Invisible Gaian

9,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
I wrote this a while back and gave up half-way, I posted it on a Sonic the Hedgehog messageboard I frequent, given the right feedback I may be inspired to finish the story, at the moment there are 6 chapters, I'll post the intro and 1st chapter in this post and will add more if people ask for it smile

"THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!" screamed Eggman as he watched, powerlessly as Super Sonic rampaged through every bit of machinary in The Death Egg. All of his most powerful inventions were one, by one, being destroyed by the hedgehog's rage.

Suddenly the great scientist's mind was brought back to his prototype weapon, how could he have forgotten him? Without thinking nor paying mind to the ongoing destruction of his lifes work the evil doctor ran through the halls into the main laboratory. Frantically he worked at a console, trying to activate his ultimate weapon. All seemed lost as the explosions ran through the entire space-station and though the doctor worked fast, apparently he was not as fast as his adversary. The fires spread, the explosions continued and soon the laboratory and everything held within it were consumed by the flames.

Pressing his Sonic speed to the limit, Sonic raced onwards out of the docking bay and made a mad and desperate dive for the saftey of the planet below him. The day was saved, the Death Egg destroyed, the 7 Chaos Emeralds safe again. His job was complete.

As if his relief was a trigger, the magic of the emeralds withdrew and changed Sonic from his Super form back into his cool blue self. Taking away his extra powers, and his ability to fly.

Well... I guess this is it. No use being the fastest thing alive if there's no land to speed on. he closed his eyes at least I took down Eggman. At least my friends are safe. Maybe they'll find my body and hold a national holiday on my behalf, "Sonic, our saviour, he died to save us from Eggman"

He opened his eyes to watch the ocean and say goodbye to the world which he loved so dearly....

-

The sun was setting on Westside Island. Families were packing up their stuff from a long day of relaxation on the beach as lovers hugged and witnessed the beauty of nature. The world was in a joyful mood, the blast in the sky that symbolised the end of Eggman was enjoyed worldwide and though no one had heard word from their hero, Sonic, no one doubted he had survived and was probably enjoying his rewards or perhaps parades in his honour. Every person had a different imagination and saw the events in a different way. The true account, that Sonic was saved by his sidekick Tails was quickly dismissed as rumour. People refused to believe that a hero would need saving, legends often dominated facts and legends were always of a flawless hero.

Among those at the beach sat a young, pink hedgehog. She looked across at all the lovers starring at the sunset in unison feeling so close and bonded, 'I wish I had that' she sighed, as she continued to look out at the ocean alone 'I wonder if that Sonic guy from South Island made it back ok... he was so kind to help us all when that nasty Doctor Eggman attacked. If he died on our behalf I don't think I could ever forgive the people here for not helping' she sighed again and looked back at the dreaming lovers 'They don't seem to care though. Why would they? Small people who live small lives never worry about the things that are important' She stood up and swooned, clasping her hands together 'Oh Mr. Sonic! I'll follow you forever more in adventure and into danger so you know that you're not alone!'

She gave a shocked gasp as a low rumbling noise disturbed her daydream. The commotion seemed to infect the entire beach until one observant person yelled out 'TIDALWAVE!!!'

All eyes quickly turned to the sea as, from the distance a large wall of water rapidly approached them, as tall as most buildings and still growing.

Panic struck as a mad dash for safety ensued, people were tripping over themselves trying to escape. People flooded into buildings trying to find higher ground while others merely dashed through the streets hoping to escape the oncoming devestation by being as far away from it as possible.

Poor, alone, Amy Rose surrendered to her panic as she looked left and right rapidly wondering what she could do. Her reaction was perhaps the most obvious, but overal the least helpful. She opened her mouth and yelled at the top of her lungs 'HELP!'

Without warning she found herself swept off her feet and rushed to safety. Afraid to open her eyes, but too curious to keep them closed she witnessed the face of her mysterious rescuer and instantly fell in love.

'Are you alright?' questioned Sonic 'it was stupid for you to just stand there. It was stupid enough to be at the beach in the first place. Use your head in future'

Amy's responce was a light-headed nod, Sonic didn't seem impressed nor interested, he had bigger things to worry about like a huge natural disaster he was powerless to prevent.

Thankfully Tails was doing more than is fair share of the work airlifting people to rooftops and ensuring their safety. At this rate the damage done, at least to the people, would be minimal at best.

Once everyone had been taken to safety Sonic and Tails stood confidently watching the oncoming waves.

'It's gonna hit any second' said Tails, worried 'we should get moving'

'Not yet' said Sonic 'I have to be sure there's no one else who can get harmed'

'Mighty big tidal wave for such a small space station' said Tails, worried.

He didn't recieve a reply from his best friend. Instead he noticed something else. Sonic was actually afraid. Tails knew his friend couldn't swim, but was he afraid of water?

'Ok! Let's go!' called Sonic, already running ahead leaving Tails behind.

His friend soon caught up and the two of them watched the tidalwaves destroy the entire coastline, after sticking around long enough to survey the damage and make sure no one was hurt, the two friends made their way home. It had been a long week, but at last The Death Egg was destroyed and the aftermath of it's descent into the atmosphere was taken care of.

-

Meanwhile. Several miles away from Westside Island.

'I'm deeply sorry my spiny friend' said Eggman, in a deeply appologetic voice. I did not mean to cause harm to your island, I just needed to make sure that my great space station wasn't destroyed'

There was a small silence in the room for a few moments, then a recorded voice made several noises much like growls, each different than the last, a language made up of growls and murmers.

Soon after, a voice replied to the machine, angrily. Again there was a silence until the recording spoke again in the language that Eggman understood.

'You brought damage to my homeland and sunk it to the sea! This action is unforgiveable!'

Eggman shock his head and sighed, laying a hand on his smaller companion 'But it's not my fault!' he cried 'the hedgehog destroyed it. Blame him!'

The message was translated again and Eggman's spiny companion fell silent, his eyes turned to a mural on the wall beside him. The image was unmistakable, a human, most probably this Dr Eggman, was protecting the treasure from the flaming demon hedgehog. His people had long forseen this day and his destiny lay before him, regardless of his personal feelings, he could not deny a mission which was set in stone before him.

'Just give me the time and resources to rebuild the Death Egg and you'll never see me again' pleaded Eggman

His companion hung his head and turned to face Eggman 'Ok!' he said in our language 'For now!'

'Ah, still learning the language I see' said Eggman, with glee, 'you'll be speaking like a native in no time soon'

In the corner of the room a solitary robot was propped against the wall, it's cold and lifeless body illuminated by a nearby green light. It's purpose nor power had yet to be defined, but this one robot was all that was salvaged from the Death Egg wreckage and it was, by far, Eggman's ultimate weapon.

~

Chapter 1.

Abomination! The soulless life-form is born!

EGGTIUM 6000... MODEL 20.... CODENAME: METAL SONIC!

AI STATUS: ....ONLINE!

A low pitched hum filled the dimly lit room for a moment as life was born within Eggman's robotic creation. It's eyes slowly flickered to a dark red and the head tilted upwards, the jet installed in it's stomach reeved up releasing an echoing roar. Then, at last there was silence. The robot looked around in fear. It's sofisticated AI programming may have contained as much knowledge and info as Eggman could have provided, but the moment it was activated the robot was a self-aware and emotional being, brought suddenly into life with no explanation nor reason. Fear was the only responce it's CPU would respond with.

It groped around it's hard, metal surface for a moment, trying to make sense. Clarrify location, Clarrify status, obtain mission objectives. Suddenly it's hand fell upon a wire attached to the ventallation shaft on it's chest. Unable to justify the responce within it's pure logic processor it instinctively tore the cord from it's body. A strange sensation. The feeling of energy being poured into it's body, which felt like euphoria to the machine, stopped instantly and with it he felt unplugged from whatever had gave it life.

Carefully it took a few steps, barely noticing all of the processes which went along with such a simple action. Raise left foot, swing forwards, brace landing with front of foot, correct balance, move right leg, continue using forward momentum.

So confusing, what was this place, why was he here? The robot didn't even find shock in the fact that within 2 minutes of it's birth it had defined itself not only as a being, but as a male. From "it" to "he" in 120 seconds.

It's hands rested upon a large stone, it felt a warmth and a pleasant feeling being detected in it's hands. Feeling, emotion, self-recognition. The robot's Artificial Intellegance still recognised itself as a robot yet already it was feeling sensations, emotions and everything connected to life. A mechanical soul, confused and lost, the fear which had driven the robot forwards to this point was peaking, the part that was still logical, programmed by Eggman was crying for a logical responce to the sense of danger. Suddenly the answer felt clear, it was far from logical, but to the robot's newly found self-awareness it was the only possible reaction to soothe the fear.

the words formed in it's head and quickly transfered to the robot's speakers. 'Help' it said, in a cold and heartless voice.

Quickly it's AI scanned for a problem with the responce and repeated, in a louder to 'HELP!' still, it felt wrong. The answer to tilt the word, manipulate it to be apparent with the sense of urgency, add panic and distress to the sound to provoke a reaction 'HEEELP!!!'

The scream echoed down the stone halls for some time, it was soon answered by Dr Eggman, who approached laughing with glee.

'You're finally awake, my Metal Sonic'

'Metal... Sonic' the robot repeated, being sure to add a sense of confusion or wonder to the projection of it's voice.

'How quickly they grow up' the Doctor cackled 'You are by far my greatest creation, even if we disregard the pure power I inserted into you, the processing unit installed is revoloutionary. You are able to think, feel and even act like a true life-form'

'You are my creator?' Metal Sonic asked, looking around the world and rapidly absorbing every layer of reality and accepting each of the internal processes and classifying it's place and purpose with every beat of his masters heart.

'That I am Metal Sonic, you may call me father if you desire, but it's not important if you don't'

Metal Sonic's mind registered this sentance, analyised it. Dr Eggman is creator. Dr Eggman allows free choice. Recognise creator as father?

'I understand... father'

A smile stretched across Eggman's face. A feeling of intense pride filled the evil genius' heart and he actually found himself liking his creation. The power of a single chip, until now he had never thought of any of his robots as anything but slaves. This one was different, it was like the son he never had.

'Now Metal Sonic' he began, with a glimmer in his eyes 'I have a very important mission for you!'

'Preparing to recieve mission parameters, please proceed' replied the robot

Eggman sighed, feeling a little voice in the back of his head tell him he wasn't quite human yet. 'You are constructed in the likeness of my worthy adversary Sonic The Hedgehog' the robot nodded in responce 'Your power and skills are made to match and defeat his' again the robot nodded, noting this for future reference 'Your sole mission, defeat him by any means neccesary!'

'Sonic is my nemesis? I understand!' the robot found himself searching through each of his files without thinking, already having detailed documents on the hedgehog and his past exploits. His fighting style. His attitude. Everything that made Sonic, Sonic. If Metal Sonic had a mouth, it would have smirked at the challange.

'Excellent. Then we're going on a little trip. Once we arrive and I set up camp, I don't want to see you again until the hedgehog is dead!' his voice was stern and unforgiving, whatever feelings Eggman had towards this creation were gone the moment his true objectives were in sight 'You may have life and be the greatest thing I have ever constructed, but you are like all machines, you were built with specific purpose. Fail that purpose and you are reject trash, don't forget it!'

The robot lowered it's head to think. So much to take in. So much to learn. Already it was beggining to form a personality and opinions, and an underlining hatred of his father.

In the corner of the room another watched, he folded his arms and shock his head, 'Time waste!' he said, angrily to himself.

Eggman began to leave the room 'Rest up Metal Sonic and learn all you can. We'll be setting off to The Little Planet in a few hours. Hopefully our mission there will give us enough time to complete our objectives here'

And so, alone again, Metal Sonic began to test it's capabilities and decide upon it's feelings, pondering his one true mission parameter 'Destroy Sonic The Hedgehog, no matter the cost'

-

'And the damage caused by tidalwaves, which experts say is caused from the impact of The Death Egg upon the sea h-'
'-ro Sonic the Hedgehog! Who has once again defeated Dr E-'
'-at happened to Doctor Eggman is a mystery. But most believe him to b-'

It had been at least a week since the crash of The Death Egg. Life was slowly returning to normal as stray robots were captured and dismantled to free the innocent creatures inside. Tails was busily trying to fix The Tornado from the shot it took trying to land on the Wing Fortress. The extra jet engine was, perhaps, enough for him to save Sonic and help him board Eggman's space-shuttle, but alas the engine of the plane was still broken and flying it to find the Death Egg wreckage and confirm Dr Eggman's death was not an option, yet. After that was done he had his second job ahead of him, to study the 7 Chaos Emeralds which Sonic brought back with him, as long as Tails had them, they were safe, but the curious young fox needed to know the source of their power and how they gave Sonic such a destructive force when he harnessed their powers.

Sonic on the other hand had been enjoying mass publicity. Riding around in parades, talking on guest-shows, the boring stuff which he felt obliged to do as he was a self-styled symbol of hope and freedom. Deep down the hedgehog only wanted to fly out to the Death Egg and confirm that Eggman was really gone. He was certain he wasn't perhaps it was because he believed evil would never cease in the world and that his fight was a futile but neccasary one, but really he was wishing for Eggman to be alive. Even if the man was pure evil, he gave Sonic a reason to live and a source of endless adventure. He wouldn't trade that for all the parades in the world.

Amy Rose on the other hand was at home, surfing all the channels waiting to see her darling Sonic again. Her childish obsession was already peaking at points which most normal people would never know. She couldn't even understand why anymore, all that mattered what that somewhere out there her darling Sonic was waiting for that perfect day that he would bump into the young and beautiful Amy Rose and declare his love for her at that very spot. Their meeting a week ago was fate, the foolish young woman was perhaps foolish enough to believe what her fantasies were telling her, but that hardly mattered as her heads were so stuck in the clouds that reality didn't take part in the equation.

'Oh Sonic, when will I see you again?' she said, flicking the channels, 'My heart can't wait much longer. This week has seemed like an eternity with you starring out at me through the TV screen'

Suddenly the reception scrambled on the TV and the grey snowstorm filled the screen, as quickly as the reception had cut out was it replaced with a new image. Dr Eggman and a blue robot behind him with it's arms folded.

'HELLO!' yelled the voice of Dr. Eggman through the TV set 'I'm sorry for the trouble you all must have felt these past few weeks, wondering if I, the brilliant scientist, Dr Eggman was still alive or not, but fear not, for I am fine and well. I'm making this announcement to call upon the attendance of Sonic at a special little gathering at The Little Planet, I have a new playmate for him to meet'

'Playmate?!' questioned Sonic, watching the TV broadcast, and rather impatiently waiting for it to end so he could speed to Netherlake, where The Little Planet appeared.

'And as for the rest of you, I'll be seeing you all soon, so please don't worry too much about my absence. I just hope you all have panicked little lives fearing the moment I return to turn you all into my obedient robotic slaves!'

'Oh no!' cried Amy at the screen 'Eggman's up to no good and Sonic's going to face him alone. This cannot stand! I Amy Rose shall follow Sonic to The Little Planet and beyond, as long as the two of us stand together nothing Eggman throws our way shall defeat us! We'll be invinsible!' she raised her hand into a victory pose, but as she did banging from her ceiling came down, followed by a voice.
'Keep the noise down you crazy hedgehog!!!'
'Sorry' she shouted back, scratching the back of her head nervously, and making her way to meet Sonic at The Little Planet.

In the Metallic Madness Zone, Eggman turned to Metal Sonic.
'Ok Metal' he began looking at the creation 'It's time for you to show us what you're made of. Remember! Don't return until Sonic is dead!'

The robot nodded and walked out. Flying away and out of the atmosphere of the world, down to Netherlake below, waiting anxiously to meet Sonic, and destroy him...

To be continued...

Whadya think?