Welcome to Gaia! ::

Im VERY used to FPS games..and I decided to nab Persona 4 Arena. All my 7 online matches ive lost....and it dawns on me. Im really shitty.

I love to expand my skills and I thoight this may be a great start..but..I would like help.

If anyone has the Playstation 3 version, I would LOVE some lessons or long term help to gain some experience. Ive tried practiceing via story and training, but its...too easy. And online is, well, too hard.
While I don't have Persona 4 Arena (yet) or a PS3, I can give you some pointers for fighting games in general.

1) Watch some live streams to see how other people may use your character and how they deal with the rest
2) Go back to training mode and try to incorporate what you saw
3) It sounds weird, but go back online and get your butt kicked (or if you can, win). There's nothing better than facing off against a real person plus you can see if your strategies will work.
4) If you don't want to fight online, crank up the difficulty of the AI in the game to whatever you think is right and go up against them.
5) Blocking in fighting games is vital to losing less health. It sounds completely obvious, but its amazing that some people don't know to block properly. Gotta know when to block high or low, especially against overhead attacks.

Overall, it just takes a lot of practice to get better at fighting games.

Ruthless Rogue

Persona plays a bit different then other fighting games so even if you had practice in SSFF4 or even CVS2 the game is going to take awhile to get used to. But the suggestions in the post above are very good ones. And practice, practice makes you better.

Wealthy Fatcat

Syckological
Im VERY used to FPS games..and I decided to nab Persona 4 Arena. All my 7 online matches ive lost....and it dawns on me. Im really shitty.

I love to expand my skills and I thoight this may be a great start..but..I would like help.

If anyone has the Playstation 3 version, I would LOVE some lessons or long term help to gain some experience. Ive tried practiceing via story and training, but its...too easy. And online is, well, too hard.

I am also working on training with some of the characters i am not too good at.
I usually make a USA room on playstaion 3.
You can add me we can both practice my PSN is Cylucious
iSpanked You
Syckological

That sounds great! Ill add you with the subject being titled my Gaia name.
Solblade44
While I don't have Persona 4 Arena (yet) or a PS3, I can give you some pointers for fighting games in general.

1) Watch some live streams to see how other people may use your character and how they deal with the rest
3) It sounds weird, but go back online and get your butt kicked (or if you can, win). There's nothing better than facing off against a real person plus you can see if your strategies will work.
4) If you don't want to fight online, crank up the difficulty of the AI in the game to whatever you think is right and go up against them.
5) Blocking in fighting games is vital to losing less health. It sounds completely obvious, but its amazing that some people don't know to block properly. Gotta know when to block high or low, especially against overhead attacks.

Jumping into the convo but this! especially watching online videos and playing online. the FG community has become more open to sharing tech and what they learn on youtube and there are channels that have been posting streams from the Japanese arcade scenes. There are even sites that have forums for fighting games that include match ups so you can get familiar with how to approach the opposing characters. The ones I've been using are Dustloop and Mayonaka Midnight, the second one being a persona site. also losing online does help. If you know what stuff you have trouble countering then you can always test things out in training mode which is something I do when I have trouble with certain characters.

also those sites are nice to find people who use a variety of characters. so meeting people online and maybe having a few friendly matches for learning can't hurt, and it can be fun too. Oh! and if you want to add me too I have a ps3. it's Momo61507

Wealthy Fatcat

Syckological
iSpanked You
Syckological

Feel free to invite me to a math anytime
all people from JP kick my butt so fast lol
iSpanked You
Syckological
iSpanked You
Syckological

Exactly. I got paired with an S rank. Got killed in 20 seconds. Apparently the player was on my "skill level" according to.custom match.

Wealthy Fatcat

Syckological
iSpanked You
Syckological
iSpanked You
Syckological

Exactly. I got paired with an S rank. Got killed in 20 seconds. Apparently the player was on my "skill level" according to.custom match.

Weird. I dont know how the system pairs people.
the PSR thing doesn't seem to work all the time in ranked matches.
I'm not very good either, tbh. but I'd highly suggest find some friends to play with, like, do you have any close friends into Persona 4 at all? IF so, go for it. Then play through the characters until you find one you're good with. I was playing with Elizabeth and Aigis almost exclusively until I played online and got Labrys on Random and I've done a LOT BETTER where I'll win at least one round with her every fight.

ALSO , Challenge mode. Do that for the character you find you like the most. It helps a LOOOOOT.

Hilarious Codger

Solblade44

I am actually surprised at how many people do not take advantage of live streams and the internet in general when it comes to practicing.

Also OP, auto combos aren't good. Try to branch out and really experiment.

Decorated Pumpkin

18,500 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm not very good with fighting games either, but a recurring tip I keep seeing from various message boards is: Practice your blocking. The better you block, the better off you'll be.

Lunatic

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My friend bought that game and he's a big fighting game fan. He's played all the BlazBlue's and one of the Guilty Gears so he's good. I picked it up and managed to get quite a few wins off him only because I was good at Guilty Gear back in the day lol. Just gotta find the character you like the most and practice with them a lot. Fighting games kind of take patience to get into especially if you just started playing them. Persona only comes easy to me because I've played BlazBlue and GG. Try Yu out, very well balanced.

Dedicated Seeker

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
My BlazBlue and Mortal Kombat training became much easier when I added two elements to it;

1) A consistent training partner, preferably a real life friend that is roughly the same skill level as you. Someone that can come over, or you can go over to their house and play. For me, this is my friend FamiliarDan. Whenever we find out something new for our characters, we test it on each other. This way, we both improve constantly and we feel consistent pressure from each other (it's never one of us TOTALLY destroys the other, it's always fair competition).

2) Find a community and try to get your friend to join the same community. Having a community will let you talk to people who are more intelligent in terms of using your character, or defending against certain characters with that same one (called Match Up experience). Find a friendly community member that is also experienced and ask them questions. When you get beaten, ask them questions. When you come across a tactic that looks tough or impossible to beat, ask them questions. I guarantee you will get better and notice the difference.

3) This is optional but, go to tournaments eventually. If you constantly go to tourneys, you will improve much more in a week than you would in a year of not going to tournaments. It doesn't actually have to be a huge tourney either, it can be what are called Casuals, where random fans of that fighting game get together and play. The reason this is good is because it's Offline, not Online.

Online play is great but will never be as good as Offline play in terms of fighters.

4,450 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
just gaurd and block that combos

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items