Welcome to Gaia! ::

Joou no Oh
Penn Almasy
I accept that my racial preferences may or may not be racist.

But you have to accept that part of those preferences is nature/nurture and it's very hard to change those preferences on the beliefs of "oh no someone MIGHT be offended by this!!1"

There's nothing natural about lumping an entire people into a single [insert description here] group.
And nobody said it would be easy. It's about questioning -if you're "not attracted" to an entire group- the why behind it.

That's not entirely true.

There is alot of scientific evidence to support the opposite view: that the human brain is hardwired to collect, group, and label things for ease of thinking and processing.

What is not natural however is what attributes one assigns to the group in question when it comes to race.

I don't mind questioning, so long as people are indeed questioning. My issue with the OP is that she doesn't entertain the possibility that the 'deeper' reasoning can indeed be quite base and have nothing to do with being bound up with racial stereotypes.
Riviera de la Mancha
Andy Worhal
Tenebris_Alcestis
So...I'm racist against my own race? Wat.
I like my men with some to a lot of color, I can't stand pale skin D: White guys look weird to me...
i've never seen an attractive person who didnt look white.

The troll is strong with this one...
i've just never seen a person worth looking at which wasn't white, you can see evidence for this in hispanic countries
Andy Worhal
Riviera de la Mancha
Andy Worhal
Tenebris_Alcestis
So...I'm racist against my own race? Wat.
I like my men with some to a lot of color, I can't stand pale skin D: White guys look weird to me...
i've never seen an attractive person who didnt look white.

The troll is strong with this one...
i've just never seen a person worth looking at which wasn't white, you can see evidence for this in hispanic countries

Yes... good... let the troll flow through you...

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
Joou no Oh
There's nothing natural about lumping an entire people into a single [insert description here] group.
And nobody said it would be easy. It's about questioning -if you're "not attracted" to an entire group- the why behind it.
Well it's not as natural to love everybody equally without having SOME form of bias. Otherwise...well, I worry.

And I do have my why: aesthetics.

For example, I love big, thick lips. d**k sucking lips, as the Internet calls it. But I like to see this paired best with narrow noses. On the reverse, I like wide noses on a design or person but would like to see thin lips with this nose or at least mildly thick. Never the whole nine yards.
I'm apathetic towards the narrow nose/thin lips pair, and I find the wide nose/thick lips pair...wholly unattractive. Mind you, if that person is nice enough and whatnot, I can look past that flaw as easily as I can spot it in the first place.

tl;dr my superficial reasons boil down to "I think they look/don't look pretty." It's shallow, it's petty, it's a very typically female thing to say. And to that, I ask:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I don't criticize your tastes (the reason being, well, see the gif), no one else presumably criticizes your tastes...who are YOU to say "Sure he looks like the son of Leatherface...but he's the sweetest man I know!"

He still looks like the son of Leatherface.

Bashful Member

Riviera de la Mancha
Joou no Oh
Penn Almasy
I accept that my racial preferences may or may not be racist.

But you have to accept that part of those preferences is nature/nurture and it's very hard to change those preferences on the beliefs of "oh no someone MIGHT be offended by this!!1"

That's not entirely true.

There is alot of scientific evidence to support the opposite view: that the human brain is hardwired to collect, group, and label things for ease of thinking and processing.

What is not natural however is what attributes one assigns to the group in question when it comes to race.

I don't mind questioning, so long as people are indeed questioning. My issue with the OP is that she doesn't entertain the possibility that the 'deeper' reasoning can indeed be quite base and have nothing to do with being bound up with racial stereotypes.

While i'm not that confident on what I know about the brain, I still have my doubts about labelling things when it comes to living people because of the fact that we're constantly being influenced by the media to label eachother.
On that note, i'd be more willing to consider that idea but it's hard to get away from a society completely free of ads and hidden messages.
Lack of exposure to actual individuals is one thing, yeah, but even then you're not free from being influenced and/or told what to think of other people as a racial group. Maybe in a vaccuum..

Original Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
I liek peopel for people, i may never slee with a black man but that doens't rule out the fact that i havent' found any but one i am slightly attracted to. I liek to say that all races have their perks if you rally looked at it.

Racism is not accepted more because eople don't fully understand it. Its not a bad hting, its bilogical engineering done because at oen poitn we were small groups living together tha tlooekd alike because we came form the same area, when we starte dot move around we either liked or disliked, and more often than not disliked someone else because of their race. We didn't look at their music, but because we didn'rt understand where they xcame from. They could have west nile and if we added them to us then we would have west nile too.

Racism in a small scale helps keep our peopel from gettign sick from toher people. Its why if you go across the ocean to another country, you need to get vaccinated because our bodies wouldn't know what to do with their germs.

8,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The basic definition of racism is hate of another ethnicity (race) due to cultural prejudices and the belief that they are inferior to one's own race.

Now that being said, having a preference isn't necessarily based on that ideal. People have different views on what is attractive to them. That does not mean if one doesn't want to date someone of another race it means they think that person is inferior to them because they are of a different race. If we went by that belief with features such as hair color, etc., that could fall under being a bigot. However that is not the case.

It is erroneous to label people as racist due to their views on what they find attractive to them especially when it is not based on what is defined under racism.

Dapper Codger

1,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Maybe we can't not be racist. When it comes to friends, race doesn't bother me. But when it comes to dating, there are definitely certain features found in certain races I find more physically attractive than others, thus leading me towards dating certain races more than others. It's not really a choice, it's just what I find attractive. I can't say this isn't racist. I'm attracted to what I'm attracted to, and I can't change that.

Timid Gawker

For some reason, this topic is just...above my head. From what I (sorta) gathered, the real racism is in declaring a preference more than someone's actual pattern of who they find attractive because that declaration is based on racist generalizations? I mean, that's what makes sense to me...?

Ruthless Man-Lover

I'm a black female and I generally find other black men unattractive. There are certain features that, even though I have them, aren't attractive to me. I like light blue or green eyes and pale skin, for example. It's a preference.

Though, where I live, it's generally rare to find anyone that's willing to date outside of their own race. Can't do that in the south, now can we? rolleyes Though, seriously, the only racist thing about this is if you refuse to date someone, not based on any type of preference, but because you think that because of that person's race, they will behave a certain way. That's usually the problem I see more of.
I am completely okay with my preference of certain races over others, because the type of bone structure/body type I like. And I am aware that there can be exceptions to this rule. I still prefer what I prefer.

Hilarious Prophet

Erryn The Red
I am completely okay with my preference of certain races over others, because the type of bone structure/body type I like. And I am aware that there can be exceptions to this rule. I still prefer what I prefer.
That's a pretty hurtful bias.

Hilarious Prophet

Paroxy
I'm a black female and I generally find other black men unattractive.
I don't follow.
Jacque De Molay
Erryn The Red
That's a pretty hurtful bias.

How is it a bias if I prefer tall, lithe, with strong faces and good cheek bones and a streamlined bone structure? I mean, yeah, it's a bias, but's also pretty much a fact that different races have tendencies for different bone structures? The bone structures I find sexiest, tend to be found on Nordic, Celtic, Northern Europeans, and Native American people. It's just a scientific thing. There ARE exceptions, but they are not the norm.

I have met some BEAUTIFUL men that are not in the races I prefer, but they are not the norm. I have no reason to be ashamed of being attracted to what I am.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff