Welcome to Gaia! ::

know_need_four_names
Would you like it if some one installed a hidden security camera in the toilet bowl?

Sorry, but that's not for security, I don't care how you try to explain it away. That's just perverse.
know_need_four_names
Priest of Odd
Deniem
Why do they mind if they are being monitored slightly more closely?

Unless they are the culprit, or they are doing something else illegal, they shouldn't care.

I don't know, but several people have voiced concerns about it. Something about violation of privacy, which is complete bullshit. I personally want criminals to get caught...
People dont like being watched. Even if they are doing nothing illegal. Would you like it if some one installed a hidden security camera in the toilet bowl? I want justice just as badly as anyone else however the ends dont always justify the means.

These people are only being watched, not spied on. It's the difference between watching somebody walk down the street, and watching somebody walk down the street while recording them and taking notes.
Priest of Odd
I don't remember where it took place, but there's one town that had a three year old murder case that still didn't have any suspects. Their only clue was some DNA sample taken from the scene of the crime. Just recently, they have been going to people on the streets of the town asking for voluntary DNA samples, so that they can make a comparison. They also are up front about the options. If you refuse to give a DNA sample (as is your right), you will be watched a little more carefully by the police force. Some people think this is a violation of rights, even though it is all voluntary.
Quote:
Maybe I just don't want to give a DNA sample. I don't want police watching me for just that reason, it's almost as bad as searching without a warrant. They shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Well guess what. If they didn't watch these people more carefully, it would be downright irresponsible of them, and then you'd be complaining about that!
Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty! These people are practically forcing you to prove innocense!

FYI: Innocent until proven guilty is only applicable in the courtroom. I checked. If you haven't been brought to court, then nobody is subject to the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing.

What do you think? Is this a violation of privacy? Should the cops be banned from doing this? Or are there any additional concerns about the DNA "drag-net".

It's not a violation of privacy at all! If there's a crime, a murderer on the loose, I'd hope the cops would be able to catch him by any means necessary.

If there are lives that could be possibly endangered, I think the law enforcements should be able to take a DNA sample from anyone. It’s not like the government is after you.
If I was told why they needed my DNA, then I would not have a problem giving them any. But if I wasn't told anything, then screw that. I have mixed feelings about the invasion of privacy thing. I would not want someone watching me because I refused to give any samples. But at the sametime...if it helps them catch the criminal...

As I said, I would feel awkward if I was being watched for refusing. They DID say it was a voluntary thing so that should give me the right to decline without worrying about anything.
Pwn3r_F0x
Deniem
Why do they mind if they are being monitored slightly more closely?

Unless they are the culprit, or they are doing something else illegal, they shouldn't care.

Exactly. In any case of "invasion of privacy" only the guilty should worry.
Well, some people have an STD that they want to hide.
Sheko
I have mixed feelings about the invasion of privacy thing.

It's not an invasion of privacy!

This isn't like cops are breaking down your door, and electrocuting you into confessing! That would be an invasion of privacy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff