NES/SNES 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 6 ]
PS1 0.42424242424242 42.4% [ 14 ]
PS2 0.15151515151515 15.2% [ 5 ]
PS3/Xbox 0.03030303030303 3.0% [ 1 ]
All 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 6 ]
None/other 0.03030303030303 3.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 33 ]
1 2 >

Curious about what others would want to see in future Final Fantasy titles.

Should the series take itself less seriously? Inject more humour into it's games?
A change in it's battle system?
Move away from the standard class system?

I think I want to see more thought into the battle system. I liked that I actually needed to pay attention in the more recent FFXIII series. Sitting there hammering on X for 15 minutes in the past during boss battles got really boring.
SailorVera
I think I want to see more thought into the battle system. I liked that I actually needed to pay attention in the more recent FFXIII series. Sitting there hammering on X for 15 minutes in the past during boss battles got really boring.
It's funny you say that cuz I feel the opposite. I felt that FFX's bosses were bursting with strategy, but FFXIII's bosses were button mash city. At least with auto-battle, they're definitely much more fun without it.

But anyway, I don't really have anything specific I'd like to see. I always look forward to the new ideas they bring to each game. I would, however, like to see reasonable development times. FF1-11 were each released about 2 years apart, now all of a sudden we're having to wait 4+ years per game. The wait for 15 is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Other than that, I hope that FFXIX will be another homage game of all the previous entries like FFIX was.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kuja9113
SailorVera
It's funny you say that cuz I feel the opposite. I felt that FFX's bosses were bursting with strategy, but FFXIII's bosses were button mash city. At least with auto-battle, they're definitely much more fun without it.

But anyway, I don't really have anything specific I'd like to see. I always look forward to the new ideas they bring to each game. I would, however, like to see reasonable development times. FF1-11 were each released about 2 years apart, now all of a sudden we're having to wait 4+ years per game. The wait for 15 is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Other than that, I hope that FFXIX will be another homage game of all the previous entries like FFIX was.
I suspect she meant hammering on the X button, not X as in Final fantasy Ten.

But anyway, more reasonable development times certainly, I wish they would focus their efforts more on the main series, perhaps with an odd sequel/prequel, but not a whole compilation or trilogy planned off the bat.

PS1 was definitely the golden era of Final Fantasy, with a bit of spill over into VI and X, and I'm positive that's down to more thought out plots, brilliant art direction and stunning backdrops (not X so much on that one) and Nobuo Uematsu.

While the latter of those may have sailed, I'm sure they could still hit all three fairly well if they just focused on a main title for a couple of years instead of Theatrythm, Dimensions, All The Bravest, Crystal Chronicles Whatever, Four Heroes of Light, XI, XI, XI, XIV, XIV, XIV, Airborn Brigade... need I go on?
Bravely Default on a console under the name Final Fantasy. It is much more of a real Final Fantasy game than FFXIII is
Seraphor
I suspect she meant hammering on the X button, not X as in Final fantasy Ten.
Oh my god, I feel so stupid now. I totally misread that. sweatdrop

Seraphor
But anyway, more reasonable development times certainly, I wish they would focus their efforts more on the main series, perhaps with an odd sequel/prequel, but not a whole compilation or trilogy planned off the bat.

PS1 was definitely the golden era of Final Fantasy, with a bit of spill over into VI and X, and I'm positive that's down to more thought out plots, brilliant art direction and stunning backdrops (not X so much on that one) and Nobuo Uematsu.

While the latter of those may have sailed, I'm sure they could still hit all three fairly well if they just focused on a main title for a couple of years instead of Theatrythm, Dimensions, All The Bravest, Crystal Chronicles Whatever, Four Heroes of Light, XI, XI, XI, XIV, XIV, XIV, Airborn Brigade... need I go on?
Agreed. I generally am not a fan of the sequels; they're usually fun to play but stupid as s**t otherwise. But I understand the need to produce side-games in order to continue making revenue. Just as long as, like you said, we don't get horde after horde of garbage sequels and spin-offs, while we only get one main series title every 4+ years. They used to deliver three main series games per console generation, and in one shot, FFXIII undid that.
The time taken between each major installment is a bit atrocious.
If FFXV doesn't save the franchise though, I don't know what I'll do. It's been in development for 7+ years already and they've almost nothing to show for it....
multi-player campaigns.

i really do love cooperative gaming. it's possible to incorporate a multi-player final fantasy game while allowing it to play as a single player game whenever ai controlled party members aren't being controlled by human players, if that's what the player prefers.

i used to play ffix with my brother literally all the time when we were younger. i battled as dagger, vivi, eiko, and quina while my brother controlled the other four. of course in this age of final fantasy, i would expect to control my character outside of battle as well.

it was a lot of fun and i think multi-player cooperative gaming in a smaller game (not like the two mmos xi and xiv) will bring a lot of new features to the final fantasy series.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Toriyama's excommunication.

Chatty Sex Symbol

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Millionaire 200
Anything but Lightning
Really though, All I want is good battle system (my personal favorite was FFX), good story, and amazing characters that are different then most characters in the series thus far. And an amazing open world to explore.
yum_puddi
I want to see Nobuo Uematsu make a return to FF.
Raidus
I want to see Nobuo Uematsu make a return to FF.

From what I understand, they worked him to death with demands and deadlines and he just got fed up and left. It's too bad, he really put the most emotion into everything he worked on.

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I want the ability to save anywhere or at least a quick save. I know most handheld final fantasy games have a quick save but I'd like to see it on console games as well.

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
thesupremekaidbz
I want the ability to save anywhere or at least a quick save. I know most handheld final fantasy games have a quick save but I'd like to see it on console games as well.
it isn't a quick save but the ps4/vita allows you to turn of your device without losing progress in game. smile

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
You know I've been thinking about this for a few days now.
"What would I like Final Fantasy XVI to be?"
I've probably been over thinking it like everything else but what the heck.

You know how we've had several incarnations of Espers, Eidolons and so forth, but we've only had one lot of Guardian Forces.
Maybe it's time for a revival of Guardian Forces?

Also, most Final Fantasy titles these days tend to be loosely based around or involve a load of inspiration from certain cultures.
VIII was very European, X was based on Indonesian cultures, Type-0 is based around China's warring era or whatever it's called, with some soviet union inspiration as well. XV is heavily influenced by modern day Tokyo, with some Italian Renaissance thrown in.
Well one culture I'd like to see emulated in some way is some Native American cultures, North American mainly, but maybe Aztec, Inca, Mayan as well.

Also, what battles systems, or parts of battle systems, would I like to see again? V, VIII and some parts of XIII. I could see meshing together quite well.
V's dual-jobbing. VIII's assignment of a summon to a character, and XIII's way of uniting character and summon, or perhaps two characters together.

And so I came up with the following idea:

You have six main characters, each have their respective weapons and each represent a physical job class.
Knight, Thief, Archer, Monk, Dragoon, Berserker

Then you have your Guardian Forces, but rather than the techy, junctionable GF's from VIII's, these are a more mystical iteration.
In this world there are Animal Spirits. Some of these spirits become guardians of individuals or groups, and acquire the title of Guardian Spirits. Some of these are very powerful spirits, so powerful they are a force of nature, and so you get Guardian Forces.
Each Guardian Force is an animal form, some familiar FF staples, others original, and each GF also represents a different Magic job class.

Bismarck, the serpent, water element, Black Magic
Phoenix, the fowl, holy element, White Magic
Catoblepas, the boar, fire element, Red Magic
Cait Sith, the cat, earth element, Blue Magic
Ixion, the horse, lightning element, Green Magic (synergist)
Garuda, the eagle, wind element, Arcane Magic (saboteur)
Kangadmi, the ape, ice element, Time Magic
Fenrir, the wolf, dark element, Dark Magic

Each character can join up with one GF at a time, forming this physical-magic combo, utilising the skills of a Dragoon with the magic of a Time Mage for example. They would have special abilities that can be applied to physical attacks and magic spells. So say the Thief's unique ability of Double-Strike, attacking an enemy twice in one go. This would then become Doublecast when applied to magic, you could Doublecast Cura as a Thief-Whitemage, or Doublecast Ultima as a Thief-Blackmage. Monk could have Focus, increasing the power of physical and magic attacks alike. Dragoon could have Slash-all, targeting all enemies with Fire instead of just one. Archer would have the ability to ignore defence, or magic defence. The Knight could parry physical attacks when defending, dealing some damage in return, or absorb magic spells when defending, charging up his next magic spell.
Some characters would have higher magic stats than others, so the Thief or Archer might be more adept at being a Black or White mage, but your Green Mage and Arcane Mage wouldn't need to rely on their Magic stats so much, seeing as Protect or Shell work the same either way, so these could be paired up more efficiently with your Knight or Dragoon.

I have more ideas, but unless anyone else asks for them, this is enough wall-o-text for one day.
(incidentally that's why you don't see Shiva or Ifrit up there, I have other ideas for them)

So yeah, that's what I'd like in a new Final Fantasy...
Seraphor
for what it's worth, i actually like this very much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff