Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which one should I play and why? 7, 8 or 9 are the choices.
I hear 9 is good.

Prophet

6,300 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
9 will make your heart pound. It's my favourite. I play it every month...unrelated to periods.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I am with Ameerkat, I would go with FFIX, it is an awesome game!

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

IX (9). Atmosphere was lovely. Return to job-like system was refreshing. Story was adorable. Music was amazing.
I say this in every thread. But play IX.

That story. That Music. That 10/10 game.

4,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
Ff8 was my favorite, but its a lot harder than 7 and takes too much side questing, 7 Id say is the overall best one to play in my opinion, easy story play through, minimal requires side questing, and there isnt 3 hours of video scenes, and it was also square softs most purchased gamebefore square enix) so that has to say something
In my opinion, 9 is the best. Is has the best atmosphere, best music, best characters, best themes, best gameplay, best story...Best everything. xD Its a story that allows itself to take on dark subject matter (destruction, inevitable death, the meaning of life and free will) without having an emo protagonist. In fact, Zidane's one of the more cheerful and light-hearted characters in the series.

But 7 did start an era and not without reason. 7 is a very good game. It doesn't live up to the hype because the hype is so huge that no earthly creation could live up to it. FF7 is dark in tone, but has many comedic moments and only revels in its darkness occassionally. The best parts are probably the places where it deals with the same themes as 9: the meaning of one's existence, control of one's free will, ect. The plot and characters can be a little clumsily handled at times, and I've never been exactly sure what Serphiroth is doing, exactly...I mean, his motivation...Kinda fuzzy...But it's still a very good game and playing it would allow a better understanding in conversation since it is the most widely known.

I hate 8. Seriously, skip that game until at all possible. The characters are card-board cut-out charicatures that make absolutely no sense and each have brain damage. In fact, I think everyone inthis world has brain damage. Motivation never makes any sense. The understanding of human nature is juvenile. And it tries so hard to be dark while handling it with all the skill of a gothic sixth grader. The combat is awful because of drawing magic, the characters are all interchangeable in terms of strenghts and weaknesses, and the villain has no real motivation or development at all.

Music's nice though. xD

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

gaia_angelleft yum_puddi gaia_angelright

I, too, did not like VIII. The Junction system is possibly the most frustrating and stupid system I've ever encountered in a game before. Drawing Magic was silly and time consuming, and even then you couldn't really use it because you had them junctioned. The characters weren't particularly appealing to me, the music (while obviously not bad), is some of my least favorite music in the series. And GF SPAMMMM ALL THE WAY TO VICTORRYYY. I felt like I was watching a movie with the same scenes repeated. I get it. Shiva knows how to make an entrance. I don't need to see it a million times since she's the strongest thing I've got.

:c

I sort of enjoyed the story, but attributing all the other things I disliked about the game made it difficult for me to go through.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I actually didn't mind the draw system it was the junction I had the problems with, I mean, I am not saying the draw/junction thing was great, it wasn't but the draw system, in my opinion, was a step up from the days we had to buy scrolls from black mages in different villages/towns, it was fine, don't get me wrong, but wasting gil on scrolls when it would of been nicer to just learn them wasn't the most nicest of things especially if you have your eye set on that nice new upgraded sword of armour.

So whilst drawing was a pain in the a** I would rather that way then scroll buying (and even then we still had to for GF's to learn certain abilities) but then we get into the whole junction thing thrown in and thats where I just hated it, I want to use my spells (I am a magic lover) and so having them junctioned just killed me and what made me hate the system mostly.

Questionable Codger

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Like other people have said, I would go with 9. At first, I didn't really care for the art style and it's kind of slow at first, but the characters and story are, in my opinion, the best of the 3 that you've listed.
It depend what mood you're in.
7: Great story, funny scenes (though imagination required)
8: Short-ish story, lots of romance, when you think you can take on the junction system
9: Great story, laugh your *** off dialogue

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces