Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Poster

3,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Trader 100
♪ Sing Mockingjay, Sing ♪

The main character is June, from district four. I'm working on it, but I'm not far. Here is Chapter One/Prologue (haven't decided) so please tip my post if you like it. PM critique and post what you like and what you'd like to see. You can create a character, and I might just use it. Just PM me. Want to see something that wasn't in the official hunger games? Just tell me. Love triangles will be in this series, along with one-sided crushes, goats, and more.

Want updates? Ask. I'll link you to the official Google Document I'm using to work on this.

Like my writing? Invite me to a writing or role playing guild. I can give you some tips, but I'm not really a teacher, so you may not learn what you were hoping to.

I don't have any other writings, really. I can write more, of course. I love Naruto and Pokemon and Harvest Moon, for starters. I also know the Hunger Games well, since I wrote this fanfiction and read all the books the Summer before anyone knew of the movie.

Oh, and my account was banned earlier today (8-24-12) so this is my mule. I lost two million in gold and items, so I'm working hard to get it back. I made this account after school when I figured it out. Any help with gold would be nice. I'm currently fighting for my account.

Add me!

Friendly Poster

3,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Trader 100
♪ Sing Mockingjay, Sing ♪

June reeled in the large bass. She wasn’t very happy about it, though. Today was the worst day of the year. Reaping. She had awful luck, and she could actually tell she was almost chosen last year. She was fourteen this year. More entries. What could be worse? She was turning fifteen in three hours! Would she be counted as fourteen, or fifteen?

The Calico kitten, Caillie, mewed to June beggingly. June shook her head. “Now, now, Caillie. We have to use every fish we catch and turn it into the district. This isn’t my property, Caillie. We are the fishing district, and it is that awful day. If I get caught giving this to you, they might add mo-” Caillie leapt on to June and took the fish and dismounted off of June.

June was about to scold her, but she thought otherwise as the large bell rang, warning everyone that they need to get ready for the Reaping. June got up with a sigh, lifting her fishing bucket with her. A large rainbow trout was in there, along with some algae. June didn’t like it when she reeled in algae, but she never got scolded for it. The entire fourth district can’t figure out what the capitol does with the algae, since the capitol always sends peacemakers to tell them they aren’t performing their duties whenever they send in something the capitol doesn’t want. June remembered when the capitol sent in a messenger to make sure she ate some slop for dinner when she sent in a small coral because she thought it was a coral carp.

The bell rang again, shattering June’s train of thought. She shivered as she shuffled up the small, but steep hill. Caillie didn’t seem to find it difficult to climb, but then again, Caillie was a cat. June was about to compliment Caillie, but she tripped immediately. June got up to her knees, disgusted by the mud on her clothes. She could run through mud like it was a downhill hill she running down. However, mud on her clothes was not pleasing. She shoved a cake of mud off of her lap quickly, annoyed. As she turned to see the rock that caused the crime, she saw something different. It was catching the sun, mirroring its brightness like the water. June got closer to it to realize it was a small bracelet. June lifted it up with a smile, and then a curious line. The bracelet had words engraved in it:

“The Mockingjay will sing, and the freedom bell will ring.”

June didn’t understand it, but she found it strangely comforting. It rhymed and seemed like something live by. June was unsure of what a Mockingjay was, since the capitol removed all birds from district four because they used to steal fish. So, June didn’t know much about birds at all. She just knew the capitol was very mean to them, because, surely, they need something eat as well, and it is easier to take then it is to hunt.

June heard her mom calling her to the house, so June hurried over, the bracelet in her deep pocket. As she entered the house, her mom, continuing to usher her into the house, started mumbling worriedly. “Bad luck....fifteen....June....fourteen...” June could only pick up bits and pieces, but she could tell her mother was thinking like she was.

Mother smiled. “June, I got your clothes ready,” she said without worrying or noticing June’s muddy clothes. “Just get on ready and I’ll give you some hugs on your way out.”

June frowned. That didn’t cheer her up. She knew her mom was avoiding saying goodbye, so she had to say hugs instead.

۩ ۞۩ ۞۩ ۞۩ ۞۩ ۞۩

June hugged her mom tightly, her light blue dress shivering. Her mom sniffled, trying, but failing, to hide her tears. June opened her mouth to say something comforting, but her voice failed her. This was too difficult. This whole day was too hard. How could she even attempt to lie? It would only make it worse for herself, because she would know that she was lying to herself, which would make everything only seem much, much worse.

“I love you,” her mother said, but June was too numb to hear. She hugged her one more time, and then left the house with a somber feeling upon her.

A petite, but unpleasant lady stood on stage. She was wearing a bright, bright orange as her outfit. She had a large orange hat, which was obnoxious over her small head. Her face was powdered to a ghostly white, while she had bright orange eye makeup and lipstick. She had a large orange purse by her side, which did not compliment her outfit. It was a dark orange, while her fish-tail gown was a light orange. A kid beside June whispered to himself, “Let’s hope the sun doesn’t get angry that something is more orange and bright then it is,” and June had to chuckle. The kid was a quiet boy in school, and he was very good at catching fish. He did not use a fishing rod, but rather his hands. He never got rewarded, but he has never been punished. The capitol obviously likes hand fishing.

The obnoxiously orange lady on stage stepped up to the microphone, her high heels clicking. The lady cleared her throat, and then spoke into the microphone. “Welcome to the seventy-second annual Hunger Games!” She made a wide gesture with her arm for emphasis. “One lucky male, and one lucky female will be chosen for this year. The tributes will go to the capitol with me..” A few guys in the fifteen year old area started giggling and saying something in reply, which caused the surrounding crowd to chuckle. “Because of this disrespect, I’ll do the men first.” The guys became somber in that area.

The obnoxious lady put her hand into the bowl. The crowd seemed to become like stone as they waited. The lady lifted her hand with a perfect piece of paper. “Cameron Bishop!”

The kid that had made the funny comment jumped back a little. June frowned. Cameron was a cute, quiet guy, but he was also too funny to go. Dang, if only June was a boy. She’d volunteer. June grabbed Cameron’s hand as the peacemakers made their way to him. “Good luck. If I could, I would take your place.”

Cameron grinned. “Thanks, that is pretty nice.” He smiled in a charming way to June, right before he was dragged away to go up stage. June could only frown.

The obnoxious orange woman smiled like he was a famous star getting to hang with a bunch of other famous kids. She left the smile short-lived, for she put her hand in the bowl again. She lifted two pieces of paper. “Hmm. The first one is Dakota Souline.” A pretty girl stomped her foot, angry. June remembered her from last year. Dakota was a very popular girl. She was mean to other girls, so this was well-deserved. The obnoxious lady spoke again. “The second says June Patterson.” June gasped at her name, but realized she wasn’t to be chosen, for Dakota was chosen first. The announcer only said her name so June would feel good for Dakota, but from everyone else’s point of view, June would feel lucky.

Dakota was being pulled, but once she got to the stairs, she yelled in protest. “Not fair! June was counted as fourteen, but she turned fifteen six minutes ago!”

The crowd gasped, and June felt like dissolving. Could she be forced into being a tribute because of that? The peacekeepers returned Dakota as the obnoxious lady spoke. “Well, because of this, June, you are, by default, the female tribute of district four.”

June could have sworn the sky was caving in because the world went black and spun for three minutes, and when she could focus, she was on stage. Everyone made the friendly symbol for good luck with their hands to June and Cameron. District four had its own secret language. The children perfected it years ago, and once the parents learned it, they all used it. No one else was aware of the district, and not even the obnoxious woman on stage was thinking anything of the hand signal. Of course, June questioned her intelligence, so June felt it was out of the question for her to realize anything.

The obnoxious lady held up the arm closest to her of June and Cameron, acting like they were famous heroes. She smiled to them and announced into the mic, “There you have it, folks. June and Cameron are district four’s tributes! I, Liza, will take these tributes to the capitol!”

June whispered to Liza, “What about a mentor?”

Liza giggled. “Oops, almost forgot.” She sounded like it was a joke, but it was June and Cameron’s life that was on the line. “Kane? Kane?” Liza scoured the crowd, looking for the young man. “Kane!” She shouted into the microphone. A twenty-six year old man stepped out. He looked a little tired, but mellow. He was quite tall for his age, but June couldn’t figure out his height. He was wearing a long blue shirt and brown cargo shorts with brown flip-flops.

He waited at the right of the stage; where June and Cameron were supposed to leave and go to the train. June felt disbelief fall onto her. How was this mellow guy supposed to help them win the Hunger Games?

Friendly Poster

3,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Trader 100

Friendly Poster

3,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Trader 100
Laura Midori
{ Bump }