Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Its not my place to try and second guess why someone wouldn't write in their native language. I suppose some could do it for practice, others just to see if they could, or other to get a wider reader base (since ff.n is an American based site, most of its users are native English speakers). JRR Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings is a native English speaker and yet he's written poems and stories in Latin.

As for getting a beta reader for my own dyslexia, as I said before, its more effort than I'm willing to invest in my fan fictions. Like I said, do it mostly write fan fiction to relax. Its a hobby for me and I don't think the effort of finding a beta reader (researching a good one) and waiting for them to review my work and get back to me, it all just seems like the effort would be disproportionate to the pleasure I'd get out of it. My dyslexia doesn't bother me, and with the exception of a fair few reviewers, no one has really complained about it. I see no reason to exert extra effort when I really don't want to.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
Renkon Root

Fan fiction is still fin for me, don't get me wrong, but wanting to be historically correct is also important for me as well. You see, I was a History minor at one point in my education, so research on history is sort of second nature to me.

I have to get offline, I'll talk to you later. Bed. emotion_zzz

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Hannah Yeager
Fan fiction is still fin for me, don't get me wrong, but wanting to be historically correct is also important for me as well. You see, I was a History minor at one point in my education, so research on history is sort of second nature to me.

I guess I just can't relate to that particular scenario since (thus far) I have only written for fandoms that take place in a contemporary time period, or completely far fetched fantasy/sci-fi settings. The closest thing to a fic taking place in a "historical" time period that I've written was the mid-80s. Since that was the decade in which I grew up, I didn't need to research it all that much. Maybe if I do become a fan f a period piece and become so inclined to write a fic for it, maybe I will do research. *shrug* Honestly, I can't say.
Quote:
I have to get offline, I'll talk to you later. Bed. emotion_zzz

I've enjoyed this conversation. Have a good sleep. Talk to you later.
Hannah Yeager
Renkon Root

As for English not being your first language, what's wrong with writing a fan fiction in your native tounge? Not to be mean, but I know in my fandom, there is at least one - if not more, who write stories in French and Spanish. Last time I checked, ff.net did have the option for posting stories in languages other than English.

I know this because some of my earlier works were translated into French and got reviews from French writers on the site. There is no shame in writing a fan fiction in your native tounge - even if that native tounge isn't English. No one should be ashamed of writing a story in their native tounge - no one.
I beta for a couple of people whose first language isn't English (I think, in both cases, Spanish?). I think there are a few reasons why they write fanfiction in English apart from shame of their native language. First, the primary language used on FFnet, and indeed in many parts of the internet, is English. By writing something in English, you get more exposure, more pageviews, more popularity. Another reason is to practice English. If they don't live in an area where they can practice English but still want to improve, then writing in that language will help them. Also, one (as far as I know) lives in the States. The main language spoken in the US is English, and a good portion of their peers may speak English and not Spanish, leading them to write in English and not Spanish.

TL;DR I do think that writing in your native tongue is good, especially if you don't have a great hold on English and are just starting out, but there are a few reasons that people would write in a language not their own. (Also, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a fic originally written in French or Spanish or something and then translated to English, rather than vice versa).

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
stumbling onto the 'to beta or not to beta, that is the question' conversation. xp

Personally I only go looking for a beta about 70-80% of the time when writing because I feel confident enough in my spelling and writing abilities not to worry to much about it. Although I admit to doing it more at the beginning of my writing life when I needed it the most.

I chased a beta for my last two stories only because they were multi chapter ones and I felt the need to make sure that the story was consistent and made sense to someone who hadn't invested months writing the damn things. wink

Sometimes for me it becomes a case of can't see the spelling mistakes and inconsistencies for the forest, because I am too close to the story and just glaze over the mistakes. lol

I know most of the writers on FF.net are young and just starting on the road to writing but sometimes you want to smack your head against a wall trying to read through spelling mistakes and badly written sentences, especially in the summaries. If you can't get that right why should I commit precious time trying to wade through your actual story? rolleyes

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
GeekyTanta
[...] especially in the summaries. If you can't get that right why should I commit precious time trying to wade through your actual story? rolleyes

I hear that!

Once upon a time, I got so irritated with terrible summaries in one of my fandoms that I compiled a long PM lecturing on how to write a summary and what differentiates a good summary from a bad summary. I PM'd this lecture to the worst offenders in the fandom, along with an explanation of why a summary is important. I'm sad to say, their responses were not very receptive and mostly contained indignant or angry bitching about how mean I was and threats to report me for 'trolling' and 'harassing' them. (Admittedly, I had written the PMs out of frustration. So I suppose it's possible I sounded a bit bitchy.)

There's a watered down and 'nicer' version of my lecture in the guild, if you're curious.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Just finished my current serialized fiction. WHOOT! Gosh, it feels so good to finish a project! Of course, it was just one fic in a series that I'm posting on both ff.n and AO3, and that's far from finished. But I think I'll take a break from writing for a bit, recharge my creative juices for a while (at least until season 2 is completed).

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
I am done with the ******** research! scream stressed

Now I need another goddamn critique before I get it sent to the goddamn grammar nazis for the spelling and grammar check. gonk scream

Yes, I'm in a bad mood. I couldn't talk about my aunt's death after I was in Target and found this year's Holiday Barbie. My aunt collected Holiday Barbies. cry

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I just my story to my first grammar nazi via e-mail. I should go on zOMG to get more gold for my second sweep for spelling / grammar errors, but I just want to think - and talk about - a really cute idea started by Miss Cam on ff.net called OFUM. Basicly, it's a fan fiction story about students go to special school to write fan fiction.

Can you imagine what kind of student body we'd have here on Gaia? emotion_dowant

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Oh dear lord! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Exhibitionist

Renkon Root

Its not my place to try and second guess why someone wouldn't write in their native language. I suppose some could do it for practice, others just to see if they could, or other to get a wider reader base (since ff.n is an American based site, most of its users are native English speakers). JRR Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings is a native English speaker and yet he's written poems and stories in Latin.

Not my conversation but I wanted to butt in--
My girlfriend is fluent in English, as well as three other languages, and her first language. She writes in English and some of her older fictions aren't really great grammar-wise. It is good practice and a lot of the time a fanfiction writer has certain readers in mind they've connected to in the fandom, and those people are often English speakers. FF.net is English in the majority. Anime fandoms, besides Chinese and Japanese, are English in the majority. That said, I also have many, many friends who roleplay in English but whose first languages are not English, because again--connecting to other people.

Unfortunately, some people just overestimate their grasp of the language.

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
Hannah Yeager
Basicly, it's a fan fiction story about students go to special school to write fan fiction.

Can you imagine what kind of student body we'd have here on Gaia? emotion_dowant

Oh self aware fics, shameless plug but I once wrote a fic about characters getting together to b***h about how the fanfic writers treated them, called Whipping Boys Anonymous. lol

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
Sorry I have't posted here in a while, but I recently updated my Tintin story "The Crypt of Popol Vuh" and I would love reviews.

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
RiverSong1984

Hey River! Just waiting for a reply PM for my second Beta Reader and have his go over the story with a fine-tooth comb.

I need to talk to someone - my goodness it's been quiet and dull. neutral

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
Hannah Yeager
RiverSong1984

Hey River! Just waiting for a reply PM for my second Beta Reader and have his go over the story with a fine-tooth comb.

I need to talk to someone - my goodness it's been quiet and dull. neutral

Groovy, how are you? I actually posted a new story here on Gaia, if you could please take a look.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff