Welcome to Gaia! ::

I sometimes wonder if graphics stayed the same if people would still say everything past X felt too different. All the FFs are different from each other. The jump is when they added better graphics, voices, and began experimenting with new battle systems.
Would it not be VII that was the point things began to feel different? Since I believe at this point they had begun to try more sci-fi-ish elements? (correct me if I'm wrong, I've yet to play anything before VII)
Haven't read the all of the posts in this topic, so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been said:

1.) The card games from FF8 and FF9. They weren't nessicary to the plots, but they were something fun to do other than the main story line and they could be played with almost every NPC. Blitzball from FF10 was fun for me, but something seemed to be missing that I can't quite put my finger on. FF10-2's blitz ball game was very boring to me as was the coin game (which felt tacked on).
2.) I am one of those who miss the world map. Not because of the running around, but mostly because of the flying. Sometimes I would just zoom around on the map because it was fun for me. I dislike teleporting everywhere and the flat world maps of FF10, FF10-2, and FF12 made the world feel like it was somehow smaller.than the previous games. I would prefer to somehow fly around to different locations by pilotting an airship. If that did not include running around on a world map as a giant person I would be fine with it, so long as I got to fly my ship around the world mrgreen
3.) I do not like the battle systems from FF12, FF13 and FF13-2. Felt like it was on auto pilot most of the time and you could only control one character at a time. I liked giving each character instructions on what to do. Yes, it was tedious and at times it could get annoying, but at least I was involved in the combat.
4.) I liked how the monsters appeared on the maps in FF13. They weren't random battles where they pop in out of nowhere, and some of them interacted with one another. They also appeared as if they were part of the enviornment not just stuck onto a landscape, which is what it seemed like to me in FF12. And they took it out for 13-2 stare
5.) The inns and tents and having to actually manage the health of the party or risk someone dieing. Having to rest and heal brought a bit of realism to a fictional world and I loved it. Healing at a save point or instantly at the end of a battle seems too easy.
6.) The chocobo breeding and racing from FF7. I was bored to tears with the chocobo racing in 13-2, so I had to mention this one.
7.) The game actually ending after the end of the story. In FF13 and FF13-2 the game could be continued.... With dead characters? I find it odd and pointless. The storyline was the point of the game was it not? Once the credits role that should be it neutral
8.) The music and video spheres from FF10 and FF10-2. I liked being able to see those cinematic moments or listening to the music if I wanted to. I could share the moment(s) with my dad who couldn't (and still can't) play a game to save his life.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Turnilk

3.) I do not like the battle systems from FF12, FF13 and FF13-2. Felt like it was on auto pilot most of the time and you could only control one character at a time. I liked giving each character instructions on what to do. Yes, it was tedious and at times it could get annoying, but at least I was involved in the combat.

Can't really lump XII into this one, since you can turn off gambits, giving you full control the the entire party minus summons and guests. They're only there to do the mundane work, and keep the player from being overwhelmed.

Turnilk

8.) The music and video spheres from FF10 and FF10-2. I liked being able to see those cinematic moments or listening to the music if I wanted to. I could share the moment(s) with my dad who couldn't (and still can't) play a game to save his life.

Completely agree. ♥ X-2 was my first FF. Then X. I knew nothing about FF then so when I went on to play other games I was pretty disappointed to find they all didn't have a sphere theatre like system.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
MooMooJuice
I sometimes wonder if graphics stayed the same if people would still say everything past X felt too different. All the FFs are different from each other. The jump is when they added better graphics, voices, and began experimenting with new battle systems.
Would it not be VII that was the point things began to feel different? Since I believe at this point they had begun to try more sci-fi-ish elements? (correct me if I'm wrong, I've yet to play anything before VII)

You are right, FF1-6 didn't really have anything sci-fi-ish about them, we have small bits and pieces like Fusoya, Cecil, Kluya and Golbez who comes from the moon/we travel to the moon in IV and in V we have a meteor that ends up hitting 'earth' but really, other then that, there are not really much mention of other space stuff unless I am missing something.
MooMooJuice
Turnilk

Can't really lump XII into this one, since you can turn off gambits, giving you full control the the entire party minus summons and guests. They're only there to do the mundane work, and keep the player from being overwhelmed.

I can and did put FF12 with FF13 and FF13-2. Though I am well aware that while playing 12 gambits could be turned off and orders could be given to other party mates, it still felt like it didn't really need the player there for the most part. This is completely personal opinion though and anyone is more than welcome to disagree.

MooMooJuice
Turnilk

Completely agree. ♥ X-2 was my first FF. Then X. I knew nothing about FF then so when I went on to play other games I was pretty disappointed to find they all didn't have a sphere theatre like system.

Agreed. Though they couldn't go back and change the older games to include to include the feature, I really wish they had included it in the games after FF10 and FF10-2.

FF9 was my first one. Every once in a while I go back and play it. Gotta say I miss the involvement of the chocobos had in games like 7 and 9. In FF7 they could be bred and raced, and in FF9 there was a entire side quest to play with. It seemed they were less of a part of the games after FF9. It could just be me though.
Nafretiti
MooMooJuice

You are right, FF1-6 didn't really have anything sci-fi-ish about them, we have small bits and pieces like Fusoya, Cecil, Kluya and Golbez who comes from the moon/we travel to the moon in IV and in V we have a meteor that ends up hitting 'earth' but really, other then that, there are not really much mention of other space stuff unless I am missing something.

Both FF7 and FF8 had some sci-fi in them
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk

I can and did put FF12 with FF13 and FF13-2. Though I am well aware that while playing 12 gambits could be turned off and orders could be given to other party mates, it still felt like it didn't really need the player there for the most part. This is completely personal opinion though and anyone is more than welcome to disagree.

But you can control all the characters all of the time. In no way does XII ever not let you do that (excluding guests and summons).
The only difference is that the menu doesn't pop up automatically when a character is ready for a new command.
Turnilk
Nafretiti
MooMooJuice

Both FF7 and FF8 had some sci-fi in them

We're talking about series before VII.
MooMooJuice
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk

But you can control all the characters all of the time. In no way does XII ever not let you do that (excluding guests and summons).
The only difference is that the menu doesn't pop up automatically when a character is ready for a new command.

You only move one character and the others follow so I consider it controlling only one at a time. With gambits on you do almost nothing other than move your character around and they automatically do everything. With gambits off, I suppose its a bit like the older games, but something is still off about it and it isn't just the menu system.

I no longer wish to argue about it. If you like it, fine. I do not and my opinion will not change.
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk

You only move one character and the others follow so I consider it controlling only one at a time. With gambits on you do almost nothing other than move your character around and they automatically do everything. With gambits off, I suppose its a bit like the older games, but something is still off about it and it isn't just the menu system.

I no longer wish to argue about it. If you like it, fine. I do not and my opinion will not change.

Ultimately, gambits must be set up by the player. There is no AI like in XIII and XIII-2. If the character has no gambits set, even while they're turned on, they will do nothing. The system is only doing what the user themselves would have done anyway, it's just taking away the repetitiveness of it.
It has a different feel, it has to, because it's using a ATB system with enemies that appear directly on the field instead of a alternate plain. but is ultimately the same system. And unlike XIII and XIII-2, you can make it so you can control every single thing every character does all the time. If you still use gambits, then that's your choice.
but whatever...
MooMooJuice
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk
MooMooJuice

Ultimately, gambits must be set up by the player. There is no AI like in XIII and XIII-2. If the character has no gambits set, even while they're turned on, they will do nothing. The system is only doing what the user themselves would have done anyway, it's just taking away the repetitiveness of it.
It has a different feel, it has to, because it's using a ATB system with enemies that appear directly on the field instead of a alternate plain. but is ultimately the same system. And unlike XIII and XIII-2, you can make it so you can control every single thing every character does all the time. If you still use gambits, then that's your choice.
but whatever...

Turnilk
If you like it, fine. I do not and my opinion will not change.
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk
MooMooJuice
Turnilk

but whatever...

Turnilk
If you like it, fine. I do not and my opinion will not change.

No one's trying to change your opinion. Honestly, my replies were directed less towards you and more towards those who might see your post and, not having played the game, misunderstand the battle mechanics.

Lonely Smoker

i miss the world map system where you ran to new destinations controlled the airship,ect

and i believe it was only in two but the card game
MooMooJuice
No one's trying to change your opinion. Honestly, my replies were directed less towards you and more towards those who might see your post and, not having played the game, misunderstand the battle mechanics.

Then why quote me? The bits I did mention about the battle system were not untrue. For example: the menu could be opened to give comands (true), you can only move one chracter at a time and the others follow (true), gambits tell your other party members what to do (true)(not my exact wording though), gambits could be turned off (true). And saying that I did not like the battle system is true, because I didn't and still don't. neutral

Back to the topic of this thread though:
9.) I miss the bestiary from FF12. They put a lot of work into each monster having its own page with details about it and killing enough of that monster usually opened up more pages. Since I liked collecting those snippets and seeing what they said so I found it to be an encouragement to go out and grind. When they took it away in 13 and 13-2 I was rather sad about it.

*numbering system is continued from my first post.
Yorimi
i miss the world map system where you ran to new destinations controlled the airship,ect

and i believe it was only in two but the card game

I miss both systems. The map mainly because I liked flying an airship, and the card game because it was a nice break from battles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff