Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
Dang, there was some good stuff written in this thread. And my interest in making a storyline revolving around a fighting game is still here, so...I'M BRINGING THIS THREAD BACK!

New questions to consider:

1. What were some attempts to "innovate" fighting games that failed miserably? (Specific games are nice, but what I'm looking for here are specific gameplay systems [i.e. "Easy Mode" in SFAlpha {if I remember right}, free button in DOA, etc.].)

2. What is the likelihood of fighting games undergoing a "major revolution" as far as how we play the games now in comparison to the future?

3. Does anyone play fighting games seriously for reasons besides the fighting itself?

Now then, I may pop in and out once in a while, since I'm no longer really a regular around here any more. But as always, constructive input is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Sparkly Prophet

ok this from my perspective will help a lot with beginners. I really like fighting games both 2d and 3d but never have been too good at them. this is where my tip comes in.

you should set up a training mode that actually teaches you how to play not just a dummy npc and acces to your command list.

closest ive come along to what im thinking off is in soul calibur 3 and i assume the rest of the series where you get these various training options that teach you the basics and in the end reward you with a weapon once you have done them all.

i would suggest going slightly deeper into that type of system and teach beginners a few basic but cool looking combos in that same sort of training setting.
seems to me like most ppl spam the special attacks because they look cool, teach a few basic cool looking combos along with the basic game mechanics in a training mode and you avoid the spamming of specials in multiplayer. that way you help out ppl like me who like fighting games but just have a hard time getting into them without some more in depth form of training than a dummy and a command list.

imo by offering something along these lines you help the beginners enjoy your game more easily, and convert them from button mashers into players who know what they are doing.

Clean Seeker

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
I'm not sure if I've discussed this yet, so in the off-chance I'm repeating myself, I apologize in advance.

I've yet to see a fighting game where the objective isn't just to knock out the opponent. I realize this is an essential staple in the genre, but for this discussion, I'm trying to think outside the box. Is there potential for a fighting game that leans more towards a simulation-esque style?

To clarify, the WWE Smackdown vs. Raw series is not what I have in mind in regards to simulation.

Just in regard to character movement, I'm thinking Virtua Fighter's ARM (All-Range Movement, basically a LEGITIMATE 8-Way Run) with analog sidestepping (ala Tekken). There would be back and forward dashing and also back and forward running. However, each character would have different movement styles. For example, one character could get away from their opponent really quick with backdashing, while another deliberately walks and dashes very slowly and slightly to lull the opponent into a false sense of security.

That said, too much freedom of movement would sound like a rushdown artist's worst nightmare. Keepaway and turtle experts would dominate in this type of game, right? That's where a stamina system would come in. Turtle-blocking would be highly discouraged, as guard breaks could happen within two or three consistent attacks (maybe more). Running away constantly would also quickly take a toll on the character's ability to attack efficiently (ever try to do stuff when you're out of breath?). Depending on the character, standing around in the default fight pose could also be detrimental, especially if they're just dancing around.

In short, this kind of "fight sim" would rely on character management and footsies (along with specific character strategies) for success. Offense-oriented characters could go for the classic knockout victory, while defense-designated characters could block, evade, parry, and reverse to their heart's content until the clock runs out. Rounds would be timed around the 30-60 second limit in the classic "Best-Of-Three" match format.

Thoughts? I know I most likely sound like I'm rambling, but all constructive input is welcome.

NEXT TIME
Offense v. Offense = FIGHT FOR THE KNOCKOUT.
Offense v. Defense = Knockout versus Survival.

and

Defense v. Defense = "How do we address this anomaly of a matchup?"

Clean Seeker

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
Going off on a tangent from my original next-intended discussion, a question has been on my mind for a while regarding the jump mechanic in 3D fighters such as Tekken and Virtua Fighter. What is the purpose of it?

From what little I've seen, the ability to jump exists in 3D fighters but doesn't provide very many useful options for offense or defense (Project Justice seems to be an exception). In my observation, it doesn't feel nearly as useful as it is in 2D fighters. It can be tricky to execute jumps in games like Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, and Soul Calibur due to the setup of their movement and control systems (one has to hold guard, then press any upper direction). And then, they look nowhere near as nice in 3D games as they do in 2D games. Tekken's jump seems fairly functional (hopkicks for launcher combos), but look just plain ugly in my mind.

Okay, so now that I've gotten my rambling thoughts out of the way, the field is open for discussion. Should 3D fighting games have a better jump mechanic (either in control execution or in appearance)? Could doing so deepen the experience and provide the player with more options and possibilities with their fighter-of-choice? Or would a better jump mechanic be detrimental in a 3D fighter?

Keep it constructively honest, please. I appreciate any and all input on the matter.

Clean Seeker

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
All previous questions addressed here are still open for discussion, but maybe we should start with a simpler one to digest: Will we see anything truly revolutionary of a breakthrough in how we play fighting games in the near future?

Clean Seeker

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
How about that? Katsuhiro Harada, director of the TEKKEN series, had some brief thoughts to share about what he thinks could be the future of fighting games.

The Future of Fighting Games...as thought up by Katsuhiro Harada.

I like how in the comments of this article people reference Virtua Fighter having done this already...back in 1993. Regardless, this is a quick-yet-informative read for those curious.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games