Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy VIII, Sequel or no Sequel?

No, the game sucks, nobody wants to see a sequel. 0.19230769230769 19.2% [ 10 ]
No, the game is perfect the way it is. 0.21153846153846 21.2% [ 11 ]
Yes, I love Squall I want to marry him and have his children! 0.019230769230769 1.9% [ 1 ]
Yes, I think the plot could benefit from a sequel or I think it's time the world of VIII was revisited. 0.57692307692308 57.7% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 52 ]
1 2 3 >

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
For a bit of a change from all the XIII and XIV talk, I've been revisiting old titles and got my heart stuck on VIII once again.
Meanwhile something occurred to me.

While it's certainly not a new or original thought in itself (I mean who hasn't seen people suggest a sequel for this or that FF game over the years?) I think I've hit upon a brilliant idea for a sequel for Final Fantasy VIII.

I'm still forming it, however I believe it's not only consistent with the hurdles typically related to VIII sequels (time travel, pretty much seals their fate, it's all wrapped up in a neat little package) but I think it compliments it thematically and completes the half of a message the game tries to teach.
Namely that "you can't change the past". Well I think that message is a bit pessimistic, my idea completes that sentence with "...but you can take control of your future."
I also feel VIII ended on a fairly bum note. On the surface, they saved the world and lived happily ever after, however it doesn't take much pondering to realise that the future will still happen and Ultimecia will still ultimately rule the world, even if she doesn't succeed in compressing all of time. By not being able to change the past or future and by knowing the future, those two certainties result in the abolition of free will and form a certain depressing fate. My idea introduces a way for them to potentially change the course of history that I believe is internally consistent with the world of VIII, however it leaves it ultimately ambiguous as to whether or not they did, thus removing their knowledge of the future and instilling Hope.

The point of this post is not to show off my idea, which is still under construction (and when it is finished would probably be moved to the fanfiction forum) but simply to garner others views and first thoughts on the notion of a sequel to FFVIII. So please vote in the poll above, or post your thoughts below.

Do you think VIII could have a sequel?

If not, why?

I may be also able to answer some of the issues you might have.

Also, I should add that this isn't a question of SHOULD there be a sequel, as my answer to that would be no. I wouldn't trust SE to do it right, and it would be wouldn't be right with voice acting, in 3D, etc.
I'm asking if there COULD be a sequel, if it was done right, if it was done say, 10 years ago.

PS. If you're interested and would like to know more about my idea, feel free to PM me.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Whilst I did like X-2 I didn't think the second game was needed, they tied up the lose ends nicely, it showed Yuna could move on without needing a guy etc and everyone lived happily ever after, remembering, at times, the guy who helped save Spira.

It was a bitter sweet ending but an ending that didn't need to have a some what forced plot for a sequel made from it.

As for FFVIII I feel that too was ended fine, we got to see Rinoa happy with Squall, Zell and that Library girl obviously ending up together (or at least just getting to know each other more) and Quistis probably got reinstated as a teacher (seriously, if helping saving the world doesn't qualify her as teacher material I don't know what will. ) Then we have Selphie and Irvine seem to be some what of an item (at least it seems like they will be, given a bit more time) and Edea and Cid seem to be happy to be back in charge of the Garden without NORG taking over the Garden and demanding he be the Garden God because Cid seems to be doing a bad job at it.

So really, once again, all in all, the game ended fine, the heros all found their happy ending more or less, sure it wasn't a bitter sweet ending like X but giving it a sequel will scream forced story like X got, as I said, I didn't mind X but I don't like stories that seem forced, it just makes them seem a little like bad fanfiction though, I must admit, seeing Rinoa and Squall break up/having broken up before the sequel would be worth the play through.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Nafretiti
Whilst I did like X-2 I didn't think the second game was needed, they tied up the lose ends nicely, it showed Yuna could move on without needing a guy etc and everyone lived happily ever after, remembering, at times, the guy who helped save Spira.

It was a bitter sweet ending but an ending that didn't need to have a some what forced plot for a sequel made from it.

As for FFVIII I feel that too was ended fine, we got to see Rinoa happy with Squall, Zell and that Library girl obviously ending up together (or at least just getting to know each other more) and Quistis probably got reinstated as a teacher (seriously, if helping saving the world doesn't qualify her as teacher material I don't know what will. ) Then we have Selphie and Irvine seem to be some what of an item (at least it seems like they will be, given a bit more time) and Edea and Cid seem to be happy to be back in charge of the Garden without NORG taking over the Garden and demanding he be the Garden God because Cid seems to be doing a bad job at it.

So really, once again, all in all, the game ended fine, the heros all found their happy ending more or less, sure it wasn't a bitter sweet ending like X but giving it a sequel will scream forced story like X got, as I said, I didn't mind X but I don't like stories that seem forced, it just makes them seem a little like bad fanfiction though, I must admit, seeing Rinoa and Squall break up/having broken up before the sequel would be worth the play through.
The thing with any ending, is that it works fine as an ending. VII's worked fine as an ending, despite leaving everything up in the air and them making a dozen sequels and prequels for it.
VIII's worked fine as an ending, but that doesn't mean it was without it's faults or ambiguity.
Most of what you listed is presumption, we don't know Zell got with the girl from the Library, or that Cid and Edea took control of Garden again, or that Quistis is an instructor, we don't know a damn thing about NORG, or Ellone.

All we do know is that at some point, Ultimecia will rule the world and a group of SeeD's from the past will pop into existence and kill her, but not before she's obliterated the world around her.
Sure, everyone's happy having a party on Garden, but it's a short-lived victory.
You could argue that any victory is short-lived, Garnet could be crushed by an Airship after marrying Zidane, or Yuna could have cancer. The point is we don't know these things, but we do know about Ultimecia.

There's enough holes that people have tried to claim that Rinoa MUST BE Ultimecia, that she becomes her in the future, goes insane and forgets everything before deciding to rule the world. If there's enough room for crackpot theories like that, there's probably enough room for a sequel to debunk them.

Then there's all the things you mentioned that you'd like to see, Zell with the girl from the library, Rinoa and Squall breaking up (not my cup of tea to be honest though). There's countless things people would like to know.
Where did Ellone's powers come form?
What's the deal with the Deep Sea Deposit?
What happens with Garden now?
What happened to NORG?
Will Squall find out about Laguna being his father and how will he take it?
Is Griever a real GF or just one Squall made up?
Who exactly is Ultimecia?
How did the world become such a hostile place for sorceresses that Ultimecia became who she was/will be?

Of course VIII works fine the way it is, but that's not to say it wouldn't work fine with a sequel as well.
Like I said, this isn't if VIII SHOULD have a sequel, it's if it COULD have a sequel.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Seraphor

True, you did and yes, I guess they are assumptions but then is it REALLY that unlikely that they wouldn't happen? I mean, it is like Square giving us subtle hints that Squall is the son of Laguna, many never believed those two were related (and I am sure, even to this day some would still like to argue they are not) but the hints are there so of course if you stick the clues together you get son and father, but look at Zell and the library girl, hints had us that they could have something together (the scene in Balamb Hotel and the ending scene) which could or could not have happened (and I never said did just that it seems like they could of gotten together or at least got to know each other more.)

I also was meant to say that Quistis may have gone back, i mean, saving the world would be a great reason for her to become a teacher again, the knowledge she gained at saving the world would be a great reason to have her reinstated as a teacher, she now has real life knowledge on what she is teaching, she is able to become stronger and show better leadership skills because of being out there on the battlefield, she was let go because she 'didn't have the leadership skills' that were needed and what better way of learning of these leadership skills unless you are thrown into battle? Of course she could also have turned it down, having learnt there is more to life then just marking papers...

I can't see Edea and Cid giving up what they originally wanted to do, making Garden's around the world to help train those to fight sorceresses, true, without Ultimecia, there technically shouldn't be anymore sorceresses considering she was the one behind making those she wanted a sorceress but there is also the problem of rebels popping up and making trouble etc, even if the Gardens were no longer used just to train to fight sorceresses they would help train those who wish to protect the world from any on going threat that may pop up. Edea and Cid started out wanting to protect the world from sorceresses and yet now they can do one better, use their Garden's as a battle school to help train those to help protect from any threat.

Though it does beg the question, who DOES run the world? I mean, in X we have Spira and the 'capital' if you will, is Bevelle, anything and everything to do with law and order goes through them, FFVIII's world didn't really have that, each city/town had a president or mayor or whatever but no actual main 'United Nations' sort of thing.

Ultimecia is now dead which means that when she died would not the future she had planned gone with her? The only thing to look out for is if she has a younger self, that, I guess, COULD be a sequel's plot, seeking out and making sure the past self of Ultimecia doesn't end up becoming what she did but then would the future Ultimecia dying not erase any any and all knowledge about her? Meaning, if she does have a past self then wouldn't that be erased/'killed off'/whatever as well?

Whilst all good questions I would just like to point out that Griever was never real, he was made up by Squall as that is what Squall thought power was (the form of I should say) and was only made stronger by him and and thus was able to be turned into an actual boss because Squall thought so strongly of it that Ultimecia was able to bring it from his mind and throw it into battle so no, Griever was never an obtainable/useable GF, it was just all in Squalls mind. I guess Squall just needed something to believe in? He was thrown into an orphanage as a baby and then made to grow up learning how to fight, only fair he did have something to believe in right?

Of course that is just my interpretation of Griever, he was just always a figment of Squalls imagination, just something he wished to believe in.

Though with those questions, they seem a little redundant also, I mean, to get a game to answer them all? Not really sure we need that though to answer a few questions, I mean, the Deep Sea Deposit we have wiki for that answer:

The Deep Sea Research Center (海洋探査人工島, Kaiyou Tansa Jinkou Shima?, lit. " Artificial Ocean Research Island" ), also known as Battleship Island, is a hidden island located far out in the middle of the ocean, in the south-west corner of the world map of Final Fantasy VIII. It is an abandoned, half-sunken laboratory formerly used to research draw effects, however, other, less commonly known, research may have been going on.

Deep Sea Research Center can be found as early as disc 2 when Balamb Garden becomes mobile, but it cannot be entered. The party must wait until gaining access to Ragnarok to land on top of the structure to get inside.

And the 'less commonly known research' could of been GF research? We do find Bahamut and Eden there.

So some things have been, some what, answered, but others just seem a little pointless? I mean, take NORG, a lot probably would like to think he just died, he was a pain in the a**, he sat down in the basement dictating orders to Cid etc, most just would probably like to know he died and good riddance to him, only thing he was good for was the GF you drew from him.

Though the Laguna finally telling Squall and the world becoming hostile would be good questions to have answered, I must admit though as for Ellone...I thought it would of been just abnormal brain waves/patterns, she was just blessed with a 'special gift', like someone who has been placed on this earth to do one thing and one thing only and that is all their good at (like Mozart for example, he has a 'special gift' to make music and pretty much did nothing else but) just that since this is a fantasy game Ellone gets something more special. After all, Dr Odin did make a machine that was built from Ellone's powers so obviously it wasn't magic it was something to do with the inside of Ellone, like those who could be psychic or talk to the dead etc, that isn't magic it just is a power that they are able to use, like what I always believed was the case with Ellone, there isn't a reason exactly as to why one might be able to talk to the dead and another can't it is just something that some can do and others can't but in Ellone's case it is something only she can do and no one else can't

So yes, I guess a sequel could be done but it would have to have a good story, after X-2 (and one or two of the XIII games? ) Not many like this whole sequel thing.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
I would like to invite you to read this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/34215

It's very long winded, but worth it.
Although I tend to side with Squall-of-SeeD over the time issues, not SirBahamut.

This FAQ includes an indepth analysis of what the Deep Sea Deposit is.
I don't mean the Deep Sea research Centre, that's pretty much explained, I mean the ruins below it. They're not Centran, and they tease you with a mystery that's never uncovered.
What were those scientists trying winch up out of the earth?

As for Squall-Laguna, they may be clues, but they're pretty conclusive clues.
1. Raine died in childbirth after Laguna left.
2. Ellone made it her mission to change the past in order to unite Laguna with his son.
3. Moomba's recognise people by tasting their blood.
4. Moomba's knew Laguna, as he visited the Shumi tribe.
5. Moomba's taste Squall's blood and cry "Laguna!"
6. If you speak to Kiros on the Ragnarok, he'll say "You look a lot like your mother... Ward says it's a good thing you don't look like your father."
7. Laguna says "Ellone told me everything" followed by "We'll talk when this is all over."
This is also mentioned in the FAQ above, with conclusive proof from the 20th Anniversary Ultimania.

As for Garden, who says it has to be run by Cid and Edea? Their goal was to start SeeD, not continue running it forever. Perhaps they retire, then who runs Garden?

As for who runs the world, I think it's pretty obvious no one does. The game doesn't just make a point of it, its integral to the world of VIII. You have the nation of Galbadia, a dictatorship until President Deling is assassinated by Ultimecia. You have Esthar, a secretive country, possibly a republic with an elected political leader. The Dukedom of Dollet, a newly liberated nation of Timber, the Island nation of Balamb, the independent city of FH, etc. It's a fully fleshed out world, far moreso than the theocracy of Spira or the corporate monopoly of VII.

When Ultimecia died, it didn't erase her past. Ultimecia had already conquered the world by the time she began Time Compression. She had conquered the world and decided the world wasn't enough, she wanted all of history under her rule.
So yes, Ultimecia is still coming, she's still going to happen, she'll be born, become an evil sorceress at some point, rule the world, and THEN we introduce our time traveling orphans to eliminate her.

I know Griever is a manifestation of Squalls mind, however Squall states earlier in the game that Griever is a legendary GF that inspires him. Does this GF actually exist?

People like Ellone just happening to have magic powers isn't really an explanation. The sorceress powers have a backstory, and a mechanism of passing them onto other people.
Adel seemed to think Ellone's powers were compatible with sorceress powers (unless the FAQ I linked to above is correct about Adels motives) and Ellone's powers seem to function similarly to a GF.
Is Ellone a type of sorceress? Is she in some way part GF? Or something altogether different?

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
VIII-2, starring Caius Ballad and Yeul, because [******** continuity, LOVE MY NEW VILLAIN. LOVE ME HIM

I don't think any of the main FF need a direct sequel especially not IV, VII, X, XII or XIII *facepalm*
A prequel would be amazing! I'd love to see Laguna's story and Squall's mother and father. Problem is Nobuo Uematsu is no longer making music for Final Fantasy anymore sad It would feel really different if a prequel or sequel was to happen.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Raidus
A prequel would be amazing! I'd love to see Laguna's story and Squall's mother and father. Problem is Nobuo Uematsu is no longer making music for Final Fantasy anymore sad It would feel really different if a prequel or sequel was to happen.
That is the problem. I have no doubt that if SE were to make a sequel to VIII today I would most likely hate it.
The music would be all wrong, the voice acting would feel strange, they'd probably screw around with time travel paradoxes like they did with XIII-2. It would be a disaster.

However, If I had it my way, I think I could produce a brilliant sequel to compliment VIII, which is what I'm attempting.

The poll is looking promising, but really this was to set a benchmark. I'm hoping I'll change a few minds once I post my completed description/script.

Unforgiving Tactician

I don't actually think there is enough room for a sequel, never was. The story, while having a few plot holes that were never filled, is essentially complete, we know the nuts and bolts of what happens to each of the characters post game and there really is no major conflict that could be established within a reasonable time frame of the game while still seeming feasible.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
haloshatterer v2
I don't actually think there is enough room for a sequel, never was. The story, while having a few plot holes that were never filled, is essentially complete, we know the nuts and bolts of what happens to each of the characters post game and there really is no major conflict that could be established within a reasonable time frame of the game while still seeming feasible.

Well I beg to differ.
I think there's one major hole left to be filled, regarding Ultimecia's origin.
I don't see how the ending of VIII could lead to the creation of Ultimecia without an additional catalyst, unless we just go with "Ultimecia is just inherently evil" which doesn't require any explaining whatsoever, so I'm not satisfied with it.

To illustrate the hole, I'll post an excerpt from what I'm working on at the moment:

As a visual aid to assist in picturing the timeline on a more accurate scale, I’ve laid out the major events from A to Z in chronological order below.
If you consider C-F is a span of 17 years, A-F is unspecified but implied to be a fair amount more than 17 years, and F-Z is said to be ‘many generations’, I feel it gives a good sense of the time that has elapsed.
It’s not precise, as we’re not given precise timeframes for many of the events, however if we presume each letter accounts for somewhere between 4 months and 6 years, with the empty ones being more like 6 years, it seems to work out nicely.
If you highlight it you’ll reveal where my sequel fits in, as you can see it goes someway to filling quite a big hole.

A – Young Adel is host to Rinoa & Ulti’s consciousness’s. Ulti casts TC. Time Loop Starts.
B
C – Laguna flashbacks
D – Ulti & Squall arrive in the Orphanage. Secondary Time/Sorceress Power Loop Begins.
E
F – Events of VIII
G ~ Events of VIII-2
H
I
J
K ~ Events alluded to in flashforwards
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R ~ Events alluded to in flashforwards
S
T ~ ??? Flashforwards
U ~ Events of VIII-2
V
W – A young Sorceress is persecuted and at some point snaps and becomes Ultimecia.
X
Y – Ultimecia takes over the world and is continuously fought by White SeeD.
Z – Ulti inhabits Edea/Rinoa/Adel in the past. Ulti is defeated by Squall. Time Loop Ends.

5,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Member 100
I like the idea of expanding the story of Final Fantasy VIII. I liked it, but there were just so many plot holes. If there's any Final Fantasy game out there that I think legitimately needs a sequel, it's definitely VIII.

Beloved Sweetheart

12,625 Points
  • Married 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Battle: KO 200

Profitable Prophet

6,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Personally I would love to see a sequel but unfortunately that probably wont happen :
Has anyone here heard of the squalls dead theory? Ive heard it mentioned a few times around the net but havent really looked into it.
I have no interest in a game that is a direct sequel but going back to the actual world would be nice to explore, especially with new game engines and graphics.
Kenshin085
Personally I would love to see a sequel but unfortunately that probably wont happen :
Has anyone here heard of the squalls dead theory? Ive heard it mentioned a few times around the net but havent really looked into it.

It's a neat little theory that adds interest to the game in my mind. I also like the idea that Rinoa is Ultimecia from the future who has gone mad with power. Both theories were shot down by the creators, but it's fun to toy with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff