Welcome to Gaia! ::

Obsessive Loiterer

10,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
The Ogallala aquifer currently supplies water for almost 30 percent of US irrigated farmland. This area happens to be the grain belt. Most of this grain is corn, which happens to be in most Americans' food in one form or another. This aquifer and all others just like it have just been depleted and are not replenished with rainfall. Stored reserves of corn will last only a few years
User Image
Example of an aquifer, the Ogallala.

Your mission is to design a plan, system or other method of overcoming the drying out of Central US farmland and the foodshortages that would ensue.

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
Genetically modify the s**t out of some corn so that it can grow in more arid conditions.

Dapper Reveler

Corn is more of a cash crop than a food item.

Dapper Reveler

Jumping Jehosaphat
Genetically modify the s**t out of some corn so that it can grow in more arid conditions.
It really wouldn't take much more than breeding, and I'm sure they've already developed breeds like that just that they aren't quite as profitable.

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
Avgvsto
Jumping Jehosaphat
It really wouldn't take much more than breeding, and I'm sure they've already developed breeds like that just that they aren't quite as profitable.

no, what keeps them from being used is public hysteria and lack of knowledge on genetically modified produce.

Obsessive Loiterer

10,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Avgvsto

Corn is used for almost everything if you look at your food ingredients. They're always listed in most abundant first.

Not to mention animal feed. Milk cows, cows for slaughter, pigs, everything takes feed derived from corn.

I'm not sure what this guys sources are beyond his experts(if they are), but it's worth a watch keeping that in mind.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Establish a government program through the Department of Agriculture, in conjunction with state governments located along the Pacific-Atlantic-Gulf coasts, to build a series of desalination plants. Potable water is always useful, as well as (possibly) the salt and other byproducts.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
GMO's and some type of water system maybe desalination.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Create factories on the Pacific Coast, that emit large amounts of water vapor into the air. The vapor accumulates in the sky, forming clouds, becoming dense and heavy as they move east, until they themselves can no longer sustain density, and emit liquid water back to the ground, in the form of rain. Over the Midwest. Supplying crops with (mostly) natural rainwater.

Whenever a drought is experienced, we fire these bastards up, and tell Mother Nature to ******** herself.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The Keasbey Knight
Avgvsto

Corn is used for almost everything if you look at your food ingredients. They're always listed in most abundant first.

You can thank government subsidization for that. Because of that subsidization, corn is unnaturally cheap. And the primary use for it, is HFCS, which is a nice, cheap sweetener. Which, if memory serves me right, is supposed to be diabetic friendly.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If the goal is solely to end a food shortage then wheat oats and barley are the obvious choices , there are many drought resistant and high yield strains available as a result of research done to make Australia farmable. These only need a fraction of the water of a corn crop to produce food of a similar quantity and quality.

And the waste products of these crops can be processed into animal feeds.

About the only thing that will be lost is the high fructose corn syrup, and losing that would be no big deal and America may end up healthier for losing it.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Import water from a Asteroid

might as well Genetically modify the corn and cattle to need less water as well

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Manipulate farm subsidies on the state level to encourage crops that require less water in the midwest. We've got plenty of water here on the coast.

Incidentally, I thought we were producing plenty of corn, and that it was wheat that was a problem this year.
Plaster the entirety of the Nevada desert with solar power plants. Use the energy to purify sea water from the Gulf of Mexico for use in farming. We'll need thousands of kilometers of pipelines as well. I project the cost to amount to 10 billion, minimum. When can we start?

Dapper Reveler

The Keasbey Knight
Avgvsto

Not to mention animal feed. Milk cows, cows for slaughter, pigs, everything takes feed derived from corn.
Yea sweeteners are in almost everything. And yea people feed all their livestock with whatever product is cheapest at a given time. If the midwest's corn is no longer the most abundant then we got the wests even better produce production.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff