Welcome to Gaia! ::

Heroic Sentai

16,150 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Self-incert? Hm...

I seem to enjoy being either a mentor-type character to either my favorite character(s), or the offspring of my favorite pairing. I don't think I've ever actually written a story like that (I'm a little prejudice against OCs), but when I think of OCs in my head, those are the two most common tropes I use/create.

Anxious Browser

9,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Oh, man, I always hyperventilate when I update my stories. I rarely ever get reviews, so I'm always constantly worrying that they're never good enough. If people gave me one review for every chapter I did, I would be content with myself. Sadly, that's the life of an amateur writer. Have to keep improving myself.

Tipsy Man-Lover

Wings Of Reparation
Oh, man, I always hyperventilate when I update my stories. I rarely ever get reviews, so I'm always constantly worrying that they're never good enough. If people gave me one review for every chapter I did, I would be content with myself. Sadly, that's the life of an amateur writer. Have to keep improving myself.

i don't put much stock in reviews.
Usually I obsessively stalk the viewcount. I think I've probably done a good job if people are still reading after about 5 chapters.

Anxious Browser

9,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The Drunken Jester
Wings Of Reparation

i don't put much stock in reviews.
Usually I obsessively stalk the viewcount. I think I've probably done a good job if people are still reading after about 5 chapters.

Oh! I do that too! And I check to see who favorite/alert my stories. Still, there's this one story I have where there are four people fav'ing it, yet only one of them leaves a review. Same thing goes for people who add my stories to their alert. Six in one story and no reviews from any of them. ;-;

Dapper Grabber

6,050 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Partygoer 500
I had a nervous/weird reaction the other day when I posted to a new fandom.

I panicked 'what if they don't like it?' 'what if they all look down their noses at my work' blah blah blah.

I hadn't felt worried this much since I posted my very first Star Wars fanfic in a mailing group.

And to really work the nerves it was the first time I attempted a romance story. sweatdrop eek

I think it went well, a few favourites and a couple of reviews.

Tipsy Man-Lover

GeekyTanta
I had a nervous/weird reaction the other day when I posted to a new fandom.

I panicked 'what if they don't like it?' 'what if they all look down their noses at my work' blah blah blah.

I hadn't felt worried this much since I posted my very first Star Wars fanfic in a mailing group.

And to really work the nerves it was the first time I attempted a romance story. sweatdrop eek

I think it went well, a few favourites and a couple of reviews.

That's exceptionally well. Unless, I guess, it's a really fast paced fandom with lots of of stories. Then it's just pretty good.
Most of the stories I write don't get a lot of action in the first couple of chapters. But some of the things I write for a pretty obscure nowadays. Arthur, Gargoyles, Vicar of Dibley.....
It makes me feel like I need to go more mainstream sometimes.

Dapper Grabber

6,050 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Partygoer 500
The Drunken Jester
That's exceptionally well. Unless, I guess, it's a really fast paced fandom with lots of of stories. Then it's just pretty good.
Most of the stories I write don't get a lot of action in the first couple of chapters. But some of the things I write for a pretty obscure nowadays. Arthur, Gargoyles, Vicar of Dibley.....

Well it was a Bourne Legacy fic in the Bourne series movie section, so no not that busy as a rule.

It was just a real 'throwing yourself out there and exposing your inner psyche' sort of reaction for me I suppose.

I guess maybe we don't really realise how much of ourselves we put into stories sometimes until someone else reads it. lol

Tipsy Man-Lover

GeekyTanta
The Drunken Jester

Well it was a Bourne Legacy fic in the Bourne series movie section, so no not that busy as a rule.

It was just a real 'throwing yourself out there and exposing your inner psyche' sort of reaction for me I suppose.

I guess maybe we don't really realise how much of ourselves we put into stories sometimes until someone else reads it. lol

I can sort of understand that.
I mean.... I almost never think about it, but I can understand it. It's stopped me from doing more than one fanfic that I've had ideas for.

Dapper Grabber

6,050 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Partygoer 500
The Drunken Jester
GeekyTanta

I mean.... I almost never think about it, but I can understand it. It's stopped me from doing more than one fanfic that I've had ideas for.

Was it a case of you wrote it but never posted or did you not even attempt to write the fic?

We all seem to have such fragile writer's egos lol Sometimes I think reviewers/critics forget that.

Tipsy Man-Lover

GeekyTanta
The Drunken Jester
GeekyTanta

Was it a case of you wrote it but never posted or did you not even attempt to write the fic?

We all seem to have such fragile writer's egos lol Sometimes I think reviewers/critics forget that.

Let's just say I have a lot of half written vignettes that could be fanfics stuffed away in my notebooks.

Heroic Sentai

16,150 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
GeekyTanta

I don't think its that they "forget" exactly. But that they just don't think about it. I know that when I review, I'm not thinking about the author's self-esteem or how my review will make them feel, I'm thinking about what I just read. What I liked about it, what I didn't like, what I think should be changed/can be improved, etc. If my comments discourage them from writing, well then that sounds like a personal problem. There are two purposes of reviews on ff.n:

1.) To help other prospective readers decide if they also want to red the story or not. (That's why reviews are publicly viewable.)
2.) For readers to post their thoughts and advice, criticism, and yes, praises too, to help authors improve.
Of course, if a writer decides its fun to write, then that's not bad on its own. However, if they write badly and generally show rudeness to the people giving their feedback, then they deserve the damage they get to their self-esteem. That's just my opinion, but it comes from some of the bad experiences I've had on ff.net.

Festive Tipper

10,350 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
This is the reason I use multiple Beta Readers. Because I know none of my rough drafts are publish-worthy - even on ff.net.

Of course, ff.net is so big, and too many people just don't bother to put time or effort into their work, and because ff.net is so large, staff can't filter out what gets posted online.

And then, when staff have to do a purge aka clean up the site, then the writers get pissy and then they start bitching and moaning. I swear, if I hear one person b***h about the next (future) round of purges, I'm going to tell it like it is.

I mean, we all hated that Critics United s**t, but any future purges ff.net does will induce more rounds of pissy memebers who happen to be Gaia Users from bitching - in the wrong forum BTW - about purges, free-speech, etc.

I actually want critical reviews. If I don't get something critical, how the hell can I improve? Then again, if I actually write a decent story, the more "serious" writers are going to ask why the hell I'm on ff.net anyway.

Tipsy Man-Lover

I don't use a beta reader.
And most of the stuff I put up is my first draft of everything, with just little alterations when I read through it in the documents.

So....

But I don't think anything I've submitted is horrible. I'm pretty darn literate as far as that goes. I just refuse to nitpick something that will make no difference in the long run. I write fanfiction for the fun of writing. Editing = my hell. So I don't do it for fanfiction.

EDIT: To be fair, though, I HAVE done a complete rewrite of one of my fics as a result of this. So, there is that.

Festive Tipper

10,350 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
The Drunken Jester
Editing = my hell. So I don't do it for fanfiction.

This is why you pay the Grammar Nazis to do that for you. twisted

They can be bribed with items and gold, so if editing isn't your strong point, just hire several to do it for you. ninja mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff