Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
WARNING: There may potentially be spoilers in the comments.

Beat the story mode in 5 hours. It was stupid... & I'm a huge D.C. fan, & I even loved the Mortal Kombat game! Basically they show you all the cool stuff in the trailer, so it was like the game was spoiled, & I just couldn't get sucked into it. The whole time I was just like "wtf is going on...I can't believe this is what they came up with" xp
My only compliment is how they made this game as violent & awesome as possible with a "T" rating. A really, really stretched "T" rating!

First off, my biggest complaint is all the Batman characters! As much as I love Batman & his villains, that doesn't mean I want to play a fighting game full of batman people. It's a "D.C." fighting game, not a Batman fighting game.
This game got boring fast. The roster is all over the place, & half the characters are stupid and random picks. I at least thought they would make sense to the plot, but they don't at all. A lot of them are only even in the story mode for a few seconds.

One thing about the game that irks me the most is they wasted roster space on Ares. (there's actually a lot of wasted roster space) He's barely in the game, has nothing to do with the plot, & isn't even a D.C. chracter. He may exist in the universe, but he's not important to D.C. what so ever. Why is he in this game?! ><
The game over all feels lazy, & half assed to me. What were they working on for 2 years?! :l
And the latters are pointless, with really short tacked on "personal endings" if you will. Those also were given no thought to.
It's not worth the money in my opinion. Wait till it get's cheaper, or rent it.

On the up side, I hear the next Batman Arkham game is going to be a prequel, & feature Black Mask as the main villain!!!? emotion_bigheart

LET ME CLARIFY SOMETHING PEOPLE:
I didn't buy it purely for the story... I also like the fighting part. I just expect better from something that took 2 years, has a dumb roster, & is branded with D.C.
If they were going to s**t up a plot, then they could have at least have given us a decent roster, but they pulled that out their a**' as well & they're going to make us pay for characters, that should have already been in the game. When they want you to pay $60 for a short fighting game, why can't it have a good story? Really, it's the least they could do.
(Angry Joe apparently agrees with me) >>

Has anyone else played it? What do ya'll think?

Dapper Spotter

Ares shows up twice in the main story, and sets a great deal of things in motion in both appearances by sending Aquaman to the Insurgency, giving him an easy escape from Atlantis, and sending Wonder Woman to defeat her Regime counterpart and stop the Amazons from invading. Hell if Ares hadn't been there, the game's story might have played out very differently, he was more important to the plot than several other characters in the game such as Killer Frost, Grundy, Nightwing and probably even Regular Joker.

On top of that, it was nice to see a character from Wonder Woman's rogues gallery getting some attention for a change.

As for story mode, I agree it could have been longer. It was only 12 chapters, whereas MK9 and MK vs DC had at least 16 chapters worth of story. My only complaint with the story itself though was that they used the "let's go save the alternate universe" storyline again. I was hoping that Injustice's universe would be self contained and you'd be playing as the Insurgency and Regime fighting for control, not playing as the characters that come from the "good" universe to overthrow Superman. Still enjoyed it though.

Also S.T.A.R Labs should answer the time complaint. There's over 300 missions if I recall correctly, plenty of time to kill and fun to be had.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
GrayFox7
Ares shows up twice in the main story, and sets a great deal of things in motion in both appearances by sending Aquaman to the Insurgency, giving him an easy escape from Atlantis, and sending Wonder Woman to defeat her Regime counterpart and stop the Amazons from invading. Hell if Ares hadn't been there, the game's story might have played out very differently, he was more important to the plot than several other characters in the game such as Killer Frost, Grundy, Nightwing and probably even Regular Joker.

On top of that, it was nice to see a character from Wonder Woman's rogues gallery getting some attention for a change.

The Ares being in the plot was forced. If he wasn't in it at all, I'm sure they would have thought of a more sensical way of moving the plot forward in the same direction, by not having some guy randomly show up & said "hey go do this". The plot was very thin, so most of the characters don't have a place in it. I think characters like Killer Frost, Grundy, & Nightwing are only there to add diversity to the roster. Like I said, the game is lazy & poorly done.

Ares was a through away character.

Dapper Spotter

NeonHazardSign
GrayFox7

The Ares being in the plot was forced. If he wasn't in it at all, I'm sure they would have thought of a more sensical way of moving the plot forward in the same direction, by not having some guy randomly show up & said "hey go do this". The plot was very thin, so most of the characters don't have a place in it. I think characters like Killer Frost, Grundy, & Nightwing are only there to add diversity to the roster. Like I said, the game is lazy & poorly done.

If he hadn't been in the game then they probably would have found another way to resolve the conflicts, you are correct. However that doesn't change the fact that he was important to the plot, more so than several other characters that were in the story. Using what tools were available in the game's story as it was written, Ares was needed to help prevent the Regime from winning.

And, as said before, it was nice to see a DC villain other than the more well known characters like Lex Luthor and Joker for once. Most people probably have no idea who Wonder Woman even fights when she's not with the Justice League.

Ares was a great addition to the roster.

On the subject of the plot, I didn't think you'd be around to reply as quickly so I listed my complaints in an edit earlier.

Quote:
As for story mode, I agree it could have been longer. It was only 12 chapters, whereas MK9 and MK vs DC had at least 16 chapters worth of story. My only complaint with the story itself though was that they used the "let's go save the alternate universe" storyline again. I was hoping that Injustice's universe would be self contained and you'd be playing as the Insurgency and Regime fighting for control, not playing as the characters that come from the "good" universe to overthrow Superman. Still enjoyed it though.

Also S.T.A.R Labs should answer the time complaint. There's over 300 missions if I recall correctly, plenty of time to kill and fun to be had.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
GrayFox7
NeonHazardSign
GrayFox7

If he hadn't been in the game then they probably would have found another way to resolve the conflicts, you are correct. However that doesn't change the fact that he was important to the plot, more so than several other characters that were in the story. Using what tools were available in the game's story as it was written, Ares was needed to help prevent the Regime from winning.

And, as said before, it was nice to see a DC villain other than the more well known characters like Lex Luthor and Joker for once. Most people probably have no idea who Wonder Woman even fights when she's not with the Justice League.

Ares was a great addition to the roster.

On the subject of the plot, I didn't think you'd be around to reply as quickly so I listed my complaints in an edit earlier.

Quote:

I agree with on you're big plot complaint. I wanted a huge fight to ring out between the characters, due to some huge disastrous advent, & as you played through it would begin to mend. I thought S.T.A.R. labs was boring. I had a hard time being sucked into the game, & the lab missions are no different. I thought this game would be as good as Mortal Kombat 9, but for me it's stuck in it's shadow.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
I just rented it and haven't played it yet, but I never rent fighting games for storyline... who the hell would? That's like the one genre you DON'T get for story. I'm sure the story is plenty acceptable for a game of the genre.

As for gameplay... it looks like it plays almost identically to Mortal Kombat 9, and that was one of the best fighting games I have ever played by a HUGE margin. As long as it plays as well, and features DC characters... I'm automatically happy... especially since a lot of lesser knowns are getting attention. I mean, Ares and Killer Frost? Ares is one of the absolutely coolest comic villains ever, and Killer Frost is one of my personal favorite DC characters. Neither of them are particularly well known compared to more prominent villains in their comics... like the ridiculously stupid "Cheetah" -_- So glad she didn't make it in.

But hey, a FIGHTING game with a five hour story? You act like that's short, but most fighting game story modes last thirty minutes -maximum-. On top of that, many action games only last five to ten hours these days.

Just seems like you expected way too much for some reason. It's a Mortal Kombat-style DC fighting game made by NetherRealm studios. It's going to be great gameplay, a decently lengthed, somewhat hokey storyline, and a lot of costumes. And that's honestly -exactly- what I wanted. Can't think of what else you'd have hoped for...

Dangerous Fatcat

Haven't played it yet but I did hear the story was an absolute joke. But most fighting games never have a very compelling story anyway. I wanna try it though but still skeptical if its worth buying. I keep getting this feeling I'm gonna get bored of it too quickly.
Is Gaia the only community where people play fighting games purely for the story or what?

I'd imagine threads that complain about fighters to focus on how ridiculously stupid one character is (frustratingly great neutral game, braindead yet amazing oki, huge damage for easy combos, 7-3 or 8-2 MUs against the entire cast, etc.) or the mechanics behind the system, such as exploiting a certain feature to make the game imbalanced or w/e.

Instead, I see complaints about the story of a fanservice game.

Gaia please stop killing my hopes.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Poeden
I just rented it and haven't played it yet, but I never rent fighting games for storyline... who the hell would? That's like the one genre you DON'T get for story. I'm sure the story is plenty acceptable for a game of the genre.

As for gameplay... it looks like it plays almost identically to Mortal Kombat 9, and that was one of the best fighting games I have ever played by a HUGE margin. As long as it plays as well, and features DC characters... I'm automatically happy... especially since a lot of lesser knowns are getting attention. I mean, Ares and Killer Frost? Ares is one of the absolutely coolest comic villains ever, and Killer Frost is one of my personal favorite DC characters. Neither of them are particularly well known compared to more prominent villains in their comics... like the ridiculously stupid "Cheetah" -_- So glad she didn't make it in.

But hey, a FIGHTING game with a five hour story? You act like that's short, but most fighting game story modes last thirty minutes -maximum-. On top of that, many action games only last five to ten hours these days.

Just seems like you expected way too much for some reason. It's a Mortal Kombat-style DC fighting game made by NetherRealm studios. It's going to be great gameplay, a decently lengthed, somewhat hokey storyline, and a lot of costumes. And that's honestly -exactly- what I wanted. Can't think of what else you'd have hoped for...

If more people demanded a good story from their fighting games, the creators would listen or loose their fan base. Keep accepting mediocrity & that's what we'll always get. D.C. is a comic company, & puts out good stories. Netherrealm took over a D.C. project & I aspect better...

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Not Nytemair v4
Is Gaia the only community where people play fighting games purely for the story or what?

I'd imagine threads that complain about fighters to focus on how ridiculously stupid one character is (frustratingly great neutral game, braindead yet amazing oki, huge damage for easy combos, 7-3 or 8-2 MUs against the entire cast, etc.) or the mechanics behind the system, such as exploiting a certain feature to make the game imbalanced or w/e.

Purely for the story? No... I also like the fighting part. I just expect better from something that took 2 years, has a dumb roster, & is branded with D.C.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
NeonHazardSign
Poeden

If more people demanded a good story from their fighting games, the creators would listen or loose their fan base. Keep accepting mediocrity & that's what we'll always get. D.C. is a comic company, & puts out good stories. Netherrealm took over a D.C. project & I aspect better...
I'd rather they focus on making the game enjoyable and ensuring the combat mechanics are well designed, rather than making sure the story is particularly good. At least we got a multi-hour story. This isn't mediocrity because it's above and beyond the standards of -any- fighting game out there other than Mortal Kombat 9, which is made by the same people.

Would you really rather the game play like crap and have a more well written story? Because that's what the comics are for. They can't make everything in the game perfect. Just be glad you got a genuinely great fighter with a story mode of a decent length.

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
Not Nytemair v4

This, this, so much this.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Poeden
NeonHazardSign
Poeden

I'd rather they focus on making the game enjoyable and ensuring the combat mechanics are well designed, rather than making sure the story is particularly good. At least we got a multi-hour story. This isn't mediocrity because it's above and beyond the standards of -any- fighting game out there other than Mortal Kombat 9, which is made by the same people.

Would you really rather the game play like crap and have a more well written story? Because that's what the comics are for. They can't make everything in the game perfect. Just be glad you got a genuinely great fighter with a story mode of a decent length.

No, I wouldn't rather the game played like crap so that we could have a good story... I said why can't we have both is what I'm getting at.?! confused

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
Because story lines in fighting games just don't matter in the long run. All they do is give context to the fights, and in the end that just doesn't matter in a fighting game the way it would in an RPG or a shooter; in a fighting game all plot cut scenes do is intrude on the game. Fighting games are all about the actual combat, and the plot just means pretty much nothing in the long run. Sure, it's nice for embellishment, but it does absolutely nothing for the game, no matter what it's based off of.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
NeonHazardSign
Poeden
NeonHazardSign
Poeden

No, I wouldn't rather the game played like crap so that we could have a good story... I said why can't we have both is what I'm getting at.?! confused
Because two years isn't very long given the sort of content this game has.

I'll admit, I'd have preferred if they put fewer STAR Labs missions and used that time on the story a little more, but only because STAR Labs ended up tedious and annoying. And honestly, I'd rather they use that STAR Labs time to add more on-disc characters instead of anything.

And the story really wasn't that bad, especially given it's a fighting game. It wasn't a -good- story, but it was good enough to be worth sitting through. I'd have preferred to see Ares be the reason behind Superman going crazy, though, taking advantage of his vulnerability after what happened with Metropolis and Lois, then controlling him and turning him into a psycho. Makes more sense than Supes just... turning batshit insane, especially given his ability to turn back time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff