Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Cat

I've been eagerly awaiting a PC release of Skullgirls. I immediately took a liking to Peacock at first sight, and I can't wait to play as her and officially join the fandom. 3nodding
Sarahsuke
I've been eagerly awaiting a PC release of Skullgirls. I immediately took a liking to Peacock at first sight, and I can't wait to play as her and officially join the fandom. 3nodding

You're in luck because the PC version is supposed to be out later this year (or at least hopefully this year) if you didn't know. To be released on Steam, Origin, GamersGate, GameFly, and GameStop PC downloads.

Clean Junior

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Heavy Artillery
Captain Totoro
Does anyone know if there is going to be any DLC costumes? I'll be honest and say that I just play the game and don't really keep up to date with the wholes news and DLC about it

Well, there will most likely be DLC colors. Like Solblade said, there were a LOT of colors in prerelease videos that didn't make it into the final game.

Anyway... Actual costumes would be extremely impractical because they would require completely re-animating the entire character with the new outfit, fyi.

So yes to DLC colors, no to DLC costumes.

Ah, forgot about that. But, can't they re-use some of the drawings and character models? I understand drawing and re-animating the characters would take some time but I don't think it is all THAT BAD. If thats the case and they can't make costumes then I think that just results in laziness. I think the guys are spending way too much time drawing on white boards of street fighter characters (wtf?) instead of putting time in the game on how to help the game in the future.........fyi
Captain Totoro
Heavy Artillery
Captain Totoro
Does anyone know if there is going to be any DLC costumes? I'll be honest and say that I just play the game and don't really keep up to date with the wholes news and DLC about it

Well, there will most likely be DLC colors. Like Solblade said, there were a LOT of colors in prerelease videos that didn't make it into the final game.

Anyway... Actual costumes would be extremely impractical because they would require completely re-animating the entire character with the new outfit, fyi.

Ah, forgot about that. But, can't they re-use some of the drawings and character models? I understand drawing and re-animating the characters would take some time but I don't think it is all THAT BAD. If thats the case and they can't make costumes then I think that just results in laziness. I think the guys are spending way too much time drawing on white boards of street fighter characters (wtf?) instead of putting time in the game on how to help the game in the future.........fyi

They don't spend all day doing drawings on the whiteboard (it's more of a break time kind of thing). And it is worse than you think it is. Due to how they make characters, it takes 2-3 months to make just one (drawing, animating, playtesting, possibly other stuff I don't know). While it'd probably take closer to 2 months or less to do an entirely new outfit, all of that time could be spent making the next character or adding new content in the game. So no, it's not really out of laziness, just a lot of work that wouldn't benefit the game as a whole.

Honestly though, I would like actual new costumes and if there comes a time when the people over at Reverge could do it, then it's possible. But right now, the focus is on fixing stuff and making the next character.

Clean Junior

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Solblade44
Captain Totoro
Heavy Artillery
Captain Totoro

They don't spend all day doing drawings on the whiteboard (it's more of a break time kind of thing). And it is worse than you think it is. Due to how they make characters, it takes 2-3 months to make just one (drawing, animating, playtesting, possibly other stuff I don't know). While it'd probably take closer to 2 months or less to do an entirely new outfit, all of that time could be spent making the next character or adding new content in the game. So no, it's not really out of laziness, just a lot of work that wouldn't benefit the game as a whole.

Honestly though, I would like actual new costumes and if there comes a time when the people over at Reverge could do it, then it's possible. But right now, the focus is on fixing stuff and making the next character.

Although you do make very good points, that still does not mean they are not able to make new character outfits. Sure, it would probably be better to work on new characters but all of that should have been presented on the games release. Not make HALF a game and release with (and lets be honest) barely any content. Extras mode only give you the credits (really?) I think the game would have benefited more if they added character endings and intros in the extras. Atleast thats what I was expecting. And if it would have taken more time for all of that than by all means take their damn time. DLC should consist of extra things that you could have just for aesthetics such as costumes and colors. Not Characters that should have been in the game in the first place. and may have even changed the mind of some willing buyers. And on top of that, they spend their free time drawing characters from street fighter. I understand that they are fans of the game but I don't want to see drawings and representations of other games, I want to see drawings and representations of theirs. I really like SkullGirls but i'll admit I havent played it in awhile (probably in about 2-3 weeks now) because of the s**t online multiplayer, and lack of content
Captain Totoro
Solblade44
Captain Totoro
Heavy Artillery
Captain Totoro

Although you do make very good points, that still does not mean they are not able to make new character outfits. Sure, it would probably be better to work on new characters but all of that should have been presented on the games release. Not make HALF a game and release with (and lets be honest) barely any content. Extras mode only give you the credits (really?) I think the game would have benefited more if they added character endings and intros in the extras. Atleast thats what I was expecting. And if it would have taken more time for all of that than by all means take their damn time. DLC should consist of extra things that you could have just for aesthetics such as costumes and colors. Not Characters that should have been in the game in the first place. and may have even changed the mind of some willing buyers. And on top of that, they spend their free time drawing characters from street fighter. I understand that they are fans of the game but I don't want to see drawings and representations of other games, I want to see drawings and representations of theirs. I really like SkullGirls but i'll admit I havent played it in awhile (probably in about 2-3 weeks now) because of the s**t online multiplayer, and lack of content

First off, I will say admit the game is pretty bare bones. Everyone who has played the full version of the game knows that... or at least they should. You'd have to blind to not see that.

If they had the time and resources to make it a legitimate full game on par with other fighters, they could've had a roster close to that of a Vs title (Alex Ahad said that if given time, the roster could be as large as 30-40 characters), it probably would've had a retail release instead of downloadable as it is now, and it most likely wouldn't be sold for another few years.

But they didn't have the time or the resources that other big game companies have at their disposal since their a small, indie development team. Fans wanted the game sooner rather than later, they couldn't push back the game again after having already done so (it was supposed to be out during the first quarter of 2012), and I'm pretty sure Konami wanted them to get the game out since they're funding it, so they hurried up and finished the core game.

As for them releasing new characters as DLC, I don't see the problem here. Their budget only allowed for 8 characters, so having to actually spend time making more post-release was always the plan. Can the post-release content be something like an actual new costume for the characters? Yes, but would you rather have a costume - and by costume, I mean something completely different from what the character is wearing such as Peacock wearing a suit instead of the dress she wears now - or a new character that adds more strategy to the game?

You say that the game lacks in content, but you say you'd want them to spend time on stuff that would only pad the game (new costumes)... okay, I'm pretty sure you mean more than that. Okay, let's add in new game modes (the upcoming tournament mode notwithstanding): how about Survival Mode, where you pick a team and keep fighting until you lose, or something like Blazblue's Legion Mode (pick a team, try to take over a map). Oh, we need also need a Challenge Mode. Alrighty, we have a nice list of new modes to add, so why didn't Reverge add stuff like this? Mainly because during development, making this stuff would've taken away time from completing the main game. Okay, so they have time now, why not do it? And all I can answer with is... I don't have an answer. Maybe Reverge is working on new modes, maybe they aren't. That list of patches isn't 100% definite, so maybe a new mode will be in it.

Anyways, I've gone off track. Before I get back on it, I will say that the Extras menu is definitely looking lonely, so I hope they do add stuff in it. It wouldn't say "coming soon" on the menu if it wasn't true.

Okay, you say that DLC should be for just little extra stuff, but whatever DLC for in a game is decided by the developer. If you think DLC should just consist of little add-ons, then if you make a game, go ahead and do that. Honestly, I'm just glad that Skullgirls is getting post-release content at all. They could've easily just stopped working on it and it really would have no content. But for a $15 game, we're getting a full-fledged fighting game on par with the other ones out now, it's just short on characters. Marvel vs Capcom 3 when it launched had as much as Skullgirls does now: single player, vs mode, online. Okay, so they had more characters and a viewer for endings and stuff, but MvC3 was just as barebones. Give them time, they'll add more. Blazblue started with only 10 and now it's 18, 3 of which were DLC. Or would you rather have to download Skullgirls 2, which would only be adding new characters and not changing the gameplay by much, which seems to be what every other fighting game does?

Finally, Whiteboard Wednesday. I've seen plenty of them and its not just Street Fighter stuff. They had it for the past two weeks, but before that we were getting tons of stuff about Squigly, one of the confirmed characters for DLC. Hell, I'd say it's more along the lines of random stuff lumped together. So don't knock on it for being unoriginal. They don't have to show it off if they're just going to be criticized about quick doodles they make while on the way to the bathroom or whenever they do that stuff.

Clean Junior

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Okay, obviously you are very well informed about this game. And I apologize for my ignorance, as I said earlier, I don't keep up to date with everything I don't dwell to much on the whole behind the scenes aspect of it, but how many more dlc characters and modes and extras do we need to finally get a complete game? Sure for a game thats 15 dollars you shouldn't expect too much from it. Also, what about online? Online is bs in my opinion! You try to choose a region and it still matches you up with someone. Lag compensation is horrible, and when I actually find a match it says something about waiting for player 3. (something like that) And the wait is forever. You are paired up with the same person more than twice. I get it, they don't have a big budget and everything had to be rushed, but I expect a solid game with character that are not broken and actually balance, and a developer who doesn't b***h about people complaining about how the characters are broken.

Don't think that I hate the game, I just think it can be improved.
Captain Totoro
Okay, obviously you are very well informed about this game. And I apologize for my ignorance, as I said earlier, I don't keep up to date with everything I don't dwell to much on the whole behind the scenes aspect of it, but how many more dlc characters and modes and extras do we need to finally get a complete game? Sure for a game thats 15 dollars you shouldn't expect too much from it. Also, what about online? Online is bs in my opinion! You try to choose a region and it still matches you up with someone. Lag compensation is horrible, and when I actually find a match it says something about waiting for player 3. (something like that) And the wait is forever. You are paired up with the same person more than twice. I get it, they don't have a big budget and everything had to be rushed, but I expect a solid game with character that are not broken and actually balance, and a developer who doesn't b***h about people complaining about how the characters are broken.

Don't think that I hate the game, I just think it can be improved.

Nah, it's cool. I don't know as much as those on the SRK forums, but I guess I do know more than some.

Anyways, I'm not sure how to answer the character/mode question. I guess if there's ever a point when they decide to stop making stuff, then it may be considered complete. Even if that happened, some might say that the game still feels like its a piece of half finished crap even if it had the best of everything, but that would most likely come from the haters.

As for the online, they are trying to fix stuff. The upcoming patch will fix the US vs EU problem (it should allow for the two regions to play together without crashing), include new regions to fight against, and the matchmaking tiers will be changed to only 3 along with making them more lenient.

The lag issue I'm not sure about. For the most part people are playing just fine, but there is the occasional person who complains that everything lags for no reason. I want to say it's that person's connection, but it could very well be something else.

Finally, the devs complaining about people complaining? It's not too bad for Skullgirls. Mike Z did express some disgust about having to nerf Double's HK Hornet Bomber after fan outcry and an executive telling him that it may be necessary, but overall its not super bad. It's not like anyone over at Reverge is turning into the Hulk over these kinds of issues.

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

9,775 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
It took me a while to get this game but I got it yesterday.

I thought I was going to get bodied online, but I beat a few peoples.

heart
Skullgirls, featuring.....LITTLEKURIBOH!

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I played Skullgirls on xbox. I picked it up pretty quickly due to my knack for fighting games, still working on mastering some Peacock combos. Unfortunately using my friend's xbox doesn't give me a lot of time for practicing.

Honestly, can't wait for the PC version. Apprently Skullgirls will be available on Steam which makes me quite happy.

Peacock is really the only character I have any interest in playing, oddly enough.. I mean the other characters are cool I guess, but Peacock is just in her own league of awesome...
I play as Ms.Fortune and Double. I've meet the creators (Alex and his crew) and everything at Fanime, they are really awesome people.
For Comic-con I'm planning to cosplay Minette~
Demetria656
I play as Ms.Fortune and Double. I've meet the creators (Alex and his crew) and everything at Fanime, they are really awesome people.
For Comic-con I'm planning to cosplay Minette~

Lucky you biggrin I hope to see you at Comic Con. I haven't seen anyone try Minette yet. Oh and is that you as Ms. Fortune or is that someone else?
Quote:

Lucky you biggrin I hope to see you at Comic Con. I haven't seen anyone try Minette yet. Oh and is that you as Ms. Fortune or is that someone else?

Yes Sirrrr~ That is me as the Feline thief herself!
Cool! I hope to see you as well/ Can't wait this is my first comic-con! I'm working on Minette's Gill head piece now.

Girl-Crazy Raider

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Brandisher 100

I love the s**t out of Skull Girls.

Double is mai waifu.
She is so pure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff