Welcome to Gaia! ::

What is the best order to play FF1 through FF6?

Release Order Playthrough 0.625 62.5% [ 5 ]
Different Order (Please Specify) 0.375 37.5% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]

Original Informer

7,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Hello all,

As one whose knowledge of Final Fantasy does not go much beyond FF7 and FF10, I have a question for all of those veterans of the franchise. I have only played small amounts of FF1 through FF6. I know there are divisive opinions on each of them and everybody has their own favorites, so I won't get into that here. I will just say that I have now, at my disposal, GBA and DS cartridges of the first six Final Fantasy games, and I really want to play through them in some order so that I can really understand why people like these early games.

My question is this: which order would be ideal for someone who is only familiar with the new Final Fantasy games? I am an avid gamer, and my gaming repertoire consists of a lot of Pokémon and JRPGs, so I am familiar with grinding and such (and I actually enjoy grinding, personally).

I have considered a release order playthrough, but people have been telling me that this is not ideal because of the shifts back and forth between job systems, stories, and character between each of the games.

Tell me, what would all of you suggest so that I can have the best experience with a franchise that is so near and dear to people's hearts?

(Not going to go into anything beyond FF6 right now. I am in Korea and do not have access to PlayStations and the like.)
I don't see any problem with playing them in release order. Are you very familiar with the series at all? If not, then you should know that every game is completely different. From the story to the world map to the characters to the battle system to the music, etc etc. There is very little that actually holds the series together, so you could literally play the series in any order you feel like. You could play 2, 6, 12, 4, 15, 3, etc if you'd like and it wouldn't matter.

However I'm still gonna recommend playing in release order. My first games were 10, 7, 10-2, 8, and 9 (in that order). I played all of the more modern games before I played the older ones, and I the played them as 1, 2, 4, (12), 3, 5, 6. Only reason I played 12 then was because it had just come out at the time. And 3 was on it's way out for DS when I played 4.

Anyway, so I practically played them in order and it was fine. 1, 3, and 5 are only vaguely similar because they all use some form of job system, and they all use the crystals as their base plot device.

If you wanna play them in release order, one thing you'll have to look forward to is the increase of quality in story telling and mechanics (for the most part). Whether or not 2 is better than 5 is really up to your own opinion, but 2 (as an example) has much more primitive battle mechanics than 5 (as an example).

tl;dr: Play them in release order, you'll be fine. And you'll only subject yourself to a fanboy war of which is better, 4 or 6? Plus if you've never played the franchise at all, you can have the special opportunity of playing them all in release order. Something I very much wish I'd had the chance to do.

Questionable Muse

19,875 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I have played I-VI multiple times, and it's all about player preference. They are all different in their own way. I would not recommend playing VI first simply because it may set the bar too high for the others. whee

All in all, have fun with it. Final Fantasy is a lovely series!
It just doesn't matter at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces