Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
Omikuji
The characters seem very flat personality and design wise, it reminds me of a bunch of gimmiky characters without any really rounded out interesting bits to them. I really doubt that a game like this can really formulate a story that would be interesting for me, so without characters I can get behind I'd have no reason for wanting to play it.
I'm going to assume you've never actually played a fighting game since you've pretty much just described every single fighting game ever made.

Blessed Heckler

I look at that post you just quoted, and then back to Skullgirls, and then back to the post.

Is Omikuji looking at the same game this thread is talking about?! .- .

This game's got personality coming out of every orifice, especially the characters.

I'm just gonna assume that this person is making baseless assumptions about this game because god damn, what are we comparing SG to that makes it look "bland in comparison"? o__o
Omikuji did say they looked at a bunch of Skullgirls videos, but since they said "they fight with hats", I'm guessing the videos were older ones. But it's like I said earlier, this game isn't going to appeal to everyone and that fact has been acknowledged by Alex Ahad himself. But for the fans, it's gonna be freakin' sweet!

Shameless Shapeshifter

looks... interesting.

Blessed Heckler

I think in retrospect stuff like that "girls that fight with hats" is gonna be hilarious. We're gonna have a whole lot of cowboy bebop at his computer type of confusions coming from people who have only watched a few matches, lol...

Yeah, this game definitely won't appeal to everyone. People are weird like that. P: But you're right, for those that give it a chance it's gonna be beautiful.

I just hope that once the game is out and people actually have a chance to play it, that the gameplay will hook them. And the aesthetics will grow on the folks who were sitting on the fence.

There are a lot of things I like about this game's visual style (and not coz of Gaia, mind you), and I'd be thrilled to see more people recognize it.

Friendly Friend

Omikuji
I... personally don't care for it.

I don't enjoy fanservice games though, certianly with that art style. At the same time though as a fighter I don't see it being all that interesting since really it's just the art style that is carrying it. The characters seem very flat personality and design wise, it reminds me of a bunch of gimmiky characters without any really rounded out interesting bits to them. I really doubt that a game like this can really formulate a story that would be interesting for me, so without characters I can get behind I'd have no reason for wanting to play it.

Hrmmm I think that's it. I don't like gimmiky characters, and I don't get any joy from fan service. This game is a huge pass for me.

(Why yes I am one of them odd ones who likes the story in fighting games. A good narrative in any game is required to make at least me invested to want to keep fighting)

Also, I don't care if it was by a Gaia artist. I mean, the art in Bastion was done by a Gaia artist, and I didn't go foaming about it, the artists name means nothin to me XD
Very ignorant statement
To clear everyones heads, the person who helped develop Skullgirls is a top tournament winning player. This is a game design for the Fighting Game Community by the Fighting Game Community. If you think this game is just Art and Fan Service you're are severely doing it an injustice. This game is going to be amazing, and by the way all these people saying it's just big boobs to attract guys.......the person who does the jiggle animations and such is a girl.
I will now slam my gavel.

Friendly Friend

Also shoutouts to the quote "The characters have no personality and feel flat"
because I'm sure Ryu/Ken (Street Fighter) Jin/Xiaoyu (Tekken) Sol/Ky (Guilty Gear) Iori/Kyo (King of Fighters)
all those characters have Soooooooo much personality, and Peacock is definitely just another ordinary fighting game character with absolutely no personality. Seen that character done a million times for sure................
Nothing says unoriginality like a girl being kidnapped, mutilated and traumatized to the point she doesn't know the difference between what is real and what is fake.

Damn, if I could count how many times I saw that in my games.

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Moira 200
Heavy Artillery
I'm just gonna assume that this person is making baseless assumptions about this game
I assumed that right off the bat, but for different reasons.

She's noting things like weak story and gimmicky characters as a detriment to the game, when in reality that's pretty much describing every fighting game ever made.

Yes, fighting game rosters are gimmicky, that's the point. In all fighters, (most) characters have unique fighting styles that set them apart from the rest, with a unique look and flashy specials to set them apart further from the rest of the cast; fighting game characters need a gimmick because odds are you're not going to look into them beyond what you see in the screen before you. It's what lets you have karatekas that shoot fireballs from their hands, possessed psychos that can summon monsters, Indians that can stretch their arms infinitely and breath fire, and assassins that fight with ******** billiards balls and cues.

When you talk to someone out on the street about Street Fighter, you don't describe Chun-Li as "that Interpol agent who's constantly trying to take down M. Bison/Vega(depends where you are) and Shadaloo in the Street Fighter tournaments in order to avenge her father". No. You refer to her as "Thunderthighs", or "that chick with the fast kicks", or "that chick that can spin kick upside down and bounces around like a cheerleader whenever she wins". What's the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Mai or Ivy? Huge boobs. Mitsurugi? Samurai. Nightmare or Kliff Undersn? Big ******** sword.

Story is completely irrelevant in fighting games, and are rarely very good because they are considered an afterthought when you compare it to more important things like game mechanics and roster balance. Most often they come in the form of unique unlockable character intros, endings, and the occasional interlude, as a reward to the player for getting through whatever obstacles came his or her way. You don't play a fighting game like Tekken to see Jin's journey to get past his family's bloody legacy and overcome the demon threatening to take over his very soul, you play it to kick your buddies' asses, and perhaps take those skills to a more competitive environment.

If you want deep stories and rich characters, you don't play fighting games. That's what role-playing games are for (at least most of the western ones, anyway; I personally never found most Japanese RPGs that aren't Final Fantasy 6 to be all that deep).

I don't have any real comments on the game as of yet, and won't until I actually sit down and play it.
If you'd like to know what sets this game apart from other fighting games, and the amount of detail they've put since this game was developed in part from the fighting game community, watch this video:

Lindsays, I commend you. Everything you said was pretty much right.

I will admit I do like to look into stories of my favorite characters, but I won't deny that I refer to Chun-Li as the girl who can snap you in two.

And you need to look further. There are a lot of Eastern rpgs with a good story. Just a lot of them are in the closet and never have the funding to show in the West, such as things like Alteir Rorona. WHen I bought that people was like, 'What the hell is that?'.

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Moira 200
Shuro-kun
Lindsays, I commend you. Everything you said was pretty much right.

I will admit I do like to look into stories of my favorite characters, but I won't deny that I refer to Chun-Li as the girl who can snap you in two.

And you need to look further. There are a lot of Eastern rpgs with a good story. Just a lot of them are in the closet and never have the funding to show in the West, such as things like Alteir Rorona. WHen I bought that people was like, 'What the hell is that?'.
I try my best. :3

I wasn't saying there aren't people that don't look into their characters. Hell, I do it. But most people couldn't care less, they just want to see their opponent's life bar hit zero, and that's perfectly fine in a fighter.

I've seen a few JRPGs with at least decent storylines, though not many that immediately come to mind. Off the top of my head I can think of Final Fantasy 6 and the .hack series. Demon/Dark Souls is great, but the storyline isn't really anything to write home about.

I admit a big part of my shrugging off of JRPGS is the fact that I don't like anime-style art (it's also why I shrug off a lot of the popular moe fighters out there), Japanese character design, and turn/card-based systems(not saying it's Japan-exclusive, but that seems to be what's most popular), so you'll forgive me if I'm a bit shallow when it comes to eastern gaming in general.
I posted it in a Skullgirls topic in the gaming discussion, but I thought I'd spread the news here too. Looks like we have a release date.

Girl-Crazy Raider

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Brandisher 100
Omikuji

Let me start by saying no one is asking you to praise the game because it's an indie company's first game. In fact, I think that is a silly way to judge a game these days, where indie game companies are actually beginning to find solid ground in this market. Its a wonderful world we live in where this can happen! :3

Also, it's a game about girls. It's in the title and such... Let's move past that "equal fan service" thing. I'm a female, for example, and I appreciate the art of the game. The girls are pretty and I like it beyond the sexuality. I have found a lot of females I know (not the "target demographic" you think this game is only intended to reach) that have enjoyed and are anticipating this game and it's release. The feminism point of yours I concede to. I will also say that not every character is intended for fan service, e.g. Peacock.

Skullgirls is very much like Marvel. So any example I use of other fighting games will be MvC.
Everyone said X Factor was a gimmick... But the game is now built around it as part of core game play mechanic. Adding stat changes might actually be a viable element in a fighting game. It seems silly to ask for change and then write off any innovation as a gimmick. Sure, stat changes are around in RPGs. Has anyone ever thought to put them in a fighter? No. This is adding something new to the genre.

Also, skull girls has team play that actually is different. You can play teams of 1v1, 2v1, 3v1, etc., instead of equal teams. I think this is a change from the norm of current fighting game meta.

Also customizable assists are a part of the game as well. In marvel, for example, the only assists available are what the game has already built in. In Skullgirls, when choosing a character, you select custom assist, input the command, and the character will come on-screen using that input. For example, s.H for Cerebellum would be an assist option.

You have to realize a couple things. First, games in a certain genre don't fall that far from the tree. Most fighting games have very similar "ground rules" for lack of a better term. Basically, all of these games are looking for balance and functionality. There are a lot of pieces of this fighting game "puzzle," if you will, that are going to be very similar -- or even the same -- as other fighting games. These are tried and true elements that make the game itself function well.

Even though it is an indie company, actually, because this is an indie company on their first major title, they need something that will make money. These elements are included because the innovations the company is putting forth should not be bogged down by a bunch of radical -- and possibly unnecessary -- game play changes. Change for change's sake has a high possibility of failure or at the worst turns people off to your game. A few inspired tweaks may be what changes an indie fighter into a groundbreaking success. In fact, I think these changes might be for the better. This game made its debut at Evo2011, for god's sake.

This brings me to my next point. Genres don't change in a day. Successful titles that change the way we think about a genre in is entirety are not that common these days. This can be because a lot has been done before. Usually, genres change piece by piece. Each game tweaks the formula a little bit at a time. There is a very good reason for this! If a game comes out with a whole bunch of new features and completely innovative scheme, that may be well and fine. What if it doesn't work, though? Should all of the ideas be scrapped? How exactly are we to know what is viable and what isn't in an easily testable way? What if some concepts work but others don't and what pieces of game play would work with the already established standard? This is why small steps are a bigger benefit to the community as a whole.

I don't know, I think it is silly to write off a game because you don't think their idea of change is the right change. Writing off everything as a gimmick is a bit much. The game itself looks very well done, art wise and mechanic wise. I think the game play looks enjoyable. I don't know about the story but I've read the character profiles. The characters themselves look interesting and thought out and I already know who I want to play when I purchase the game. This tends to be rare for me, and is a first-impression I relish. I have a positive outlook for the finished product but who knows, it has yet to be released. We are arguing over game play videos. Until we have hands-on knowledge of the game I have no idea what to expect of all the elements together as a whole.

Girl-Crazy Raider

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Brandisher 100
Lindsays Trachea
Omikuji
The characters seem very flat personality and design wise, it reminds me of a bunch of gimmiky characters without any really rounded out interesting bits to them. I really doubt that a game like this can really formulate a story that would be interesting for me, so without characters I can get behind I'd have no reason for wanting to play it.
I'm going to assume you've never actually played a fighting game since you've pretty much just described every single fighting game ever made.

This made me laugh, good sir!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces