Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Prophet

Ephemeral_Dream
I personally think it's pretty dump to name a child based solely off a video game, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

My friend has a daughter named Aerith and a son named Nero (DMC 4)

Dapper Dabbler

6,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Over Easy 100
I'm all for naming your kid something unique, but moreso than bullying in school (rhyming "Yuna" and "tuna" for example), you need to consider that this person is going to be a, hopefully, successful adult. I've known a number of people with names apparently so embarrassing they refuse to tell people and legally change them. My own other's middle name mortified her to the extent that it took her years to even tell me.

Weird as it sounds, some name decisions can create small rifts between parents and children. Unique names are important to the parents because of life events, family ties, or even a favorite character from a book/show, etc, but any parent must accept that some kids may not have the same sense of importance about the name. Not every kid will resent being named something not found in a boring baby-naming guide, but some will.

Anyway, the rule that I've heard is that when naming a kid you need to definitely be sure of the meaning behind it (the etymology because even seemingly made-up sounding names can have roots in real words and some names can mean unusual/undesirable things), and then don't think of how cute a kid is going to be with the name, think instead of the kid at age 50 with an incredibly serious job.

Examples:

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court: SEPHIROTH BUTZ LOPEZ

Vice President: WEDGE RONI

Head of the CIA: FuSoYa VIVI HAMMON

Nobel Prize Winner: YUFFIE VANILLE SMITH

CEO of a Fortune 500 Company: SQUALL GAU ROGERS

Elementary School Teacher: KEFKA EXDEATH SANTOS

Most of them are in caps because I'd like to imagine people screaming them out loud enthusiastically as an announcement. Oh, and never forget when they cross the stage for their high school graduation:

"ASHELIA JENOVA COOPER"

People also joke that if you have a name that's too far from the norm, that there are only three professions you can pursue: [1] Exotic Dancer, [2] Musician, [3] Hippie. Crass, but it was certainly true for Meatloaf and Jewel.

Anyway, all jokes aside, naming your children is a big decision because they're going to have these names for their entire lives. You should name your child something important to you, but I'd suggest keeping it in the mainstream, especially because there are names that fall in both the mainstream AND the lifestream.

So I'd say go for it, but consider the degree. Red XIII is just ridiculous.

Apocalyptic Lover

Yuna Yuna Yuna smells like Tuna~

This is what they will say.

Dapper Regular

20,700 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
I convinced my friend to name her son Cloud emotion_dealwithit
Think if it's a nice name, why not? There are definitely a few names I've heard over the years that I think are very pretty. I've considered naming one of my daughters Ashelia or Tali (as in Tali'Zorah) simply because they're pretty names. Not because I have some sort of sick obsession with the characters. I also love the name Sora. I think it's an adorable name for a boy, but I hate my own name because it's a name for a boy. And now that I'm a man, I'm not so sure my son would appreciate the name Sora once he becomes an adult.

Familiar Hunter

YazooSoma
I'm a guy 25 yrs old still single
if ever i have kids in the future i wanna name them after FF characters....
(i mean in the FUTURE cause i have no intentions of getting married having kids yet......
my life revolves on video games right now)
anyway i have a list of top 5 names for my kids in the future
what do you guys think? ( am i gay, a loser, nerd, or whatever)

for daughters
5) Celes Chere
4) Vanille
3) Ashelia
2) Aria Benett
1) Eiko Carol

for sons
5) Edgar Roni
4) Cid Raines
3) Zell
2) Bartz
1) Josef Kain (yeah i mixed 2 different names)

anyway on the side i found this really beautiful picture of lightning(i didnt make it nor do i know who did) what do you guys think is she beautiful? does it look like her? for me shes beautiful

User Image

go to a hispanic country and name ur daughter teta
Oxefer
YazooSoma
(i mean in the FUTURE cause i have no intentions of getting married having kids yet......

for daughters
5) Celes Chere
4) Vanille
3) Ashelia
2) Aria Benett
1) Eiko Carol

for sons
5) Edgar Roni
4) Cid Raines
3) Zell
2) Bartz

anyway on the side i found this really beautiful picture of lightning(i didnt make it nor do i know who did) what do you guys think is she beautiful? does it look like her? for me shes beautiful

User Image

Im curious ht does Teta mean?

Familiar Hunter

YazooSoma
Oxefer
YazooSoma

for daughters
5) Celes Chere
4) Vanille
3) Ashelia
2) Aria Benett
1) Eiko Carol

for sons
5) Edgar Roni
4) Cid Raines
3) Zell
2) Bartz

User Image

Im curious ht does Teta mean?

in tactics the main characters sister is named teta in ps1 version it became a huge joke cuss it means boob in spanish, i personally dont know why they changed it in tactics maybe it was a typo or a mistranslation but in psp its tetra

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff