Welcome to Gaia! ::

Oh and the reason he's angry at Lightning is because he thinks she isn't real because he believes Lightning is dead.

('s what I'm hearing. Maybe I should be looking on the webpage to see if this information is up there....)

Friendly Tipper

8,400 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Tipsy 100
MooMooJuice

Oh, thank you. /// (somehow i missed this part of the comment)

Haha no problem, had to edit that bit in; since I was looking at you art shortly after posting! I'm a fan of the sketches you've done! Great works! ( Might see me pop into that thread soon! whee )

Teenage Wet Dream
LINK PLZ.

Lol, heres her profile on the site: Lumina
but head over to the downloads tab on the top right for the wallpaper.

As usual I'm pretty psyched for this one too.... But I really miss my lovely Pulse ladies, Fang, Vanille and Yeul... </3 cry

Beloved Receiver

Ray-JCast
MooMooJuice

Oh, thank you. /// (somehow i missed this part of the comment)

Haha no problem, had to edit that bit in; since I was looking at you art shortly after posting! I'm a fan of the sketches you've done! Great works! ( Might see me pop into that thread soon! whee )

Teenage Wet Dream
LINK PLZ.

Lol, heres her profile on the site: Lumina
but head over to the downloads tab on the top right for the wallpaper.

As usual I'm pretty psyched for this one too.... But I really miss my lovely Pulse ladies, Fang, Vanille and Yeul... </3 cry
I made that my phone's background.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
Quote:
For part two of our three part Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII first look, we’ll be focusing on the little things – that is, the finer details caught between the lines during our preview.

Our hands-off preview with the live demo was followed up by a brief question and answer session with Producer Yoshinori Kitase and Director Motomu Toriyama. The pair shared some insight into the game’s development, as well as their own challenges with applying user feedback. As the FFXIII series is coming to a close, we hoped to find some answers.

Balancing player wishes with creative vision

When looking at fan feedback Kitase noted, “It’s important to look back to the first title, which gave players a sense of speed through its use of cinematic cutscenes that wove through the story. FFXIII has been equated to that of a FPS because its goal was to move players quickly from one step to the next. Following its release, the development team received user feedback – most often in regards to the game’s linearity. As we moved on to the second and now third title, we thought of how to implement that user feedback.” Some of the things they strived for included player freedom and the growth of the character while exploring the world. For LRFFXIII, in order to balance that user feedback while forming new elements, they created this expansive world that players would be able to explore, but at the same time, the player won’t be thrown into it haphazardly. To help the player along, the team included the element of time management so that the player would pay better attention to the world, and the burden of having to think about how they will interact with its inhabitants. In a sense, the player must value the time that is left for Lightning – which is one of the strongest elements that was thought of in regards to balancing user feedback.

Why create a time-based world?

The primary source of inspiration for the time element in LRFFXIII was the Doomsday Clock. Toriyama imagined a clock with five minutes left until the end of the world. “For example, let’s say there’s a country that’s developing nuclear weapons and threatening Earth. As they do so, one minute is depleted from that time, yet as other countries pass laws to protect the peace, then they would gain one minute.” By taking this inspiration, Toriyama says you’ll have to spend your time wisely. Much like this scenario, you’ll be able to add time back into the world of Nova Chrysalia by completing certain deeds.

On-field exploration in the expansive world of Nova Chrysalia

Aside from the tutorial, the game will be basically free to explore. The player will be able to travel to any of the four continents in the world either by monorail or simply walking to and from them. “Because the time of the world moves in its own 24 hour period, the player might miss some opportunities to explore certain elements,” says Toriyama. The game is set up so players can go back through multiple playthroughs and do things differently through each New Game+.
The world of Nova Chrysalia is made up of four distinct continents

The world of Nova Chrysalia is made up of four distinct continents.

Having scrapped the previous name of Novus Partus, Toriyama introduced us to the newly named Nova Chrysalia. This new world is made up of four continents – three of which are known so far: Luxerion, Dead Dunes and the Wildlands. While the final area has yet to be shown or named, it’s been speculated that it’s Etro’s castle – the remnant of Valhalla that was transported to Pulse when Chaos spread into the world. The world itself seems decently large from what little was shown, although Toriyama says we’ll have to wait for more information on that front.

The story itself is of course focused on Lightning. Not only will she be tasked with freeing the darkness in people’s hearts, but one of the major elements will be her own internal struggles as she goes against her destiny in order to save Serah once again. “We wanted to depict her again in a slightly different light so that people can have another opportunity to get to know her better,” Toriyama explains. “You might be a little bit surprised to see her at the beginning of Lightning Returns because you’re going to find her even more distant and more closed than before, but throughout the story you’re going to find out more about her real emotions, and what goes through her mind. She will be getting more and more human and vulnerable, even as you play.”

As of now, much of the story remains under wraps. A short glimpse at what’s to come revealed the Oracle Drive – a key item from XIII-2 that holds premonitions of the future. In LRFFXIII it seems the device is somehow related to the origin of the crimes taking place in Luxerion.

The key experience players should take from Lightning Returns

As the conclusion to Lightning’s saga, Toriyama wants to present a happy ending for Lightning. The other takeaway is the theme of the world ending. The team wanted to make the players think “what if I only had a certain number of days left until the world ended?” and how would they live their life to the fullest given the little time they’d have.

Courting fans who may have lost interest in Lightning or FFXIII

“With the Lightning Saga having expanded to three games now, there is a risk that some players have been driven away from the series,” Kitase explains. “At the same time, there might be this impression that people had to play the first two installments to enjoy the third and final installment. With LRFFXIII we wanted to focus on giving it a brand new feel – a brand new game that can be enjoyed regardless of prior knowledge of the series.” By creating this game the team wanted to bring back the players that drifted away from the Final Fantasy XIII saga or the Final Fantasy series. The effort of giving this game a whole new feels shows in their logo – it’s a completely different approach that casts away the traditional Yoshitaka Amano design. According to Kitase, they “wanted to convey to the audience that this is a new game that’s being brought to the table.”

Why continue the FFXIII saga instead of creating a new one?

“There are two major pillars to this decision,” says Kitase. “The first concerns the development of the concept for Final Fantasy XIII. Lightning was found to be a very attractive character, so we wanted to expand the story of her.” From the beginning stages of FFXIII-2, they had plans to start expanding even more on the world of Lightning and her saga – not only through games, but “the foundation came about for DLC, novels or other various expansions.” In that respect, they drew up the idea for Lightning Returns as the conclusion for the series during the development of FFXIII-2.
The success of the FFXIII series is said to be due to Lightning.

The success of the FFXIII series is said to be due to Lightning.

“The second pillar is represented by the idea that every numbered Final Fantasy goes through massive revisions for each entry,” Kitase explains. “Because the characters, systems and world would have to be created from scratch, it would be difficult to implement player feedback. As such it might take two or more years between releases. With XIII it was a very rare but great opportunity for the team to take this character and take elements from the game like the battle system and evolve them through the trilogy. By considering user feedback through such a short development time, the player can see that those changes have been applied straight away.”

How will downloadable content be handled?

In terms of DLC released for FFXIII-2 Kitase says there has been a mixed reception. “One example is the costumes that provided an aesthetic change to Noel and Serah. Feedback suggested that perhaps in addition to a visual change, maybe costumes should have an effect in-game – things like stat boosts, or other battle advantages. This feedback has been taken and applied to Lightning Returns.” As seen in the gameplay demo, Lightning has an assortment of outfits she can change between and Styles that can be assigned that contain different abilities or bonuses.

Another popular piece of DLC feedback the team received was in regard to scenario content. With XIII-2, they had planned DLC from the very beginning – building it with that extra content in mind. To round out the story, Kitase believes it was effective that they had those additional episodes in place. “Following their release, players voiced concerns of confusion and frustration, saying that they didn’t really add anything to the main part of the story,” says Kitase. As a result, the story for Lightning Returns will conclude within the main part of the game already on disc.

Costume customization – Lightning’s personal job system

The customization system in LRFFXIII is very similar to the classic Final Fantasy job system, or perhaps even FFXIII’s own Paradigm System. “The new system has been expanded so that players will have more freedom with abilities that they can assign,” according to Toriyama. Unlike the job system in say, FFV, where roles were more specific to each job, the system in LRFFXIII is a lot more expansive. “The player can lean toward a more action-oriented style of battle with commands like Guard or Strike or Dodge-Roll. Or, for those more interested in a typical RPG style, you can customize Lightning to cast magic.” In addition to assigning elements such as commands, Lightning’s actual outfits can be changed, with items like shields and weapons mixed and matched. Her outfits can be micromanaged down to the smallest detail, including custom colors that will appear while exploring the world as well.

Introducing the Amazing Active Time Battle
As the sole player character, Lightning will have many challenges ahead of her

As the sole player character, Lightning will have many challenges ahead of her.

The game’s battle system is still undergoing various treatments. In particular, the current user interface will probably see some changes by the time the game ships. As enemies can be found on the field again, battles are prefaced by an encounter system that allows Lightning to sneak up on them to perform preemptive strikes. Doing so correctly will introduce certain advantages which are quite advanced from FFXIII. For example, if Lightning can strike first, the enemy will lose 10% of their starting HP; if Lightning can strike an enemy from behind instead, they’ll lose 25% of their HP.

Once in battle, an active dodge and counter system is available. Each command equipped to Lightning can be accessed by the four face buttons on the controller, while full field movement is controlled by the left analog stick. Similar to most action games, by using the Guard ability Lightning can reduce any damage done to her.

What about the returning characters?

As the third game in the series, it’s only natural to wonder about the fate of the supporting cast. We already know that Snow and Hope are in, with the latter supporting Lightning from afar. FFXIII-2 lead Noel Kreiss will also reappear, though with strikingly different motivations.

Hunderds of years alone has stirred a darkness in him, one that grows due to the infection of Chaos. Now known as the Shadow Hunter, he hunts down wrongdoers in the city of Luxerion. With the souls of former comrades corrupted, Lightning has no choice but to battle to free them of their burdens.

The role of shops and other vendors

Shops have returned to the series in full force – in a variety that Toriyama claims is the most diverse in the franchise. Not only will Lightning be able to buy equipment parts, but also abilities, magic and other items. Because abilities are now purchased via store fronts, the Crystarium system has been scrapped. If necessary, she can also visit restaurants to buy food items that restore HP or other status effects.

So after all of that, what did we think? That comes later. Keep an eye on the site for our dedicated impressions article, and stay tuned for even more Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII coverage in the near future.
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Friendly Bookworm

Lightning's outfits are called "Garbs" and some tweaking was done in the name of the "Sand Storm" garb, and is now called "Shadow Dust."

Lightning's default outfit is called "Equilibrium."

There are three more garbs named at the moment, but not pictured:
"Cresent Moon", "Heart Burglar", and "Sorceress".

As mentioned in Cupcaksu's previous post in the interview, each garb will harness different abilities in battle, making them more useful than just looks.

Final Fantasy Wikia's Featured Image of the Week was Lightning's "Dark Soul" garb and is starting a page with a chart on what each garb is and does:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII_Garb

---

The new Final Fantasy "All The Bravest" game for iOS features Lightning in a pixel sprite character with this as her description:
Quote:
"This lady of the Bodhum Security Regiment is a true pro, and far from a yes-woman."
—Description

And her sprite:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thought it be cute to share. You can also buy an Airship Ticket to the Archlype Steppe.

Friendly Bookworm

MooMooJuice
Oh and the reason he's angry at Lightning is because he thinks she isn't real because he believes Lightning is dead.

('s what I'm hearing. Maybe I should be looking on the webpage to see if this information is up there....)

I was able to get this from FF Wikia:
Quote:
Noel returns, now known as the "Shadow Hunter." Affected by chaos and thus suffering from a heavy burden in his heart, Noel sets out to right the wrongs that have been done to the world. He refuses to believe Lightning is real since she's "already dead," and engages her in a one-on-one battle.[13]
I hope the other outfits look nice. I'm not impressed with the ones they've released so far. >.>

Angelic Star

10,750 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
User Image

gaia_angelleft gaia_star

Yeah, I'm not impressed with these bizarre designs and dull gray/green color schemes. Her LR outfit in the promotional work is alright, but both of those two other costumes are bleh. Hoping we get more stylish costumes with a variety of colors.
there are some odd things about it, but overall i like her default outfit, and Lumina just looks amazing. so why do are we getting camo (which is more practical, but come on, this is a fantasy game and the look just doesn't suit her. Yeah I prefer aesthetic > realistic) and disco pant thigh high things.

I want more outfits reminiscent of her XIII attire (will the belly ring ever make an appearance again?).

Precious Reindeer

10,750 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
User Image

The sprite they used for Light in "All the Bravest" is so adorable! I love it. <3 Still won't buy the game however. And after seeing the two new outfits that you can customize her in, I think she looks fab. Although the Shadow's Dust is kinda bland looking. :/ I'm just glad that she'll be customizable with different outfits. :'D As a cosplayer though that's gonna be killer on my wallet making all those outfits. XD;

User Image

Apocalyptic Phantom

11,250 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
Equilibrium has really grown on me now...
But I still need XIII-2 and XIII Light! Heart Burglar is giving me a pretty bad feeling too...Scary images of Lightning dressed like this...

The more I read, the more I want it....

Out of curisoity, has anyone said anything about the Styles yet? It it pretty much just customisable Paradigms?

Friendly Bookworm

Riku Lucifen
Equilibrium has really grown on me now...
But I still need XIII-2 and XIII Light! Heart Burglar is giving me a pretty bad feeling too...Scary images of Lightning dressed like this...

The more I read, the more I want it....

Out of curisoity, has anyone said anything about the Styles yet? It it pretty much just customisable Paradigms?

Instead of paradigms, they offer some stat boosts or abilities. I would say kinda like the dress spheres in X-2 kinda did depending on how much each party member wore a costume.

I will also state now that if the Sorceress garb has something to do with Final Fantasy VIII... I'm going to die laughing.

Apocalyptic Phantom

11,250 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
Laili

Ah, thanks Laili!
Ulti style?

Friendly Bookworm

Riku Lucifen
Laili

Ah, thanks Laili!
Ulti style?

That's pretty badass.

There will still be a paradigm system in place for how Lightning performs in battle, but the garbs will be like an accessory as to how well she can perform or what she can do.
The FF forum mods are kinda pissing me off lately

on another note, the theories on Lumina in tumblr are getting kinda strange

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas