Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I have been ill as of late and since I was stuck in hospital for a week and now at home with my foot elevated (well, meant to, bed is just too boring) I have been playing through the old Final Fantasy games and I am up to Final Fantasy VIII now and I have been noticing how much stuff I actually miss from the old Final Fantasy games like Demon Wall, some of the old monsters (I want Cait Sith back as a monster), inn's (screw save points! I want to go into an inn and rejuvenate! ) etc but as we know Square seems to want to go more futuristic and I guess they can, it is their game after all.

But what about you guys? What do you miss about the Final Fantasy games?
There's not really anything I miss per se, as I do look forward to every new adventure for better or for worse. I DO miss buying a final fantasy game and NOT bein disappointed in it haha, but I guess if I had to pick one thing, I think the newer games don't reference the older games as much. Sure there's a Lindblum here and a Garland there, but feel like the last couple of entrees have sort of isolated themselves from the series a bit.

Oh actually, there is a few things I miss. Big parties for o thing. I liked have a large variety of choices to pick from when building my party. Since X-2 though, I've only gotten 2, 3, or no more than 6 people not counting the MMOs. I also miss limit breaks. Real limit breaks. Not quickenings or 'full atb attacks'. And on that note, I miss non-job system-based battle systems. I love the job systems, but every single major entry since X-2 has had one except for XII (and 13 and 13-2 only had six 'jobs' to choose from). Give it a rest already!
Kuja9113
There's not really anything I miss per se, as I do look forward to every new adventure for better or for worse. I DO miss buying a final fantasy game and NOT bein disappointed in it haha, but I guess if I had to pick one thing, I think the newer games don't reference the older games as much. Sure there's a Lindblum here and a Garland there, but feel like the last couple of entrees have sort of isolated themselves from the series a bit.

Oh actually, there is a few things I miss. Big parties for o thing. I liked have a large variety of choices to pick from when building my party. Since X-2 though, I've only gotten 2, 3, or no more than 6 people not counting the MMOs. I also miss limit breaks. Real limit breaks. Not quickenings or 'full atb attacks'. And on that note, I miss non-job system-based battle systems. I love the job systems, but every single major entry since X-2 has had one except for XII (and 13 and 13-2 only had six 'jobs' to choose from). Give it a rest already!

I do see all of your points and I will raise you a few.

1: Yes a larger number of people does make it a lot more interesting and varied, but on the other hand it can make things more interesting and offer up a certain challenge. To the point of XIII-2, I did greatly enjoy it. They improved so much, and pretty much perfected the battle system (in my oppionion of course). But, the lack of a 3rd powerful team member does get a little annoying. Then again, I haven't gotten too many monsters yet, so maybe that could change.

2: The job systems do offer some good customizing and are one of the reasons massive parties aren't needed as much. Getting to switch freely between the jobs of an established character makes formulatings strategies for different fights much more simple and faster as well. And with XII's set up, classes weren't needed sense it had the MOST character customizing mechanics I have ever seen.

3: And finally, I agree that there should be more pervious game shout outs.

Fated Paladin

I miss a certain couple of villains who didn't make it into either Dissidia. emotion_donotwant
-never getting over it-

There's not really a lot that I miss, but I suppose I miss having fixed job classes. I think it's kinda boring when everyone can have the same jobs or abilities.

One thing I don't miss is the world map. I hope it never comes back. talk2hand

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Kether Taninniver

One thing I don't miss is the world map. I hope it never comes back. talk2hand
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

Oh gosh this. This and that damn prelude.

In general there's not much I really "miss" per say. I would love to see a job system like X-2's again. Or perhaps more set roles like IX to give each party member a unique niche. Other than that...

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I am a bit on the fence about world maps, I hate them for the simple fact that they can be damn right annoying to get around at times (take the whole finding the white SeeD ship in FFVIII for example) and yet I do like them as well.
I feel like SE continues to make good changes. Like (slowly) getting rid of random encounters. Of course I haven't been with Final Fantasy long enough to really qualify to say anything. I can't say I get that nostalgia feel when playing X-2, ha!
Kether Taninniver

I miss a certain couple of villains who didn't make it into either Dissidia. emotion_donotwant
-never getting over it-
You SHOULDN'T get over it. I certainly never will. There is no reason Shadow Lord, Vaan/Ashe and Vayne couldn't have been in the original, and no reason Dysley, Celes, Vivi, Seifer, and Seymour couldn't have been in Duodecim. Among other characters.

Fated Paladin

Kuja9113
Kether Taninniver

-never getting over it-
You SHOULDN'T get over it. I certainly never will. There is no reason Shadow Lord, Vaan/Ashe and Vayne couldn't have been in the original, and no reason Dysley, Celes, Vivi, Seifer, and Seymour couldn't have been in Duodecim. Among other characters.

Ugh, I was so hoping for Seymour, Vayne, Celes, and Vivi (I also wanted Leon, but I figured Square wouldn't bother with I, II, and III). I'd especially been wanting Seymour since the first Dissidia trailer. When he wasn't, I had hope he'd be Duodecim since Mateus said Jecht was on Team Cosmos before and there'd be an empty spot on Chaos's side. Plus, Yuna was in it and Seymour would be the best choice as her rival. But nope~ BAD GUY TIDUS emotion_facepalm So unbelievably disappointing.
Kether Taninniver
Kuja9113
Kether Taninniver

-never getting over it-

Ugh, I was so hoping for Seymour, Vayne, Celes, and Vivi (I also wanted Leon, but I figured Square wouldn't bother with I, II, and III). I'd especially been wanting Seymour since the first Dissidia trailer. When he wasn't, I had hope he'd be Duodecim since Mateus said Jecht was on Team Cosmos before and there'd be an empty spot on Chaos's side. Plus, Yuna was in it and Seymour would be the best choice as her rival. But nope~ BAD GUY TIDUS emotion_facepalm So unbelievably disappointing.
Oh my every yes. I felt the exact same way about all of those things.

And look. I'm really not that crazy about Dysley, but they brought Lightning and no XIII villain at all? No Vayne? No Shadow Lord? No XIV? What the eff.

Friendly Bookworm

I miss everything about it when i actually do sit down to play it. emotion_0A0

God, I hate my job. emotion_8c

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
I don't really miss anything, actually. I find that most everything I could want makes its way into one of the games within 2-3 main series entries, or sooner if you count spinoffs. The OP mentioned Cait Sith, for instance - that *is* in both XIII and one of the more recent XI expansions. They're adorable.

I'd say Dragoons, but then you've got Fang, Tactics A2, and XI's/XIV's player characters. I'd say I miss airships, except that they *are* in the newer titles, you just don't get as good of a look at them due to the lack of a world map. And, really, the designs themselves are far superior to anything short of Ragnarok, anyway. whee

The series is actually really good about bringing back old stuff and remixing it. You're never too far from some sort of throwback reference, even if most may not recognize it at first glance. Like how the Behemoths in XIII switch between bestial and bipedal stances, as if to show off the different ways they've been presented in past games. 3nodding

Angelic Miko

11,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Megathread 100
I just finished ff7 (i'm in an old game mode of play all my old ps1 games though I borrowed ff7) and compared to current games I must say I loved the matira as well as turn base style battles better before than now.
All I'm gonna say is... when I excitedly put my FF13 into my PS3 and gawked, jaw-on-the-floor at the visuals, I was in a confused fury when the victory fanfare didn't play. *sniff*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff