• Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Sandokiri
Kuroshiro-san
Fated raison detre
Final Fantasy I: White Mage Only

Final Fantasy X: No Sphere Grid

Final Fantasy X-2: No Dressphere Change

Woah, you can finish FFX without using the sphere grid? Sounds impossible... I'm assuming it took lots of Zanmato-ing?

EDIT: Also, by "White Mage Only" you mean a party with 4 White Mages, or just one White Mage?

No Sphere Grid is pretty much a "gateway drug" for self-imposed challenges in FFX. At the craziest, it can take a form like:

-No Sphere Grid
-No Summoning
-No Overdrives
-No non-mandatory Blitzball playing
-No Customisation (but powering up Ultimate Weapons is ok)
-No avoiding or preventing random encounters

That sounds crazy.
Makes me wanna try it... or at least watch a commentary of it dramallama

Dapper Gekko

The only real "challenge I've done is in FFII, where you rush down to Mysidia at the very beginning and then try to break the sequence as much as you possibly can lol For a game that depends so heavily on using powerful monsters to keep you from straying into areas you're not meant to be in yet, it's a lot of fun to defy them!

FFV is one of my favorites. The class system provides a LOT of opportunities for challenges, I'd think. Try avoiding the overpowered classes in favor of the underrated ones like trainers or rangers, etc. Many of the overlooked ones have some nifty abilities you might not ever try out otherwise.
I've never been particularly interested in the challenge playthroughs, but the closest I can say is probably a low-level FFVIII playthrough. But come on, that battle system is just begging to be broken. emo

I think I beat it at level 10 anyway because I didn't care enough to petrify enemies and acquire the different cards. I think the "challenge" is beating it with Squall at level 7, but I doubt I'll go out of my way for it.

Challenges I'm more likely to do are, well more like achievements or 100% completions. Which, the only games I can say I've done that for are FF1 (GBA version), FFX-2, FFXIII and FFXIII-2 (though I still haven't managed to beat Valfodr on Normal...).
7 is pretty easy without summons.
Dante Rebellion Sparda

Here are a few of 7's better known challenges - and they make "no summons" totally casual:

IENANENPANLBCMO
Initial equipment, no accessories, no escaping, no physical attacks, no limit breaks, command materia only (and at that, no command materia that cause physical attacks.) Challenge starts outside of Midgar.

SCIENMNANE
Solo character (except where another is mandatory,) initial equip, no materia, no accessories, no escaping.

SCNIIENANE trades the "no materia" restriction for "no items" and, for obvious reasons, bans Throw, Steal, Morph, and W-Item. Batteries (mandatory) and Save Crystal are allowed.

LLNIIENACMO
Low level (less than 30,) no items, initial equip, no accessories, command materia only. This is actually an evolved form of a previous challenge that didn't use "command materia only." This version allows Deathblow and Double Cut, unlike the other... while also requiring frequent party-member deaths that cannot be easily reversed... because less than 30 is an absolute rule. If one character achieves level 30, you lose.
Sandokiri
Dante Rebellion Sparda

Here are a few of 7's better known challenges - and they make "no summons" totally casual:

IENANENPANLBCMO
Initial equipment, no accessories, no escaping, no physical attacks, no limit breaks, command materia only (and at that, no command materia that cause physical attacks.) Challenge starts outside of Midgar.

SCIENMNANE
Solo character (except where another is mandatory,) initial equip, no materia, no accessories, no escaping.

SCNIIENANE trades the "no materia" restriction for "no items" and, for obvious reasons, bans Throw, Steal, Morph, and W-Item. Batteries (mandatory) and Save Crystal are allowed.

LLNIIENACMO
Low level (less than 30,) no items, initial equip, no accessories, command materia only. This is actually an evolved form of a previous challenge that didn't use "command materia only." This version allows Deathblow and Double Cut, unlike the other... while also requiring frequent party-member deaths that cannot be easily reversed... because less than 30 is an absolute rule. If one character achieves level 30, you lose.

Have you seen.. I think it was either ASephiroth's run or some other guy who did these runs. They were pretty fun to watch.

I may try soling a FF7 run with Barret only. Which would blow with the couple boss fights that just solo Cloud (I.E Rufus, Apus and another).
Sandokiri
Kuroshiro-san
Fated raison detre
Final Fantasy I: White Mage Only

Final Fantasy X: No Sphere Grid

Final Fantasy X-2: No Dressphere Change

Woah, you can finish FFX without using the sphere grid? Sounds impossible... I'm assuming it took lots of Zanmato-ing?

EDIT: Also, by "White Mage Only" you mean a party with 4 White Mages, or just one White Mage?

No Sphere Grid is pretty much a "gateway drug" for self-imposed challenges in FFX. At the craziest, it can take a form like:

-No Sphere Grid
-No Summoning
-No Overdrives
-No non-mandatory Blitzball playing
-No Customisation (but powering up Ultimate Weapons is ok)
-No avoiding or preventing random encounters

I briefly started playing FFX, but had to sell some stuff to move. If I remember right, the NSGNSNCNONENNENBB was completed late last year.
I agree about finishing the games is a challenge enough for me.
So far I have completed 7, 10, and 12.
Working on 8 and Tactics now.

Maybe one day I will be brave enough to do a challenge

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
lvl 1 2 3 challenge in FF 12

Kawaii Shoujo

ffv is great and it doesn't get enough love. :/

Quick Reply