Welcome to Gaia! ::

550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
About the bullying issue, bullying has been going on since the dawn of time. It's not going to stop and you can be bullied for anything. Your weight size, what you wear, how you act, how many sports you play- it doesn't really matter because you're child is going to end up being teased for at least something. It's just how life goes.

If you want to name your child after a video game character go ahead. It's YOUR child, no nobody should have to stop you. Robin Williams named his daughter after Princess Zelda so it's not totally unique or odd. 3nodding

Though I think that your wife has to agree to the name first because she's the one that has spent 10 hours pushing out the baby. So she should get a say in the name because the last few hours of her life have been really painful...

Questionable Conversationalist

Pfft, oh please. I'm going to name my nineteen spawns after the awesome weapons.
Zodiac Spear will be the special little one, Claymore will be the pretty one.
Buster Sword is going to have to share a room with Masamune, they have to fight to see who gets dinner and who gets the top bunk each night.

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
Most of the names of these characters are real names, so it's not too far-fetched. My mom asked for naming advice for my upcoming little sister when I was a kid, and I suggested Marle from Chrono Trigger. I pronounced it "mar-lee", and so she tacked a "y" on the end, because it made sense. Little Marley never knew that she was named after a video game character, though she grew up to creepily resemble her. 3nodding

Anyway, point is that it works fine, if you aren't too over-the-top about it. Names like Cid or even Cecil work fine. Names like Cloud or Squall... do not. sweatdrop
Oh christ people, enough with the bullying garbage. I agree that children's names should not be taken lightly for that very reason (talking to you, father of Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation), but if I had a kid today, and named him Balthier, by the time he's old enough to be bullied, none of his friends are even going to make that connection unless they've also played that [would be] very out of date game. And if they do, unless it's a stupid name like Steiner, Squall, or any name from FFXIII, or something obviously recognizable like Sephiroth or Ultimecia, the kid's not gonna get beat up.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
I will name my daughter Kuja Sephiroth.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Kuja9113
Oh christ people, enough with the bullying garbage. I agree that children's names should not be taken lightly for that very reason (talking to you, father of Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation), but if I had a kid today, and named him Balthier, by the time he's old enough to be bullied, none of his friends are even going to make that connection unless they've also played that [would be] very out of date game. And if they do, unless it's a stupid name like Steiner, Squall, or any name from FFXIII, or something obviously recognizable like Sephiroth or Ultimecia, the kid's not gonna get beat up.

Lol.

Hitler has nothing to do with anything, and what you said was completely wrong anyway.

And it'd be pretty stupid to name someone after something and never ever ever telling them of it. Once they find out they'd be pretty peeved being named after a video game, bullying or not.

Learn to logic.

Unforgiving Tactician

I can see the appeal of naming kids after your favourite game characters, but like Nafretiti said, kids will use anything as grounds for bullying, I know because I was bullied all the way through school, and not just name calling, I was physically assaulted as well.

All I can say is when or if you have kids, just be careful in the choice.
Absolute Claws
Kuja9113

Lol.

Hitler has nothing to do with anything, and what you said was completely wrong anyway.

And it'd be pretty stupid to name someone after something and never ever ever telling them of it. Once they find out they'd be pretty peeved being named after a video game, bullying or not.

Learn to logic.
So what if they didn't know? So what if they did? I wouldn't care what my name was as long as it didn't suck. If I was named after some 70s movie star, then good for my parents for having a favorite actor.

7,900 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Champion 300
  • Pet Lover 100
Kuja9113
Absolute Claws
Kuja9113

Lol.

Learn to logic.
So what if they didn't know? So what if they did? I wouldn't care what my name was as long as it didn't suck. If I was named after some 70s movie star, then good for my parents for having a favorite actor.

Goodbye point. You will surely be missed.

There's a big difference between being named after a celebrity or someone famous, and god damned pixels on a screen.

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
In my opinion, isn't kinda nerd level right there to name your children like that? There are some names in the list you could get away with it, but yeah.

Friendly Bookworm

If the name is similar to what we normally listen to, like Maria, Leon (FFII people...), Vincent, Zack, Irvine, Garnet, Zidane, Lulu, Ashe (If named Ashley, use as nickname), Claire (Lightning), Sarah/Serah. Then okay then.

Maybe branching out to other safer named like Cloud or Squall or Vanille is okay as well, but not that much.

You do know about the poor kid in Australia named Sephiroth right?

I will have a Zack for a son, no matter what. I also like Claire too for a daughter. That would be it.
Hey, I think that that's great. I plan to name my children after some important things that have helped shape my life, namely, my original characters from middle school and high school that helped me define myself as a writer and make it through thouse tough times. Or...At least the less obnoxiously obtuse named ones. Unique names that aren't going to get the poor kid stared at...if I ever have children. I plan to adopt when I"m in my mid-thirties. =3 Point being, you should name your children whatever is important to you, because who needs boring, generic names for your personal child, the one who will carry on your legacy and bring you the closest to physical immortality? Customize them. xD

But as for all of these arguments...Well...

1.) I have to say that this guy doesn't have a pregnant wife right now. He's just thinking about it. No need to take it so seriously, and I'm sure that if he tries to push something too stupid, the mother of his child will object. Unless she's also on the same level of nerd, in case, congratulations! You have a really awesome family lined up for little Bartz. xD

2.) Alright, so Bartz is probably going out of line as far as what's acceptable and subtle in society, but people have some pretty stupid names right now, and according to my middle school contacts (AKA my sister) they're still pretty popular. I"m not saying that bullying isn't an issue (it most definitely is and shouldn't be downplayed) and I'm not saying that names don't sometimes add into that, but it's more complicated than that. It's a pecking order of personality types, awkward phases, and general unpredictable meanness. If that kid would get picked on, I wouldn't point my finger at the lovingly quirky parents. I'd point my finger at the little idiots who did it.

3.) I've seen that picture of Lightning before somewhere, but no one told me who it was, and I honestly couldn't tell its gender. xD I was like "...Well...That could be Lightning...or Zidane if I look at it right...Or...God, anyone..."

Ah, Final Fantasy and its androgynous pretty boys. Gotta love it.
Laili
If the name is similar to what we normally listen to, like Maria, Leon (FFII people...), Vincent, Zack, Irvine, Garnet, Zidane, Lulu, Ashe (If named Ashley, use as nickname), Claire (Lightning), Sarah/Serah. Then okay then.

Maybe branching out to other safer named like Cloud or Squall or Vanille is okay as well, but not that much.

You do know about the poor kid in Australia named Sephiroth right?

I will have a Zack for a son, no matter what. I also like Claire too for a daughter. That would be it.

wow der really is a kid named Sephiroth......
well for those hu r fans of the series or even know the name they'd surely understand but given dat kind of name to people hu r unaware of the series they'd probably be goin "what kind of name is dat?"
Nafretiti
Depends on the names, some names are normal, every day names (Terra, Vincent, Yuna, Cid etc), I wouldn't go with anything REALLY out there like Bartz (Bart is fine but Bartz? No, don't think so), Zell, Ashelia (thats just a bit too obscure for my liking), Cloud, Squall etc.

Some characters you can get away with naming your child after as they work in real life but if you go too obscure you are looking at your child being picked on because of it and given how kids are these days with bullying you are going to have one really upset kid because of your bad parenting skills and, if it is really bad, possible suicide due to your actions also.

So before naming your child after any Final Fantasy character stop and think if you want your child to be bullied, if it is a no then you obviously need a new name.

In all honesty here, I don't know if I should skuld you or make your day worst.

Anyway, its up to him, not you, also, I name my child based from a video game, Dead or Alive.

Her name is Ayane Revrem Mythral, and she is just fine and never got bullied as far as i'm concern when i'm around, an when she is/was she told me about how she kick't the bully's a**. I tought her Martial Arts, an how to use it for good.

I raise my kids on how I see fit, an to prepare them for the world.

An also you don't know that yet if this guy going to be a "Bad" parent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff