Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
chaos.ultima.mage
Soul Calibur 2 was the last good one and I don't expect that to change.

I disagree and would like to hear your reasons why you dislike 3 and 4.

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Sifen Yamishi
Fighters Generation also has some media up:

Soul Calibur V

That's a great link! Thanks for sharing, I'll check that page frequently and put up each new piece of info as I have in the past.

Aged Gaian

Crimson Checkerboard
chaos.ultima.mage

Completely changing the playstyle of certain characters.
New, incredibly cheap and/or stupid characters
More retarded console characters (also see point 2)
Character creator - these are stupid in fighting games anyway (this is probably the least of my complaints, as I did goof off with it and it certainly wasn't terrible compared to other fighting games I've seen with them)

I played SC2 more than I currently play World of Warcraft. I loved that game. None of the other ones have been able to catch me the same way because of how much they changed everything.

Fashionable Vampire

Crimson Checkerboard
Sifen Yamishi
Fighters Generation also has some media up:

Soul Calibur V

That's a great link! Thanks for sharing, I'll check that page frequently and put up each new piece of info as I have in the past.

Feel free to have that link up.

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Attention: I put a new link in the OP. Please take a look!

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
chaos.ultima.mage
Crimson Checkerboard
chaos.ultima.mage

Character creator - these are stupid in fighting games anyway (this is probably the least of my complaints, as I did goof off with it and it certainly wasn't terrible compared to other fighting games I've seen with them)

I played SC2 more than I currently play World of Warcraft. I loved that game. None of the other ones have been able to catch me the same way because of how much they changed everything.

Well, rebuttal time.

1. I'm not sure which characters you mean. Almost everyone stayed the same in 3, but yes, 4 brought about some big changes, especially in my main, Ivy. Stalemate

You - 0
Me - 0

2. Well, Tira is fine, Setsuka is a pain to play because of all of her just inputs, and Zasa can combo the SCHEIßE out of you, if you're not careful. Hilde is broken. This was admitted even by the production team. They plan on either tossing her out OR fixing her, but they refuse to keep her the way she is. Algol isn't very popular and is broken. He won't be returning.
But still, practicing enough will help these characters become less cheap. However, I can't change your opinion about the "stupidity" of characters, because some people are very stubborn about opinions.

You - 1
Me - 1

3. I must agree, the Star Wars characters were a real let down, however, they were optional. Playing against them online(Starkiller especially, even offline) was a pain. You have a valid point.

You - 2
Me - 1

4. This was a very positive addition to the series and I disagree wholly, as will most of the fanbase. I had a lot of fun making characters and adjusting their skills to my liking. It was also a great time-killer. I'm sorry, but your argument is invalid.

You - 2
Me - 2

Well, it looks like it's a total draw. I can't change your opinion, but maybe the next person to read this post will think a little differently.
I doubt it, but I REALLY hope they bring Kamikirimusi back.

It was nice to finally see Nightmare's fighting style used with a proper weapon. He just swings his weapon around like a club anyways, so it was far better to actually be USING a club.

Plus I just like her overall design.

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
So, there have been 2 silhouettes released. They are both of characters that are to be revealed at Comic-con this month. They are located here and here.

Please feel free to speculate on whether these are returning characters(please specify who) or if they are entirely new characters! In fact, I insist you do! Go! Do it! Talk!

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
Crimson Checkerboard
So, there have been 2 silhouettes released. They are both of characters that are to be revealed at Comic-con this month. They are located here and here.

Please feel free to speculate on whether these are returning characters(please specify who) or if they are entirely new characters! In fact, I insist you do! Go! Do it! Talk!
If the male is a returning character, I suspect it to be Raphael.

He has been getting darker every game, and the clothing looks like his style if it were tattered and 'dark'. The pose seems a bit like him, too. My hunch is an entirely new charcter, though, since Raphael is the only character I find even close to it, and it still looks quite a bit different from him.

As for the girl... My bet is Xianghua, or a new character. It seems very much Xianghua's style, and Xianghua has a vaguely reminiscent style to Raphael (swift combat with a narrow sword) to the point where they may have decided to pair the two for announcement. But this is in the same boat as the guy, so my bet is a new character.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
chaos.ultima.mage
To be fair, the very idea that a character creator can be a bad thing in a fighting game is outright absurd. How can that ever be a negative? It lets you create virtually anything you desire and use styles of characters you may not like otherwise. It adds infinite replay value. How could this ever be a bad thing? I guarantee there is no good answer to that.

As for Soul Calibur 2 being the last 'good' game in the series... Soul Calibur 3 and 4 play strikingly close to it, with some balance thrown off, but the only real problem I found in the sequels is that they did not evolve enough. Soul Calibur 2 is, by today's standards... kind of boring. Repeating that gameplay does not work because they gameplay only worked for its time. Sure, the game is still fun, but I get a lot more out of the third than I do the second, even without the character creator.

If anything, Soul Calibur 3 is the game one in the series, simply because it added a lot of extras and actually took a very small step backwards in gameplay. It was a terrible step for a sequel. They should have waited a good six to eight years or so and simply made Soul Calibur III how Soul Calibur IV is. That way there would have been more time to balance characters and touch a few things up.

But the differences between Soul Calibur 2, 3, and 4 are so... minimal that to say Soul Calibur 2 is a good game but 3 and 4 are bad is just... silly.
chaos.ultima.mage
Crimson Checkerboard
chaos.ultima.mage

ℜinny says: How is character creator a bad thing...?

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Poeden
Crimson Checkerboard

He has been getting darker every game, and the clothing looks like his style if it were tattered and 'dark'. The pose seems a bit like him, too. My hunch is an entirely new charcter, though, since Raphael is the only character I find even close to it, and it still looks quite a bit different from him.

As for the girl... My bet is Xianghua, or a new character. It seems very much Xianghua's style, and Xianghua has a vaguely reminiscent style to Raphael (swift combat with a narrow sword) to the point where they may have decided to pair the two for announcement. But this is in the same boat as the guy, so my bet is a new character.

I'm thinking that they're both new characters. Raphael is left-handed. This silhouette is edited to not show the weapon, which is clearly going to be held in his right hand once the silhouette is filled in. Not sure who to say it is, but it's a safe bet it's not Raphael.

The girl silhouette...look at how her arms are positioned. Look like a certain kunoichi we know rather than Xianghua? Yeah, looks like Taki, buuuuut....the chest is too small(too big in X's case), the hair isn't neat enough(styled completely differently for X), and the armor around the waist doesn't fit her(OR Xianghua). I'm saying new character in both cases. But we have 8 days or so until Comic-con, so let's be prepared!

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
Crimson Checkerboard
Poeden
Crimson Checkerboard

I'm thinking that they're both new characters. Raphael is left-handed. This silhouette is edited to not show the weapon, which is clearly going to be held in his right hand once the silhouette is filled in. Not sure who to say it is, but it's a safe bet it's not Raphael.

The girl silhouette...look at how her arms are positioned. Look like a certain kunoichi we know rather than Xianghua? Yeah, looks like Taki, buuuuut....the chest is too small(too big in X's case), the hair isn't neat enough(styled completely differently for X), and the armor around the waist doesn't fit her(OR Xianghua). I'm saying new character in both cases. But we have 8 days or so until Comic-con, so let's be prepared!
It makes me wonder... since there is so much about the female silhouette that looks like Taki's stance, and the clothing could be similar to her style of armor... what if Sophitia was not the only character to had a child and... likely get replaced?

What if Taki had a daughter who fights almost just like her?

And it got me thinking. Since Sophitia and Cassandra already fought a lot alike, and since Sophitia's children both have the same combat style as her and her sister... there is a good chance Sophitia and Cassandra got replaced. It makes me think... Sophitia (a very... 'gifted' female) and Cassandra (relatively gifted and lots of 'loose' outfits)... have been replaced by a guy and a considerably less 'gift', more modest female...

And this silhouette looks like Taki's style... but is clearly not as endowed as Taki. Taki may have been replaced by a daughter...

And Ivy has been confirmed, but has yet to be shown officially...

What if, and this is just a wild fan theory... they have decided to tone down the sexuality of this newest game by replacing or redesigning all the... 'special' girls?

Sparkly Punk

10,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Poeden
Crimson Checkerboard
Poeden
Crimson Checkerboard

It makes me wonder... since there is so much about the female silhouette that looks like Taki's stance, and the clothing could be similar to her style of armor... what if Sophitia was not the only character to had a child and... likely get replaced?

What if Taki had a daughter who fights almost just like her?

And it got me thinking. Since Sophitia and Cassandra already fought a lot alike, and since Sophitia's children both have the same combat style as her and her sister... there is a good chance Sophitia and Cassandra got replaced. It makes me think... Sophitia (a very... 'gifted' female) and Cassandra (relatively gifted and lots of 'loose' outfits)... have been replaced by a guy and a considerably less 'gift', more modest female...

And this silhouette looks like Taki's style... but is clearly not as endowed as Taki. Taki may have been replaced by a daughter...

And Ivy has been confirmed, but has yet to be shown officially...

What if, and this is just a wild fan theory... they have decided to tone down the sexuality of this newest game by replacing or redesigning all the... 'special' girls?

Well, they'd lose a giant chunk of their fanbase. Ivy's tight-fitting, skimpy outfits are iconic. Taki's assets aren't so much so, but are kind of important. They'd lose so much money. I'm betting that Taki's replaced with a more nimble, younger girl. Now, this girl would have to be say about 14 or 15, and that's not outside SC's age range. I mean, Amy was in SC3 at like, 12 or 13.

I'm kind of hoping to see a new face for Taki's style. Sure, she's a bit of an icon, but not so much as Ivy, who's been, get this, confirmed to have not physically aged in 17 years due to plot points. I'm betting this new girl is replacing Taki.

Aged Gaian

RlNNY
ℜinny says: How is character creator a bad thing...?

Poeden
To be fair, the very idea that a character creator can be a bad thing in a fighting game is outright absurd. How can that ever be a negative? It lets you create virtually anything you desire and use styles of characters you may not like otherwise. It adds infinite replay value. How could this ever be a bad thing? I guarantee there is no good answer to that.

As for Soul Calibur 2 being the last 'good' game in the series... Soul Calibur 3 and 4 play strikingly close to it, with some balance thrown off, but the only real problem I found in the sequels is that they did not evolve enough. Soul Calibur 2 is, by today's standards... kind of boring. Repeating that gameplay does not work because they gameplay only worked for its time. Sure, the game is still fun, but I get a lot more out of the third than I do the second, even without the character creator.

If anything, Soul Calibur 3 is the game one in the series, simply because it added a lot of extras and actually took a very small step backwards in gameplay. It was a terrible step for a sequel. They should have waited a good six to eight years or so and simply made Soul Calibur III how Soul Calibur IV is. That way there would have been more time to balance characters and touch a few things up.

But the differences between Soul Calibur 2, 3, and 4 are so... minimal that to say Soul Calibur 2 is a good game but 3 and 4 are bad is just... silly.

As I said, the character creator is the least of my complaints, but it doesn't add anything important to the game and it certainly doesn't make up for the rest of the s**t they did to the games after SC2.

They still changed the playstyles of characters too much, they still added a bunch of really stupid, and incredibly cheap, new characters - which ties in with the retarded special characters. To be fair, SC2 had the dumb special characters too, and I refused to play with any of my friends who owned a Gamecube, because they did nothing but throw-spam with Link. Beating them was easy enough, but it takes all the fun out of it.

Soul Calibur 2 had the perfect balance of characters, move-sets that flowed perfectly for the characters, and solid gameplay on every other front. They should have continued it as it was, added the Conquest mode from the Arcade version in as an online mode, and not changed how the characters all played.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff