Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'll give my ff.net profile again.
My Profile.
If you want to give some of my fics a read, here they are.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
emotion_facepalm

If you are lazy enough to get on ff.net, but are too ******** lazy to Google wikipedia.com for answers to your questions on some of the terms I've used in my stories, GTFO scream

Seriously, how hard is it to Google wikipedia.com? scream

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Some of the terms we use are also pretty obvious given the context clues. Like OC or canon. What terms were they asking about?

On a side note, that is why we have a lexicon posted in the guild.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
Renkon Root

Mostly Japanese History/Culture crap on my story The Living Years. Seriously, someone kept asking me questions like, "what is Bushido?" Who is Oda Nobunaga?" Stuff like that.

Goggle wikipedia.com for your answer. How do you think I got my information? I sure didn't pull names out of a hat. stressed

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Seriously? They don't know what Bushido is, or who Oda Nobunaga was? where were these people in seventh grade history? Did they even go to school?
>Hannah Yeager: Uh, were you referring to me in the initial rant?

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
Kadaj5

Nope, so don't worry. It's just that when I write a story, I expect some of my readers to google wikipedia for an answer.

Then again, before the snow started yesterday where I live, I was 5 seconds away from throttling the next person who kept asking what time the bus came. I mean, if you have enough time to go on Facebook and fool around, you have plenty of time to go to the public transit website and look at their schedules.

I'm sorry, but I want spring to come right now! I've been stuck in the house for the past two days, and Gaia can only occupy so many of them.

15,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
  • Millionaire 200
I recently decided to start posting my stories on ff.net. Not sure exactly how people are taking to it since I'm not getting many reviews but I'm having fun.

This is the direct link to the story

Summary: A lot can happen in three years. Naruto and Kiba move in together and three years later Naruto is facing the biggest decision of his life. How did it get to be this way? Could this have been avoided? Does he want this to be avoided? Yaoi! NaruSasu. And many other pairings.

I'd love some feedback if anyone has time. smile

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
I have a question. I don't know how often this happens on smaller fandoms, but I see it in large fandoms a lot: Authors asking readers to submit OCs.

Why?

Seriously, if you're gonna write a story why not use your own characters? If you can't come up with characters, why not use the canon characters? If you're not gonna use the canon characters, why write for that fandom at all? (That third question is really more of n aside.)

But seriously now. You think you're creative enough to write a story. Why do you not think you're creative enough to make-up your own characters? I don't understand it!

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Renkon Root
I have a question. I don't know how often this happens on smaller fandoms, but I see it in large fandoms a lot: Authors asking readers to submit OCs.

Maybe its their way of making sure that readers get involved with the story, you're more likely to keep reading it if you felt you're a part of the process.

Or maybe the writers just aren't that confident with their writing yet.

Either that or they want to blame the Mary Sues on someone else. wink

'Honestly Mary Sue Police, she was suggested to me. I would never write her if it had been all my idea.'

Only written with more flowery/purpley prose, bad spelling and lolz. rolleyes

*is writing a Bourne Legacy fic at the moment, FYI* 4laugh

Romantic Prophet

9,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Renkon Root

From what I've seen of smaller fandoms, although it's not quite as common, it still does happen.

Usually it's around when an archive hits the 1,000 stories mark that that starts popping up. I personally find it excessively annoying, but try not to pay mind to it much.
Renkon Root

I use OCs that are owned by another person sometimes. I have permission to use them, and the person I'm borrowing from has been impressed by how I portray them in my stories.

Maybe that's why some authors ask readers to submit OCs: They want to see if they can keep them in character.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
Renkon Root

I think - and I could be wrong - those type of stories could be classified as "interactive stories." I know ff.net has banned them, but some interactive stories do tend to crop up in small and large fandoms as well.

I remember one story for my fandom called "authors in armor," but I think it got taken down because of the interactive role it played.

It's just that if your fandom isn't large, old, or both, you have a great deal of trouble finding those stories posted on the 'net. Usually a site as large as ff.net doesn't make any other sites reach budding potential because ff.net usually wins in comparison to size and options.

As for AO3, I doubt they'll become as big as ff.net right away, but I also fear that AO3 will be swamped with stories, and the moderators on that site will be so frazzled to do anything. Then AO3 will have to fall in line with ff.net and do purges, etc.

But, let's talk about something else. No one really needs a rehash of all the pissing and whining on ff.net's last purge... twisted

Tipsy Lunatic

The last fanfic I had any contact with that had the submitted OCs was a Pokemon fanfic that was on a mailing list.
It was almost like a chain mail thing too.
You submitted a character and they wrote out the fanfic, then one or all of the people who submitted were expected to write one with other people submitting theirs and etc....
But everyone had at least one of their own original characters, who were all Pokemon trainers in a tournament of some sort.

I remember rather enjoying the experience. It was really interesting.
Plus I liked what they did with my character. She didn't win, like she would've if I were writing it. Plus she had a weird friendship/love interest type thing going on with one of the other OCs....

I can see the appeal of the whole thing. But I don't know that I'd ever do it again.

That being said I DID recently ask my readers for racer names for Sugar Rush racers. But I just wanted names, not fully formed characters like some people were giving me. I intend to do something with them in a new fanfic, but I haven't yet.
If you make self-inserts, then what role do you prefer them to play? I usually have mine play either an antagonistic or anti-heroic role; he poses as a type I or III but is a type V in actuality.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff