Welcome to Gaia! ::

O.G. Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I played final fantasy games like Advanced Tactics 1 & 2, but i never got a chance to finish them and also Final Fantasy Ring of Fates Crystal Chronicles. I also watched the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children when i was 10 and i think i still have the dvd. But i never really understood the series so i plan on buying FInal Fantasy XV when it comes out. Is there anything i should know or do before I get the game? Can someone tell me the basics?

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
The most important thing to realize about Final Fantasy is that the games have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They're all different games that just happen to be made by the same company, and reuse a couple of mascot characters or monster types. You can pick up any of them as your very first game in the series and not miss a thing, and you can even go back and play the others in any order you want. As long as it doesn't have a second number in the name (X-II, XIII-II, etc.), then you don't need to know *anything* before playing. 3nodding

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
It'd help to know the release date and pricing of the game first, as well as maybe some opinions on people in various places as to whether its worth it or has content that is disagreeable.

Lore wise, nope. XV itself used to be a spin-off of XIII but they realized XIII's mythology sucks so now it should be stand alone.

Angelic Nitemare

As with most FF games, be prepared to lose large chunks of time.

But the story usually makes it worth the effort.
I watched Advent Children without knowing the plot in FF7 and had no idea what was going on.

O.G. Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Raidus
I watched Advent Children without knowing the plot in FF7 and had no idea what was going on.

me either. I just liked the action. lol

Friendly Bookworm

We're still going to be waiting just a wee bit longer on XV. I will say through, be prepared to buy a PS4 or get one this Christmas.

For now, why not play the other games? They're easy to get for an affordable price and just about all of them are ported to this generation of consoles.

If you wanted to understand Advent Children a lot better, you can get Final Fantasy VII for $10 on the PS3 or PSP (Through the PSN) or on your PC. Also, I find Advent Children Complete to be the best to understand because the little plot holes were filled in for the most part.

Sparkly Dabbler

9,600 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
It's good to keep in mind that the taste of the fandom is extremely varied. While you might hear general consensus opinions about the games ( for example: VII is the best, XII is boring, XIII sucks etc.) still go and form your own opinion of them. You'll find that some fans enjoy the so called "worst games". Really each FF is different and appeal to different taste. Some things click for people and other things don't. I think any of the games are not really bad when it comes down to considering them as video games. Don't hesitate to try ones that others mostly say suck or are boring. You may find that for yourself, you like it or that you happen to hate it just as much as the majority of fans. Just give things a chance before writing them off.
*The fandom on the internet is often very outspoken about their opinions on games so do keep that in mind.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Absolute Claws
XV itself used to be a spin-off of XIII but they realized XIII's mythology sucks so now it should be stand alone.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

No. No. No. nO. Nooooo.

XV was never a "spin off" of XIII in the traditional sense, nor was the mythology ever noted to be "XIII's mythology".

The mythology was created first, and XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII were all to INTERPRET this mythology in their own fashion and however they please.

>:c

It should also be noted that the person who created/wrote this mythology is the same person who is writing Versus XIII (or rather, XV's) story.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
XV itself used to be a spin-off of XIII but they realized XIII's mythology sucks so now it should be stand alone.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

No. No. No. nO. Nooooo.

XV was never a "spin off" of XIII in the traditional sense, nor was the mythology ever noted to be "XIII's mythology".

The mythology was created first, and XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII were all to INTERPRET this mythology in their own fashion and however they please.

It should also be noted that the person who created/wrote this mythology is the same person who is writing Versus XIII (or rather, XV's) story.

So it's a spin off.

Good to hear.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Absolute Claws
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

No. No. No. nO. Nooooo.

So it's a spin off.

Good to hear.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

The only reason it could ever be conceived as a spin off was because of its name, "Versus XIII". Now it's a main title game, Final Fantasy XV. Just because it may use the same names for its gods/goddesses doesn't mean it by any means shares anything with XIII other than an overarching mythos.

Or should we just say they're all connected because everything in every Final Fantasy somehow has to deal with a crystal or something of the sort and then there's that place Gilgamesh is always in and of course all other mythological influences present in Final Fantasy? neutral

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

No. No. No. nO. Nooooo.

So it's a spin off.

Good to hear.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

The only reason it could ever be conceived as a spin off was because of its name, "Versus XIII". Now it's a main title game, Final Fantasy XV. Just because it may use the same names for its gods/goddesses doesn't mean it by any means shares anything with XIII other than an overarching mythos.

Or should we just say they're all connected because everything in every Final Fantasy somehow has to deal with a crystal or something of the sort and then there's that place Gilgamesh is always in and of course all other mythological influences present in Final Fantasy? neutral

It's a spin off because it was spun off the universe of FFXIII. 2 + 2 = ?

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Absolute Claws
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
Cupcakesu
Absolute Claws
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

No. No. No. nO. Nooooo.

So it's a spin off.

Good to hear.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

It's a spin off because it was spun off the universe of FFXIII. 2 + 2 = ?
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Except it wasn't spun off the universe of XIII because it has its own damn universe that has nothing to do with XIII's universe.
1 + 1 = ???

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces