Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
xavier_alive
Akari Kibou
My biggest pet peeve is finding a fanfic with a really strong beginning and middle that just suddenly drops off where the ending should be. It drives me absolutely nuts because it feels like the author wimped out of giving the readers a really satisfying end and there's no closure to the story whatsoever.

Very true. I try to read certain authors and their favorites because they tend to keep to a strict updating schedule (and they follow authors who do the same).

And even if they don't finish it, at least put it up for adoption? It's better than just letting it die or abandoning it.

*decides to just jump in*

Personally, I'm a little iffy on adoption. Sure, the story doesn't die, but there's no guarantee that the person who adopts it will finish either. Worst case scenario, they even make it worse or ruin the experience you had previously. Honestly, I'd be content to keep the quality and imagine my own ending, if the fic looked abandoned. But that's just me. Don't hit me for a differing opinion! *cower*

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
haikomori
xavier_alive
Akari Kibou
My biggest pet peeve is finding a fanfic with a really strong beginning and middle that just suddenly drops off where the ending should be. It drives me absolutely nuts because it feels like the author wimped out of giving the readers a really satisfying end and there's no closure to the story whatsoever.

Very true. I try to read certain authors and their favorites because they tend to keep to a strict updating schedule (and they follow authors who do the same).

And even if they don't finish it, at least put it up for adoption? It's better than just letting it die or abandoning it.

*decides to just jump in*

Personally, I'm a little iffy on adoption. Sure, the story doesn't die, but there's no guarantee that the person who adopts it will finish either. Worst case scenario, they even make it worse or ruin the experience you had previously. Honestly, I'd be content to keep the quality and imagine my own ending, if the fic looked abandoned. But that's just me. Don't hit me for a differing opinion! *cower*

I like your avi

But yeah, it's a risk. But that's why I always suggest authors choose who they give their story too. There was this one author who gave it to another author that I followed (yay me!) and they had very similar writing styles and complimentary ideas. This was awesome indeed.

7,050 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I don't really mind unusual pairings (not those that are WAY out into fantasyland, no, that's another matter altogether). What I hate more are: OOC-ness in canon characters that shouldn't happen in the first place (but this depends on the fic and many other variables) or happens too fast and the worst of them all... Mary Sues. I, myself am an OC writer but I absolutely hate it when I read a fic with a Mary Sue in it.

Imagine reading an entire ten-line paragraph in a fic about the Mary Sue's *talents*, about how beautiful she is, et cetera. Ugh, makes me want to throw my laptop out of the window. The sad thing about that fic is that it started out very well; then the Mary Sue came in and ruined everything.

I don't mind slight OOC-ness (since characters are well... characters and can be influenced by other characters around him/her) but having two main characters fall in love with the OC at first sight? That's just absurd.

I see a lot of OC hate for some reason, but the hate shouldn't be directed at OC's (there are good ones out there), it should be directed at Mary Sues and the like. Sue's are the ones who are giving the OC's a bad name =.=

Familiar Dabbler

xavier_alive
Aimelie
xavier_alive
Aimelie
I hate when i read some really good fanfiction and they don't finish it lol they just let it die, it sucks.
ninja

It does.

And then, 10 years later, a chapter updates, and you're sitting there like, "Holy s**t no way!"

Ha yeah and by that time you have to re-read the whole story because you have forgotten mostly everything.

Isn't it also annoying when this happens:

You really liked this story but it stopped updating for a really long time. And by the time it has updated (a couple years later), you're style in reading choice has become more sophisticated and intelligent. So when you go back and re-read a story you liked years ago, you find it really poorly written and can't get through it...

It has happened too many times to me... sad

And you keep the air in my lungs
Floating along as a melody comes
And my heart beats like timpani drums
Keeping the time while a symphony strums

I had that happen recently. There was a Xiaolin Showdown fic I read years ago when I first stared getting in fanfic. I thought it was really great, but. . .I wouldn't say it's bad, but the grammar's lacking, and there aren't any scene breaks (a big pet-peeve of mine.)

Going back to the OP: It depends on how much focus the pairing's getting. If it's a subplot, than it's fairly easy to ignore and focus on the main plot. If it is the main plot. . .well, there's a back button for a reason. wink

Son I am not everything you thought that I would be
But every story I have told is part of me
Son I leave you now but you have so much more to do
And every story I have told is part of you

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas