frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
yay, responsible meat eating! blaugh

I think people should eat more rabbit 3nodding

except that's a genuinely bad idea.
How so?

rabbit starvation.

it lacks . . . something, that the human body needs, so it has to be supplemented by other meats.
You don't even need meat at all.

vegan propaganda.

there's a reason our ancestors ate meat.
It's not propaganda, it's fact. If you needed meat vegetarians couldn't survive.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
How so?

rabbit starvation.

it lacks . . . something, that the human body needs, so it has to be supplemented by other meats.

vegan propaganda.

It's not propaganda, it's fact. If you needed meat vegetarians couldn't survive.

there's also a reason that vegetarians tend toward the unhealthy-looking, and are a relatively recent phenomenon.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
How so?

rabbit starvation.

vegan propaganda.

there's also a reason that vegetarians tend toward the unhealthy-looking, and are a relatively recent phenomenon.
I dunno, those meat-eaters lookin' pretty unhealthy too. (See: America)

Just like with any diet a vegetarian one must be balanced properly to provide good health.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
frozen_water

vegan propaganda.

I dunno, those meat-eaters lookin' pretty unhealthy too. (See: America)

Just like with any diet a vegetarian one must be balanced properly to provide good health.

and balance is kinda harder when you've completely eliminated one of the elements you're supposed to balance.

besides, there are some people that genuinely cannot go vegetarian, due to an inability to process certain non-animal proteins ( though, I fully expect for you to say "that's a lie," since most vegetarian advocates tend to insist "well, they just aren't doing it right, they should try again." )

Greedy Giver

Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

EDIT: I like your taste in music, though, as evidenced by your siggy. one of the greatest songs ever
no man, rabbit is superior to chicken in every way (except that they don't lay eggs, but commercial eggs don't come from commercial meat chickens anyway)

and thank you. actually, its about time I put new lyrics in my sig, thats been there for a while...

rabbit starvation disagrees with your assumption that rabbit is superior to chicken.

though, there is something to be said for the fact that birdmeats have inherent risks that mammal meats just don't

I didn't say we should only eat rabbit, but replacing our consumption of chicken with rabbit would be a good thing. Of course, people shouldn't stop eating poultry all together, nor should we no longer eat delicious ungulates, that would be just as dumb as the concept of veganism.
But it is well known that a lot of people consume too much meat (lean or otherwise, eating a full pound in one sitting is overdoing it) and we all know that too much saturated fats contribute to hear disease, etc. while at the same time polyunsaturated fats should be more prevalent in most people's diets.
Eating more rabbit isn't going to kill people as long as they aren't complete dumbasses and go flyin off the handle about it for no good reason.

Liberal Dabbler

Keltoi Samurai

rabbit starvation.

I checked wikipedia. "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger that can only be satisfied by consumption of fat or carbohydrates." Apparently a diet that's mostly heavy protein can overwhelm the kidneys and liver.

But all this means is that you shouldn't just eat rabbit. As long as you're eating rabbit with carbs, veggies, and some source of fat you'll be golden.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
FlySammyJ
Keltoi Samurai

rabbit starvation.

I checked wikipedia. "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger that can only be satisfied by consumption of fat or carbohydrates." Apparently a diet that's mostly heavy protein can overwhelm the kidneys and liver.

But all this means is that you shouldn't just eat rabbit. As long as you're eating rabbit with carbs, veggies, and some source of fat you'll be golden.

right, but combining meat with another source of fat is both counter-intuitive, and adding additional steps when it would just be easier to choose a meat that also supplied the necessary fats.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

EDIT: I like your taste in music, though, as evidenced by your siggy. one of the greatest songs ever
no man, rabbit is superior to chicken in every way (except that they don't lay eggs, but commercial eggs don't come from commercial meat chickens anyway)

and thank you. actually, its about time I put new lyrics in my sig, thats been there for a while...

rabbit starvation disagrees with your assumption that rabbit is superior to chicken.

though, there is something to be said for the fact that birdmeats have inherent risks that mammal meats just don't

I didn't say we should only eat rabbit, but replacing our consumption of chicken with rabbit would be a good thing. Of course, people shouldn't stop eating poultry all together, nor should we no longer eat delicious ungulates, that would be just as dumb as the concept of veganism.
But it is well known that a lot of people consume too much meat (lean or otherwise, eating a full pound in one sitting is overdoing it) and we all know that too much saturated fats contribute to hear disease, etc. while at the same time polyunsaturated fats should be more prevalent in most people's diets.
Eating more rabbit isn't going to kill people as long as they aren't complete dumbasses and go flyin off the handle about it for no good reason.

but the lack of necessary fats in rabbit means it's adding extra steps to add a food to get those fats alongside rabbit for meat.
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

Rabbit starvation is actually called protein poisioning. And it actually only happens if you eat the meat only. if you eat even a slightly varied diet (Which can come from eating the organs and bones of the rabbit, something most people just don't wanna do, or just eat a flippin' carrot) then you are fine. razz

In every other sense it is one of the healthiest meats. I raise rabbits. They are very low in fat and high in protein. They have less fat then even a chicken does and they grow quickly and multiply well. And they have a by-product of furs.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Keltoi Samurai
and balance is kinda harder when you've completely eliminated one of the elements you're supposed to balance.
Citation needed.

What exactly is provided in meat that I can't find elsewhere?

Quote:
besides, there are some people that genuinely cannot go vegetarian, due to an inability to process certain non-animal proteins ( though, I fully expect for you to say "that's a lie," since most vegetarian advocates tend to insist "well, they just aren't doing it right, they should try again." )
Citation needed.

Which proteins?

Greedy Giver

Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

but the lack of necessary fats in rabbit means it's adding extra steps to add a food to get those fats alongside rabbit for meat.
thats only an issue for people who can't cook

understanding balanced nutrition and knowing how to cook is all a part of "responsible meat eating"

edit: sry I'm gonna get off my phone and use my computer now. What I was gonna say is people who can't cook are dumbasses so they don't count mrgreen
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
Citation needed.

Quote:
Citation needed.

Which proteins?

Hi! Vitamin B12 is the most common vitamin that is hard to find in vegetables. it's #1 sources however are lean meats like chicken which are underconsumed in a modern society so many people who DO eat meat aren't getting enough. :3

And while Samurai is wrong in that those proteins can't be digested by humans there is a problem that plants can have trouble providing enough fat and protein for an active diet. The love of my life needs a meat-based diet because he has such a high metabolism that he looses weight when sitting still and shoveling carbs. To gain weight he must work out and build muscle and consume massive amounts of protein and calories every day. To achieve this without eating 12 hours a day he has to consume a meat-based diet.
On another side, many animals can't digest the proteins found in plants, such as obligate carnivores, and some people have legume allergies preventing them from getting proteins through plant based means.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
AChocolateMouse
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

Rabbit starvation is actually called protein poisioning. And it actually only happens if you eat the meat only. if you eat even a slightly varied diet (Which can come from eating the organs and bones of the rabbit, something most people just don't wanna do, or just eat a flippin' carrot) then you are fine. razz

In every other sense it is one of the healthiest meats. I raise rabbits. They are very low in fat and high in protein. They have less fat then even a chicken does and they grow quickly and multiply well. And they have a by-product of furs.

the pelts are very useful, I won't lie. one of the warmest liners for boots, gloves or winter hats I've found.

but it seems that you're focused, here on a sorta "fat=bad" kick, whereas fats aren't inherently bad, they just need to be consumed in moderation ( the US seems to have a hard time with this: on the one hand, you have people shoveling grease down their gullet like it's going out of style, on the other, you have people who seem to think "if too much fat is bad, then all fat must be bad, so we should cut it all out!" ).

a meat that contains a higher concentration of fat than rabbit, eaten in moderation, would be preferable, since rabbit starvation is about too much protein AND not enough fat
Keltoi Samurai
AChocolateMouse
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat
Keltoi Samurai
kitti kat

the pelts are very useful, I won't lie. one of the warmest liners for boots, gloves or winter hats I've found.

but it seems that you're focused, here on a sorta "fat=bad" kick, whereas fats aren't inherently bad, they just need to be consumed in moderation ( the US seems to have a hard time with this: on the one hand, you have people shoveling grease down their gullet like it's going out of style, on the other, you have people who seem to think "if too much fat is bad, then all fat must be bad, so we should cut it all out!" ).

a meat that contains a higher concentration of fat than rabbit, eaten in moderation, would be preferable, since rabbit starvation is about too much protein AND not enough fat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Perhaps you should read this. It's not a matter of fat at all; the science behind it is strictly an overabundance of protein. Also carbohydrates such as those found in veggies and grains become fat in the body, leaving behind and additional need for fat when eating a varied diet.

And fat isn't bad in moderation. But the moment you eat a greasy hamburger you have likely over-consumed fat for the day. And then you need to eat a leaner meal later to balance it out or you need to work it off. A leaner meal can be achieved through eating a meal of rabbit, but not chicken since a meal of chicken has a fair balance of fat. So rabbit in a modern diet becomes very important.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
AChocolateMouse
frozen_water
Keltoi Samurai
Citation needed.

Quote:
Citation needed.

Which proteins?

Hi! Vitamin B12 is the most common vitamin that is hard to find in vegetables. it's #1 sources however are lean meats like chicken which are underconsumed in a modern society so many people who DO eat meat aren't getting enough. :3

And while Samurai is wrong in that those proteins can't be digested by humans there is a problem that plants can have trouble providing enough fat and protein for an active diet. The love of my life needs a meat-based diet because he has such a high metabolism that he looses weight when sitting still and shoveling carbs. To gain weight he must work out and build muscle and consume massive amounts of protein and calories every day. To achieve this without eating 12 hours a day he has to consume a meat-based diet.
On another side, many animals can't digest the proteins found in plants, such as obligate carnivores, and some people have legume allergies preventing them from getting proteins through plant based means.
I appreciate the post, it's very insightful.

However the point still stands, you don't need meat.

Also from what I understand you can B12 from eggs, yes?
Mr.Samurai you seem to be assuming all those who don't eat meat are vegans, many people abstain from meat but continue to consume animal products such as milk and eggs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff