Welcome to Gaia! ::

Your Food

A discussion thread

Welcome to my discussion thread! Most people on the internet call me Mouse.
I am 21 and live in Ohio. I am a foodie and I run a small urban farm out of my back yard. I am also an animal welfare activist and am always on the lookout for a way to improve the lives of animals.

I would like this thread to be a place for people to discuss the subject of our food in modern america. I would really like this to be an ongoing topic that anyone can pop in and post at forever.

I am really interested in people's food choices and why they make them, especially from a moral and social standpoint. Personally I feel strongly that humans are omnivores and as such I eat meat. But part of being an animal lover calls for me to want my food to be humanely raised. In addition I want to reduce my impact on the environment. As such I try to source my food from chemical-free, humane, sustainable sources. Around where I live this is hard so I have started raising my own foods, even meats, in my back yard in the most sustainable ways I can.

Please come in to discuss this topic and the ones related to it such as factory farming, animal welfare VS animal rights legislation, organic growing, GMOs... I want to hear what you eat and why and to discuss with you your food choices. And if you have never thought about what you eat that much before, I hope to make you start!
Rules and Stuff

I really don't want to have to put these up but I happen to know first hand that these types of discussions can get dicey quickly. Many people feel very passionate about this topic, especially when it goes into the question of consuming animals and animal products. As such I would really like to lay some groundwork for a healthy and respectful topic.

1. Please keep a civil mind. This does not mean we can't disagree but it should be respectful. Name-calling and abusive behavior is wrong no matter what the situation and it only serves to make your side of the argument look bad. If you're angry just walk away from the computer and come back when you feel better.

2. Please keep any graphic depictions of farming or food under links. Part of being respectful means not using abusive tactics. If someone wants to see what you are referencing they will click on a link.

3. Please be ready to offer proof of an argument or admit that you have none. People will probably call B.S. if you make a claim you're not ready to back up. Being ready to back up your opinions is the hallmark of a good debater.

4. No quote towers or page stretching. I really can't stand those things.

That's about it for the rules. Thanks for reading!
Links and Info

I would really like people to share links that are important to this topic. If they are scientifically sound and not abusive I will be happy to post them here for all to see! And if anyone would like me to post a link to a discussion thread here I would be happy to. Since I don't want to push my own agenda too much I will almost exclusively be posting links from participators in the thread. Thanks!
This post is reserved. I may need it some day. biggrin
And that should do it! I am done and this is open for posting! I look forward to hearing lots of different veiwpoints!

Greedy Giver

yay, responsible meat eating! blaugh

I think people should eat more rabbit 3nodding

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
kitti kat

except that's a genuinely bad idea.

EDIT: I like your taste in music, though, as evidenced by your siggy. one of the greatest songs ever

Liberal Dabbler

I had wild elk for supper last night, it was absolutely delicious. I tried brining with a little balsamic vin instead of marinading, and the result was a very subtle mellowing of the flavor and tender, moist meat with its natural texture. I'm a big fan of wild game, both ethically and gastronomically, but you have to rely on a good hunter.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

How so?

Greedy Giver

Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

EDIT: I like your taste in music, though, as evidenced by your siggy. one of the greatest songs ever
no man, rabbit is superior to chicken in every way (except that they don't lay eggs, but commercial eggs don't come from commercial meat chickens anyway)

and thank you. actually, its about time I put new lyrics in my sig, thats been there for a while...

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

How so?

rabbit starvation.

it lacks . . . something, that the human body needs, so it has to be supplemented by other meats.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

How so?

rabbit starvation.

it lacks . . . something, that the human body needs, so it has to be supplemented by other meats.
You don't even need meat at all.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

How so?

rabbit starvation.

You don't even need meat at all.

vegan propaganda.

there's a reason our ancestors ate meat.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

no man, rabbit is superior to chicken in every way (except that they don't lay eggs, but commercial eggs don't come from commercial meat chickens anyway)

and thank you. actually, its about time I put new lyrics in my sig, thats been there for a while...

rabbit starvation disagrees with your assumption that rabbit is superior to chicken.

though, there is something to be said for the fact that birdmeats have inherent risks that mammal meats just don't

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff