Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Renkon Root
GeekyTanta
why are some people's topics about fanfiction written and posted on the fanfiction section of writers seem to be sent to Chatterbox question evil

This forum is technically just for posting actual fan fiction. Discussion topics about slash, fan fictions sites, etc. are technically considered spam. Its in the rules posted in the top of the forum.

fair nuff smile

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Its so silly, though. Normal discussion topics about fan fiction are supposed to go in the main Writers' forum, but no one there wants them and so whenever someone does post a fan fiction topic there (where its supposed to go) they get ridiculed, put-down, belittled, and berated. So much to the point that no actual discussion ever gets done. It would be much safer to post a fan fiction discussion topic here in the Fan Fiction sub-forum, but here it would be spam since the forum rules don't allow for it, and it would be moved to either the main forum or the Chatterbox.

I have thought about making a thread about this in the Site Feedback for some time, but with the stigma that most fan fiction carries, I don't know how much attention it would actually get.
Petition for the admins to change the rules a bit and point out the logic behind the inconsistencies?

Feral Flatterer

So I feel a bit awkward asking this since the topic has changed but does anyone write Dragon Age fics? If I have overlooked a post of someone already stating that they do, then I'm sorry about that. sweatdrop

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Kadaj5
Petition for the admins to change the rules a bit and point out the logic behind the inconsistencies?

Like I said, I've thought about making a thread for it in the Site Feedback. But I don't think it would be well received.

@ Violent Crow:
That's a video game, right? If it is, and it's the one I'm thinking of, I have a friend who's really into that game, but she doesn't write fan fiction. I've never really played it (just watched a few missions) and it doesn't really seem like my thing. But was there anything specific you wanted to discuss about it within the context of fan fiction? Perhaps there's a common trend within the Dragon Age fandom that occurs in other famdoms that we could chat about.

Feral Flatterer

@ Renkon Root

Yes, it’s a role playing game and I was hoping to find some OC or AU fics since I really like to see what people can do with my favorite universes. I have one story in that fandom (my only story, actually, which took a lot of pep talk and building up of bravado to post) and the only thing I can say about the fanfics I’m finding is that most people seem to be leery of gritty OCs. I guess it’s just a case of writers fearing backlash for writing about some main character that deviates from the norm of the old "righteous and pious hero" that most people tend to favor.

Suppose it’s just that I’m in a bit of a slump. There’s nothing wrong with a morally upright and compassionate main character but I find it difficult to believe that one can successfully solve any issue by shooting someone a charming smile and asking nicely for them to please not kill all the mages because “that wouldn’t be nice”. I understand that in the games it is possible to persuade someone to do whatever you want if you have a high enough skill level, but in a story I need to be convinced that the character can really convince someone with dialogue that isn’t taken directly from the game. And admittedly, the dialogue for the main character in the actual game is a bit thin.

Now I feel like I’m just going off on a tangent and I’m finding it difficult to reel myself back in. My issue is that I’m trying to find a fanfic of one of my favorite video games that doesn’t rip off the original dialogue and doesn’t just retell me a story that I already know. Gosh I’m coming off like a total snob so I’ll just stop my little rant or whatever this is. redface

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Violent Crow

Now I feel like I’m just going off on a tangent and I’m finding it difficult to reel myself back in. My issue is that I’m trying to find a fanfic of one of my favorite video games that doesn’t rip off the original dialogue and doesn’t just retell me a story that I already know. Gosh I’m coming off like a total snob so I’ll just stop my little rant or whatever this is. redface

I don't know anything about Dragon Age, but I don't think its asking too much to want good fics about your favourite [insert whatever it is here ]. 3nodding

Mind you sometimes the only way to find them is to write them yourself. lol
I honestly feel sort of bad for people who are subscribing to me and my fics now. I havent' written fanfic for months, and I honestly don't plan to. I've barely written anything lately, and when I do write something I'd rather it be with my own characters. And besides I've been generally uninspired/unmotivated.

I wanted to make a writing chatroom, and some kind of community for writers, but I just can't commit myself to just plain writing, let alone all that.

Feral Flatterer

GeekyTanta

I don't know anything about Dragon Age, but I don't think its asking too much to want good fics about your favourite [insert whatever it is here ]. 3nodding

Heh, thanks. I'm already writing one with an abrasive character and a lot of reviewers actually seem to like it. Maybe I've received one or two saying "[So and so] is a grump!" which tells me a lot of nothing since I don't know what the character did wrong. But then that's going on a different conversational path that talks about unhelpful/odd reviews. xp

King Cupcake

I just wrote a PKMN fanfic!!! here is my ff.net userpage!

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Violent Crow
So I feel a bit awkward asking this since the topic has changed but does anyone write Dragon Age fics? If I have overlooked a post of someone already stating that they do, then I'm sorry about that. sweatdrop

I'm currently trying to work on one but I only just started a few days ago and haven't finished my first chapter yet. I'll post it when I'm done though if you want to read :3. I currently have an Avengers fanfiction. Although it's not very good. A lot of fanfiction doesn't inspire me as much as original fiction does but I'm hoping Dragon Age will give me a good drive to write (I adore that game xD). If I finish the Avengers fanfic I'll probably go back and clean up all of the chapters. I'm still stunned I got a little over 100 reviews on it. >_<

I also have started a harry potter Trollfiction as it is making fun of Mary-Sue characters and I'm working with my friend Lufuu to write it. I greatly enjoyed taking on a sarcastic manner and breaking the fourth wall at intervals. biggrin I also have 2 Naruto fanfictions both one shots. :3

My account is here:

x

Wheezing Wyvern

10,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Violent Crow
GeekyTanta

Heh, thanks. I'm already writing one with an abrasive character and a lot of reviewers actually seem to like it. Maybe I've received one or two saying "[So and so] is a grump!" which tells me a lot of nothing since I don't know what the character did wrong. But then that's going on a different conversational path that talks about unhelpful/odd reviews. xp

Ooh, what is your author name on fanfiction? I would be interested in reading it! :3 I love Dragon Age so much and there aren't many grumpy characters on fanfiction.net that people create.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I always hesitate about doing an author's note. Most of the one's I've read sound douchey, and I feel like I don't owe the reader explanations...maybe I'm a douche like that. The most I've done is alert them to update schedules or lack thereof.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

I used to do author's notes all the time back when I was still new and green. Nowadays I don't really bother with them. Only in the case of certain AUs, or when I use an obscure piece of canon, or mix and match fragments from multiple canons (as with DC Comics, jeez is that one big ********!). I agree, you don't really "owe" the readers anything. But I've found that a short little note at the bottom of a chapter saying "This character is from Earth-22, for more info read 'Kingdom Come'." Does help prevent those annoying little reviews where people who have no idea what you're talking about try to lecture you using their limited views of canon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff