Welcome to Gaia! ::

Silver Highlights
Temmy
I enjoyed FF12, but I really do wish we could have played Matsuno's original vision of it, instead of what we got.

You mean like when Basch was supposed to be the main character and we could've had the Zodiac Job System in the beginning?

Well, that stuff too, but I particularly noticed it in the story. You can kind of see the gist of what Matsuno was trying to go for, but FF12's story seemed a bit meandering (to me) for a guy who is known to be intensely purposeful in his writing.

Oh well, looking forward to Crimson Shroud, even though I don't have a 3DS yet. The region lock thing is turning me off...

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Temmy
Silver Highlights
Temmy
I enjoyed FF12, but I really do wish we could have played Matsuno's original vision of it, instead of what we got.

You mean like when Basch was supposed to be the main character and we could've had the Zodiac Job System in the beginning?

Well, that stuff too, but I particularly noticed it in the story. You can kind of see the gist of what Matsuno was trying to go for, but FF12's story seemed a bit meandering (to me) for a guy who is known to be intensely purposeful in his writing.

Oh well, looking forward to Crimson Shroud, even though I don't have a 3DS yet. The region lock thing is turning me off...

Now that you mention it, there were some parts of the story left unexplored or underwhelming even for Matsuno. Probably with Vaan's involvement with the conflict, the Rozarrian Empire being almost unknown to the audience, the motives of the Archadians besides Vayne. Plus the ending where the war supposedly ends could've expanded on and how it all works out in the end.

Also, you're not the only one looking forward to Crimson Shroud =). I just hope someone could buy a 3DS for me for Christmas later on.
Crimson Shroud, huh? Gonna have to write that one down. I was thinking about getting a 3DS next year when Fire Emblem came out.

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
MooMooJuice
Crimson Shroud, huh? Gonna have to write that one down. I was thinking about getting a 3DS next year when Fire Emblem came out.

Crimson Shroud is directed by Yasumi Matsuo with music by Hitoshi Sakimoto and art by Akihiko Yoshida. Basically the same creative star line up who made Ivalice, except we get a small 3DS RPG that takes inspiration from table top games since it uses figurines as character models and rolls multi-sided dice.
Silver Highlights
Now that you mention it, there were some parts of the story left unexplored or underwhelming even for Matsuno. Probably with Vaan's involvement with the conflict, the Rozarrian Empire being almost unknown to the audience, the motives of the Archadians besides Vayne. Plus the ending where the war supposedly ends could've expanded on and how it all works out in the end.

Yup. On the other hand, some of the more subtle scenes (the one early on with Vaan and Reks in that white room comes to mind) were lost on many people, so I'm not sure if more exposition would've been a good thing for the game with Matsuno out of the picture. Truly a diamond in the rough.

Silver Highlights
art by Akihiko Yoshida.

The artwork is by Minaba, is it not? Yoshida and Minagawa are both still at Square Enix, so I doubt they have the freedom to do projects outside of the company. (I secretly wish they became freelancers though, so they could at least have the chance to do more work with Matsuno...)

Fashionable Tycoon

5,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
I really wish we could have maybe a movie or a game where it's based solely on the Scions of Darkness in the days before they decided to wage war against the Occuria. I'd really enjoy being able to finally see what the Scions of Light look like as well xD, FF XII was just amazing. <3 Ivalice

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Dreadful Insanity
I really wish we could have maybe a movie or a game where it's based solely on the Scions of Darkness in the days before they decided to wage war against the Occuria. I'd really enjoy being able to finally see what the Scions of Light look like as well xD, FF XII was just amazing. <3 Ivalice

That'd be interesting, or maybe even as a book that details the war with the Occuria. To be honest though, if it doesn't come to giving us a concrete image of the Scions of Light, that's fine. It just gives them a sense of wonder in their mystery, and sometimes audiences fill in non-plot hole gaps with their imagination, which usually works with untouched details and open-ended conclusions.

Vicious Loverboy

26,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
I take it none of you are familiar with the last obscure title in the Ivalician Timeline?

Vagrant Story IS officially part of this timeline and is set WAY WAY after FFT.

In fact, since Vagrant Story came out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before Final Fantasy XII, when I played XII, it felt like the creators kept tipping their hat and nodding in it's direction.

A great example of this is how Nabudis and Lea Monde are almost eerily destroyed.

Nabudis was destroyed by Redd's deliverance of the stone and Lea Monde by "natural disasters." One could highly speculate that Lea Monde IS Nabudis in the future and the disasters are nothing more than the destruction the stone caused still affects that area.

Another was the final boss fight in FFXII felt so eerily similar to Vagrant Story's last one.
Briza Daragon
Vagrant Story IS officially part of this timeline and is set WAY WAY after FFT.

Officially, yes. Depends on whether one thinks Square's or Matsuno's word weighs more... My own opinion tends to sway either way at times. Video game canon gets mighty confusing.

https://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/85673940906807296
http://i.imgur.com/JHiEl.jpg

Vicious Loverboy

26,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Screeching Savior 100
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

It is mighty confusing! I personally in that case think it is. Vagrant Story has quite a few nods to FFT in the game.

Sparkly Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
I like the detail put into the outfits for the games based in Ivalice. I could even say that just the detail for the world itself, cities, peoples, etc. is amazing. I'm a sucker for detail.

Dapper Dabbler

I don't like XII, but I do like Ivalice. I know it better from FFTA. It's such an interesting world and I like the different races. I really like how the races aren't the stereotypical elves, dwarves, etc.

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Tenkohime
I don't like XII, but I do like Ivalice. I know it better from FFTA. It's such an interesting world and I like the different races. I really like how the races aren't the stereotypical elves, dwarves, etc.

I know, right? It's stupid how most fantasy RPGs are so damn attached to the traditional medieval fantasy.

Dapper Explorer

I pray for the day they release another game into the Ivalice Alliance. Even though it looks as if they won't do so, I still keep on dreaming...
I enjoy the diversity of races and the lore involved with them to be quite a fun prospect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff