Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Lunatic

Hannah Yeager
The Drunken Jester
Editing = my hell. So I don't do it for fanfiction.

This is why you pay the Grammar Nazis to do that for you. twisted

They can be bribed with items and gold, so if editing isn't your strong point, just hire several to do it for you. ninja mrgreen

That's not what I need a Beta for really. My grammar my not be spot on, but for the most part it doesn't need correcting.
What I'd really like out of a Beta, if ever I have one, it would be for things like telling me which scenes could use an actual change and where they'd like to see the story going and etc....
And also motivation to continue the story. If I have someone hounding me for the next chapter I'd be more likely to get it out.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
The Drunken Jester
What I'd really like out of a Beta, if ever I have one, it would be for things like telling me which scenes could use an actual change and where they'd like to see the story going and etc....

So, basically a creative editor. Like they have on long-running TV shows and franchise movies.

I'd like one of those myself.

Tipsy Lunatic

Renkon Root
The Drunken Jester

So, basically a creative editor. Like they have on long-running TV shows and franchise movies.

I'd like one of those myself.

Yeah.

You see, I'm pretty darn good at coming up with the intital ideas. And maaaaybe where it's going in the long run, maybe. But then I sometimes come up with weird ideas that don't fit in with my characterizations of people. I need someone to tell me when it doesn't work.
Plus I'd really just like a collaborator sometimes.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
The Drunken Jester

I believe you can look for some of those types of Betas/Editors in the Writing Shops sub-forum of the Mini Shops Forum. You just have to be careful of who you hire and their creds.

It'll take some searching, but I do believe you can get those type of services on Gaia.

Anxious Browser

10,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I'm going to be honest right here and say I've never even acknowledged the beta function on FF.net for the longest time. On the side note, I think after a few more chapter updates for my stories, I'm going to be more active in reviewing other people's stories. I've been so wrapped up in writing my own that I stopped doing that. In fact, I had done literally two reviews a couple of months ago and I got some responses from the author themselves who took my feedback rather well. It actually made me kind of proud that I helped one of them shaped their stories for the better.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Someone tried to tell me I misspelled my own penname. LOL

WhoGivesAFox's Senpai

Sparkly Otaku

16,625 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Anyone here a True Blood fan?

I created a fanfiction that's a UK version of the show. New characters and everything!

It's still in progress but I'm quite proud of it so far.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8705657/1/True-Blood-UK

Tipsy Lunatic

I wish more people liked the fandoms I like.

I am the only person - on the whole of the internet as far as I can tell via Google - to have Written a David/Geraldine fanfiction for The Vicar of Dibley.

Whyyyyy? I know there's at least a small demand for it.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
As far as fandoms... no. Not really. I've been a member of some pretty small fandoms like Fatal Fury/KOF and Golion. But they're small, not near non-existant.

I HAVE, however, wished that more people besides myself liked certain pairs, tropes or themes from a fandom. For example, in Golion, there were plenty of people who supported the Sincline/Fala pairing same as me. But nobody wrote them the way they should have been written. Sincline is a psychotic, womanizing little ******** with an Oedipus Complex who's projected his desires for his dead mommy onto Fala. Fala, meanwhile is the pure-hearted and naive "virgin" princess who only wants to protect her people. Any relationship between them would be dark, complicated, messy and just all around ********. But most people who wrote for them made them out to be more like Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

But at least in Golion, there were other people who liked the same pair as me, even if they didn't like the same themes.

In Fatal Fury/KOF I was the only, the ONLY author who wrote for the Andy/Mai pair. Forget common themes and tropes for the pair. I was the only one who liked the pair at all. I think there was one author who wrote a one-shot for them about six years before I joined the fandom and then promptly disappeared. But aside from that, just me. All by my lonesome. With no fictions to read but my own and that ONE random one-shot.

Tipsy Lunatic

I have never heard of Golion, but I feel your pain. That feeling of "You're doing it WRONG you stupid fandom!" was what inspired both my Wreck-It Ralph fanfic and my new Charlie Brown fanfic.

And in the Fatal Fury/KOF situation you quite literally described my Vicar of Dibley situation... only I don't even have a little oneshot. I just have to do it myself.

I feel like the internet is too big for this to be happening and that Google has just failed me.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
The Drunken Jester
I feel like the internet is too big for this to be happening and that Google has just failed me.

Ya know, it may not be Google that's failed.

This didn't occur to me until just recently, but before the internet became widely used and certainly before the advent of ff.n fan fictions were still published in fan magazines. I know I have a few copies of a Star Wars fan-made magazines that feature a couple of fan fictions. (They weren't called 'fan fictions' but that's what they were.) Since then, I tried to find those same stories online and haven't been able to.

Now, I haven't read the Vicar of Dibley, but I assume its a book. Possibly written in the Victorian or Edwardian period? Either way, its fandom will not only be small, but probably older than the internet. So, perhaps someone has written a fan fiction for it and simply published in another medium, such as a college creative writing anthology, or indi-periodical, or something like that.

Tipsy Lunatic

Renkon Root
The Drunken Jester

Ya know, it may not be Google that's failed.

This didn't occur to me until just recently, but before the internet became widely used and certainly before the advent of ff.n fan fictions were still published in fan magazines. I know I have a few copies of a Star Wars fan-made magazines that feature a couple of fan fictions. (They weren't called 'fan fictions' but that's what they were.) Since then, I tried to find those same stories online and haven't been able to.

Now, I haven't read the Vicar of Dibley, but I assume its a book. Possibly written in the Victorian or Edwardian period? Either way, its fandom will not only be small, but probably older than the internet. So, perhaps someone has written a fan fiction for it and simply published in another medium, such as a college creative writing anthology, or indi-periodical, or something like that.

I laughed very VERY hard at this.
I can only assume you're basing your assessment on the title and maybe my little snippet of a fanfic posted in the forums if you read it.
EDIT: Also I feel like maybe my avatar has influenced this assumption. Now that I think about it.
The Vicar of Dibley is a British Comedy that, I thiiiink, started in the late 90s. Maybe even early 2000s. It's about a backwater country town in England (their version of hillbillies practically) that end up getting a woman Vicar. Netflix has the entire series if you're interested. Very funny if you like british comedy.
But it hardly fits into the category of 'pre-internet fandoms' and etc...
Also, it seems to have a decent sized fandom. It's just that there isn't a whole lot of fanfiction, and what there is only deals with the canon pairing.

Though, thinking about what you said, I've had some experiences like what you've described. There's a book I rather like called "Johnny Got His Gun". It's practically the originator of the trope "I have no mouth, but I must scream". Lovely book, rather widely known, but there is absolutely NO fanfiction of it on the internet.
Only some fanfics that take the idea it's based around and use it for some other fandom.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
The Drunken Jester
(their version of hillbillies practically) that end up getting a woman Vicar. Netflix has the entire series

I MUST WATCH THIS THING!!!

Tipsy Lunatic

Renkon Root
The Drunken Jester
(their version of hillbillies practically) that end up getting a woman Vicar. Netflix has the entire series

I MUST WATCH THIS THING!!!

YES!
And then you can tell me I'm right about David/Geraldine. Or at least right about the lack of fanfiction being a sin.

Wheezing Gekko

3,725 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
((My account got banned over some stupid s**t that happened months back. Its Lethal Trinity on a mule... Just need my forty acres now. Hahaha. Anyways. Still plugging away at the fan fiction. Almost done the the Alchemist Legacy))

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff