ATB/CTB turn-based battles.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

ATB isn't turn-based to begin with. The bar fills up, and you attack when it's finished. Turn-based is what X had. The party and monsters took pre-set turns that changed only when Slow or Haste was put onto a party member or enemy.

The only thing that has really changed with ATB from then to now is that it's faster, and you can use segments of the bar rather than having to wait for the whole bar because some abilities use less of the bar than others. And even then, that's just XIII. X-2 and XII both used typical ATB systems and are fairly recent.

So I suppose you miss the slower ATB system? xD

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Cupcakesu
User Image

ATB isn't turn-based to begin with. The bar fills up, and you attack when it's finished. Turn-based is what X had. The party and monsters took pre-set turns that changed only when Slow or Haste was put onto a party member or enemy.

The only thing that has really changed with ATB from then to now is that it's faster, and you can use segments of the bar rather than having to wait for the whole bar because some abilities use less of the bar than others. And even then, that's just XIII. X-2 and XII both used typical ATB systems and are fairly recent.

So I suppose you miss the slower ATB system? xD

It's still turn-based, but I don't really feel like arguing about the definition of "turn-based."

I suppose I just prefer the old-school ATB system, then. You know, the kind 4-9 had.

I liked the battle systems of X and XIII/XIII-2, just not as much.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

What was different about X-2's or XII's ATB Systems, though? Unless I'm missing an important detail, they were exactly the same concept. o;

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Cupcakesu
User Image

What was different about X-2's or XII's ATB Systems, though? Unless I'm missing an important detail, they were exactly the same concept. o;

I haven't actually played X-2.

XII's bugged me because I always had to keep moving my characters around. I don't mind that in an action-based system, but not in a turn-based one.
Then again, I haven't played XII in years. I might like it better now.

If you mean "why weren't they turn-based," technically they were - I just wasn't using the term loosely.
XIII made me miss the games being good.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Vornwrath

Oh look, another XIII hater who treats his opinion as fact.
I don't really miss anything, since I don't think the older games are anywhere near as good as the newer ones.
xx Cookie-Boots xx
Vornwrath

Oh. I'm sorry. I like it when the games have well developed characters, exploration, no "win" button, dialog that isn't terrible and stories that don't go out of their way to not explain themselves. You have to read the ******** journal in that game just to know what is going on. IF I WANT TO READ A STORY, I WILL READ A ******** BOOK, SQUARE. Mass Effect did the journal right. It filled out a lot of details of the world, but it was not NECESSARY tro fully understand the story of the game. Final Fantasy XIII SUCKS.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Vornwrath
xx Cookie-Boots xx
Vornwrath

Oh. I'm sorry. I like it when the games have well developed characters, exploration, no "win" button, dialog that isn't terrible and stories that don't go out of their way to not explain themselves. You have to read the ******** journal in that game just to know what is going on. IF I WANT TO READ A STORY, I WILL READ A ******** BOOK, SQUARE. Mass Effect did the journal right. It filled out a lot of details of the world, but it was not NECESSARY tro fully understand the story of the game. Final Fantasy XIII SUCKS.

I didn't touch the journal once and I understood it. neutral

I really don't mind if you don't like the game - each to his own. I get why people wouldn't like it and respect that.
What I hate is when you elitist fanboys treat your opinion like objective fact. It's not.
xx Cookie-Boots xx
Vornwrath
xx Cookie-Boots xx
Vornwrath

I didn't touch the journal once and I understood it. neutral

I really don't mind if you don't like the game - each to his own. I get why people wouldn't like it and respect that.
What I hate is when you elitist fanboys treat your opinion like objective fact. It's not.
It is necessary to fully understand the game. The game never bothers to explain what things like l'cie and fal'cie are. The journal does that for you. It throws all these terms at you that they just made up and does not bother to explain them. The game is excessively stupid. Square did not want to make a game. They wanted to tell a story. That is painfully obvious with the almost non existent gameplay. Run in a straight line. Fight a battle where you are encouraged to use auto battle. Watch a cut scene. Repeat. This is it. that is all the gameplay that FFXIII has. It's ******** sad. What happened to the sense of exploration that the good Final Fantasy games have? What happened to the depth in the battle system? Where did all the strategy go? Even the upgrade paths are ******** linear in FFXIII. Square just wanted to tell a story. It is too bad, then, that the story is poorly written with bad dialog, plot holes, moments that make no sense, gaps in logic and little to no character development. What happened Square? You used to know how to develop characters and write interesting stories. You just have to go back to FFXII to see that.
Being Telluric
I don't really miss anything, since I don't think the older games are anywhere near as good as the newer ones.
Final Fantasy VI is the best man. IV and V are brilliant, as well. IX and Tactics are, also, fantastic.
Vornwrath
Being Telluric
Final Fantasy VI is the best man. IV and V are brilliant, as well. IX and Tactics are, also, fantastic.

They're not bad games.

I just think the newer ones are better.

XII and the Dissidia games particularly strike me as the best in the series thus far.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff