Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
I'll check it out after the PS3 version comes out. I always wondered what happened to the ps3 version of this game lol

Shy Borg

I've been with XIV for a while and I can't wait for 2.0.

Unfortunately, I haven't really been doing much on the game. I'll probably get back into it when 2.0 comes out. Unless MOP sucks my time away.

Granted, I could always just juggle two games.

Jayson82's Husband

Golden Fairy

17,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Awww, no sexy Roegadyn/Galka? Those big burly beardies are the entire reason I even noticed the FF mmo's.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
I've been neglecting XIV updates. So... here's a big one I guess?

FFXIV interview with GamerEscape:

Quote:

GE: What can you tell us about changes to the crafting system in 2.0?

Yoshida: In looking at the screenshot of the carpenter, you probably noticed that there is now “CP” – that stands for crafting points (tentative name). Like how the disciples of magic and war have TP, there will be a point system for the disciples of the hand, and also the disciples of the land classes as well. The new crafting system will use these points in order to utilize different actions (shown on the action bar). When crafting in the current version, the player is basically using the same skills repeatedly. With 2.0 the goal is to have a system where the players has to make more decisions as to which skill to use depending on the difficulty of the recipe and type of item. So, for example, depending on what you craft, and whether you are looking for quality or quantity, you will have to decide which skill or action will be most beneficial, and consider the CP cost of that action.

Another common complaint from the disciple of the hand players is that there is no visual representation of the available recipes. With 2.0 there will be a recipe book, which will tell you not only what is required for each recipe, but what ingredients you are missing. From there, you can click and enter the crafting interface. The goal is for a “streamlined” and “stress free” system.

We also understands that some players don’t get deep into crafting, so we also want to have a system in place where, if the item is easy enough to make, there is a one-button click to craft an item.

GE: We noticed that the action bar on the Carpenter is different from what we see currently (i.e. Throw Rock, etc.) Is this part of that new system?

Yoshida: Definitely. There will be more actions to pick and choose from for different situations.

GE: We know that there is some game content that will no longer be available with the launch of 2.0. Will any of the current achievements likewise be unavailable after 2.0?

Yoshida: Yes, there will be some that can only be obtained now. For example, since the maps will be completely changed in 2.0, aetheryte will be in different places. So there will be new achievements that players will be able to obtain based on the new locations. Another example are achievements based on participating in the current events that lead up to the Seventh Umbral Era.

GE: Could the community get a list of which current achievements will not be available in 2.0?

Yoshida: That’s a great idea! We will try to get it out with the release of 1.23. We don’t want to upset the fans.

GE: Similar to crafting, what changes can we expect to see to the battle system in 2.0? Are battle regimens going to make a comeback?

Yoshida: We are completely revamping the battle regime system. It will be graphically stunning and big.

GE: what about new jobs or classes, or other changes to battle system.

Yoshida: [Zips his lips shut] We will definitely be adding more actions and abilities for the current jobs, especially because of the addition of the new PvP gameplay. That will require all new types of crowd-control,buffing and debuffing actions. We will tell you more about this system around when beta comes out.

GE: Speaking of Beta, will there be downtime between current game and 2.0?

Yoshida: What’s going to happen is that after the current version is finished and storyline over, the servers will go down and the 2.0 beta will start up. We want to make sure we don’t make the same mistake as before, and want to be sure we have enough time not only for the beta test but also to get feedback from the players and leave enough time to implement that feedback. Also, keep in mind that transferring the characters to the new servers and systems could take up to a month. So that process will be running while the beta test is in place. There can’t be a launch immediately after the current servers are shut down.
GE: So the beta test and current game will not be operating simultaneously?

Yoshida: No. Because we need the time to convert the data from the current version to the new version, we can’t have people keep playing because they will keep updating their data. That doesn’t mean we are not going to work hard to make sure the servers aren’t down for a long time. We know that the community is there and want to maintain that community.

GE: How much downtime do you expect between the end of the beta test and the launch 2.0?

Yoshida: It won’t be anything like the next day, but we hope to have it be as short as possible. We need enough time to make sure everything is right and start it smoothly.

GE: Do you have any ideas yet on how will people get into beta?

Yoshida: We decided not to tie it directly to the legacy campaign, but we want to prioritize getting the current players that are playing now into beta.

GE: What is the one aspect of new content you are most excited for people to see.

Yoshida: The new summon system.

GE: Ummm… what can you tell us about the new summon system?

Yoshida: [Laughs] As you know there are primals – powerful demigods- in FFXIV. Summons are a staple to any Final Fantasy game, but to me, in recent games the summons have been cheapened because they are so easy to access. The current Ifrit and Garuda battles are hard, but I don’t want a world where everyone has summoned, and is walking around with, their own personal Ifrit. It cheapens how hard it was to get access to that primal. In 2.0 there will only be one of each primal per world. So one Ifrit, maybe one Shiva maybe one Ramuh, per world. These primals will be somewhere in the open world, roaming,and players will need to find them and then get together to defeat the primals. If they win and are the first to defeat it, the primal will come under their (temporary) control. For a 2-week period, the free company or linkshell who defeated the primal will have time to raise up the primals’ “gauge”. If they get it sufficiently raised, they will get to choose when and where to summon the primal for help. It could be used in any battle, and once they use it, the weather in the whole world will change so everyone in the world will know that the group used the primal. Once they summon the primal, it will of course return to the open world.

GE: Will there be a way to know the status of each primal?

Yoshida: No. Currently, we don’t want to show that. We want players to talk among themselves about the primals and their status.

GE: How does the primal gauge get raised?

Yoshida: Other than “raising its gauge” we can’t say any more right now. But what we can tell you is that it will be very community related. The capturing group is going to have to do certain things to raise the gauge.

GE: We take that that if you don’t raise the gauge within that two weeks the primal is released?

Yoshida: Exactly. Also, its not necessarily two weeks. That’s what we have now, but it could change. It will be a set period of time.

GE: We know chocobo raising is coming with 2.0, any more details you can share?

Yoshida: With chocobo raising you will be raising your chocobo not only to ride, but as a partner in battle. You can raise a chocobo in four directions – to become a tank, a healer, an attacker or a caster. This is chosen through a skill tree. Also, there will be chocobo specific barding/armor that will effect the chocobo’s skills – so it will not just be for looks.

GE: Is that a system that you would do once, or is chocobo raising more of a cycle where you would raise multiple chocobos?

Yoshida: It is still further down road map, but with the new estate/housing system, within your house there will be a personal stable where you can have multiple chocobos. This is down the road, but raising will be available at 2.0 launch.

GE: We’ve been told that with 2.0 you will be able to change genders, but can you change names? Also, will players be able to change servers at 2.0 launch?

Yoshida: As for changing names, we are working on whether it is technically possible to do that. We understand that this is a name you will be with for a long time, and want a name that fits, so we are going to do everything possible to try to do this. As for moving world servers, at launch we will be opening new servers, including more recommended servers, so we hope to be able to allow for such transfers at launch.

GE: How about server transfers after launch? Any plans?

Yoshida: That’s definitely something we are going to want to implement after launch.

GE: So are there any other new systems we can expect to see at at launch 2.0 that we don’t have now?

Yoshida: One thing that will be implemented at 2.0 launch will be new instanced raids that will require alliances of 24 players. In addition, for these, and other instanced raids, we will be adding difficulty selections. So players can play on normal difficulty and get certain items, but then try again on a hard setting in order to obtain better items.

GE: Is this in combination with the dungeon, or content, finder?

Yoshida: Yes. We’re calling it a content finder because it is not only for dungeons, but for pretty much anything including quests, behests, instanced content, etc.

Quote:
If you thought Square Enix was only porting FFXIV PC version to the PS3... Well, you are wrong. Famitsu revealed that Square Enix will be redoing the interfaces for the PS3 players.

The PS3 version will be using a new interface called "Cross Hot Bar" interface. No specific information were given out yet.

Please stay tuned for more details that will be surfacing later.

Other Stuff
Quote:
Our next major status update on Final Fantasy XIV's 2.0 reboot will come in mid August, producer and director Naoki Yoshida revealed in an interview with Dengeki PlayStation this week.

That may seem like a long wait, but Yoshida assured that once the information starts rolling out, Square Enix will be doing weekly updates.

The start of updates will lead to the game's alpha, and then beta test. Around the time of the alpha, Yoshida hopes to release a benchmark program.

2.0 will offer better initial pacing than the original FFXIV, promised Yoshida. When you first access the game, you'll enter into a tutorial. This will guide you through the game, with the adventure gradually expanding before you.

The reboot also promises to offer a greater sense of "Final Fantasy," something Yoshida said PS3 owners should look forward to. This includes things like Crystal Tower, which gets its name from Final Fantasy III, and the dragon knight design which looks like Final Fantasy IV's Kain. The staff is being careful to preserve the Final Fantasy series image, said Yoshida.

Visuals are getting a major revamp for 2.0. From the planning stages, that team has put effort into real time shadows and lighting. Dengeki was apparently shown the game running on a non-gaming notebook PC, which allowed Yoshida to assure that the PS3 version would look pretty much the same.

Quote:
The three Grand Companies of Eorzea have come together to prepare for war against Garlemald, and they need you to keep up your skills in preparation! By participating in Skirmishes, you and your comrades (Lv. 45 or higher) will be able to travel to an island sunny Cieldalaes to test your skills, regardless of Grand Company affiliation. Two different types of Skirmishes will be available, detailed below:

Locke’s Lie — On this island, the objective is to defeat innumerable enemies in the midst of reduced battlefield visibility imposed by the rocky terrain. This drill tests a squad’s ability to quickly locate and eliminate a large number of foes within the specified time limit.

Turtleback Island — On this tiny, flat slab of rock, soldiers must survive and repel an onrush of massive opponents. With maneuverability severely limited, this drill tests a squad’s defensive capabilities, as well as their capacity to strategically adapt to a variety of foes.

Each challenge will last approximately thirty minutes, with the goal being simply to eliminate all enemy units. Succeed in doing so and you’ll score yourself some exclusive goods, particularly weapons for your Disciple of War or Magic class. In-game models have been provided via the Lodestone and you can check them out below. When Skirmishes are active in Final Fantasy XIV, talk to Storm Captain Loetahlsyn, on the lower decks of Limsa Lominsa

Quote:
Hello again, all you FFXIVers out there! Yoshi-P here, with my thirty-first Letter from the Producer.

It’s really beginning to feel like the start of summer over here in Japan. We’re seeing some days get up to around 30°C (that’s about 86°F, in case you were wondering). How are all of you holding up? Hm? What about me? Thanks for asking! I’ve been keeping an eye on the FFXIV update, going to a bunch of version 2.0 design meetings, holding a mess of interviews, heading overseas for global PR and more meetings... I gotta be honest, all the different time zones and climates are wreaking havoc on mah circadian rhythms!

I also had the honor of attending Japan Expo 2012 in France the other day. I was a first-timer there, and was absolutely blown away by the level of excitement, just like I’d been told I would be. I have to say thanks to all of the passionate fans for the energy they gave me!

I was very, very happy to get to meet over 250 fans at the signing. It meant a lot to have so many of you ask me to sign your Collectors’ Edition journals and game boxes. I even signed the back of a jacket! Sorry for the shaky hands, but I was really nervous! I got to meet the crew of the Crystal Alliance linkshell, some married couples, some engaged couples, some expecting couples... It was one surprise after the other, and I’d like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for making it such an amazing and enjoyable experience.

My set at the expo consisted of a greeting to European fans of the FINAL FANTASY series and all FFXIV players, together with a presentation on FFXIV version 2.0.

My general stage fright is bad enough, but I was so nervous about getting up there and greeting everyone in French that my throat went completely dry. LOL! French is an absolutely beautiful language, but the pronunciation is a bit beyond my linguistic prowess. I’m still worried no one had any idea what I was even saying... How was it?

The presentation lasted for about an hour, including the interpreting. The first half was an intro of the current FFXIV build with some screenshots, and in the second half I talked about version 2.0, showing some stuff that had already been released as well as some all-new stuff.

The all-new stuff was artwork of beginning-level race-specific gear and a couple of real, beautifully modeled costumes based on those designs!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The sense of uniqueness among the races has been pretty weak in the game up till now, and there hasn’t been much to draw associations with or to symbolize each of them. But I think there has to be some kind of unique identity for each. I mean, these are your avatars. They are you in-game, and that’s saying something. So we’re going to be taking care of that identity issue in version 2.0.

The artwork I showed at the expo was new gear for only the Hyur and Miqo’te, but we’re gonna be giving all the races equal treatment. I’ll be releasing pics of the others in the future, so keep an eye out!

Last but not least, let me say a few words about the schedule for patch 1.23. Things are going smoothly and there’s no delays on the horizon, so it’s looking like we’ll be able to release it around the end of this month. We’re finally getting to the catastrophe that brings about the Seventh Umbral Era and is the catalyst for the slew of changes coming to Eorzea. Look for more patch info (but no spoilers!) in upcoming Topics posts on the Lodestone.

That’s all for now. I’m off to China Joy 2012! I’ll talk to you again in the next producer letter or on the forums.

Bought the game on release and only played it for a month before becoming bored and unsubscribed...

this 'update' makes me want to re-subscribe however...

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Ahkrin
Bought the game on release and only played it for a month before becoming bored and unsubscribed...

this 'update' makes me want to re-subscribe however...
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

As noted, this is more like a complete overhaul/remake. :>
^ all the more reason to give it a shot. :3

I wonder...are they bringing back the old classes this time? I could'a sworn it looked like there was a Dragoon in one of the new screens..I just wanna play as a red mage!

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Ahkrin
^ all the more reason to give it a shot. :3

I wonder...are they bringing back the old classes this time? I could'a sworn it looked like there was a Dragoon in one of the new screens..I just wanna play as a red mage!

User Image
They added in Paladin, Warrior, Monk, Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage and Bard (how is an archer a bard, I don't even) a while ago.

Also, 2.0 is officially called "A Realm Reborn" now. I like how they're using an in-game storyline to justify all these changes too (dat Moon)

And this is the best thing ever and makes me want to play XIV so I can fight it.

^ Uhhh...the nightmare before christmas...o.O

LOL

Aww shame theres no red mage yet.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

Am I SUPPOSED to get a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe from that song? Because I do. And I like it. o:
Hahahahahaha oh my GOD! That really sounds like a cross between "This is Halloween" and "Making Christmas". Like, there are entire motifs in there.

EDIT* Ooooohhh I was wondering why I heard the moogle theme in there. This is the battle for Good King Moogle Mog XII. I'm good at reading.
whats the monthly fee going to be for this game?
Ahkrin
whats the monthly fee going to be for this game?
It was around $13 or $14/month before for one character, with an additional (I think) $3 per additional character. I imagine it will be the same price.

EDIT* Actually I just looked it up. Looks like they've lowered the price to $10/month once 2.0 is released. Plus $3 per additional character.

Original Gaian

12,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Tee the Wicked
Awww, no sexy Roegadyn/Galka? Those big burly beardies are the entire reason I even noticed the FF mmo's.

Apart from the actual game footage of the male Miqo'Te. The concept art shows female Roegadyn. gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff