Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
AN: Like I put in the title, this fanfiction involves an OC. If you do not like them, then you will not want to read this. I hope you enjoy it! Hopefully it won't be too painful. *_*

Chapter 1

So I guess I COULD say that this is the story how I died. But unfortunately this is no Disney movie where there was a miraculous break through at the end. Although there were times where there were random intervals of bursting out into song but let’s not get caught up with the semantics. But death…well, it was scary. And despite what you would think, it wasn’t because it was so unknown but because it was so final. Just knowing that everything you love was just going to be finished, no second chances, no take-backseys had a terrifying ring to it.

How did I die?

Asthma attack.

Bet you’re disappointed. No I didn’t get shot trying to save someone. It just happened to be the one day I forgot my inhaler, plus a dead cell phone in the middle of the woods on a path I liked to frequent and a surprise attack that I rarely had and it was curtains for me. Sound extreme? Well it’s really not. It’s actually quite a possibility. All it takes for a trigger, a surprise face full of mold when trying to catch a lizard and it set off the attack. First came the coughing, my bronchioles trying desperately to eradicate the irritant. Then came the mucous production, my body trying to stop the mold spores, something that would not be so severe to most people but because my allergies-which are horrible to have especially when you have a breathing issue that is triggered by them- are so bad, it caused a powerful response from my immune system. Then came the constriction.

It was rapid and I was choking, hacking, trying to spit out whatever mucous I could to make room to breathe but with no life-saving albuterol and no phone to call for help, however unlikely I would have been able to speak, there was no chance. It was at least a mile back to the parking lot of the church parking lot that the trail was right next to and the one busy road in town that I could have possibly got help at too far away for me to reach as well. My vision began to darken and my mind began to fall under a heavy sluggish pace, unable to form coherent thoughts and then I lost consciousness.

I vaguely became aware of the darkness engulfing me and then far in the distance, a tiny, tiny pinprick of light. I rushed towards it, chasing after for what seemed an age until at last I was engulfed in brightness, leaving my eyesight blurry. I choked, spitting up thick, gooey fluid. It clung to my lungs, in my throat and was slimy upon my tongue. I hacked again and then at last it was clear.

Air.

Beautiful, glorious air.

I could breathe and I realized I wasn’t going to die. I was so close to slipping away. To losing everything. The thought of the finality hit me and then, I cried. I cried hard. It had been a harrowing experience and I wasn’t looking forward to my next asthma attack. As I began to calm down I noticed something strange. My eyesight was still blurred and I was aware of large hands lifting me up. The terror that had slipped away returned, slamming against me in the form of a rapid heartbeat. Emotionally frayed from my near death encounter, I found myself crying harder again, squirming to get out of this giant’s grasp but my limbs would not function properly. And then I heard soft cooing.

‘I’m…a baby?!’ I thought.

What the hell?! Well that had not been something I had been expecting let me tell you. But that wasn’t the only thing that was strange. After some time, hard to say how long since the grasp of time had been lost on me in my newborn state, but I noticed that everyone spoke Japanese! It was a language I never learned to speak but after spending all of high school and some of college watching anime, it was a tongue I have learned to recognize upon hearing it. What happened? Was I reincarnated? I strangely had a feeling that there would probably have been someone saying “I told you so” if they could see this.

It took years before I began to realize that something wasn’t…well, right. If I HAD been reincarnated, well some god up there had a rock over their head the size of North America.
Apparently they didn’t get the memo about the update in technology because the computers I saw in the stores were dinosaurs. Like the dawn of the computer age, dinosaurs. Hey, Big Guy Upstairs (or Gal, I’m not sexist) you do remember that those guys are extinct right? Right, so you’re behind the times, it happens to the best of us, but seriously, what does a girl have to do to get an Ipod around here? No luck? Well just know that it’s on my Christmas list, okay boss?

I’d never really been religious before I died but after this whole scenario, I’d be willing to consider a change in faith. Considering that I was still capable of abstract and coherent thought as an infant, it made me wonder if this was how geniuses came into the world. Just reincarnated other people. Well, I certainly was no genius and being born into a country that did not speak English, that meant I was going to have to learn Japanese. I’d said many times in high school that I wanted to learn but never mustered up the motivation to do it after I learned about the extensive character collection of Kanji. And let me tell you, learning it did suck.

My parents named me Midori. A name I now snicker at since in my era it was the brand name of some melon liqueur that I had never tried. Another strange thing I had noticed was even though I was in Japan, not everyone here was born with dark hair and dark eyes. While my hair had come out black as a raven’s feather, my eyes were the only thing that stayed the same from my old body. A vivid green and that was how I was given the name Ito Midori. Still, if you ask me, I'm convinced this means I'm going to become an alcoholic....just you watch.

Going to school again sucked, though. I mean, I already finished the basic stuff. I was still working on my degree in college when I croaked but I had thought going through grades K-12 was only a one-time thing and I would never have to look back. But I suppose it did help me get up my motivation again. After years of doing minimal studying, my attention span on textbooks and notes had been…well, limited. Something else that was appreciated was that Tou-san, while firm, was happy whenever I came home with A’s and B’s. Growing up-the first time around- I had parents who, while only wanted what was best for me, always told me that I still needed to make my B’s A’s. This, over the years, killed my motivation to even maintain that roll of grades and make me feel that my efforts weren’t good enough. After all, I tried to make good grades to please them because I had not firmly grasped why it was important.

This time around I did understand the necessity of them and with a diligent but lonely father, he helped me get motivated. I made good grades and I did a little better making good friends this time around. When I was young, I was so desperate for approval and for someone to like me, I was a push over and would quickly settle for someone who would tolerate me being around but this time I knew better. I made friends, only a few but good ones.

But I did miss my technology. I longed frequently for my PS3 in the corner of my room back home, but knew that it had not even been invented yet. Based on my surroundings, I could only guess that I was sometime in the eighties, despite the fact I had no idea why I would jump BACK in time. None the less, I missed Assassins Creed, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and all the other games I loved. Lacking the typical distractions and entertainment I usually had, I begged Tou-san to sign me up for martial arts.

Even though there was a code to adhere by, it was nice to know that I could kick a** when I wanted too. I participated in tournaments and once I came in second, though it never happened again and I loved doing it. I even volunteered for plays like I used to the first time I went to school.
Things went well, even if I did have to go through the horomonal phase of puberty again. I thought I was just living a normal life, even if I was fifteen again. Tou-san enrolled me in a local private school, wanting me to receive the best education. Meioh academy. The name pricked at my memory but I could not recall where I had heard it from.

Still I dismissed it as nothing and was more than happy to attend the private school Tou-san had picked for me. The uniform, while unfortunately painfully close to pink and still naggingly familiar, it was a nice school. I thought everything was normal. Until I passed by a mob of girls, giggling and vying for someone’s attention. I deliberately was going to ignore them since that kind of simpering usually grated on my nerves when I heard one of them call out a familiar name.

“Suiichi-kun~!”

I froze for a moment. It couldn’t be. Slowly I turned and looked to see who they were talking too. Flaming red hair, tumbling to his midback, a lean and tall stature and brilliant green eyes like my own. It was Kurama. Kurama. ******** Kurama, king of thieves, fox demon from Yu Yu Hakusho. Suddenly, things aren’t so simple anymore.
I really loved this. You write very well. I'm curious as to how things will go from there. Do you plan to continue it? cat_question

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
KayaKit
I really loved this. You write very well. I'm curious as to how things will go from there. Do you plan to continue it? cat_question

Absolutely! I've already made it to chapter three I just haven't posted the other two yet because I was unsure how received my fanfic would be. :/ I'm glad you liked it!

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 2

Chapter Text

So, if I were a cooler person, I probably could have strolled off and acted calmly infront of the tittering group of love-struck girls and ******** Kurama. Well, I am not a cooler person and for the first time in my life-er lives- I fainted. When I opened my eyes I sighed. It was a dream, nothing to get worried about, right? Except I wasn’t in my bed.

I blinked slowly and looked around the room. It didn’t take much to realize that I was in the nurse’s office. So, not a dream then. Or maybe it still was. Yeah, that’s it, I just passed out and I dreamt that I saw Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. That must be it. But now I could see there was only one problem with that theory. He was sitting in a chair next to the cot. I promptly sat upright and squeak in a very, very feminine way that would have had one of my friends in my first life teasing me about how adorable I sounded.

He smiled but I was unable to tell if it was one out of politeness or if he found my reaction amusing. Probably a bit of both. My brain was sputtering over possible sentences to say. This was Kurama. My inner fangirl was having fits right now. What? I just really love his character ok! That’s as far as it goes. Ok, so maybe I had a tiny crush on him… or a kinda big one. Over just about everyone including Kuwabara in their own way… Dammit I like my favorite characters, don’t judge me!

“How are you feeling? You suddenly passed out.”

Oh god. I fainted in front of Kurama. I fainted in front of Kurama. I…can I have another asthma attack now? Even though I didn’t actually HAVE asthma-thank god- in this life? I can’t believe I made such a fool of myself. Am I turning red? Yup, definitely turning red, thanks blood flow. Way to make me look like one of his psychotic fangirls. In this world that is. It was different (from what I’d seen) from the fans in my world.

“I-uh-s-sure. Yeah, I’m good.”

Yeah. That was real convincing, Midori. Great job.

“Are you certain?”

“I, yeah, I’m good. Good. Thanks. Uh…” I suddenly went wide-eyed, “wait, um, how long have you been here waiting for me to wake up?”

He chuckled quietly, half amused it would seem, “Not too long. Only about half an hour.”

Well now I felt bad.

“Well, um, you know you could have gone on home right?”

It HAD been after school when I, er, let’s just say blacked out. It sounds a little more dignified than fainting. Was he just being a gentleman? It’s strange to think of him that way since he seemed so…brutal when he faced his enemies. Plus he was a fox demon, I had no doubt in my mind that he had a definite mischievous side.

“It’s quite alright. I wanted to make sure that you were alright…ah, it occurs to me that I do not know your name.”

The gears in my head seemed to stall for a moment before I put together the words to answer.

“Ah, I’m Midori.”

“A pleasure, Midori-san. I am Suiichi.”

“I…Nice to meet you, Suiichi-san.”

It’s probably a good thing that he had introduced himself or else I might have blurted his demon name aloud. Kurama seemed nice enough now but I knew that he could turn really nasty and I did not want to be on the receiving end if I let slip that I knew about his demon life. My mind began to ponder my situation. If I was in the Yu Yu Hakusho world, what part of the storyline was I in? More importantly, I needed to find a private place immediately so I could start figuring out how to work Spirit Energy!

“Are you alright?”

I snapped my head up.

“Do I need to call the nurse over?”

I sputtered, “N-no I’m ok.”

Seeing his emerald gaze on me made me squirm awkwardly. I was still trying to come to terms with the fact that Kurama was sitting next to me. This couldn’t be real. I blinked several times, trying to see if his appearance would change to someone else like I had been hallucinating this entire time. He tilted his head to the side expectantly.

“Your fangirls are going to kill me.” I blurted.

That earned a quirk of a smile, one I was certain was genuine or at least in a small part. He chuckled softly at that.

“You needn’t worry about them.”

The sentence was spoken lightly but it was clear that he was aware of the fanaticism that they possessed. We have a comedian ladies and gentleman. I pinned him with an unamused look but then laughed and rose to my feet, trying to brush the wrinkles out of my uniform.

“If you say so. I need to be getting home though.”

“Are you certain you are well enough to walk?” he rose from his seat.

I waved him off, struggling to maintain my composure. I’d already made enough of a fool of myself before by fainting, I certainly did not want to add more embarrassments to the list.

“Yeah, I got it. Thanks though. See you around, I guess.”

And then I fled from the nurse’s office. Yeah, I ran, like a little girl. I’m not proud of it but I’m pretty sure that a few more minutes in there I would have embarrassed myself so bad that I would have caused a solar flare as a result from how red-faced I would get. I ran most of the way home, something I could not have done in my first life since I had spent too many years with minimal exercise, and enthusiastically pulled on my uniform to head to Judo practice.

Honestly, I didn’t do well in the class because I was too distracted, thinking about how I was actually in the world of YuYu Hakusho. How did this happen? I’m no expert on the work of physics or the space-time continuum, hell, I’m not even entirely sure what branch of science I COULD apply to this. By all rights this SHOULD be impossible. Yet, plain as day, it was clear that I was here. Did that mean that things were going to flow differently now that I was here? Were things going to be the same?

Even if I DID manage to figure out how to use my spirit energy by myself, there would be the issue on how I was going to become involved with Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama and Kuwabara. God, that’s really long, I’m just going to call them the YuYu Gang. That’s simpler. I wasn’t going to be in this world without getting involved with the storyline. This is one hell of a second chance and I sure as hell am not going to pass it up.

I was suddenly very glad to have my current home life. Frequently I was alone because Kaa-san died when I was very small. Had I been a normal baby it would have been in such a time that I would not have remembered her. But I remember that day she had red me a story to lull me to sleep after a crying session. What? Did you think that I had never cried as a baby? I had lost much, my family, my friends, school, my kitten. Everything that I had held dear was gone. Most of the time when I cried as a child, it was me mourning what I had lost. Infancy was a great way for me to cope and come to terms with everything.

Now that I was an adolescent-again-I was left alone most of the time. Normally it was lonely but now that I have the opportunity to join in on the storyline, this would be incredibly convenient. I was in such a rush to get home after Judo practice that I nearly ran out into oncoming traffic. Twice. Yeah, I already died once, let’s not have that happen again. Still when I burst into the quiet emptiness of the apartment Tou-san and I lived in.

I blinked once I stepped inside.

Sure I was alone and sure I now knew of the existence of Spirit energy but I had no idea how to access it. Or if I even have it to begin with. I was under the impression from the anime that everyone had it, just not everyone accessed it. But what if I was wrong? And even if I was right without the proper guidance, I had no clue on how I was going to dig it out. Yusuke happened to awaken his because of his time spent as a ghost.

Maybe this meant that mine was awakened too. I already died, it would make sense right? I stared intently at my hand, as if looking at it long enough would magically make my spirit energy appear. I had so many ideas on what I could do with my spirit energy once I got it. I huffed then when nothing happened and plopped to the floor, sitting cross legged, the hard wood cold against the skin not covered by my skirt. I wracked my brain furiously.

After what seemed like forever, I finally came up with the idea of meditation. I mean, monks and stuff in my world used meditation to access chakra. I had tried meditation in my first life but it was not something I was very good at. The goal was to reach the theta state and be lulled into a trance. Problem was my brain was constantly running, not necessarily complex thoughts but they were always enough to keep me from entering a trance.

But what choice did I have? If I wanted to at least have some use of my Spirit Energy by the time I managed to rope myself into the storyline, it was the only idea I had. With a sigh, I straightened, resting my arms on my legs and closed my eyes. Well, might as well get started then.

Xxxx

Ok, I’d heard that meditation was good for relaxation but the only thing it seemed to do was make my blood pressure go up. Fifteen was way too young to have that problem but I’m fairly certain after spending three weeks trying to meditate I had developed Hypertension. I furrowed my brow, scratching my head in deep thought, ruffling my wavy black hair.

Three weeks and the meditation still wasn’t working. It was unbelievably frustrating. I wasn’t sure if I was approaching tapping into my spirit energy the right way or if I was just not meditating correctly. It wasn’t like I had anyone to ask about this, give me pointers. I’m sure I could track down Genkai and have her teach me but I was fairly certain she wouldn’t. Not to mention, I don’t remember much, but I do remember that Yusuke went through hell with her training and I wasn’t certain I wanted to put myself through the ringer like that.

When I wasn’t meditating-and failing- I was studying. Not for school, though I should have been working more on my homework. No. What I was working on was actually on a higher level than what I was currently studying in class. Anatomy and Physiology. It wasn’t for any future or anything but for the power I hoped to be able to use if I could harness Spirit Energy. I remember faintly from my first life that Genkai could heal with her powers. And one day (in my first life) I had found myself contemplating those powers and how they would work. In order for her to do that, it must mean that her energy was accelerating cellular division.

After all that’s what healing was. Cellular division.

And it also made me wonder what else was I could do with it. I had a few ideas but one step at a time. Still, even if I have an idea how it works, I need to know the body to properly execute it. I’m sure you are thinking, “Well why are you already studying this now when you don’t even know how to use your Spirit Energy?” Anatomy and Physiology is a very indepth topic and while I remembered some of the material from my premed classes in college it wasn’t enough.

With a book I had retrieved from the library in hand, I walked down the empty halls of the school, reading about how to properly meditate. I was so engaged in the text I was reading that I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and I walked right into another person. I squeaked in surprise, dropping the book to the ground and leapt back.

“I’m so sorry I-!” I stopped midsentence when I found myself facing Kurama. Again.

It’s true that I had been trying to figure out how to get involved with the group but I hadn’t figured that I would run into Kurama again on accident. I felt myself turn a bit pink since I remembered fainting in front him. Still it was funny how I just happened to run into him again. Maybe someone up there really did want me involved with the storyline.
I stared for a moment.

I felt kind of sorry for him, honestly. After my fainting spell suddenly every girl in school started having them and always infront of Suiichi. They were all hopeful that he would carry them personally to the nurse’s office. Whether or not he did I wasn’t certain. I’d heard just about every girl claim that he had but found out later that a teacher helped out or something.

“I’m sorry I gave them ideas.”

He blinked bemusedly, “I’m sorry, what?”

“The fangirls. I apparently gave them ideas to start fainting in front of you.”

“Ah, that. It would seem that most of the female population of our school has developed medical problems.”
I stared at him incredulously for a moment before I realized he was kidding. He had been so serious when he stated it that I completely missed that it was a joke.

“Mm, must be inconvenient for you. Guess you should go into the medical field then.” I grinned at him, “I mean you already seem to be playing doctor often enough now, you’ll have plenty of practice.”

He chuckled and knelt down, scooping up the book, glancing at the cover, “Meditation, hm?”

“Yeah, it’s supposed to be relaxing and help me focus,” I improvise, “But so far all it’s done has caused me to develop hypertension.”

“It is a rather…tricky thing to master.”

My eyes widen marginally. Really I shouldn’t be surprised that he knows how to meditate with all his years of life. Still this could prove to be helpful. I shifted uncomfortably, accepting the book back from him and holding it in my arms.

“You know about meditation, Suiichi-san?”

“I have practiced in the past.”

“Do you…well, do you think you could give me some pointers?”

He gave a soft smile, but I saw something glinting in his eyes though I was unsure as to what it was, “Why is it so important to you?”

I stalled a moment. I hadn’t expected that answer. Honestly I hadn’t really expected him to dig into it at all so of course I had no on hand excuse.

“Well I…to tell you the truth, I’m worried about my grades. I’ve been struggling with them recently and you know here they boot you out if you don’t maintain them.” I fibbed.

While it was true my grades were slipping, it was almost entirely due to me focusing so much on Anatomy and Physiology but I certainly wasn’t using meditation as a way to help. But Kurama didn’t need to know that.

“Tou-san told me that meditation can help.” I elaborated further.

“While meditation is a wonderful tool to train your mind, it would probably be better if you studied.” He pointed out politely but I could tell by a brief flit of expression in his eyes that he didn’t believe me.

“Don’t get me wrong, I am but I’ve had a bit on my mind recently and I don’t think it’s helping anything. Meditation could help with that…er, couldn’t it?”

“That is true, meditation could help but it is not easy to accomplish.” He admitted.

I laughed, “I’m not worried about the work. I’m determined to do it and it will help me in the long run.”

“It is probably best if you focus on your school for now though. The time it would take for you to firmly gain a grasp on the practice, your grades would fall too low. You should consider a tutor.”

A frown quirked across my mouth, “Neh, but they are so hard to get a hold of here.”

Nervously, I ran a hand through my hair, shuffling a bit. It was an honest statement. At Meioh, tutors were hard to get a hold of since maintaining your grades was paramount. Truthfully I didn’t need a tutor. Most likely anyways. I just haven’t been focusing on it so my grades have suffered as a result.

“Don’t worry about it, Suiichi-san.” I dismissed, waving my hand, “I’ll figure it out. I know you have a lot to do.”

A single red brow arched delicately upward. He appeared almost as if he was mildly shocked that I was genuine in that statement. It appeared as if he was going to offer to tutor me and that was not something I wanted. If Kurama tutored me he could see that I was not as behind as I was leading him to believe. Not unless I was really careful. But this was a sharp demon and I was highly unlikely to be able to disguise anything from him.

“I can tutor you.”

I choked a bit.

“Wh-what?”

“I will tutor you.” He repeated patiently.

My green eyes were wide in shock. I should have known that just because I had insisted against it that he would listen. After Kurama carried me to the nurse’s office I had been on the receiving end of some nasty attitudes from some of the girls. If they found out that their dreamy Suiichi would be tutoring me, I’m certain they would send assassins after me.

“Ah! No you don’t have to! I can handle it!” I protested.

“Nonsense, I offered. It would be no trouble to help you. Meet me in the library on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school and I can help you.”

Before I could protest again, the red-head turned and walked away. I was flabbergasted. Why would he offer to tutor me? It made no sense. What did he have to gain? What was his motivation? I’m fairly certain that he had never extended this courtesy to others so why would he extend it to me? I blinked a moment.

Well. It looks like I’m going to be tutored by Kurama.
She's is so going to be found out, but who could say no to Kurama?! Especially if you knew who he was. I'm excited to see how she's going to fake it whee

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 3

“You don’t really have any friends, do you?”

Kurama did not look up from the paper, marking all of my meticulously calculated equations with a red pen. The crimson instrument would leave circles where I made a mistake, writing in how the problem was done correctly. For a moment I thought he was going to ignore me but he spoke, still fixated on my page of executed math problems.

“Why would you say that Midori-san?”

I tapped my finger against the table a moment.

“The way you interact with anyone, namely your classmates who talk with you.”

“I am friendly enough with them.” He said calmly.

“Neh, not really. You are cordial with them. There’s a difference.”

He actually looked at me then and I was worried for a moment that I had irked him but then I saw a tiny, amused smirk blossom on his lips.

“Have you been watching me, Midori-san?”

Oh god. I flushed. Well, I just slipped up already. I mean I was actually borderline stalking him since I’ve been trying to become involved with him. Er, that makes me sound like a one of his obsessive fangirls but I don’t mean romantically! Still I was utterly mortified that he had caught on that I was watching him.

“Ummmm, no?”

His green eyes glinted devilishly very briefly before they slipped into a fake innocent expression.

“Do you always make a habit of watching your tutors in school?”

“I wasn’t watching you!” I insisted, still red-faced.

Kurama raised his eyebrows disbelievingly at me. It was clear that he knew I was lying and honestly, it was glaringly obvious that
I had at least watched him a little bit. ********. Now I have to think of an excuse quick!

“I’m…now one of your fangirls.”

“More believable than you insisting that you weren’t watching me but I still don’t buy it. You do not behave as they do.”

“They could have assimilated me into their ranks.” I grinned mischievously.

“And still you lack the love-struck demeanor.”

“I’m a sleeper agent.”

He choked back a laugh and hid his mouth behind his hand for a moment and I grinned even wider. I feel like I earned a life achievement by making Kurama laugh.

“I shall have to tread carefully around you then.”

“I mean if you want I can giggle and call you Suiichi-kun.” I smirked.

He gave an expression of mild amusement, “I’d really rather you not.”

“Awww but whyyyyyy Suiichi-kuuuuuuun~?”

Kurama looks at me a moment with mirth gleaming in his eyes, “Perhaps you really have become a fangirl. After all you were watching me.”

I flopped my head onto the table with a groan, flushing bright red.

“God, you’re horrible!”

“Yes, I do believe you have become a fangirl. If my eyes see correctly, you have a blushing face.”

In response I burrow my face in my arms, “I believe you see wrong.”

“Oh really?”

“Yup.”

“Then why are you hiding your face?”

s**t. I had no response for that. Come on, Midori! Think! When I could not think of anything-at least somewhat believable-I willed myself to calm down. Then I lifted my head to show him that I was not embarrassed. If anyone tells me he is such a gentleman, I swear I’m smacking them. Chances it will be one of his rabid fanclub members and they’ll likely be out for my blood anyways. I can claim self defense.

“See?” I said with a cocky smirk, “I’m just fine, thank you very much.”

“Is that why you still have pink cheeks?”

He gave me a look that made me want to bury my face again but I fought the urge.

“Shut up…” I grumbled.

He smirked, “Well, if you were as good at your classes as you are distracting from them, I believe you would be able to get into any high school you wanted.”

“If I was I’d be the top student in the country.”

Xxxx

I was actually very lucky that Kurama had taken to tutor me and not just because I was trying to weasel my way into the main storyline. My grades climbed to a new height that they had never reached and I was truly grateful for it. But it wasn’t until now that I realized that I probably should have failed some tests intentionally or something. Now that my grades were up, Kurama had no reason to continue to tutor me much less hang out with me. With a sigh, I buried my face in my hands for a moment before I sat back and pushed my food around with my chopsticks.

“For someone who just vastly improved their academic scores, you don’t seem that happy.”

I jumped and squeaked. Kurama was standing at my table, his bento box in hand. Wait…was he actually there. Talking to me? In shock I blinked several times, trying to process the information that was before me before at last I realized, he had spoken to me and I should say something back. But what should I say?

“Well, I’m happy that my grades are up, but, well…”

He sat down across from me which made my brain stall out. I had not expected this unfurling of events. But I still managed to keep myself collected. Kurama tilted his head expectantly.

“Well, I really enjoyed hanging out with you. Even if it meant I was having my brain cells combust as a result of the tutoring and math equations. Now my Tuesday and Thursday afternoons will be empty. Today is a sad day.” I confessed throwing in my joking manner then I paused, “Oh god. I really have become one of your fangirls.” I flopped my head onto the table, “Leave me to my misery.”

“Now why would that be miserable for you?” he asked amused.

“I’m going to become a fixated psychopath, just like the rest of them. You apparently have that effect on people.”

“I’m sure you’re exaggerating.” Kurama told me calmly, removing the cap to his bento box.

“Tell that to my cuts, bruises and scrapes.” I shot back.

His expression changed then from a serene no care in the world to very serious and even a touch of anger, “What do you mean?”

“One of your fans tried to shove me down the stairs outside this morning.” I told him, “I have a bruise on my shoulder the size of an orange. It probably would have been worse had I not caught myself on the rail.”

It was true. I had just been minding my own business when this one girl, Fumiko, had waltzed up and began to tell me every bit of her opinion on how I was spending too much time with “my Suiichi-kun” as she called him and “accidentally” ran into me and knocked me down the steps. My shoulder had slammed into the walk rail and I had gotten scrapped up a good bit but was otherwise unharmed.

Kurama’s eyes darkened, “And who was responsible for this?”

“Fumiko.” I told him, “But don’t worry, I got her back.”

He looked at me questioningly.

“If she starts screaming about having chewing gum in her hair in a few minutes well….I may or may not have been responsible.”

It’s kind of strange to think that I was involving myself in such a childish display because despite having a fifteen year old body, I’m actually thirty-seven. Well, you know what they say: “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.” Still as someone who had just attempted to inflict serious bodily harm on me for something as petty as a crush on a boy, I think she deserved a bit of retaliation. And since Fumiko was unbelievably shallow, dropping a wad of gum in her hair seemed to be a fitting justice.

“Still, that was uncalled for.” He said, “I shall have a word with her.”

“Neh, don’t do that. You realize that if you appear to defend me it’s only going to set more of them on me, right? “

“Do not worry. I’ll be discreet about it.”

I was unsure, “Well, if you say so…”

“How badly were you hurt?” He inquired, leaning forward, propping his arms up on the table.

“Not bad. Just some cuts and bruises. They’ll heal just fine.”

“Good.”

I was a bit put off by his short answer but I could see that Kurama was angry. Or at least if that dark gleam in his eye was by any judge. And just how he was speaking he seemed very short. Uncomfortably, I shifted in my seat.

“So are you going to be eating lunch with me from now on?”

Ok, I’ll admit that I was totally changing the subject but Kurama was scary when he was angry, even if it was only a little angry. Hell it didn't even matter that it wasn't at me, it just made me that uncomfortable. Plus that was a legitimate question that I was curious about. In addition to trying to weasel my way into the plot/future real events that would be happening, I really did have fun with him the last three weeks even if it was at the cost of my brain cells.

“Would you like me to?”

The answer to this question was crucial. Kurama had seemed to get along with me but that was entirely different than actually being friends with someone, as I had pointed out to him once. Girls threw themselves at him all the time and if I seemed to be just as eager, then he might not stick around. From what I could tell based off of his interactions with others that if you were not interesting or of use to him, he would not associate with you. And seeming to eager would definitely label me as a run of the mill girl, which I did not want.

“Meh, if you want to I have no objections. But I won’t cry a river or anything if you don’t.” I shrugged, “But why not? I mean, if you really don’t have that many close friends like I suspected, what’s the harm? I’m pretty sure I don’t annoy you.”

Internally, though I kept a faux disinterested face, I was kicking myself. I rambled too much. Now it made it look like I was trying to convince him to stay and that would make me seem desperate. The nervousness and anxiety of his pending response made my skin tingle and prickle in an annoying way. I rub my arm in response, as if to soothe away the strange sensation but it did little to assuage it.

That was weird.

It was almost like a static electric current was running through my skin, covering my body with odd tingles. What the hell was this? I scratch at my knuckles in irritation. And that was when it hit me. Spirit Energy. Was I…? I abruptly stood up.

“I’ll be right back!” I suddenly exclaimed to him.

And then I ran out of the cafeteria, not at all caring who saw. When I made it to the girls restroom, I locked myself in a stall and sat on the toilet staring down at my hand and focusing very intently on it, my heart hammering in my chest with excitement. I noticed a very very faint blue glow encompassing my palm steadily growing outward to cover my fingers. My eyes grew wide in amazement.

“Spirit energy…” I murmured.

And then it promptly began to fade until I was staring at my very normal, not glowing hand. My elation quickly fell flat. Come on! Don’t stall out on me right when I managed to find you! I flailed my arm around as if I were trying to kickstart my energy back into my fingers but no luck. How did I manage to summon it to begin with? I spent six weeks in meditation with no results so why the hell does my Spirit Energy decide to reveal itself now?

I wracked my brain for an explanation and the only thing I could think of was that it must have been because I was feeling nervous. I know it didn’t seem like much but Kurama’s answer would either allow me to keep this path to get into the storyline or destroy it forcing me to find a new way in. If I’m emotionally stressed then that must trigger my energy!

I leaned my head back and laughed.

Sure I couldn’t control it but this meant I wasn’t just shooting in the dark and hoping there was something for me to hit. I had Spirit Energy and I could harness it if I work hard at it. When I marched back into the cafeteria, I was grinning like an idiot but I really couldn’t care if people thought me strange or crazy. This was excellent news.

“Well you certainly look happy.” Kurama noticed, “What is it that you rushed off for and now has you in such a good mood?”

“You don’t wanna know. It’s a girl thing. You know we have bodily functions and all.”

I could tell by the light expression on his face that he was stunned I chose such a blunt statement.

“I don’t believe there are any bodily functions exclusive to women that makes them happy.”

A smirk slips across my mouth, “Oh? And are you an expert on this? Is there something you want to tell me, Suiichi? Hmmm, that would explain the really long hair.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose. Clearly I was more amused by my joke than he was. I heard a quiet sigh but I noticed there was a look in his eyes. Kurama was hard to read at best and I could not make out what the expression was but it was definitely something that had me uneasy. Suspicion was the one thing that I could pick out of his gaze now pinned on me.

“Come,” he pressed, “I really would like to know.”

“Hmmm, too bad, I really don’t want to tell you.” I quipped easily, taking a bite of my food.

Emerald green eyes flickered for a moment and I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Now I could see suspicion and danger entwined together with in his firm gaze. I held my facial expression of a cool smirk but I was positive that there were tells of my fear in my expression that only a thousand plus year old fox demon would be able to pick out.
My blood was ice in my veins. Kurama’s pointed stare was a look that made me fearful, that made me realize that should he wish to kill me, he could do so easily. Of course, I was already aware of his abilities but seeing him as he was now, in a human body and a human setting, it was very easy to forget what he really was-is. And he could easily make my death look natural, I’m certain with his plants.

But why was he so suspicious all of a sudden? I mean I’m sure he could tell that I had been holding things back but never before had he pinned me with this carefully disguised look yet the subtext was glaringly clear. I distract myself by taking a sip of my juice but it did not help any.

“Tell me, Ito-san.” Kurama said calmly.

Oh s**t, he’s now just using my last name. I think the temperature in this whole room dropped by about thirty degrees. My
muscles tense and I strain to keep a clamp on my fear. Kurama is utterly terrifying!

“Are you busy after school today?”

s**t he was going to kill me. Definitely going to kill me. ABORT MISSION. I don’t care if I don’t get involved with the storyline now! I am SO not dying a second time!

“Ah, unfortunately, I am. Was there something you needed?”

“Curious. You are busy yet not ten minutes ago you mentioned that your afternoon would be empty.”

********. Me. Sideways.

I am going to die. Again.

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
KayaKit
She's is so going to be found out, but who could say no to Kurama?! Especially if you knew who he was. I'm excited to see how she's going to fake it whee

Haha of course. Not really much gets by Kurama. xD
Night Kunoichi
KayaKit

Haha of course. Not really much gets by Kurama. xD

Too true! whee

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 4

“Meet me after school in the chemistry lab on the third floor. Don’t be late, you won’t want me to come find you.”

I gulped and felt a shiver of fear run down my spine. No I certainly did not want Kurama to come find me. Rarely did you see Kurama get overly intimidating in the show, or at least from what I remember, but now I was seeing it in the face. I was unable to pay attention in any of my classes because I was far too distracted, thinking about what I was going to do. He suspects something. Did he know about my spirit energy?

I tapped my pencil very lightly against my desk as the sensei was making notes on the chalkboard. How was I going to get out of this? The questions that I would be faced with would be difficult to answer at best and I’ve spent all day trying to formulate possible answers. Somehow the truth would be less than believable. Call me crazy.

When the bell rang, I did not leap from my seat. In fact it took me a moment to even register that I was now about to head to my execution. After the situation settled into my brain I felt myself grow pale and shakily rose from my seat. There was no avoiding it and undoubtedly it would be much worse if I tried. I took a deep breath and left the classroom.
With every step I took I could feel the noose tightening around my neck. I would be found out, there was no avoiding it. Kurama was way too sharp and I suspected that he knew I’ve been lying about the meditation issue and now I really think he knew about me managing to pull out my spirit energy at lunchtime. Well, so long world. I wonder where I’ll end up this time. Naruto?

“Well look who it is…”

I turned at the familiar voice and smirked inwardly. It was Fumiko, her once long, tumbling blonde hair was now incredibly short. Evidently she had it taken care of earlier in the day. But the work was very messy and she would most certainly need to get it fixed up at a salon to repair the damage. But she was not alone. There was a boy with her from one of the local middle schools, I could tell that because of the uniform. I’d seen him around town a few times and he was part of one of the gangs. Hm, apparently Fumiko was taking this grudge match too far.

“Ah, I wish I could say nice to see you again but it would be a blatant lie.”

“Shut up.” She snarled, “You’re going to pay for ruining my hair.”

“And who says I did it?” I cocked a brow at her.

She scoffed, “Don’t try to be clever. I KNOW you did it.”

“And I suppose,” I drawled, “That you’re boyfriend there is here to teach me a lesson?”

I was not in the mood for this. I was extremely anxious in meeting Kurama, so much so I just wanted to get it over with. It was driving me crazy and I had no patience to deal with this thug or this self entitled brat. I squared my shoulders.

“You’re gonna pay for crossing Fumiko.” He said, pulling his hands out of his pockets.

He advanced towards me, threateningly. In response I stiffened, glaring venomously at him. I could handle this jerk without much of a problem. After all I have spent a decent portion of my second life training in Judo and no thug off the street was going to take me down. A cold anger emanated from me, feeling annoyed that this punk was going to keep me from getting my torture over with.

“I’m warning you.” I threatened darkly after he cracked his knuckles, “You touch me and you will regret it deeply.”

Honestly, when the boy hesitated I was a bit surprised. I expected him to laugh at me or to not take me seriously. I’m 5’3 and while I am corded with lean muscle from my Judo training, I am small and he was considerable bit larger than me. Yet he apparently was intimidated by me. But he shook himself out of it. As he reared back his fist and I knew now I could retaliate.
According to code, I warned him so now it was fair game.

He threw a punch at my face. I dodged to the left and took hold of his wrist and put my left hand on his back, using his momentum against him and propelled him into the lockers. The move didn’t break his nose like I had wanted because he guarded with his left arm, stopping himself from slamming face first into the cold, unforgiving metal. I let go of him and backed up, knowing he would retaliate.

“You b***h!” he shouted enraged and charged at me.

I dodged a wild hook he sent my way and I lashed out with a kick behind the knee. The knee that he had put all of his weight on. He toppled to the ground with a crash. He swore again and as he was struggling to get up to his feet. I punched him then across the jaw. The force of the blow snapped his head to the side and I heard a grunt escape him. Then he rose to his feet, a busted lip trickling blood.

What? Did you expect me to knock him out with one punch? That is completely unrealistic. Sure, I’ve been taking martial arts but this guy has at least 90 pounds over my weight of 110 pounds. I may pack a punch but certainly not that much. Let’s be real, he’s a big guy and has probably been taking hits from people way bigger and stronger than me. I don’t even think I have the ability to knock him out. Even if I would like to and walk away like a badass.

Enraged at my blow he charged me then. I dodged again but he followed me this time, staying very close to me. Another punch was speeding towards my face and there was no way I could dodge it. Not completely. And if I got hit full on I would probably be knocked unconscious. I tilted my head to the side just enough that it would not be a direct attack.

Even with me manipulating it so it would be a glancing blow, the punch was strong enough to send me flying into the lockers. Pain blossomed across my cheek and I knew it was going to be bruised heavily for a long while. My back screamed at me as well, the cold metal having dug into my flesh. I flinched. That was going to leave a mark too. Fumiko’s boy toy came rushing in for another shot. I didn’t want to take another hit so I dodged, letting his fist collide powerfully with the unforgiving steel. He cursed and I leapt into the air, executing a spin kick and crashing my heel into the side of his head.

The force of my attack knocked him down and I landed a bit clumsily, staggering and trying to keep my balance. I was tired of this. I wanted him to just quit so while he was still down I rushed over and delivered a sharp kick to his side, right in the ribs. I didn’t kick hard enough to crack any but if this guy didn’t back off soon, I was going to get rougher. My patience was almost nonexistent now.

Evidently, though, Fumiko did not like me abusing her little boyfriend and gave a scream of rage and dug her nails into the side of my face. I snarled in pain and anger and I seized her by the hair and dragged her to her knees. She whimpered and I punched her in the jaw. After I delivered that blow, Fumiko curled up on the floor crying.

When I straightened, He Who Shalt Be Called Annoying had come in for round…what? Three? I wasn’t even keeping track anymore. It was too many rounds in my book. Either way, he slammed me clean into the lockers, both hands on my shoulders. My lip curled up in a snarl and I darted my hands inward, in between his wrists and swept away from my body, leaving him wide open. I delivered a strong punch into his solar plexus.

Winded, he recoiled and doubled over. I seized the window of his weakened state, put my hands on the back of his head and slammed his face down into my on coming knee. His nose broke with a sickening crack, spilling blood on my leg. Then I punched him in the temple, knocking him to the floor. He groaned into the linoleum, blood dribbling from his lip and nose.
I didn’t realize how winded I was until I had stopped, my chest rising and falling heavily. Adrenaline was shooting through my veins, rushing through my muscles, leaving my heart rapidly pounding. This was way different than any of the spars we had in my dojo. Of course, I knew they weren’t quite the same but it was still strange. I had never been in an actual fight before. Not even in my first life had I been involved with one and it was almost…fun. Yet at the same time, I found myself afraid.

That fight had brought out a vicious rage in me that I did not even realize I had. And it was almost a relief to get it out, like it had just been pent up inside me all of these years. In my first life I had a problem with repressing things that bothered me and they eventually twisted into anger that brimmed beneath the surface of my skin. Could it have not gone away? Or was I just repressing things now and not aware that I was doing it?

“You’re going to pay for this, b***h.”

I turned at the voice to see Fumiko kneeling next to her man. She held such rage and hatred for me and I was sure it was because of me punching her in the face. But then a wicked, conniving smirk crawled across her mouth.

“Just you wait. I’m going to tell the principle how you beat me up.”

“Go ahead.” I told her, “But then I’m going to tell him how you sneaked a boy from Rugafuchi middle school in here and then had him attack me first. You’ll be in just as much trouble as me, if not worse.”

“You wouldn’t.”

This could be used to my advantage. Fumiko was one of those very…loud Suiichi fans. She had no reservations about broadcasting her love for the school prodigy. And it was that boastfulness that would lead the teachers to belief the truth should I tell them. Sure, I’d get in trouble for it but where I might get some detentions, she would likely get expelled.

“Wouldn’t I? All I have to do is tell them the truth how you had me attacked because I was talking to Suiichi. And since you are so vocal about your love, they would believe it. I don’t care what you tell them. But if you pull that, I’ll tell them the truth and then you’ll likely get expelled.”

She gave a cry of frustration and anger, “You can’t! Suiichi-kun is MINE!”

“Oh for the love of-really? He’s a person not an object! I’m not out to take anyone’s chance to date him or whatever the hell it is you guys fantasize about. He started talking to me first, end of story. If he chooses you to date, great. If he doesn’t, then get over it. You’re going to be rejected in your life, throwing a hissy fit like a brat won’t change it.”

I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Try anything like that with me again and I assure you, you will have more than a bruise on your cheek.”
She grew really pale and nodded, helping the boy to his feet, “Come on Keisuke…”

I watched carefully until they were around the corner and out of sight. Then I headed in the other direction. Then I froze. The chemistry lab…it was literally three doors down. That meant that Kurama would have heard the fight and our exchange. But if he heard it, why didn’t he intervene? The thought irked me that the entire situation could have been avoided had he just stepped out and stopped it. Fumiko mostly likely would not have let Keisuke hurt me then. Not with Kurama there.
I marched into the chemistry lab, my anger burning right alongside my gripping fear. But at least it gave me a bit more courage to face him. Kurama was putting up some of the chemistry tools when I stepped in but he heard me. I knew he did, even if I could not hear any noise myself. And I knew that he heard the fight between Keisuke, Fumiko and myself.

“Why didn’t you do anything?” I asked a bit tensely.

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.”

My patience for the day was finally gone and I was in no mood for his games.

“Please spare me. I’m not in any mood for your games. You want to be cunning and manipulative? Fine. But really? I could have been seriously hurt. What if I hadn’t been taking Judo for the past four years?”

He turned then and surveyed me, his green eyes lingering on my now swelling cheek and scratched face. But his eyes were cold, distant. Calculating.

“I had to ascertain whether or not you were a threat.” He stated clinically.

I gaped at him.

“Seriously? I’m a middle school student, what kind of threat could I possibly-“

“Let’s not dance around this topic.” Kurama said, cutting me off, “You have been using Spirit Energy.”

Well, this would make things infinitely easier to explain. Or at least lie about. I blinked for a moment.

“I could sense it in that fight you had with that student from Rugafuchi.” He continued, “And in the cafeteria, I could see it.”

“Wait…I was using it in that fight?”

I couldn’t believe it! I didn’t mean to! I could have really hurt that boy and-Wait a minute! If I was using my Spirit energy I should have knocked his a** out with the first hit! I feel like I’ve been gypped now! Man, I could have looked like a total bad a**!

“So you ARE aware of it.”

“Yeah, I mean after today in the cafeteria there was no way I wouldn’t be.”

Why was he being so suspicious anyways? It’s not like I was planning to kill him or anything. Oh. Oh. That made sense. Humans with spiritual awareness and control over their Spirit Energy would probably hunt down demons and destroy them. Not that I even had a chance in hell of killing Kurama, but if I was a possible threat, he would doubtlessly analyze the situation and be prepared to eliminate me.

I felt like a great boulder had been dropped in my stomach. How long had he been planning to remove me? Was it from the very start? A shiver rolled down my spine. Had I literally been flirting with death for the past month? Kurama gave me a cryptic stare. I could almost see the gears in his head turning, contemplating the situation. What was he thinking?

“Are you implying that you did not mean to use it?”

Though his tone was serenely quizzical, I had a feeling that he was suspicious, doubtful of that explanation.

“That’s right.”

“I find that difficult to believe.”

I sighed, “Look, we’re both intelligent people. You far more so than me. If I was really a threat to you, why would I have brought out my energy plain for you to see? That seems like a really stupid move. I’ve also been going to this school for a few years and you’ve never even so much as seen me until like a month ago.”

Kurama studied me with a cold look, “You make a…valid point.”

Relief rushed through me and I let out a sigh in response, “Great. I’m glad you believe me.”

“I never said I did.”

Frustrated, I groaned and slumped against a nearby lab table, “You are utterly impossible! Do you know this? Look, if I was really a threat to you, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have just gotten hurt by two normal humans right outside in the hall.”
The hair on the back of my neck stood on end at that moment. I could literally feel his energy hovering around him, crackling dangerously and his gaze turned to emerald ice. Kurama did not advance forward. He did not need to. The sheer presence he sent off gave my skin goosebumps. And I still felt like I was trapped even though I was caught in no binding or corner.

‘I am so going to die. This is how it ends for me. Well, if I end up in Naruto world, I may have the chance to learn the Chidori.’

“You are awfully informed.”

God there was just no winning with him, huh?

“What? Look, with this Spirit Energy stuff, it’s obvious that I’m not normal. That means that others aren’t too, right? I mean, you know about this stuff.”

Damn, I was doing a really good job about talking out of my a**. I always knew my ability of lying on the spot would come in handy! Still, I could tell that I wasn’t fooling him. But as of right now, everything I had proposed was viable.

“Look.” I said finally, resting my hands on my hips, “The fact is, I’ve been at this school for quite some time and I haven’t caused any trouble or anything. Hell, I’m pretty sure you didn’t even know I existed until I fainted in front of you.”

He put his hands in his pockets then, his frame relaxing but I could tell that he was still like a tight coil, ready to move at a moment’s notice.

“Why did you faint, by the way?”

Oh damn. How was I going to explain that one? I obviously could not say, “Well, I’m actually about thirty seven years old and I got reincarnated but from my first life you are actually an anime character which is why I fainted upon seeing you.” Yeah, that would go really well. So how could I….? Oh!

“Well… I was attacked…by a demon.”

God I’m a genius! Why didn’t I think of this excuse sooner?

“Or at least that’s what he said he was. Somehow, I managed to kill him, with this energy. I dunno really how it happened. Just that it came out of me right as he was about to kill me.”

I took a shuddering breath, though it was not one that I was faking. Genuinely I was scared whether or not Kurama would accept my story. But I let the quaver in my voice stay for it would make me sound more realistic in telling this tale.

“Just before he died,” I continued, “He asked how I was able to use Spirit Energy. I tried to do some research on it but I didn’t have any results. Then I saw you…and I noticed something about you….I guess it was your energy, felt like his. It scared me.”

After that explanation I felt my face turn red. It’s just plain embarrassing if it looks like you passed out from fear because of a classmate. But if it was a good cover story, I would do it. However he seemed to relax after my explanation. Even if he was likely still wary of me.

“I am sorry for your experience. So what made you more comfortable with me?”

“Well…” I paused a moment in thought, “I thought about it and I figured if you were dangerous, we would have other girls or boys in this school turn up missing or hurt or something. You certainly have enough people throwing themselves at you to make it easy.”

“You make an excellent point.”

He trailed off into silence. A very painful silence for me. I found myself trying to prepare for death since I knew it was coming. But suddenly Kurama looked at me with a mysterious and vague smile on his face. I blinked and felt a bit uncomfortable.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Then he left without another word.

So, wait, am I going to die or not?
Guess she's off the hook for a short time, but I'm sure that won't be the end of it. Kurama is just naturally prepared for anything at anytime so I'm sure he only half believes her.

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 5

I did not understand Kurama at all. Really. He was just sitting across from me as if nothing happened. As if he had not threatened my life in not so many words. I take a bite at my food, still staring intently at him as he munched on his own meal. Did this really not bother him? Am I going to die? He never did tell me if I was deemed a threat or not. I bit my lip and continued watching him.

“How long do you plan to keep staring at me, Midori?”

I gave a light squeak but smothered it with my hands to my mouth. Of course he would catch me staring. Kurama notices everything. I quickly looked down and began eating my food, as if to pretend I hadn’t just spent the past five minutes looking at the red-head. But one glance up at him and it was easy to tell that he was not fooled. Maybe a bit amused but certainly not fooled.

“Well, I was just trying to figure you out.”

“If that is your goal then you will be staring for a very long time.”

“It’s just…You’re acting as if nothing happened yesterday.” I pointed out.

“Would you rather I did and give you cold warnings?”

“Well, no, but…am I going to die or not?”

“Did you want to die?”

“Of course not! But you just sort of left without saying much yesterday.” I told him.

A smirk quirked at his lips, “You know, of course, that if I intended to kill you, you would not be informed about it.”

“That’s ok. I never wanted to sleep again anyways.”

My reaction seemed to entertain him for he smiled mildly.

“But you have nothing to worry about.” He added, “I have deemed that you are not a threat so you have nothing to fear. That is, if you can take my word for it.”

Oh that sneaky b*****d. I glared at him, to show I was not amused with his game. And yet…he makes an excellent point. Even if he makes it sound like he’s saying it in jest, he could still be very easily pretending that things were alright. A shiver rolled down my spine. I better start trying to remember some of the fandoms that I had been involved in so I can prepare myself for surviving in them. Maybe I’ll get Dragon Age! Or Assassins Creed!

“You are positively horrible!” I exclaimed.

He gave me a cryptic smile but contently went back to eating his food with impeccable manners. A scowl crept across my face. Crafty b*****d. He was doing this on purpose! It was clear he wanted to get under my skin and it was working! But it was possible! He could still see me as a threat and if he does that means I’m going to meet my death swiftly before I can even blink and I don’t even want to think about that and-

‘Ok.’ I thought, ‘I need to think of something else.’

“So….” I said taking a moment to think of something to say to Kurama, “do you have any special powers?”

The fox raises a brow at me, “What makes you so certain I have any?”

“Well you have Spirit Energy right? Wouldn’t that mean you would have other powers and stuff?”

Of course that was a lie. I knew that he had a specialty with plants but I needed to find out all of this through questions or else I may make a mistake and state knowledge I should not already possess.

“That is not information that you are privy to yet.”

Yet. Which means I have a chance later. And that also means that he doesn’t see me as a threat. If Kurama viewed me as such, then he would never consider revealing such facts. Still, I wanted to toy around with him. A sly grin crossed my face.

“Oh? If I aren’t a threat you should be able to tell me.”

I got him!

“Perhaps I simply enjoy leaving you in suspense.”

Son of a b***h.

“You just loooooove doing that to me, don’t you?”

Kurama gave an innocent look that made me scowl, “Doing what?”

“Oh, I don’t know, baiting me, making me think I have you outwitted just once, teasing me? Did I miss anything?”

“I think you made your list detailed enough. But to answer your question, I do rather enjoy it. It is rather hard to resist the urge when you make it so easy.”

I spluttered and flushed with indignation. Sometimes his appearance of a fifteen year old boy made me forget that he was actually rather ancient. And he was outwitting me like I was a five year old. It still was shocking at how easily he could do it. I had always fancied myself as a reasonably intelligent individual but whenever in witty banter with Kurama I would feel otherwise.

“Ugh. And the girls in this school think you’re a gentleman.”

“To them I am.”

I flopped my head onto the table, groaning. He was just impossible! Still, I found our interactions enjoyable even if he exasperated me half the time. Still, if I was going to get involved with the team, I was going to have to have more interactions with Kurama than just lunch. I don’t think I could get away with saying, “Wanna hang out?” Not yet anyways. So how COULD I make this work? Hmmmm…

“You have a very intent look on your face…” Kurama pointed out, breaking our silence.

“Oh don’t mind me.” I flashed him a mischievous grin, “I’m just plotting on getting you back for the trouble you caused me.”

His emerald eyes suddenly came a light with a glint. It wasn’t quite dangerous but it seemed very close. Almost…predatorial. But only just a hint. Had I not been more than twice my current body’s age, I would have missed it. Did I say something wrong? Or did he welcome the challenge? Or perhaps he thought that I was intending to hurt him or something?

“I must warn you, you will have your work cut out for you.” His tone was almost dark, but not angry.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa calm down!” I exclaimed, waving my palms in front of me, “I’m not like serious. Just teasing wise! God, don’t get that look with me. You look like you might hunt me down in the woods for fun.”

Kurama’s eyes darkened cryptically and I felt my blood ice over for a moment. While most of the time I could not tell what he was thinking I knew for that particular instance what he was. Once upon a time he WOULD have hunt me down for fun. Well, Youko would have anyways.

“Many of my kind would enjoy that very much.” He told me placidly.

“But not you?” I challenged.

“….I’ll leave that to your imagination.”

“Heeeeeeey!”

A sharp ring pierced the air, notifying the students that lunchtime was over and to return to class. Kurama rose smoothly to his feet and suddenly I had an idea. One that I did not have the time to discuss so I shot up.

“Hey, can you meet me after school? By the entrance?”

The demon raised a single eyebrow in curiousity but nodded.

“Great! See you then!”

It was unbelievable how many hateful glares I was being given at the moment. So many envious girls, shooting me looks as I walk along towards the street with Kurama. Honestly, with the hatred in their gaze, you would have thought that I was Osama Bin Ladin walking through the streets of DC. And all of this because I was walking with a boy they liked. This was one thing I did NOT miss at all about school. The catty and shallow behavior of the students. God, I want to be in college again. The students were much more mature and most of them actually wanted to be there. Of course there was always going to be some of those people who just never grow up at all but that’s life.

“So what did you want to speak with me about, Midori-san?” Kurama asked when we were finally out of earshot from the school.

Alright. This was it…

“Well…D-do you think you can teach me how to use my Spirit Energy?”

Honestly, I had kind of expected him to just stop walking at that question. But Kurama kept moving and he did not even twitch so much as an eyebrow. Stone cold unreadable. Sometimes it unnerved me, just how little I could see from him. Being in my late thirties mentally, I had picked up pretty well on how to read people but Kurama was unbelievably skilled when it came to his poker face. I had become so used to making out roughly what people think just by their expressions that it was almost unsettling on how I could almost get nothing from him.

“Now tell me, why would I help you become a threat to me?”

His voice was clinically detached. I wasn’t really surprised that he still didn’t trust me. Kurama probably lived his whole life being suspicious of everyone so I doubt he would trust me, a teenaged (well in a way) girl that he had only known for almost two months and who had knowledge of her spirit energy. At the moment, I think I was the most suspected person for future issues in the entire school. But I wasn’t going to complain. I’ll prove to him that I’m trustworthy.

“Look, the way I see it you have two options,” I explained, “You can either teach me and watch my progress and learn what abilities I tuck under my belt. Or you can say no. In which case I’m still going to try and figure out how to use it and then you’ll have no idea where I stand in terms of skill and abilities. This works out to your advantage if you think about it.”

Kurama’s face still remained blank. And even though there was no expression to clue me in on what he was thinking, I knew he was considering my proposition. I felt confident that he would agree to teach me after the point I had just made but…well, I’m not as brilliant as Kurama and I easily could have over looked potential possibilities. I really did not want to learn how to use my Spirit Energy by myself but I would if it was necessary.

“Very well.” Kurama said, “I will teach you. You should know however…the more you use your Spirit Energy, the more it will draw in demons.”

“Well considering I had already been attacked by one, I’m not too worried about that. I can’t…just sit around and not learn how to defend myself.”

It was strange speaking of an assault that never actually happened. But I do know that I would feel like this if it had been the truth. I hate feeling helpless and I would do whatever I could to ensure that I could protect myself. So I guess it wasn’t too off the mark.

“So, should we do this the same days that we did the tutoring?”

“That should be fine. Although, I think it best that we find a different place to practice. It would not be wise to work with your Spirit energy on the school campus.”

“I have an idea.” I offered, “Think of it as another gesture that you can trust me. My dad is frequently away on business so I’ll usually have the house to myself for weeks at a time. We can practice there. There shouldn’t be any interruptions either.”

“Very well. Lead the way.”

In shock, I blinked, “What, you mean right now? You want to go ahead and start?”

“Is this an inconvience for you? We can wait until later this week if you prefer.”

“No! No this is great!”

This was exciting! I would get to start today! Maybe I would be able to finally start working on healing! I should start small though. This kind of work was going to have to be precise! Did I even have that precision? I’m normally such a passionate person, throwing myself whole heartedly into whatever endeavor I chose to pursue, with such force that I often lose control. But the idea that I could help, to heal the team when they need it the most was something that was too tempting, to inspiring to easily ignore.

Wait.

When did I start considering myself a part of the team? I had not even met Hiei, Yusuke or Kuwabara yet. I cannot count myself a comrade before I even join their ranks. I quickly felt disheartened. How long was it going to be before I could finally take up arms with them? I already had the Judo under my belt so that would-Oh s**t! There’s no WAY my Judo can keep up with them! Now I’m going to have to drill myself on that too! If I had a chance I would need to be able to do more damage, dodge more hits, handle more pain. While the rest of them may not know it now, serious trouble was on the horizon, each trial more dangerous than the last.

“You are looking awfully serious, Midori-san.”

“Shhhh, don’t break my focus. This is my game face.”

He choked back a laugh and he covered his mouth with his hand. His humor was infectious so I grinned too, chuckling a bit myself. Casually, I slip my hand into my skirt pocket and shook my head.

“Damn it, Kurama, now you made me lose my focus!”

Silence.

What? What did I say? We were doing so well! I thought even for a moment that I had melted a tiny hole through the barrier of emotionless ice he seemed to keep around him. Was it my tone? Or did I sound demeaning or something? Chills suddenly raced up my spine, taking a deep hold into the bone and creeping into my blood. The danger he was oozing made me feel utterly terrified. His steps were rhythmic soft drums on the pavement. I glanced over at him and I noticed that his eyes were hard, dangerous and even more cold than I had ever seen them before.

“How do you know that name?”

Oh ********…

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 6

I was on the edge of hyperventilating. How the ******** could I blow it like that!? There is no doubt that I was going to die, for certain! I didn’t even MAKE IT to the team! And there is NO reasonable lie to explain how I knew his name. What do I do? What do I do! Kurama still kept walking, but he was very much aware of my every movement. I tremble, fearful of what would come next.

“How do you know that name?” he repeated, his voice deepening with an edge of gravel.

What could I say? There was no way that he would believe the truth! But the truth was the only thing left that I had to tell. There was no other explanation that I could provide. Or if there was, it escaped the grasp of my mind. I had no more options.

“Can…you wait, until we get to my apartment? We are almost there. Please.”

“You are stalling.”

“Do you really want to have this conversation about your demon counterpart in the middle of the street?” I countered.

“Very well.” He finally answered after a moment of silence.

While it was true that this was a topic not safe for the streets, this would give me a little bit of time to collect my thoughts. So I don’t just spew things in a mindless gibberish. But that two minute remainder of the walk was the longest of my life. It was unbelievable how much fear could slow down your perception of time. My hands shook as I slipped the key into the lock and entered the apartment. No sooner had the door shut (and I noticed with a sense of dread how Kurama locked it behind him) I was shoved up against the wall.

His reflexes were even faster than I originally suspected. I tried to resist, to fight him off because I was certain he was going to kill me , but it was useless. Kurama took a powerful grip on my forearm, yanked it forward and pressed a seed against my wrist. I felt a hum from his fingertips, likely from him using his demon energy, and a tangle of thin vines emerged from the seed. Without warning, one of the tendrils dove down at my skin and I suddenly cried out, throwing my head back in pain as it burrowed through my flesh. At several more points along my arm, more and more tendrils did the same thing, until they had taken root into my tissue.

Kurama then backed away and I slumped against the wall, my injured limb shaking as I fought back the tears by gritting my teeth and spitting out a string of swear words in English that I still remembered from my first life. My shaking stilled at last but the pain was still throbbing powerfully in my arm. I turned my gaze up to him, pain making me angry and almost feral.

“What the hell was that for?!” I snarled.

“To ensure your honesty.” Kurama answered coldly then his eyes narrowed, “I can come up with more creative methods if you prefer.”

I paled and shook my head wordlessly.

“Good. This plant is very attuned to your heart rate, your breathing. Should you lie to me, it will know and it will devour you from the inside. As you can imagine, this is not a quick death and it is very, very painful. It would be in your best interest to tell me the truth.”

“Yeah, about that…” I squeaked, “The truth is pretty crazy and unbelievable.”

“Well, you had best hope that I find it believable.”

A shudder of fear racked through me. My life depended on me being able to tell this story and make him believe it. I always did want to be a novelist but I didn’t really it want it to be under this kind of situation!

“Ok, well, it’s kind of a long story, so, um, can we sit down? Your plant is starting to make me dizzy…”

He nodded coolly and we made it to my living room. Kurama did not help me however, despite the fact that every step seemed to jar the vine burrowed into my flesh. This in turn sent waves of agony rushing through me. I sat gingerly on the couch, trying not to move my arm so much and Kurama propped himself up against the wall opposite of me, watching me with unwavering focus.

“So, to start this off, I’m not actually a fifteen year old girl. Well, I am in body but…how do I say this? I died. And I was reincarnated, I guess, into this world. In truth I’m actually thirty seven years old. Even if I don’t always act like it. I thought it was just a normal setting but then I saw you…In the life that I lived…you were… a character in a tv show…”

His eyes stayed cold but he raised a disbelieving brow.

“I told you it was pretty crazy!” I cried, “Ummmmm, lemme think of something to make my point. It’s been fifteen years since I saw it….Oh! So, you were a fox demon that went by the name of Youko. Um, I don’t know how old you are, I don’t think the show was ever clear on that. But one of your partners was Kuronue who died in a botched thievery and he carried some sort of pendant with him. I don’t remember what it does. And at one point your second in command was Yomi who was hot headed and would always jump ahead into thefts that he should have assessed more and got a bunch of men killed. You sent an assassin after him but in the end he only blinded him and now he’s one of the three kings of Demon World along with Raizen and Makuro and has been for about a thousand years. “

A muscle in Kurama’s face twitched. It was the only kind of hint I had that some of this might have been shocking to him.

“Um, you control plants but your primary weapon is your Rose Whip and you keep it as a normal rose underneath your hair. I think that’s all I’ve got right now…Look, I know it’s utterly insane sounding but Spirit World is supposed to be a complex network of worlds. If you could be reduced to spirit form and slip into human world, don’t you think it would be possible for a soul or spirit or whatever to make it’s way here and retain their memories? If it wasn’t at least a little true how would I know about all of this?”

Kurama was still silent but it was a silence that was engaged from him thinking about and processing all of the information that I had just told him. Oh please let him believe me. I looked down at the vine burrowed into my arm for extra measure, to show that I haven’t lied. And also to double check and make sure that it wasn’t burrowing deeper into my flesh. I then looked back to the red-head before me.

“It is evident you did not lie but there are some parts of your information that are incorrect.”

I blinked. I know it has been fifteen years since I last saw the show but still, I was pretty sure that I got it right. I practically worshipped the show so it wasn’t like me to get anything wrong. Even if it had been a long time since I had last seen it.

“What did I get wrong?”

“While you are correct, Yomi was my second in command and I sent an assassin after him, he only just recently came into his throne. Although he likely was building his power and followers for the last thousand years. The assassin was a test. I told him not to go, but he did not listen. Kuronue did not die, however…On that mission he volunteered to stay behind so the rest of our band could escape. We had assumed him dead for while before he returned. To my knowledge he is still alive.”

I KNOW those did not happen in the series. And yet…it was truth here. What the hell was going on?

“Ok, that’s weird…I know that didn’t happen in the series.”

“However, you do have information that you should not be privy to. Even Spirit World intelligence does not have that information. Which leads me to believe that there must be at least some truth to what you are saying.”

“Good!” I chirped, “Now can you get your demon plant out of me? It’s very painful and I don’t want to be eaten alive.”

He carefully advanced forward but I could see that he was still wary, that he still didn’t trust me. But I didn’t expect him to immediately. Kurama began to work carefully on removing the vine that was burrowed into my flesh. I hissed as it slowly receded and left nothing but open bleeding, wounds. I spit out another string of swear words in English and rushed to the kitchen to clean up the blood. When the water hit my open wounds, I nearly screeched in pain. I came back into the living room cradling my injured arm.

“So how am I going to explain this to people? Namely my father.” I demanded, annoyed that he had to inflict bodily harm upon me to determine whether I was lying or not. But I couldn’t fully blame him.

“According to what you told me, you are a grown woman. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”

“You’re such a gentleman.” I retorted, my words dripping with sarcasm, “So are you still going to teach me how to use Spirit Energy?”

He stopped, “Does this mean you knew about it all along?”

“Well, in a way, yes. I actually until recently had no idea where I was until…”

Kurama looked at me expectantly, “Until?”

“Until I saw you.” I answered, my cheeks flushing a bit red from embarrassment.

It’s even worse to admit that you were nearly forty years old and you fainted. That was just…pathetic. Kurama’s expression was one that was filled with mirth. The faintest hint of a smirk quirked at his mouth. It was an expression that both made me even more embarrassed and made me want to slap it off his face. Of course I would NEVER do the latter but the urge was still there.

“Ah, so you did faint because you were-“

“Oh my god, no!” I exclaimed cutting him off, “I totally fainted because I was in shock that I was in this world in the first place!”

His expression was amused –he seemed to be amused a lot with me, I’ll take it as a good thing- and doubtful.

“Ok, so it might have been a bit of fear too…”I grudgingly admitted, “But give me a break here! You’re a terrifying guy when you want to be! And I’m pretty sure you ate teen-aged girls for breakfast in your hay days. Or at least I’d believe it.”

Kurama snickered, whether it was from my reaction, the explanation or if there was truth behind it, I couldn't say. But I glared playfully at him and glared.

“Not to worry.” He said easily, “I can assure you I have not taken part in the activities of consuming humans.”

“Oh good.”

“However, my plants, I cannot promise you the same thing and still be truthful.”

“You just love yanking me out of my comfort zone, don’t you?” I deadpanned.

“But Midori,” He pointed out in an antagonizing manner, an infuriatingly mischievous smile on his face, “But you aren’t a teen-aged girl, so you have nothing to fear.”

“Yeah well considering that’s in mind only at this time, I think that’s a moot point. And you know it!”

A small smirk appeared on his face and I huffed.

“Can you just teach me about Spirit Energy, already?!” I exclaimed exasperatedly, “So I can use it on you….” I added softly.

“That would be ill advised.” He pointed out, still adopting a light-hearted tone, “You would find yourself very out matched.”

“Yeah, I got that much.”

I stuck my tongue out at him but Kurama was not affected by my childish display.

“First, let’s move to the living room, there’s more space and it will be easier to work.”

We relocated as he recommended and I found myself brimming with excitement. I was finally going to start making progress with my Spirit Energy! Just the idea of acquiring the ability to do things that weren’t even possible in my world was exhilarating. Kurama instructed me to sit down and I did so enthusiastically, ready to begin work on learning how to harness this mystical power at my fingertips.

“You were correct in assuming that meditation was key with working with your Spirit Energy. But it is more used as a way to ‘awaken’ it per say. Now that you have brought it to your mind’s attention, you need to work on harnessing it. Which, I’m afraid, is harder than discovering it.”

“Dammit….”

And here I thought the hardest part was over. Serves me right for getting my hopes up.

“Now you will need to meditate regularly to gain better control. The more your mind sees it, begins to associate where to pull it from, it will make it that much easier to access. Now let’s begin.”

Xxx

I regretted asking Kurama for help. Well, almost. He was intensely knowledgable and that was wonderful but he settled for nothing short of perfection. Whenever I tried to meditate, he would intentionally distract me, by say, tossing things at me, bumping up against me or speaking to me about theories and the like. When I finally snapped and demanded how he expected me to meditate with him continually distracting me, he retorted that I likely would not really get the luxury of being undisturbed in harnessing my energy.

“I’m beginning to think asking you for help was a bad idea…” I told him, opening one eye and giving an annoyed glare at the crumpled paper ball on the floor.

“You will rarely get the opportunity to have time to really focus on your Spirit Energy, I am merely preparing you now and having you learn this way first. It will be better for you in the long run.”

“You just want to throw things at me.” I retorted cantankerously.

“No. But I do consider it a bonus. You make it very easy to pick on you.”

It has been two weeks since we started this training. The scratches on my face had healed up but the bruise that had been on my cheek from that fight with that punk from Rugafuchi still was there. It had faded to that ugly yellow but it would be gone. Once Tou-san got home in two days, I could just say that I tripped and fell on my face. Easy cover.

The wounds made by Kurama’s plant were now thin scabs but I knew the injuries were still deep below them. Still if I wore a jacket or something, I could play it off and not have to explain it. But I KNEW there would be scars there. With the wounds that deep, I should have had stitches but that wasn’t an option.

I opted to throw the paper ball back at him instead of trying (failing) to meditate. Kurama easily caught it, ruffling my metaphorical feathers.
Am I not allowed to have just one hit on him? I blinked suddenly when the paper ball bounced off my forehead. With a laugh, I threw it back at him. He dodged it easily and glanced down at his watch.

“Ah, is that the time already, come we need to go.”

I blinked, “Go? Go where?”

“You will be eating dinner with us tonight.”

Even though it was Kurama, I was still irked that he didn’t even bother asking me.

“How do you know that I even can?” I pointedly asked.

The demon took a look around the empty house and then raised an eyebrow at me.

“Ok, ok, I see your point. But you couldn’t have just asked me?”

“My mother is eager to know who the girl is that I’ve been spending much of my time with of late. I’m not one to disappoint her.”

Wait, I was going to meet Kurama’s mother? This was strangely exciting and even…somewhat of an honor. He would not lightly introduce someone to his mother, whom he adored so much. He wouldn’t do that unless he felt that I wasn’t a threat. This perked me up instantly. I gave a big smile.

“Fair enough. Um, do I need to change or….”

I was still wearing my school uniform and I wasn’t sure if that would be appropriate. Kurama smiled.

“You are fine as you are. Come, let’s not keep her waiting.”

The sky was very clear and bright with dollops of cheerful white clouds. I was practically skipping down the side walk while Kurama kept at his leisurely pace a bit behind me. It was not lost on me how he didn’t seem to keep his eyes off me. Not in any sort of romantic way, but one who was very intently studying what was before them.

“What’s on your mind, Kurama?” I asked, walking backwards.

“You said that I was a character in that show of yours. I do think there may be some truth to it, since you had knowledge you should not have known. What role did I play?”

“You were definitely a main character. There were three other main characters as well. One of them you already know. Or at least, I think you do.”

I paused for a moment. Should I tell him? This was tricky territory and I don’t know what is safe for me to tell. I could drastically alter everything . I bite my lower lip in thought.

“Oh? And who is that?”

“Hiei.” I finally answered.

“You know of him, as well?”

“Oh yeah. Telepath, uses a katana, throw in hair like a traffic cone, Jagun-Jagin –******** it a third eye- a bad attitude and that should be him.” I stopped walking, “Er, don’t let him kill me, please. I don’t wanna die again.”

Kurama chuckled, “Yes, any death at Hiei’s hands will be an unpleasant one.”

“Death in general is unpleasant. I mean, afterwards, when your soul or spirit or whatever has separated from your body, there’s a never ending blackness. It’s like that the abyss is all there will ever be and you’ll only drift for eternity. No light, no air, no people, nothing. Just emptiness.”

I shuddered at the memory.

“I have a question, if I may.”

“Shoot.”

“How did you die?” Kurama inquired, “I realize that this may be an uncomfortable question for you…do not feel obligated to answer.”

“No…” I told him, “No it’s fine…I had asthma in my previous life. It was pretty mild especially in comparison to other people who had the disease. I was pretty dutiful about carrying my inhaler with me but one day I forgot it when I went to walk on a path through the woods. I caught a face full of mold which I was allergic too, and I had to worst luck to have allergy triggered asthma living in a state that had the highest allergen levels in the country. It triggered an attack. And I had no inhaler. Add in a dead cell phone –er a phone that is portable and runs on batteries- and out in the woods where not a lot of people frequent…well, it’s not pleasant dying from lack of oxygen.”

“I am sorry.”

“Don’t be. I suppose it’s what I get for forgetting my inhaler when I shouldn’t have. Anyways, I’m meeting your mother, huh? Does this mean we’re married now?”

Of course I was joking but Kurama gave me a devilish smirk.

“Are you implying that you want to be?”

“What? No!” I exclaimed, rubbing my temples, “God, way to ruin my joke, Kurama. I hope you’re happy.”

“Immensely.”

I glared playfully at him but it was short lived as we arrived in front of his house.

“This is it.” He told me and lead the way inside.

The house was neat and orderly. I would have been surprised if it was anything less, considering that Kurama was the one who lived there. It was a warm home, with pictures of Kurama and his mother –I forget her name- through out his life. I bent over a studied a picture of Kurama as a toddler and I gave a squeal.

“Awwww, is this you? You were so cute!”

He pinched the bridge of his nose, “Midori, you are wasting time.”

A wicked grin crossed my face.

“What’s the matter K-Suichi? Embarrassed by your toddler pictures?”

Kurama sighed, “My mother is waiting, Midori, please.”

“Ok, ok, I’ll let you off the hook this time.” I told him in a sing song voice.

“How relieved I am.”

His mother was in the kitchen, washing her hands, back to us. With how she had not turned or reacted, I was certain that she did not know that we were there.

“Mother, I’m home.” Kurama said.

She turned to face us then. I was almost stunned by how beautiful she was. And she was young. Based on her appearance she had to be in her mid to late thirties. A bright smile lit up her face when she saw the two of us and she dried her hands.

“Suichi, welcome home.” She turned her gaze to me, “And is this the girl you told me about? Midori?”
I bowed respectfully, “Yes, Minamino-san, I’m Midori. It’s a pleasure to meet you. Suichi speaks highly of you.”

The look in Kurama’s eyes when I rose was one of very mild, very hidden surprise along with approval. I don’t think he realized that I could be as eloquent and polite as I just was.

“Please, you don’t have to be so formal, call me Shiori.”

Ah, right. That was her name. I smiled widely at her.

“Ok, Shiori.”

She turned to Kurama, “She is not as talkative as you made her out to be.”

I flushed in embarrassment then, “The night’s still young. I’m sure that will come out.”

Shiori laughed weakly and that was when I began to notice some things that were wrong. Shiori was extraordinarily pale. Paler than what she should be. I could see sweat beading at her temple and she seemed to be trembling very finely. And, from what a could tell, her breathing seemed to be a bit ragged. I furrowed my brow, worried.

“You two go ahead and sit in the dining room. I’ll be there shortly.”

We did as she bade but as soon as we were out of the room I immediately turned to Kurama.

“Is your mother sick? She does not seem well at all.”

“She told me that she has begun to feel unwell this week but has thus far refused to see a doctor yet.”

I glanced back in the direction of the kitchen. And then it hit me. In the series, Kurama’s mother ended up in the hospital. And had been in a very critical state. I wanted to tell him immediately to take her to the hospital or a doctor but that would not do. Kurama’s need to cure his mother drove him to steal from Spirit World and as a result meet Yusuke and become integral to the storyline. I could severely alter the storyline. And that could make things end very, very bad.

“Just…keep an eye on her, ok?”

“I always do.” He told me serenely, “If she does not improve within a few days, I will make her go to the doctor.”

“Here we are!”

Shiori emerged into the dining room with two plates and set them on the table for Kurama and I. After a trip back to the kitchen to grab her own plate, she sat down with us and we began to eat. Enthusiastically, I took a bite and it was so wonderful. Shiori’s skills in the kitchen were outstanding and I was a bit jealous. In my first life I was inept at cooking. It wasn’t an enjoyable process for me so it wasn’t something I endeavored to be better at. But here, Tou-san had pretty much forced me to learn. Even with the few years under my belt cooking, I still was lacking in skills to cook a decent meal. It was edible but it certainly was not to this level.

“This is wonderful, Shiori!” I exclaimed after swallowing a mouthful of food.

Despite her seeming so exhausted and worn down, the compliment made her beam, “Thank you, Midori. That’s kind of you to say.”

“It is more than kindness, mother.” Kurama chimed in, “It’s truth.”

If Shiori looked happy before with my compliment, she was positively radiant at Kurama’s words. It gave me warm tingles. Even if that was an incredibly cheesy notion but it was still very sweet. The love that Shiori had for Kurama was so deep. It was no wonder he warmed up to her.
The dinner we had was pleasant and filled with idle chatter. Shiori seemed very happy for her son to have finally brought over a friend. I would imagine that hasn’t happened often in Kurama’s life span.

“I have a dessert for us too.” Shiori said, rising to her feet, heading towards the kitchen, “It’s…it’s…”

“Mother?”

Shiori swayed and suddenly crumpled to the floor. I shot up from my seat but Kurama got there first. Immediately he rested two fingers against her throat right over the Jugular.

“She has no pulse…”
Holy crap! Don't die Shiori-san!

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
KayaKit
Holy crap! Don't die Shiori-san!

I'm glad this chapter was riveting for you. <3

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Chapter 7

“Move!” I hissed and shoved him aside, “Call an ambulance.”

I double checked and as Kurama said, there was no pulse. Adrenaline coursing through me, I tilted back Shiori’s head how I was trained when I became CPR certified when I was twenty. I pinched the bridge of her nose, I pressed my mouth to hers and blew, forcing her lungs to expand. I drew back and inhaled and then gave her another rescue breath. In the background I could hear Kurama talking on the phone but I wasn’t paying overly attention to what he was saying.

I rested the bottom of my right palm against her sternum and clutched my left hand around the right one, my fingers intertwining. I then pushed down approximately two inches and began a steady rhythm. The CPR that you see in movies and shows are incorrect, you can’t just wildly do chest compressions. Rhythm is key. The point of CPR is to either revive the person or keep their blood moving until help gets there with the ability to revive them.

“One, two, three, four, five-“

“Yes, that’s correct. Please have them hurry.”

By the time I hit thirty and gave her two more rescue breaths, I was starting to feel tired. CPR is surprisingly tiresome and takes a lot of strength. You wouldn't think so but it is deceptive in the seemingly simplistic actions needed. But I pushed on into the second set of chest compressions, being careful to keep the rhythm.

“Come on. Come on, Shiori. Come on, you can do this.”

After two more rescue breaths, I launched into the third set of chest compressions. When I got to the tenth, Shiori sprang to life, taking a deep desperate gasp of air, eyes wide. Her heart was beating again, but she was shivering and confused. She likely was disoriented and unsure of where she was, what was going on. I grabbed her hand in comfort and looked into her face.

“Shiori, it’s ok. Just breathe for me, ok? In…” I took a slow breath in, “And out…”I exhaled.

She shakily followed my direction.

“Good…In…and out…in…and out…In…and out…”

Shiori steadied her breathing but she still looked confused, disoriented. I looked down at my watch.

“Shiori, the time is 7:59 pm. Today is October 11 on a Thursday. You are at home and we have help on the way.”

The fear that she had in her eyes, knowing that something was wrong but not knowing what it was stabbed to my heart. I couldn’t give her comfort.

“Suichi, swap with me.” I told Kurama seriously, “She needs you, I’ll take the phone.”

I didn’t have to tell him twice. Had he moved any faster and I think he would have utterly destroyed the force of gravity forever.

“Keep her calm.” I informed him.

Kurama didn’t say anything but nodded sagely and knelt down by Shiori taking her hand in his.

“It’s alright mother, I’m here. There’s an ambulance on its way now.”

I could see that Shiori was gripping her son with a very tight grip, fearful of what was happening to her. Her hand was shaking fiercely. The time it took for the ambulance to arrive had been about ten minutes but it felt like years. The paramedics loaded her into the ambulance, leaving Kurama and I at the house.

“Let’s go. We’ll need to catch a train to get to the hospital.” Kurama said.

Xxx

By “catch a train” Kurama meant running nearly a mile to the station. By the time we reached the train, I nearly keeled over. Sure I had been taking Judo for a while but that was nowhere on par to that kind of cardio. When we arrived at the hospital, we were informed that Shiori had been taken into the ER. After nearly two hours of tense waiting in silence, a doctor came and brought us to her room, now in critical care.

“You are the patient’s son? I’m Doctor Keisuke. Your mother is…not doing well. We’ve monitored her organ function and while most of it is normal, her heart is not. She is suffering from Arrhythmia. Most cases aren’t this bad but hers has developed to the point that it had led to sudden cardiac arrest. We are going to do everything that we can to treat her but she is in a very serious state right now.”

I knew a little about Arrhythmia. It was a disease where the heart rhythm is abnormal. It seems like such a small, menial thing but it is actually very crucial to your body to maintain the rhythm because that is how the blood is circulated properly. The doctor turned to me then.

“I was informed that a young woman performed CPR on this patient. Was that you?”

“Yes sir.” I replied politely, glancing over at Shiori who was unconscious in bed.

“You should know that you saved this woman’s life. It would have been highly unlikely that the paramedics would have been able to save her.”

Stunned by the information I just received, I sat slowly down into a nearby chair while Kurama asked more and more questions. I had performed CPR one other time in my life and it was a bit unnerving. Having someone clinically dead beneath your hands reminds you of how fragile you really are. Granted I had already died once but it still could be easy to forget that it could happen again.

“Midori.”

I snapped my head up, breaking free of my thoughts to look up at Kurama.

“Thank you. You saved my mother’s life…”

Dismissively, I waved my hand, “It’s ok. What was I supposed to do? Just let her die?”

“You could have.” He told me, “If you had been an enemy like I originally thought you to be. And then strike at me in a moment of weakness.”

“Nah. I like to watch my victims suffer…” I joke weakly, “…Ok, that was horrible. Sorry, I tried.”

Kurama was unimpressed by the joke but he at least seemed to appreciate the gesture.

“You can go home now, Midori. My mother is now within access of care, you do not have to stay.”

“I would like to wait until she wakes up.” I refused, leaning back in the chair.

“That may not even happen tonight. It is a school night, you should get some rest.”

I was fully prepared to keep up this argument but it occurred to me that Kurama probably did not want me here. This was his mother, who was very ill. Company may not be what he wants. I look up at him.

“Do you want me to go? It’s ok if you do.”

“I would appreciate it if I could spend time with my mother alone.”

I nodded and rose from my seat. The motion suddenly reminded me how late it was and how tired I was. It would be nice to settle into my bed rather than an uncomfortable armchair.

“I’ll see you at school then. Whenever you next come. No one will fault you for missing tomorrow. If you want I can even tell the office why you are absent.”

“That will not be necessary. Thank you, Midori.”

“See you. Get some sleep, yeah?”

Xxxx

It was strange walking to school the next morning without chatting with Kurama. Still, I was happy that he chose to stay with his mom. She wasn’t doing too well and I knew he would want to watch over her. A part of me felt guilty for not saying anything to him sooner. This was his mother but if her condition had somehow been prevented, that could have changed a lot of the storyline. I know that if the team had not had Kurama, they would not have won the Dark Tournament. And even if by some miracle the team did survive, that left Sensui to contend with, not to mention Sakyo might have lived which meant that the next demonic apocalypse would have been knocking on our door.

Call me a stick in the mud but I really do not want to be ducking for cover from man eating demons. I’m just picky that way.
But it was not until this day that I realized just how much the female student body loathed me. If the looks I were getting were hatred before when Kurama was around, then they were pure loathing now and likely all of those girls were plotting my assassination. Never before in my life (er lives) had I seen so much resentment from so many people. And I had never been the center of such distaste.

‘It’s going to be like this every time Kurama’s absent, isn’t it?’ I lamented inwardly.

The answer was made clear to me when a girl named Kaoru cornered me in the bathroom. I was not looking forward to this. I could handle a little petty fifteen year old but that didn’t mean I was going to enjoy it.

“Well look who finally took her claws out of poor Suiichi-kun. Did he finally need to take a break from you? Did he find someone better?”

“We talk with each other and you automatically assume we’re romantically involved? That’s silly.”

“Oh, now you’re lying? You are the only person Suiichi-kun has spent time with!”

I gave her an annoyed expression, “Are you telling me that you have been watching him?”

“Of course! Suiichi-kun is my love, it’s impossible not to watch him!”

The level of obsession these girls had was…pathetic really. A boy they had never even had a conversation with and they were so enamored with him. It was like the celebrity worship that happened in my first life. Only worse. I’m pretty sure not many people resorted to that extreme behavior in my time. Granted there were still some of the freaks but still, this was more extreme than expected.

“That’s really pathetic. It’s also sad that he’s absent for a day and you assume that he’s not friends with me anymore. He has his reasons and perhaps if he thinks you are important enough to know, he’ll tell you if you ask him.”

That was a very intentional barb that I spoke. While it didn’t sound aggressive, I knew that Kurama would never divulge such information to her. And I knew that Kaoru was aware of this. That sentence was intentionally spoken to remind her that Kurama was not close to her. And it worked. I could see a touch of hurt in her eyes but mostly anger. Kaoru shoved me back and I stumbled.

“I’ll give you another bruise to match the one on your face.”

My eyes grew cold, “Try it…if you saw Fumiko at all or her boy toy from Rugafuchi, then you should know not to ******** with me.”

I saw a shudder roll through her and I pushed her back and away from me. It felt really fulfilling to show her just how insignificant she was. That seems horrible but she was the one starting a petty fight over a boy. Not to mention, I was feeling guilty over the fact that I couldn’t say anything to Kurama about his mom being sick. That guilt was making me more testy and on edge.

Not to mention I was always wondering if she would make a recovery. In the anime she lived because Kurama managed to get his hands on the Forlorn Hope. But things have already been shown to have differences here. It was possible that Shiori may die. If she did pass, how different would Kurama be then?

I made my way towards the bathroom door but paused before leaving.

“Just stay out of my way. I don’t care if you want to date Suiichi or whatever, but I’m tired of getting trouble from bitches like you for no other reason than talking to him. Continue to harass me and it will not be pretty.”

Still, I couldn’t get over the fact that I was threatening middle school girls. How far I had fallen. The day was overall uneventful other than the venomous glare and the confrontation with Kaoru in the bathroom. I was getting bored with going to school. Everything was completely uninteresting, never mind the fact that I had done this before, but I was ready to become involved with the team. I wanted to battle evil or whatever else came our way.

The point was I was already sick of dealing with menial, immature teenagers who seemed to think that their entire lives revolved around a single boy crush. How did my parents not murder me when I was this age? Not that I ever recall being lovestruck but I’m fairly certain that I had a similar attitude overall. My parents must have had either an astonishing amount of love for me or had a tremendous amount of self control. Maybe both.

I quickly left the school and headed straight for the hospital. I really wanted to check on Shiori, even if I barely knew her. She was unbelievably nice from what little I saw of her. And I think it would have taken a very special woman to earn Kurama’s unwavering loyalty and even love. And on that note, I wanted to see my foxy friend as well. When I did make it to the hospital and into Shiori’s room, Kurama was seated in a chair next to his slumbering mother.

I open my mouth to say something but I never had the chance to speak.

“Good afternoon, Midori. How was your day?”

The surprise that he knew it was me rolled over me. Honestly, I shouldn’t have been considering he was a demon but I still did not expect him to know it was me. I enter the room, bag over my shoulder and pull up the other chair and sit next to him.

“How did you know it was me?”

Knowing Kurama and his habit of being sassy towards me, I fully expected him to be vague and not really give me an answer. Just to tease me. He would do it. But my prediction was not correct when he smiled at my shock.

“By your smell.”

“But I didn’t wear any perfume.” I pointed out.

“You didn’t have to. I have a…keener sense of smell than humans do.”

Ah right. The foxy side of him. Pun not intended. Then I suddenly found myself feeling self conscious on if I smelled terrible or not. I might even smell offensive to him or something. But then again, I don’t think he would hang around if I reeked.

“Do not worry.” He continued with amusement “You have a pleasant scent.”

“How did you-“

“You are not as much of a closed book as you seem to think.”

Holy s**t, he was good! Did he always know what I was thinking? Or was this just one of the times that he was able to get a good understanding of my facial expression and thought processes?

“I guess only to someone who’s had a few thousand years of experience.” I smirked faintly, “So how’s she doing?”

I could tell that Kurama was bothered by the state of his mother because he had not been teasing me when he had a few opportunities to really let me have it.

“Not well. She’s only been awake a few times today. The doctors are still trying to stabilize her.”

The mood turned somber really quick after that statement. I must admit that I had hoped that Shiori would have been stabilized at least. But I suppose if she had stabilized, Kurama wouldn’t eventually turn to seeking out the Forlorn Hope. But what would happen if she didn’t survive? Kurama would have nothing really tying him to humanity then.

“I’m sorry.” I told him.

“Don’t be.” He looked at me then, “You saved her life. I owe you a great deal.”

In a cheesy setting, this would be the point where someone would ruin Kurama’s character by writing him making romantic notions and gestures. Of course nothing like that happened. My demon friend seemed nothing but grateful for me saving his mother but it certainly wasn’t about to earn me a kiss or anything. Wait. Why am I even thinking at all about Kurama kissing me at all? That’s just silly, especially since I barely know him. More specifically, why did the idea of such a gesture make me feel a bit tingly? Sure Kurama was attractive but I’ve met attractive men before and was just fine.
Oh wait. I had hormones again. Son of a b***h! This realization made me want to slam my head against a wall. Hormones were so annoying and made it almost impossible to think clearly the first time around!

Now they decide that they want to go, “Hey! Kurama’s pretty hot. You know you want to kiss him!”

‘Shut up, hormones! I am on an important mission!’ I thought.

This was a disaster. If this turns into some crappy love tale, I’m flipping a table. Preferably with people seated at said table but I won’t be picky. Kurama arched a brow at my expression before I was forced to laugh awkwardly to brush it off.

“Eh, sorry. Anyways, did you want me to pick up your homework on Monday?” I asked him, evading the unspoken question about my facial expression.

“That won’t be necessary. I will be back in school by then.” Kurama answered simply.

“Are you sure? I mean, no one will think less of you or anything if you wanted to stay here with your mom…”

“I am certain. There is nothing I can do here and we did already speak earlier. I feel she might be quite cross if she finds out I stayed out of school a second day.”

“Alright, if you say so…” I agree reluctantly, “Anyways, I need to go before it starts getting dark and do my homework. I don’t need to get behind anymore.”

“Very well. Be safe. And we will continue our lessons tomorrow.”

The expression I gave him was not amused but still playful, “You just want to torment me to make yourself feel better.”

He smirked faintly, “It does hold a certain appeal.”

“Ugh, fine! But don’t ever say I’m not a good friend. I’ll let you divulge in your sadistic tendencies just to feel better. Good night, Suiichi.”

“Good night.”

The sun was still well into the sky, so I was aware that the excuse I gave was a little weak, but I really felt like I would be intruding upon a very personal moment with Kurama as he tended to his mother. Although, I really did need to catch up on homework. It seemed that I still hadn’t completely lost my horrible habit of procrastination from my first life.

The afternoon was a lazy one. Peaceful. That is until the air was pierced by the loud screeching of tires and the solid meaty thud of a car colliding with a body. My head snapped over to the right to see a young teen-aged boy dressed in green roll over the windshield of a red car and crumple to the pavement. A few feet away from him was a small boy, skin highlighted with a few scrapes.

Wait.

That was Yusuke! This was the car accident that killed him and made him a ghost! And that was the little boy he saved from getting hit by a car. It was getting harder to see as more and more people crowded around the area, pushing in front of me but where they were all horrified, I was excited. This was the starting point of something exciting.

It’s finally begun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces