Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revered Inquisitor

Card Statistics and Details - Compiled
Card Averages: Faction, Mana Cost and Type. & Fun Facts
HoC - User Designed Card Contest

I would like to see an incorporation at some point to the main site, wherein if you have a user on ignore, you will not be matched against them in PvP; this includes you being able to see someone in the queue if they are on your block list and vice versa. What I want implemented is that if someone is on your block list, you can't tell if they are in the queue and they can't tell if you are in the queue... this way, match-ups couldn't happen.

If someone is ignored/blocked on the main site, there is generally a good reason for this... being pit against a user you have ignored/blocked on the main site seems a bit wrong to me.

Obviously, this would be something for much farther down the road, as it isn't something of high importance right now... but once the entire site is let in, I think this is something that should be looked into... especially if an in-game chat gets implemented.

Guys, seriously... if there is a thread or a post around here that you don't like... leave it be. Spreading hate and trolling people has no place in this community. Certain people may have been in the wrong, but when you troll or hate on them you get in the wrong too. Don't prolong it or add to it; let it go. If it is blatant trolling, a misplaced thread or anything that violates the ToS, report it and move along. Don't feed the trolls and don't add to the hatred. This is a nice, clean and happy community. Please, don't dirty it.

I am Gavyn the Mighty and I approve of this message.

Newbie Warlord

8,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
I don't think I'd use it, but I definitely support such a feature :O And maybe I would.. idk. xd

Oh wait, you said main site? I thought this was gonna be a facebook game. surprised I'd think it would have it's own ignore list in that case. surprised

Revered Inquisitor

Knight of the Horizon
I don't think I'd use it, but I definitely support such a feature :O And maybe I would.. idk. xd

Oh wait, you said main site? I thought this was gonna be a facebook game. surprised I'd think it would have it's own ignore list in that case. surprised

classified_fu i forgot about the facebook potential. Ha ha.

Yes, it would then need an in-game list... hopefully one that could read off of your gaia list too. I'd only use it in drastic situations... but there are times when it could be handy.

Guys, seriously... if there is a thread or a post around here that you don't like... leave it be. Spreading hate and trolling people has no place in this community. Certain people may have been in the wrong, but when you troll or hate on them you get in the wrong too. Don't prolong it or add to it; let it go. If it is blatant trolling, a misplaced thread or anything that violates the ToS, report it and move along. Don't feed the trolls and don't add to the hatred. This is a nice, clean and happy community. Please, don't dirty it.

Newbie Warlord

8,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon

Yes, it would then need an in-game list... hopefully one that could read off of your gaia list too. I'd only use it in drastic situations... but there are times when it could be handy.

I bet it comes not too long after the in-game chat if they get far. smile

Revered Inquisitor

Knight of the Horizon
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon

I would bet that as well. With chat, comes... well... not so nice conduct, generally... but a chat feature will be quite nice to have.

Newbie Warlord

8,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon

I would bet that as well. With chat, comes... well... not so nice conduct, generally... but a chat feature will be quite nice to have.

Which is while they'll hopefully put an ignore list in the chat and then it won't be that hard to extend it to games as well. emotion_awesome /hopefully

Revered Inquisitor

Knight of the Horizon
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon
Gavyn the Mighty
Knight of the Horizon

Which is while they'll hopefully put an ignore list in the chat and then it won't be that hard to extend it to games as well. emotion_awesome /hopefully

Indeed.

I do think it is something that they should most certainly consider putting in.

Star Pirate

Sorry but I can't agree with this.

I get not wanting to play people on your ignore list, but it'll just be abused to avoid players for other reasons. For example, I already get forfeited on instantly by more than half the people I get matched up against, for what I assume is fear of playing a level 80 player. (I mean, I don't portal rush, no OtG, I don't essence farm people and I never forfeit so that's the only reason I can think of!) People would just start ignoring all the good players and they'd get stuck not being matched against anyone because of it.

When the chat feature is implemented I have no qualms with blocking chat from people, but with the very little amount of games I'm able to get per day, and more than half of those an instant forfeit I just can't bring myself to support something that could make matchmaking even worse for this predicament.

Playing a game versus someone on your ignore list doesn't exactly allow them to harass you either, and heck you can even get some knocks in by kicking their butts.

Assuming they figure out something to fix the problems I'm having with playing people (hopefully it's less of an issue when the game is out of beta and there's more people to match with) this would just allow the same thing to occur, only unknowingly. I just think integrating it with an ignore list controlled by players can be abused to punish players for being good way too easily. Unless you've got some sort of idea to prevent that sort of abuse? Maybe a report feature that you have to provide legitimate reasons (though sometimes it could be personal) and have the devs block players from playing each other on their end? I dunno, I'm open to discussion that can change my viewpoint. razz

Conversationalist

This is a tad inane really, for most of the reasons Billeh's mentioned, along with the fact that if you really do run into undesirable people on PvP Matchups, there's always the Forfeit button if it's that bad. And if that isn't satisfactory enough, I always find Alt+F4 to do the trick. Be it an in-game 'shitlist' or one that reads up from your Gaian 'shitlist', I really don't see this as something necessary enough to be included as a feature.
If a chat feature were implemented and you find your opponent to be a rather sour little person, they could simply include and option to turn it off for the current game.

xBillehx
.. integrating it with an ignore list controlled by players can be abused to punish players for being good way too easily. Unless you've got some sort of idea to prevent that sort of abuse? Maybe a report feature that you have to provide legitimate reasons (though sometimes it could be personal) and have the devs block players from playing each other on their end? I dunno, I'm open to discussion that can change my viewpoint. razz

This idea sounds simply more tasking for the developers or moderators who would have to take care of everything regarding user feedback, bug reports and general game maintenance. That aside, looking into the reports filed, reasons, reviewing, and such from both Gaians and Facebookers sounds something of a hassle when you could simply just.. forfeit if you ran into said undesirable person and not bother with an ignore list altogether.

Don't mind me much, just dropping my two cents by

Revered Inquisitor

xBillehx

Sorry but I can't agree with this.

I get not wanting to play people on your ignore list, but it'll just be abused to avoid players for other reasons. For example, I already get forfeited on instantly by more than half the people I get matched up against, for what I assume is fear of playing a level 80 player. (I mean, I don't portal rush, no OtG, I don't essence farm people and I never forfeit so that's the only reason I can think of!) People would just start ignoring all the good players and they'd get stuck not being matched against anyone because of it.

When the chat feature is implemented I have no qualms with blocking chat from people, but with the very little amount of games I'm able to get per day, and more than half of those an instant forfeit I just can't bring myself to support something that could make matchmaking even worse for this predicament.

Playing a game versus someone on your ignore list doesn't exactly allow them to harass you either, and heck you can even get some knocks in by kicking their butts.

Assuming they figure out something to fix the problems I'm having with playing people (hopefully it's less of an issue when the game is out of beta and there's more people to match with) this would just allow the same thing to occur, only unknowingly. I just think integrating it with an ignore list controlled by players can be abused to punish players for being good way too easily. Unless you've got some sort of idea to prevent that sort of abuse? Maybe a report feature that you have to provide legitimate reasons (though sometimes it could be personal) and have the devs block players from playing each other on their end? I dunno, I'm open to discussion that can change my viewpoint. razz

I have to disagree with your reasoning as to why it would be bad...

This is is not about amount of people there is or would be to play; it is about the reasons behind the ignore and why you don't wish any contact with a player. While I agree you could simply forfeit... you shouldn't have to. these people get ignored for specific reasons, ignoring them makes it so you can't have any contact or see their existence whatsoever.

Being pit against these people could be considered a form of harassment, because you in effect are trying to block them so they can't contact you... yet they get matched up with you... that is contact. Regardless if you can talk to them [via a potential chat] or not. It is the principle of it that I am against. Additionally, the whole 'sticking it to them' that is not a good way of thinking. I have them ignored because I don't want to contact them, so I should show them how much I don't like it by beating them into submission [in a game]. take out the in a game part and listen to how horrible that sounds... it isn't right in real life and shouldn't be right for a game either. Additionally, it would give them the chance to do it to you in return, just enhancing the harassment of them being able to even interact with you in the first place after having them on ignore.

The reason for such a list would be because their antics, be it on the main site or in game, has warranted it. Just because it is a game and there may be less people to play it if ignore lists are in play shouldn't matter.

If you have a problem with doing match-ups... it isn't hard to find people, add them to your friends list and schedule games... even if it is only so far as 'Hey, click the PvP button now, we can match up against each other". Additionally... this game is still in beta. In time they will open the game to the whole site, that will get a lot of players into this game; On top of that they plan to open it to facebook eventually [last I heard]... that would be thousands of more players too. Also, as people get closer and closer to 80 themselves, they are more likely to play against an equal ranked player... so your argument of 'not enough players' to play against you at level 80 is just a part of it being in beta with not a lot of players. That is something that will change. Harassment and wanting to have people ignored isn't something that will change.

If people want to 'abuse' it to not play against players who are 'too good', that would be their own decision... they also likely wouldn't have adequate competition to improve their own game and also would not become good themselves. but you also have to think... if people would abuse an ignore list to not play against 'good players', doesn't the same hold true for forfeiting? yes, it does. You have said so yourself. Thinking about it this way shows that it is likely that those who don't want to face 'good players' will either use the forfeit button or an ignore list so they don't have to play those players. however, if they use an ignore list... there would likely be a time where they remove the players and play them again when they are a strong level... or simply just not forfeit versus them anymore... When it comes to an ignore list though, the difference in having one is that it can prevent the harassment and bad feelings about having to even see that you are pitted against someone whom you have ignored; someone you wish no contact with.

Having to play someone you've ignored is a slap in a face; it makes it seem as if there is no point to blocking them because they can still contact you in a manner [regardless if they can communicate]... it just isn't right.

What you fear is that more people will block you because you are simply a higher level... while that may happen, it won't be any different than them simply forfeiting against you. There is a difference in having to see someone you've ignored and potentially having to play them [if only to hit forfeit]...where as having an in game ignore list, contact wouldn't have to take place... which contact shouldn't take place. An ignore list wouldn't make matchmaking even more cumbersome... it would actually save you the hassle of being put against someone, only to have them consistently forfeit... then get matched up with them 2 minutes later, etc. the match-ups wouldn't happen and you would actually be open for matches against people who would actually played. So, I truthfully feel your reasoning is flawed on this, no offense.

There is a reason that the site has an ignore list; I feel it should be included in the game either by extension from the main site, or as a separate list. If you disagree with the reasons that either the site or the game does or would have such a list, so be it... I don't think there is a valid argument against the reasoning why such a thing exists though. Simply stating you don't like the idea simply due to amount of players that want to play against you is not a good enough reason for such a thing to not exist. It would be akin to saying that to many people have you blocked on the main site, thus you have no one to talk to. Well... that may suck, but it is their right to have you blocked if they wish... just as it is yours to block them... etc.

Again, there are reasons for people to be ignored, those people still being able to contact you in any manner [even a game] is just wrong.

Just my views on it, anyways.

Star Pirate

I do agree my problem will alleviate itself as more people play, as the game gets sent into release. In that same vein though, when there are so many people playing after release, the odds of even being matched against someone on your ignore list would be extremely low. In those extremely low chances, I don't think choosing to forfeit would by any means be considered a hassle.

I also don't agree with your allusion to physical harm as beating them. It's a game, if it's someone you ignored cause they were being an a*****e, it's not wrong to take pleasure in winning. If it's someone you're ignoring cause you're avoiding, then just forfeit. You don't get to prevent people you have restraining orders against from showing up at public places (lets say a Convention or even a TCG Tournament) just because there's a possibility you see each other and have bad feelings either.

I'd have nothing against this if there were a way to prevent the kind of abuse I'm talking about, but I don't know how that can be done. (Again, I'm all ears) PvP is a competitive feature of the game and being able to block out all the good players so you don't lose kind of defeats the purpose of PvP being competitive. Despite your suggestion not being intended to be used that way, if it's possible to abuse it people most certainly will. (As they already do with forfeiting. Hopefully that gets fixed though.)

How about the ability to remove your name and avatar from showing up in the game? They'll never know its you, and in those situations where you do meet in a matchup, you can just forfeit without them knowing a thing. With the future plans to connect it to Facebook, hiding your identity is probably a pretty good idea anyway. Heck, add in hiding levels too and it also solves my problem.

The mention of Facebook actually made me think. Say your idea was implemented and Gaia's ignore list transfered over to HoC. It wouldn't really block said person from running into you if they were playing from Facebook. So the ignore list would have to be specifically for the game, and include the ability to block out certain Facebook profiles too. Should probably include that in your OP. razz

Revered Inquisitor

xBillehx

I do agree my problem will alleviate itself as more people play, as the game gets sent into release. In that same vein though, when there are so many people playing after release, the odds of even being matched against someone on your ignore list would be extremely low. In those extremely low chances, I don't think choosing to forfeit would by any means be considered a hassle.

I also don't agree with your allusion to physical harm as beating them. It's a game, if it's someone you ignored cause they were being an a*****e, it's not wrong to take pleasure in winning. If it's someone you're ignoring cause you're avoiding, then just forfeit. You don't get to prevent people you have restraining orders against from showing up at public places (lets say a Convention or even a TCG Tournament) just because there's a possibility you see each other and have bad feelings either.

I'd have nothing against this if there were a way to prevent the kind of abuse I'm talking about, but I don't know how that can be done. (Again, I'm all ears) PvP is a competitive feature of the game and being able to block out all the good players so you don't lose kind of defeats the purpose of PvP being competitive. Despite your suggestion not being intended to be used that way, if it's possible to abuse it people most certainly will. (As they already do with forfeiting. Hopefully that gets fixed though.)

How about the ability to remove your name and avatar from showing up in the game? They'll never know its you, and in those situations where you do meet in a matchup, you can just forfeit without them knowing a thing. With the future plans to connect it to Facebook, hiding your identity is probably a pretty good idea anyway. Heck, add in hiding levels too and it also solves my problem.

The mention of Facebook actually made me think. Say your idea was implemented and Gaia's ignore list transfered over to HoC. It wouldn't really block said person from running into you if they were playing from Facebook. So the ignore list would have to be specifically for the game, and include the ability to block out certain Facebook profiles too. Should probably include that in your OP. razz

With regards to the part in the spoiler [since I read that first]; yes, it likely would have to be game specific; at the same time, if someone was playing through facebook, using their name... it is highly likely you wouldn't even know it was them... so while it would be a harassment, you wouldn't know it.

I think the part you are missing with the 'hassle' is that the ignore list on site is meant to completely block contact. Even if you were matched up and had to forfeit, that is still a form of contact. having to go through and forfeit or block the chat, etc shouldn't have to occur, in my opinion, because they should already be blocked from contact.

My allusion was just that, a reference to something else. Would the real life abuse be far worse, yes... but they are very comparable in the mannerisms behind them and the desire to avoid said individuals. No, you cannot prevent people with restraining orders from showing up at such events; however, unless they can prove without a doubt that it was a complete coincidence and not intentional stalking, they get arrested. While in game clicking and getting matched IS just that coincidence, I can see where you are coming from that part... though, at the same time, you have also said that they are different cases in the level of needing to avoid [real life more so than a computer game]... thus, going on that, you could say that... to bad about coincidences... they shouldn't be allowed either. You could simply prevent them from happening, when in real life you cannot assure that coincidental meetings would not take place [outside of an arrest].

I think the kinds of abuse that you are talking about, preventing playing a game with someone just because you don't want to, would not occur far as often as you fear; while, even if it does, I feel it would be a 'worthy' price to pay in order to keep contact from happening with individuals whom you don't want it to occur. Again, that also harkins back to the fact that with time, there will be many, many more people playing... so the match-up problem wouldn't be much of an issue. [and if it was... I think that would be more of a problem than simply being to good... because there would be numerous high level players at that point].

Hiding name and level... while it does sound like a good idea... I don't know how well it will fly. It would fix things, but not being able to identify people for match-ups, etc... I think would be counter-productive to the game; whereas I feel an ignore list would not be counter-productive [and if it was, I don't feel it would be to near the extent you feel it would].

Overall, in the connection to Ffacebook, to make it cross-over... i wouldn't doubt if they require you to connect it to gaia, and make a gaia account [even if you don't go on gaia after that], while still being able to play through facebook. They have to have some way to keep everyone on the same level and be able to play against each other.... unless they plan on having two separate communities. They've also said they do not plan on taking away anything that we earn here in beta. So they will have to figure something out... and with the recent facebook connect issues gaia was having with the facebook rules change... I am not really sure how things will go down.

Overall, I think we just have a bit of differing opinions; I don't feel that your worries about this would be nearly as bad as you think they will be... while I also think that my worries would be worth implementing this sort of feature. Keep in mind too that I feel this is something that should be entered in after beta, when they have a bit more time. It could 'easily' be worked upon on the side while they work on new content to add.

Star Pirate

The thing is I don't think your worries are really that big of a deal either. I can specifically use other online video games to better the comparison too.

Take Starcraft 2 for example. It's a competitive RTS with automated matchmaking for 1v1 (2v2, etc) PvP in a pretty similar style to HoC. (It's why I love HoC so much tbh!) You can ignore, block and report people for harassment all you want, but you can still get matched against those people in the automatic competitive matchmaking. Yet, people deal with it just fine. They play the game, (or quit) win or lose, and move on to the next match. The same for Warcraft 3, Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter Strike etc etc. All of these games with competitive matchmaking do just fine with, and lets be real here, hundreds and thousands of bad eggs who act way worse there than any one person is ever allowed to here on Gaia. Don't even get me started on competitive console games like Call of Duty either.

The most any of these competitive games have is a mute/ignore/block/report feature, none of which prevent match-ups to better ones feelings. What makes this community, and HoC specifically, any different to warrant risking abuse of a feature that, intentional or not detracts from the sole purpose of a competitive PvP matchmaking system?

In my opinion I think you're overstating how much of a deal it is/would be to, on the off chance that the god of luck hates you, be matched up in a competitive PvP game with someone you don't like. It'd be a little too silly for something like that to really ruin someone's experience with the game.

Revered Inquisitor

Fair enough.

I just feel it is something that should be included. I don't think it an abuse of the system would take place like you seem to think would happen. It may be silly, but again, as i have said... there are reasons for having someone blocked to prevent contact. Being matched up against those people in a game, on the same site that they are blocked in, seems as if it is a slap in the face. it makes it seem as if there was no point in blocking them in the first place.

I think it would be rather obvious if people abuse the system in the manner you are thinking it would be done. Again, I think the whole 'abuse' of such a system would be far less than it's benefits. Prevent contact with people whom you've already stated contact with via ignoring them, to me, is more important than if someone wants to block another person because they are too good. I feel the scenario that I worry about would far outweigh the one you worry about.

Again, if someone doesn't want to play you they can forfeit under current system or they can ignore you. Regardless of the manner it occurs, they still won't be playing against you. Whether it is forfeiting or an ignore list... I don't feel there is much of a difference in the aspects you are worrying about. With what I am worrying about, there is a difference. having to forfeit against someone you've already ignored shouldn't happen, because you shouldn't have the ability to be matched against them... regardless of how random or how 'lucky' that match up may have been. The ignore list would prevent this, and I feel it is something that should be prevented. With what you worry about, whether there is an ignore list or not, still will happen. If you are so good that people would ignore you based on your name, you would get insta-forfeits if an ignore list wasn't put in.

Basically, in sort. I don't think an addition of an ignore list would change or have any effect on the amounts of people there are or are not available to play against you.. because it will either exist in forfeits or being ignored... the same amount of occurrences would happen. With ignoring people you don't want contact with... forfeiting doesn't help, because it still shows contact is possible.

Again, just my opinion and my takes on these things.

I can completely understand where you are coming from and your worries about it. I just don't think what you are worried about would change that drastically between the two systems, where what I am worried about will change depending on the system used.

Omnipresent Cultist

11,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Brandisher 100
I'd almost prefer they just strip the other player's identities off when you play random PvP.

And yeah. When they put in chat *shakes head*... I'd just preemptively block every single name I came across.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff