Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revered Inquisitor

In a similar manner to ‘CrosStitch’, I see a user designed card contest as being something that would get the community involved in a good way.

What users could control in the design:
Initial Base art
Initial Name
Initial Faction
Initial Stats
Initial Abilities
Short 'back story' on unit (~100 words)

What users could not control:
Stats
Abilities
Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

Meaning the devs would still have creative control on the submission, but winners would actually be used for the game eventually. They would be able to edit the art to make it work, change the name if need be and make sure it is in the proper faction, colored properly, etc. They would also control the stats, level, etc so as not to get ridiculously powered cards.

The back story would allow the artist to give hints toward what type of unit they foresaw their design being; by giving more depth to it than just the name alone. i.e. "A brave warrior who valiantly defended the kingdom. His servitude has brought upon him great honor"; A bit higher HP and potentially having armor is what this unit would likely have... etc. It would clue in the artists to how you are thinking, without you directly biasing the unit and making it drastically overpowered. Keeping in mind your initial stats and abilities are likely to be changed if they are OP.

Art would obviously have to be someone’s own, meaning a template would need to be in place, etc. Most of the rules from CrosStitch would apply.

I am just briefly writing this up to get the idea out there. I will be editing it, expanding upon it and making it a more robust suggestion at a later date when I have more time to do so.

Enduring Shapeshifter

Oh man I totally support, cause I have a few OCs that could actually fit in as Heralds/Heroes in this game.

But it's a little soon for this.

Revered Inquisitor

Pyres
Oh man I totally support, cause I have a few OCs that could actually fit in as Heralds/Heroes in this game.

But it's a little soon for this.

Oh yes. Far too soon, in the regard that it is still in beta. This is just a feature request for something I'd like to see in the future (as everything here is).

Eventually, this would be something that I think would be nice, so I wanted the idea out here to keep them thinking. smile

Dedicated Soldier

7,075 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • 50 Wins 150
I think its a splendid idea! Personally I was thinking of the same exact thing earlier...and promptly forgot it sweatdrop

Conversationalist

Sounds like a really good idea~

Vicious Millionaire

7,850 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
I love this idea, and hop this forum gets noticed and they put thought into doing this

Magic Pyromaniac

21,275 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
me like biggrin
could the users sugest stats/ abilities and how they would like their card to work?
some people can be very balanced...and some under do things... some over do things.....
the devs would have final say, always. but ideas help them work... (i think)...so...

Initial Base art
Initial Name
Initial Faction
Initial Stats
Initial Abilities
Initial level/Rarity

Final Stats
Final Abilities
Final Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

i would like to design some cards, but just the art work is not a card, i like to design full card (art work + stats) and let the devs "edit" things as they see need to....
hard to just come up with stats for random drawings, so i think letting the users give initial stats would help the devs very much.

Revered Inquisitor

me know it all
me like biggrin
could the users sugest stats/ abilities and how they would like their card to work?
some people can be very balanced...and some under do things... some over do things.....
the devs would have final say, always. but ideas help them work... (i think)...so...

Initial Base art
Initial Name
Initial Faction
Initial Stats
Initial Abilities
Initial level/Rarity

Final Stats
Final Abilities
Final Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

i would like to design some cards, but just the art work is not a card, i like to design full card (art work + stats) and let the devs "edit" things as they see need to....
hard to just come up with stats for random drawings, so i think letting the users give initial stats would help the devs very much.

While I considered that, I foresee far to many suggesting overpowering and ridiculous stats and attributes; that is why I suggested leaving that at the discretion of the devs. In general, the look and name of a unit would give a hint at what sort of stats/ability they would have. It is usually evident if it is a more defensive type, speed, offense, mage... etc. The visual and name of it would give enough clues to the stats from the users perspective, I think, without causing absurdities.

That said, an additional 100 character description to accompany the art would not be out of the question. This wouldn't be for listing stats or anything like that; but, more for a short 'back story' on the unit that could hint at how the artist hopes their art is included. Ex: I draw a simple stealth ninja. his back story describes briefly of how he is an infiltrator with speed. Going by the stealth, infiltrator, ninja, etc... it is obvious [to me at least] that he would have relatively high speed, and would be a scout. While his other stats would be lower. I think it would be fairly obvious for the devs to see what the artists were getting at with their units, while keeping the potential for artist describe ability and stats from biasing anything in the process. Again, JMO.

While I agree that solely the artwork does not make the card, allowing to much 'freedom' in the design of stats/rarity/etc would just lead to mainly overpowered and ridiculous cards being entered, and thus making this whole concept nothing worth implementing. So a potential short back story to shed light on what the artist was thinking, while not allowing specifics to be decided by the artist, I feel would be the best way to go.

Magic Pyromaniac

21,275 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
me know it all
me like biggrin

Initial Base art
Initial Name
Initial Faction
Initial Stats
Initial Abilities
Initial level/Rarity

Final Stats
Final Abilities
Final Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

While I considered that, I foresee far to many suggesting overpowering and ridiculous stats and attributes; that is why I suggested leaving that at the discretion of the devs. In general, the look and name of a unit would give a hint at what sort of stats/ability they would have. It is usually evident if it is a more defensive type, speed, offense, mage... etc. The visual and name of it would give enough clues to the stats from the users perspective, I think, without causing absurdities.

That said, an additional 100 character description to accompany the art would not be out of the question. This wouldn't be for listing stats or anything like that; but, more for a short 'back story' on the unit that could hint at how the artist hopes their art is included. Ex: I draw a simple stealth ninja. his back story describes briefly of how he is an infiltrator with speed. Going by the stealth, infiltrator, ninja, etc... it is obvious [to me at least] that he would have relatively high speed, and would be a scout. While his other stats would be lower. I think it would be fairly obvious for the devs to see what the artists were getting at with their units, while keeping the potential for artist describe ability and stats from biasing anything in the process. Again, JMO.

While I agree that solely the artwork does not make the card, allowing to much 'freedom' in the design of stats/rarity/etc would just lead to mainly overpowered and ridiculous cards being entered, and thus making this whole concept nothing worth implementing. So a potential short back story to shed light on what the artist was thinking, while not allowing specifics to be decided by the artist, I feel would be the best way to go.

i don't the the overpowring would be too much.....
and even it it was, the devs have final say, they can balance out the stats.....

OR just disqualife the OP cards and not make them....... razz

this will have many trying to balance their card from start.
i don't think the "must make OP card" will be that bad.....let them make(state) what they like the stats to be, and their will be some who OP, but not all of them, it look like you think every one will OP their card design.... some will under do it, some will be balanced well...
a back story/explantion of why they set the stats where they did will help to...

i feel letting the artist suggest (not decide) the specifics would be OK.

Buggy Punk

This sounds like it would be pretty fun eventually. Releasing the card's stats/abilities/etc. in advance and letting that be the basis of the designs submitted is how I can see it working out. Maybe some guidelines like "we'd like this card to be a humanoid/creature/male/female" would be good.

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
This is a really neat idea!

In a similar manner to ‘CrosStitch’, I see a user designed card contest as being something that would get the community involved in a good way.

Initial Base art
Initial Name
Initial Faction
Short 'back story' on unit (~100 words)
Stats
Abilities
Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

Meaning the devs would still have creative control on the submission, but winners would actually be used for the game eventually. They would be able to edit the art to make it work, change the name if need be and make sure it is in the proper faction, colored properly, etc. They would also control the stats, level, etc so as not to get ridiculously powered cards.

The back story would allow the artist to give hints toward what type of unit they foresaw their design being; by giving more depth to it than just the name alone. i.e. "A brave warrior who valiantly defended the kingdom. His servitude has brought upon him great honor"; A bit higher HP and potentially having armor is what this unit would likely have... etc. It would clue in the artists to how you are thinking, without you directly biasing the unit and making it drastically overpowered.

Art would obviously have to be someone’s own, meaning a template would need to be in place, etc. Most of the rules from CrosStitch would apply.

I am just briefly writing this up to get the idea out there. I will be editing it, expanding upon it and making it a more robust suggestion at a later date when I have more time to do so.

Revered Inquisitor

Panagrammic
This is a really neat idea!

Thanks! It needs a bit of work still though.

Glad you like it!

Benevolent Codger

Stats
Abilities
Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

So... Basically everything about the card, yes? xp

To be clear, what you're proposing is more a character design contest than a card design contest - participants would have minimal input on the actual card, and would only be designing the character that the card depicts. I feel the need to specify because the distinction causes me to lose most of my interest in such a competition. razz

I'd personally like to see physical stats/specials/etc. included, with the same caveat that they are subject to change in the development process. That way players who have interesting designs for mechanics or statistics could actually contribute those, and users would be able to make mechanical changes that reinforce the identity of the character in a resonant way. Since this would make the stats part of the design as a whole, players who include overpowered or unrealistic effects on their designs are simply hurting their own scores, and none of those overpowered abilities will be able to make it through the development process intact. That being the case, I'd probably include 'Best character' and 'Best mechanic' categories apart from the overall contest. For that matter, I'd probably consider adding a 'Best spell' category, as well, just for a little extra something... sweatdrop

Revered Inquisitor

Red Kutai
Stats
Abilities
Level/Rarity
Final Art
Final Name
Final Faction

So... Basically everything about the card, yes? xp

To be clear, what you're proposing is more a character design contest than a card design contest - participants would have minimal input on the actual card, and would only be designing the character that the card depicts. I feel the need to specify because the distinction causes me to lose most of my interest in such a competition. razz

I'd personally like to see physical stats/specials/etc. included, with the same caveat that they are subject to change in the development process. That way players who have interesting designs for mechanics or statistics could actually contribute those, and users would be able to make mechanical changes that reinforce the identity of the character in a resonant way. Since this would make the stats part of the design as a whole, players who include overpowered or unrealistic effects on their designs are simply hurting their own scores, and none of those overpowered abilities will be able to make it through the development process intact. That being the case, I'd probably include 'Best character' and 'Best mechanic' categories apart from the overall contest. For that matter, I'd probably consider adding a 'Best spell' category, as well, just for a little extra something... sweatdrop

Ha ha, that is why I said I am open to change on it. It is tough to just give the artist free range on the card stats, because it is in human nature to what the best, so it is inevitable that people would make their designs powerful... which I want to avoid.

As you have said and a couple others, the likely best way to go would be to give the artists initial control over the stats, abilities, specials, etc... then have them be subject to change. it is just tough because I know how easy it would be to make them overpowering. Maybe allow for user defined stats, with them subject to change if the dev wants to, but have a stipulation as to where if something is blatantly overpowering in all facets that it wouldn't be chosen, regardless on how good the concept is... or something like that. A preventative measure for possible overpowering, while still allowing a mainly free range on it. Just thinking on the fly here in tandem with what you said.

Thank you for the input on it. I will likely be amending the first page next weekend [Once finals week is over for me] and will be adding in some of your suggestions [and some from the other posters as well].

Benevolent Codger

it is inevitable that people would make their designs powerful... which I want to avoid.

I'm not sure this is really a huge concern - there are already powerful cards in the game, and so long as the developers don't simply add submissions without inspecting them at all, there shouldn't be much concern about overpowered designs negatively impacting the game. Yes, most designs are likely going to be pushing it in terms of power, if for no other reason than because they need to be exciting to win a contest - run-of-the-mill cards won't (and shouldn't) win a contest like this, so you can't really expect that to be what players create.

Similarly, most cards are going to be designed for the 5-star rarity slot; again, primarily because they need to be exciting. I'd be willing to consider the prospect of including categories based on rarity, but the only real difference in rarity seems to be power level - the added restriction of trying to make a 1-star Unit could be interesting, but the Unit itself would necessarily be rather unexciting. Instead, I might consider something like Hero and non-Hero categories; Heros tend to dominate in higher rarity tiers (3-5) anyway, so non-Hero entries could be specifically focused toward lower tiers (1-3). That seems like it would work a bit better, anyhow... sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff