Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Phantom

Jacque De Martyr
Desideraht
Jacque De Martyr
Desideraht
People constantly argue this very passionately, and I have difficulty showing them that you can be racist against ANY group. In fact, I was arguing with a UNIVERSITY student who was studying women's rights and civil rights and that sort of s**t as a major. And he was acting like because he goes to uni, he's right and I'm wrong. But he argued that you can't be racist against white people. I think that is automatically a racist statement, and I can't believe he used his schooling to try to cover his a**. Really pissed me off.

I sort of agree with the Uni kid based upon well.... World history?

Generally Whites have the upper hand.
Racism is not about the "upper hand". Racism is ANY time that you oppress someone based on their race. So basically saying "Whites can't be victims of racism!" is racist, via erasure.
Which hardly ever happens on the White end of the road.
Uh, no, just by saying that' you're being racist. "White people are immune to racism!" is racist as to saying "Men are immune to sexism!" Hence this thread. An oppressed majority (people of color, women) does not suddenly wipe out the existence of an oppressed minority (white people, men). Let's also be clear. Sexism is rampant in both directions, via gender roles. And racism is rampant in both directions, via racial expectations.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Reevva
Yeah some kid in my Chemistry class told the entire class that this one girl is Asian, so she must be extremely smart. The class just kind of looked at him like he was stupid, and he kept on repeating it... I eventually told him that he is making a really racist statement. He told me in a really matter of fact tone that its impossible for him to be racist, because he is black. emotion_eyebrow

Our teacher over heard the whole thing, and she even told you that your skin color does not make you not racist. ******** people who think you can't be racist towards white people, or sexist towards men for that matter...

A white person can be the victim of racism, it just pretty much never happens.

Or brushed off. It is minimized because we're painted as the bad guys of the past who deserve it.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Wait until Major Lima comes in. She'll tell you all about Social Sciences and why people say that women can't be sexist and minorities can't be racist.

I actually don't see how I can be a racist, seeing as how people who look like me failed at everything they pretty much tried to do and didn't build civillization until they were influenced by Europeans.

I don't see what any of that has to do with ill-reasoned hatred or stereotyping of another race.

There are many examples of racism that exist, but because white people are the majority it's "not as important" or not as detrimental because all anyone ever remembers is that white people oppressed everyone else and so it's not a big deal even when people get killed over it.

I'm tempted to say that the killings could be justified based upon the actions of bigoted colonialists up to the recent actions of Mitt Romney. I don't see how the killings aren't justified assuming they are hypothetical.

Whoa, did you just say that racial killing is OK because white people have a history of oppressing people? I do not own a slave or think women still "belong" in the kitchen. As someone who has never committed such an atrocity, are you saying it's justified if a minority kills me? SERIOUSLY?

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Reevva
Yeah some kid in my Chemistry class told the entire class that this one girl is Asian, so she must be extremely smart. The class just kind of looked at him like he was stupid, and he kept on repeating it... I eventually told him that he is making a really racist statement. He told me in a really matter of fact tone that its impossible for him to be racist, because he is black. emotion_eyebrow

Our teacher over heard the whole thing, and she even told you that your skin color does not make you not racist. ******** people who think you can't be racist towards white people, or sexist towards men for that matter...

Or brushed off. It is minimized because we're painted as the bad guys of the past who deserve it.

ill treatment is justified. Redeem the sins of the Father.

Illogical, even the Bible rejected that notion in the NT.
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Reevva

ill treatment is justified. Redeem the sins of the Father.

Illogical, even the Bible rejected that notion in the NT.
That is why we fail. Stupidity isn't justified by allegorical ramblings.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Wait until Major Lima comes in. She'll tell you all about Social Sciences and why people say that women can't be sexist and minorities can't be racist.

I actually don't see how I can be a racist, seeing as how people who look like me failed at everything they pretty much tried to do and didn't build civillization until they were influenced by Europeans.

I don't see what any of that has to do with ill-reasoned hatred or stereotyping of another race.

There are many examples of racism that exist, but because white people are the majority it's "not as important" or not as detrimental because all anyone ever remembers is that white people oppressed everyone else and so it's not a big deal even when people get killed over it.

I'm tempted to say that the killings could be justified based upon the actions of bigoted colonialists up to the recent actions of Mitt Romney. I don't see how the killings aren't justified assuming they are hypothetical.

Whoa, did you just say that racial killing is OK because white people have a history of oppressing people? I do not own a slave or think women still "belong" in the kitchen. As someone who has never committed such an atrocity, are you saying it's justified if a minority kills me? SERIOUSLY?
To some degree, yes. It depends on the cause.

Okay, how about me taking a walk in a primarily POC neighborhood, to go see a friend (not that anyone would know.) You're saying that it would be okay for me to be killed simply because people I don't know once oppressed POC that these current POC knew nothing about? In reality, they should be against their African brothers, because it was very true that tribes would sell each other out as slaves, and take other African people as slaves.

Dapper Phantom

Repost:

Jacque De Martyr
Desideraht
Jacque De Martyr
Desideraht
People constantly argue this very passionately, and I have difficulty showing them that you can be racist against ANY group. In fact, I was arguing with a UNIVERSITY student who was studying women's rights and civil rights and that sort of s**t as a major. And he was acting like because he goes to uni, he's right and I'm wrong. But he argued that you can't be racist against white people. I think that is automatically a racist statement, and I can't believe he used his schooling to try to cover his a**. Really pissed me off.

I sort of agree with the Uni kid based upon well.... World history?

Generally Whites have the upper hand.
Racism is not about the "upper hand". Racism is ANY time that you oppress someone based on their race. So basically saying "Whites can't be victims of racism!" is racist, via erasure.
Which hardly ever happens on the White end of the road.
Uh, no, just by saying that' you're being racist. "White people are immune to racism!" is racist as to saying "Men are immune to sexism!" Hence this thread. An oppressed majority (people of color, women) does not suddenly wipe out the existence of an oppressed minority (white people, men). Let's also be clear. Sexism is rampant in both directions, via gender roles. And racism is rampant in both directions, via racial expectations.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland

Okay, how about me taking a walk in a primarily POC neighborhood, to go see a friend (not that anyone would know.) You're saying that it would be okay for me to be killed simply because people I don't know once oppressed POC that these current POC knew nothing about? In reality, they should be against their African brothers, because it was very true that tribes would sell each other out as slaves, and take other African people as slaves.

The killing is justified, because you've done nothing to fix income disparities or the IQ Gap. African on African slavery wasn't slavery in the sense that you're speaking in(specifically Bantu regions) it was more of a temporary hostage situation. People were traded for the sake of utility in an honorable fashion. You still had your dignity.

Uhh, and what the ******** am I, a convicted Felon who was raised on welfare, supposed to do about that??

I deem you a troll, ******** off.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland
Jacque De Martyr
Phallic Wonderland

The killing is justified, because you've done nothing to fix income disparities or the IQ Gap. African on African slavery wasn't slavery in the sense that you're speaking in(specifically Bantu regions) it was more of a temporary hostage situation. People were traded for the sake of utility in an honorable fashion. You still had your dignity.

Uhh, and what the ******** am I, a convicted Felon who was raised on welfare, supposed to do about that??

I deem you a troll, ******** off.
I was merely referencing the idea of... Collective over the individual in tribal societies.

A convicted felon raised on welfare.

So what? It doesn't excuse you from being a good person, you could give a child a book or something or donate to a charity.

There are lots of ways to help those who never got help in the first place.

And why should I be responsible for the success of others if I am not in such a position? Take responsibility for yourselves, everyone! Don't b***h and complain that the reason you are in such a position is because of someone else and not, I don't know, because you put no real effort into succeeding? I understand the welfare system is currently a trap; I'm in it myself. However, being in a poor neighborhood and going to an under-funded school does not prevent someone from going to the library if they genuinely want to be more educated, being in that position does not prevent someone from getting training to be a better student or worker.

Being poor and black does not excuse someone from trying to be better than their neighbor, or doing good for their own community so they can give a hand-up rather than expect a hand-out from someone who has no reason to carry the burden of their ancestors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff