Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is makeup and it's seasonal, and tutorials are allowed here smile So I thought I'd post a few step by steps from the guild as a little Hallowe'en treat for you guys!!

1. Bruises
2. Stitches
3. Latex Zombie
4. Mixed Medium Zombie

I'm not claiming that they're great, but they'll help you get the basics down in an extremely cheap, efficient way!

(awww! thanks for all the support guys! You can check out my Flickr for some nastier F/X inspiration)

BRUISES!

"Bruises are a result of excessive impact on the body which breaks the walls of the blood vessles, this releasing the blood under the skin's surface."

In gore, you'll find yourself using bruises a lot... even when you do a cut or a gunshot wound, there's always trauma to the skin around it!

How a bruise ages

Fresh Bruise: red
1o-12 hours: purple
24 hours: blue
36 hours: green
48 hours: yellow
3days- 1week: brown

This is pretty basic, there's just a few few points to remember:

*Only use 2, maybe three colours at once (ie: red, purple, maybe blue OR green, yellow, maybe brown)
*the older colour would occur at the outter edge as this is where the healing progresses sooner.
*Don't blend too much. A lacey/uneven look is more realistic.
*It ALWAYS help to have a reference picture, so find pics of bruises online to look at.
*When using bruising for swelling, add some light felsh colours as the highlight to emphasize the raising.
*When doing black eyes, you can use some actual black (usually strongest in the inner corner of the eye), though you may want to mix it with a bit of blue or purple to tone it down a tad.

How To Do It

I'm not enjoying the lighting in here one bit sad Sorry, it's orangey lighting + the flash on my camera=no good sad

But you get the overall idea at least... I'll try to do some more in the daytime!

MATERIALS
Normally I'd use skin illustrator (an alcohol based paint that tends to fade into the skin and look a bit more realistic), but since I'm sure most of you will be using creams-- and cause when Bryan did my zombie makeup the other day he accidently packed up my alcohol and took it with him-- I'm breaking out my creams to try this today!

User Image
So we've got two bruise wheels here, BN CK-1 Bruises and BN CK-3 Cuts & Bruises. There's my translucent powder, a miller powder puff, my spatula, pallette, and bits of latex sponges.
Notice the little teensy balls pulled out next to the sponges? What you want is an uneven surface on your sponge, so never just use a smooth edge. Break your wedge into pieces, then pull out teensy bits to get a very textured surface to paint with.

User Image
You never want to dip your sponge right into the makeup, (it's just not sanitary!) So scoop out a tiny bit of each colour you're using (red, purple, blue here).

User Image
Stipple (gently pat and lift, don't rub it on) on a light layer of your red in an uneven pattern.

User Image
Add your next colour, in this case purple, but don't overwhelm the first colour.

User Image
For this one, I added a bit of the blue for depth, stippling it within the purple.

User Image
Now powder it to set the makeup and sink the colour into the skin a bit more. Press the powder in with a powderpuff, don't rub!!

Gargh... flash killing contrats... its actually blended really nicely! crying
How To Do Latex Stitching

First of all, you want to have your liquid latex and powder already poured and ready to go. So choose where you want your stitches to be, and start laying down the latex. (stipple with a latex sponge) You want the strip fairy wide because you still need latex acting as somewhat of an anchor on either side of where you will tear.
User Image

Wait until it dries (goes clear) and powder. Powdering is very important, because when wet latex touches dry latex, it will pull it up. So you'll want to work quickly and carefully.
User Image

Repeat steps, layering the latex. You'll want about 4 thin layers.

If the latex isn't completely flush with skin, paint it flesh colour, then add some redness over the whole thing.
User Image

Now the toughest part. With a pair of tweezers, pinch the latex until you pull up a little piece. This may take you a few tries, especially depending where on the body you've put the latex.
User Image

Now keep that piece pinched up, and snip it with the scissors so you have a tiny hole.
User Image

Now put the tip of your scissors into the hole, and cut a line along where you want your wound. (small manicure scissors are usually best for this)
User Image

Now you should have a hole something like this:
User Image

Next, painting the wound itself. Start with a red base.
User Image

Now the deeper you want the wound to look, the darker and the more texture you'll want to add. Mine isn't going to be too deep, so I'll just add a tiny bit of dark red and black to it.
User Image

Next, a thin layer of stage blood.
User Image

Now its time to actually sew! Thread your needle (don't double up the thread), and push it through the latex.
User Image

You'll find that it may not want to pierce very easily. Rather than force it through, stretching the latex, put your fingers on either side of the part of the latex it is trying to pierce through, just to reinforce it. This way, you won't accidently end up pulling all the latex up! But when you try it for yourself, you'll quickly figure out what works best for you.

Now, needle is through, pull the thread through, and tie it in a little knot. Cut the thread being sure to leave two little pieces sticking out, and keep on going!
User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Once you're done stitching, decide if you like how it is, or if there's anything you'd like to add. I wanted mine a little bloodier, so I went back and dabbed a bit of stage blood around the stitches.

User Image

User Image

VOILA a stitched ankle!

NOW YOUR CHALLENGE IS TO TRY THIS YOURSELF!!!
Post your pics and let's see how it turns out... good luck!
A quick zombie makeup my friend (Bryan Burles) did on me. He was nice enough to take step by step photos as he went... I was going to do one on him after, but we ran out of time sad so this will have to do until next time!

So first thing's first: clean the skin with 70% alcohol. Now for this we used latex, so put a finger on either side of the area you are going to put the latex on. Here it was the side of the face, so we stretch the skin up and down to get horizontal wrinkles when we release. Dab a thin layer of liquid latex on with a latex sponge, and let it dry. (You'll know because it will go from white to clear. You can speed up this process with a blow dryer set to cool, or just fanning it with something) Before you let go, powder the latex, then release. Do another layer like this.
User Image

Now you take a pair of tweezers and gently pull up wherever you want their to be a lesion. Once you have a piece up, snip it with a pair of scissors and make a little incision. Stretch these holes to whatever size you want.
User Image

To paint, we use skin illustrator, an alcohol based paint. But you can do this with any medium, even cheap dollar store creams-- just use sheer layers! (try latex sponges and brushes to see what you like best... when using a latex sponge, ri[ it in half, then rip out tiny little balls from the uneven surface. now you've got this great uneven sponge that will distribute the colour a little more unevnely, giving it a more realistic effect)
So first you lay your red base down.
User Image

Then start marbling in deeper colours, purples and dark reds.
User Image

Next, some dark cirlces under and around the eye.
User Image

Next, the lesions: these are painted with fresh stage blood with a little bit of thick blood smeared around inside for some more texture. You can also cut up tiny pieces of paper towel or kleenex or even a corner of a latex sponde, dip it in blood, then tuck it under the edges of some of the lesions to give a raised appearance.
User Image

and oh... hey look! he's done!
User Image

No, wait, he's not satisfied smile He goes back over the colour with a light foundation layer and translucent powder to lighten it all up.
User Image

Completion!
User Image
User Image
User Image

Meet Kimmy smile She's agreed to help us learn some new makeup today smile

So here's a quick step by step... I've used 3 slightly different methods of wounds here, just to make it a little more interesting.

First starts with gelatine. You mix one pack of Knox with 3 tablespoons of boiling water and 1 tablespoon of glycerine. Super cheap and easy.

So I smooth it on in a rough patch, raised around the edges (with the insides a little more ragged and outside taper down and blend into the skin)
User Image

Once its done and dry, I stipple a layer of liquid latex in the middle, lay down strips of one-ply tissue messily (hte messier it is, the more texture you'll have) and apply another layer of liquid latex over that. Once dry, it's powdered.
User Image

Now the base is done, I go onto the other side. With this one, no gelatine depth, just the layer of latex, then torn tissue, then more latex.
User Image

Now the painting begins!
User Image

I used rubber mask grease paint and a thin nylon brush. I started with brown, just doing squiggles in the deeper parts of the folds in the tissue. Next some purple in the more shallow crevices, and then some red. Then with a torn latex sponge, I stippled on some red all over.
User Image

Back to the other side to do the same thing.
User Image

At this point I decide Kimmy needs more injuries, so this one is just gelatine.Again, lay it on in thin laters, blend the outside edges out, and the inside edges should be raised and ragged for a gorier effect.
User Image

Paint that one up, and stipple some red across the wound.
User Image

OK, now the rest of your face. (The flash is really exaggerating some colours here and I don't know how to use paintshop to fix that, so sorry razz ) I airbrushed this, but you can paint it with brushes just as well. So first, a splotchy pale yellow base.
User Image

Then I marble some red throughout it.
User Image

Now some deeper shades, grey, then blue, then purple.
User Image User Image User Image

And finally the blood. I used Ben Nye Thick Blood First.. it doesn't bead, and its thickness gives great added texture.
User Image User Image

Now some fresh stage blood (mmm! peppermint!) into the wounds and about the face, and some grey shadow around the eyes.
User Image

And Voila!
User Image

We have a zombified Kimmy!! (ready to rock the fake blood, man!)
User Image
User Image
That's incredible! Thank you for sharing! biggrin

WOW o__o
I'm totally subscribing, thank you!

lol
i didnt think to take step by steps of this one, but its gelatine and latex as well.
User Image
Goddamn, that's amazing. <3
Wow!
thats amazing!
I'm subscribing and I'm doing this on halloween!
thanks for that cause I didnt know what I wanted to be
but now I'm going to be a zombie and for halloween usingyour steps
lol.
F a k eM e hL o v e
Wow!
thats amazing!
lol.

AWWW!!! You're sweet!
I was hoping these would come in handy for someone.
I'm having a girl from gaia over tomorrow actually to teach her some firsthand. We'll post pics razz
ChaniKitty
F a k eM e hL o v e
Wow!
thats amazing!
lol.

AWWW!!! You're sweet!
I was hoping these would come in handy for someone.
I'm having a girl from gaia over tomorrow actually to teach her some firsthand. We'll post pics razz
Ok!
but do you know how long this took?

Beloved Gawker

Awesome! 4laugh Thank you! I'm not going to be a zombie/gore victim this year, but I've got some friends who'd like to be, and I've volunteered to help them. This'll be a great help! 4laugh
You seriously ******** own. Props and kudos and all that good s**t.
DISTGUSTINGLY.REAL.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces