Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should FFXV incorporate another job system?

Yes! Gimme ALL the jobs! 0.60975609756098 61.0% [ 25 ]
Now that you mention it...it's time for a change... 0.14634146341463 14.6% [ 6 ]
Ugh, no way! I'm tired of the job system! 0.1219512195122 12.2% [ 5 ]
[generic whore option] 0.1219512195122 12.2% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 41 ]
< 1 2 3

Enlightened Hero

34,475 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Bookworm 100
The job system is a hallmark of Final Fantasy, I actually miss it when it's not a part of the game. I mean, what do want them to get rid of next, chocobos and moogles?
Hidariude
The job system is a hallmark of Final Fantasy, I actually miss it when it's not a part of the game. I mean, what do want them to get rid of next, chocobos and moogles?
I really wouldn't say it's been a hallmark to the series when out of the first ten games, it was only implemented in two of them. Three if you consider FF1 to be a job system.

And good lord, I don't want them to get RID of it, I just don't want it in literally every single main series game they release.

Enlightened Hero

34,475 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Bookworm 100
Kuja9113
Hidariude
I really wouldn't say it's been a hallmark to the series when out of the first ten games, it was only implemented in two of them. Three if you consider FF1 to be a job system.

And good lord, I don't want them to get RID of it, I just don't want it in literally every single main series game they release.

Yes the first game had a job system, technically the others do too, but they are fixed rather than being chosen by the player. FF2 had a white mage, a monk, a dragoon and a dark knight, introducing the last two jobs for the first time. FF4 everybody had a job but they were fixed along with everything else. FF6 had some jobs too, but rarely documented officially, and in the FF7 manual every character is listed with a job including some very unique jobs. FF8 technically follows jobs too, FF9 again has fixed jobs and it relies heavily on at least paying homage to the job system (Vivi the Black Mage, Dagger and Eiko the Summoners). FF10 actually leans toward a job system, each character starts in the middle of a section of the sphere grid that favors one job, including white mage, black mage, thief, samurai and blue mage not to mention the game revolves around a fixed summoner. the games that formally feature the Job System allow customization, but even without the choices, the job system is at least used by the game creators as a baseline.
Hidariude
Kuja9113
Hidariude

Yes the first game had a job system, technically the others do too, but they are fixed rather than being chosen by the player. FF2 had a white mage, a monk, a dragoon and a dark knight, introducing the last two jobs for the first time. FF4 everybody had a job but they were fixed along with everything else. FF6 had some jobs too, but rarely documented officially, and in the FF7 manual every character is listed with a job including some very unique jobs. FF8 technically follows jobs too, FF9 again has fixed jobs and it relies heavily on at least paying homage to the job system (Vivi the Black Mage, Dagger and Eiko the Summoners). FF10 actually leans toward a job system, each character starts in the middle of a section of the sphere grid that favors one job, including white mage, black mage, thief, samurai and blue mage not to mention the game revolves around a fixed summoner. the games that formally feature the Job System allow customization, but even without the choices, the job system is at least used by the game creators as a baseline.

Kuja9113
And by job system, I of course mean your character(s) can switch jobs at their leisure and have their pick of several jobs to choose from.

FF Wiki
The basic concept of the system is that each player character starts as a blank slate on which to choose character classes, much like in computer RPGs, and has development directly controlled by the player's decisions.
-http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Job_system

7,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
I'm okay with the job system as long as:

1. It's not FF3's mechanics. (weakness Job change is really annoying and the wait time stacks!)
2. It's not FF5's Mechanics (Too Much classes and Screw you Enuo!)

Love X-2's Class change during battle.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kuja9113
Hidariude
Kuja9113
Hidariude

Kuja9113
And by job system, I of course mean your character(s) can switch jobs at their leisure and have their pick of several jobs to choose from.

FF Wiki
The basic concept of the system is that each player character starts as a blank slate on which to choose character classes, much like in computer RPGs, and has development directly controlled by the player's decisions.
I get what Hidariude means. Final Fantasy is pretty much entirely based around the job system, it simply presents itself in different ways.
Either you can switch at leisure between various set job classes (3,5,10-2,13) or you play as characters with fixed job classes(1,4,9) or you have access to all abilities, which themselves fall under the categories of certain job classes, giving you the most freedom (2,6,7,8,10,12)
Not to mention, especially in later games, each character tends to have their own subtle job class, Zell is a monk, Quistis a blue mage, Sazh is a synergist, etc.

That quote from the FF Wiki could easily be interpreted as the latter as well, and be applied to VI-VIII and X.
The characters are blank slates, which you have complete control over, and you dictate how their jobs evolve. The difference is merely the range of control the play has.

Kuja9113

I think where you went wrong was the "of course"
What might seem obvious to you isn't the case for everyone else.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Ancient Wing

Depends which version of 5 you're playing. The remake certain adds too many classes. I mean what the heck is a Cannoneer?

7,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
Seraphor
Ancient Wing

Depends which version of 5 you're playing. The remake certain adds too many classes. I mean what the heck is a Cannoneer?

I Played the GBA. Cannoneer just made me skip Neo-Exdeath. Gladiator is for Nothing, and Oracle is just being ignored.
Seraphor
Kuja9113
Hidariude
Kuja9113
Hidariude

Kuja9113

FF Wiki
I get what Hidariude means. Final Fantasy is pretty much entirely based around the job system, it simply presents itself in different ways.
Either you can switch at leisure between various set job classes (3,5,10-2,13) or you play as characters with fixed job classes(1,4,9) or you have access to all abilities, which themselves fall under the categories of certain job classes, giving you the most freedom (2,6,7,8,10,12)
Not to mention, especially in later games, each character tends to have their own subtle job class, Zell is a monk, Quistis a blue mage, Sazh is a synergist, etc.

That quote from the FF Wiki could easily be interpreted as the latter as well, and be applied to VI-VIII and X.
The characters are blank slates, which you have complete control over, and you dictate how their jobs evolve. The difference is merely the range of control the play has.

Kuja9113

I think where you went wrong was the "of course"
What might seem obvious to you isn't the case for everyone else.
Fair enough. I thought that the term "job system" in the way I meant it was pretty commonly accepted, but then I again I hear people call the entire series "turn-based" all the time and it drives me friggin nuts.

Dapper Hellraiser

6,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I personally like the job system. Being able to also change between jobs is refreshing because most other games and MMOs don't let you do that, so if you don't like your class you HAVE to make another character, which can be annoying.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff