Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which is better, A 2D Fighting game or a 3D Fighting game?

3D Fighting Games FTW! 0.22916666666667 22.9% [ 11 ]
2D all the way! 0.45833333333333 45.8% [ 22 ]
I'm Indifferent... 0.3125 31.2% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 48 ]
1 2 3 >

Which is Better in your opinion, playing a 3D fighting game or a 2D fighting game?(And why)

cannibalelves's Fangirl

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
Depends on the game mechanics.

Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear work better in 2D. Soul Calibur works better in 3D.
ℜinny says: I like the feel of 2D fighters more.
User Image

2D and 2.5D. 3D fighters feel awkward.
I prefer 3d, because they function more like real fights.

2d relies too much on the fact that it's overlapping animations with no real physics for me to really take seriously.

2.5d is this wierd middle ground. Has the potential to be the best of both worlds, but they are usually horrible games for other reasons.

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
Eh. Either/or, really.

Sex Symbol

I like the 2D Because It's classic.
I like the 3D because it gives you more thrills.

So basically...I like both.

5,150 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I prefer 3D fighters over 2D fighters because 2D fighters feel too cartoon-y IMO. With a 3D fighting game, I feel like I'm actually fighting someone.

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
Doesn't really matter imo. As long as the game is good.

Aged Bunny

I prefer 2D more.
I don't see the logic behind the previous whining about 2D games. If you want something to function like real fights, you get the UFC videogame. Just going to say this now though. 3D fighters share an equal amount of disconnection from realism.

As for myself, I have absolutely no preference, although I do play many many more hours of 2D fighting games than I do 3D fighters.
Degalon3

2d relies too much on the fact that it's overlapping animations with no real physics for me to really take seriously.

2.5d is this wierd middle ground. Has the potential to be the best of both worlds, but they are usually horrible games for other reasons.
2D relies on timing not memorization, thus reserved for a more skilled tier of player than 3D. I do happen to be a fan of Tekken and Soul series, they can be quite a challenge, but there's far more luck and button mashin involved.
Shadow Puppetry
I prefer 2D more.

Me too. I feel like the limitations of a 2D plane call for more strategic ways of thinking and, therefore, more depth. It is hard to make a 3D fighter that utilizes the fact that its in 3D. I feel that the only one that has done so adequately would be Virtua Fighter, even though I hate that game and prefer Soul Caliber and Tekken any day.

But my main games would have to be Blazblue and Street Fighter.
Achilles Phil
Degalon3

2D relies on timing not memorization, thus reserved for a more skilled tier of player than 3D. I do happen to be a fan of Tekken and Soul series, they can be quite a challenge, but there's far more luck and button mashin involved.

Im the other way around. I've found that 2d seems to be more luck and mashing. Mainly due to the iffy collision detection. A lot of it is just luck, because regardless of skill, there's no guarantee that your character's attack won't simply pass through the opponents body, or it won't read the input correctly, etc. And, like in street fighter, the main 2d fighter, mashing jabs is one of the main bread and butter tactics for most players.

Not to say that 3d fighters don't have faults, but I've found that 2d players tend to...emphasize their genre's faults more than 3d players. Which has made 3d fighters generally more fun to play, to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff