Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Prophet

Riviera de la Mancha
FDA and USDA, when contemplating regulations, would follow the bro rule: If a bro can't say it, then don't allow it to be put into food.
I have a problem with Barney Stinson managing government agencies even if it makes a good episode.
Jacque De Molay
Riviera de la Mancha
FDA and USDA, when contemplating regulations, would follow the bro rule: If a bro can't say it, then don't allow it to be put into food.
I have a problem with Barney Stinson managing government agencies even if it makes a good episode.

He would not be in a management position. He would be a consultant.

The head of the USDA and FDA would come to him with a list of various chemicals and substances companies are or are proposing to add to food and food products, and simply any of those which he cannot say will not be allowed.

If bros were a touch smarter, I think this would be a good standard.

Hilarious Prophet

Riviera de la Mancha
Jacque De Molay
Riviera de la Mancha

He would not be in a management position. He would be a consultant.

The head of the USDA and FDA would come to him with a list of various chemicals and substances companies are or are proposing to add to food and food products, and simply any of those which he cannot say will not be allowed.

If bros were a touch smarter, I think this would be a good standard.
I certainly think that any position of power is far too much for a bro to handle. Barney is also quite linguistically fluent as he eloquently soliloquized the tale of the virgin innkeeper. I don't know what stops a bro from abusing his position of power. How binding is the bro code?

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Riviera de la Mancha
Kozumuda
AChocolateMouse
Your Food

A discussion thread

Welcome to my discussion thread! Most people on the internet call me Mouse.
I am 21 and live in Ohio. I am a foodie and I run a small urban farm out of my back yard. I am also an animal welfare activist and am always on the lookout for a way to improve the lives of animals.

I would like this thread to be a place for people to discuss the subject of our food in modern america. I would really like this to be an ongoing topic that anyone can pop in and post at forever.

I am really interested in people's food choices and why they make them, especially from a moral and social standpoint. Personally I feel strongly that humans are omnivores and as such I eat meat. But part of being an animal lover calls for me to want my food to be humanely raised. In addition I want to reduce my impact on the environment. As such I try to source my food from chemical-free, humane, sustainable sources. Around where I live this is hard so I have started raising my own foods, even meats, in my back yard in the most sustainable ways I can.

Please come in to discuss this topic and the ones related to it such as factory farming, animal welfare VS animal rights legislation, organic growing, GMOs... I want to hear what you eat and why and to discuss with you your food choices. And if you have never thought about what you eat that much before, I hope to make you start!
Start by dissolving the FDA and the USDA.

Yeah, because books like "The Jungle" totally support this idea. And its not like we just recently had a revelation that a major fast food chain was utilizing pink slime in its beef products.

Yep, if there is one thing recent memory tells us, its that absolutely nothing can go wrong when you eliminate supervisory agencies.

I am actually more of the opinion that, were it doable, the FDA and USDA, when contemplating regulations, would follow the bro rule: If a bro can't say it, then don't allow it to be put into food.
Oh, yeah, okay. So you expect me to actually trust my government not to put anything in my food that doesn't cause me harm; be it a sedative that damages brain cells just to see if they can take over my mind? I will never EVER trust my government with the power to regulate something as simple as food.
Kozumuda
Riviera de la Mancha
Kozumuda
AChocolateMouse
Your Food

A discussion thread

Welcome to my discussion thread! Most people on the internet call me Mouse.
I am 21 and live in Ohio. I am a foodie and I run a small urban farm out of my back yard. I am also an animal welfare activist and am always on the lookout for a way to improve the lives of animals.

I would like this thread to be a place for people to discuss the subject of our food in modern america. I would really like this to be an ongoing topic that anyone can pop in and post at forever.

I am really interested in people's food choices and why they make them, especially from a moral and social standpoint. Personally I feel strongly that humans are omnivores and as such I eat meat. But part of being an animal lover calls for me to want my food to be humanely raised. In addition I want to reduce my impact on the environment. As such I try to source my food from chemical-free, humane, sustainable sources. Around where I live this is hard so I have started raising my own foods, even meats, in my back yard in the most sustainable ways I can.

Please come in to discuss this topic and the ones related to it such as factory farming, animal welfare VS animal rights legislation, organic growing, GMOs... I want to hear what you eat and why and to discuss with you your food choices. And if you have never thought about what you eat that much before, I hope to make you start!
Start by dissolving the FDA and the USDA.

Yeah, because books like "The Jungle" totally support this idea. And its not like we just recently had a revelation that a major fast food chain was utilizing pink slime in its beef products.

Yep, if there is one thing recent memory tells us, its that absolutely nothing can go wrong when you eliminate supervisory agencies.

I am actually more of the opinion that, were it doable, the FDA and USDA, when contemplating regulations, would follow the bro rule: If a bro can't say it, then don't allow it to be put into food.
Oh, yeah, okay. So you expect me to actually trust my government not to put anything in my food that doesn't cause me harm; be it a sedative that damages brain cells just to see if they can take over my mind? I will never EVER trust my government with the power to regulate something as simple as food.

No; I just expect, perhaps to my fault, you to be smart enough to know that the 'invisible hand' of the market is apt to do you alot worse than any federal department ever could.
Psychosomatic Dinosaur
AChocolateMouse
Psychosomatic Dinosaur
Keltoi Samurai
there's also a reason that vegetarians tend toward the unhealthy-looking, and are a relatively recent phenomenon.

Vegetarianism isnt a new phenomenon, many Hindus, Jains and Buddhists in India wrote about the idea of Ahimsa or "non-violence." Plus people in many poor country's, both in the past and today, eat plant based diets alot of the time due to meat being more expensive.

Yeah, recent is a relative term. It's been around for a good 3000 years. But meat eating goes back 10,000 and dairy also "only" goes back 3000. Vegetarianism is a very legitimate diet for health reasons when done correctly.

Actually fossil evidence indicates that early man ate a more plant based diet that this whole "man as hunter" theory suggests. I would find the scientific papers I read for you but its late here, I think it was by a Sussman or something along those lines

Yes but there are just as many studies showing the other way around. It's really hard to say which is more correct. Especially since there were so many dozens of species of humans back when our evolution started. Either way, we have been hunters for well over 3000 years, long enough to evolve a diet change.
Giving this topic a little bump. :3 I'd love to hear from more people.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Welllll.

I live in a totally rural farming area. The town I live in has a population of 3,000. So it's awesome for buying meat that you definitely know where it came from. I buy from the local meat locker, and when we can, my parents and I split a half cow we buy from the neighbors. As in-- we can seriously see the cow grazing outside down the road, and the food that it's fed, up until the point it's brought to slaughter. It's pretty awesome. No mysteries in the meat we buy.

I don't buy chicken at all. I generally don't like chicken, anyway, but it seems like all the chicken at stores is injected with broth and other s**t, and I'm just not okay with that. And the meat locker doesn't sell chicken, that I've seen.

With fruits and veggies, I just buy what I can. I mean, during the summer/fall, the farmer's market is full of stuff, and it's awesome to buy fresh corn and onions and green beans. But during winter months, it's pretty much just Walmart stuff. And I hate it, but I need lettuce and carrots and s**t.

I like to know where my s**t comes from, and will get it that way if I can, but if I can't, well. I still need food.
Bubble Shark
Welllll.

I live in a totally rural farming area. The town I live in has a population of 3,000. So it's awesome for buying meat that you definitely know where it came from. I buy from the local meat locker, and when we can, my parents and I split a half cow we buy from the neighbors. As in-- we can seriously see the cow grazing outside down the road, and the food that it's fed, up until the point it's brought to slaughter. It's pretty awesome. No mysteries in the meat we buy.

I don't buy chicken at all. I generally don't like chicken, anyway, but it seems like all the chicken at stores is injected with broth and other s**t, and I'm just not okay with that. And the meat locker doesn't sell chicken, that I've seen.

With fruits and veggies, I just buy what I can. I mean, during the summer/fall, the farmer's market is full of stuff, and it's awesome to buy fresh corn and onions and green beans. But during winter months, it's pretty much just Walmart stuff. And I hate it, but I need lettuce and carrots and s**t.

I like to know where my s**t comes from, and will get it that way if I can, but if I can't, well. I still need food.

I wish I had better places like that to get my food from. I know that my chicken has saline solution in it and it sucks. I am looking forward to getting some chickens this year to fix that!
It's been a while! Bump!

Last fall I raised meat chickens. A group of "Cornish cross" or so-called commercial "frankenchickens". The truth is these chickens are a four-way terminal cross between breeds that produces a chicken that grows very fast. They're just a VERY specialized cross breed. In a commercial setting they may reach 8lbs in 8wks, and as a result have broken legs, heart failure, etc from extremely rapid growth.

These birds were raised on pasture in tractors with restricted feed. They would run and even fly. No health issues AT ALL. Beautiful big white birds. The roos hit 8lbs at 11 weeks and were delicious fryers. The hens took another month to reach the same size. Equally tasty. It's impressive how much commercial conditions change the outcome of an animal's well-being.
Tbh my first concern when it comes to buying food right now has to be cost. I am not "expensive food is an inconvenience poor," I am "sometimes I just eat potatoes because I have $5 until payday" poor. However, I try to shop at the farmers market for most things (it's cheaper anyway). Ideally, I'd prefer to have food that is organic, but when I have some room to be choosy with my purchases, my primary concern is that the workers on the farm are not being mistreated or exploited.

I eat meat, but I won't buy meat that is the product of shady farming/slaughtering practices e.g. feeding them unhealthy things, giving them hormones and antibiotics, cruel treatment, killing them with some big creepy machine, etc. Produce and grains I'm going to buy no matter what and I'm going to buy what I can afford. I can be more selective with meat because I don't need to eat it that often.
That is a fair concern. Farm workers, especially for big farms, are not well paid and tend to be over worked.

Greedy Consumer

I choose lazy food, healthy food, or tasty food. Lazy being liek chips or cereal. Tasty being pizza or chocolate. Healthy being fruits nuts and vegetables, usually gmo I think. I am inconsistent, sometimes have balanced meals sometimes don't. Sometimes healthy sometimes unhealthy.

Fanatical Zealot

Aquaponics would be a neat thing to have, to grow fish and other sources of food in an efficient manner. Also doesn't need pesticides or fertilizer, so it's quite a bit safer in that regard. It's not considered organic but otherwise meets all the other labels of approval when grown correctly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff