Welcome to Gaia! ::

The people who obeyed and carried out his commands were just as evil if not moreso, for allowing such atrocities to continue.

"I was only doing my job" that's such a copout. I would say everyone who followed him was just as evil. That's a lot of evil people.

"Oh it was all Hitler's doing" Hitler couldn't have done s**t without people who agreed with him and actually did the labor. The people who built the gas chambers and concentration camps. The people who experimented on children. The people who shot and killed others on the streets and in camps. The people who kept the prisoners starving. The racists and bigots who wanted everyone Hitler didn't like exterminated.

Those people were extremely evil.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
And in their situation you would have done what exactly?

Having said that, everyone loves Rommel.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I've actually read Hitlers life story and a lot of little known facts paint a very different picture of the man.

He was a shameless opportunist without a concept of honor, loyalty or integrity, but in all likelihood his other sins were more a product of his opportunism and desire to get elected. Germany at the time was far more evil then he was, if anything, Germany social climates at the time made him evil.

Eloquent Streaker

Believe it or not, not every Nazi was evil. A lot of people only joined the party because Hitler seemed like the man Germany needed at the time, and many of them had their "oh, s**t" moment when he began ******** things up. I've actually watched interviews of former concentration camp guards who felt true remorse for what they did.

And the members of the military were not even Nazis- they weren't allowed to join the party. They were literally just doing their jobs, same as the soldiers they were fighting.

Not saying it justifies what they allowed to happen or took part in, but still, not every German was as full of evil as they were bratwurst.
Dr Dillinger

QFT

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Requiem in Mortis
Believe it or not, not every Nazi was evil. A lot of people only joined the party because Hitler seemed like the man Germany needed at the time, and many of them had their "oh, s**t" moment when he began ******** things up. I've actually watched interviews of former concentration camp guards who felt true remorse for what they did.

And the members of the military were not even Nazis- they weren't allowed to join the party. They were literally just doing their jobs, same as the soldiers they were fighting.

Not saying it justifies what they allowed to happen or took part in, but still, not every German was as full of evil as they were bratwurst.

This. Plus as well, in relation to the guards or many of the ordinary civilian Germans, it was a case of 'shut up and listen', or 'we'll do X, Y and Z to your family'. Not a difficult choice.
CH1YO
Dr Dillinger

QFT

"There exists a real danger that our friend Rommel is becoming a kind of magical or bogey-man to our troops, who are talking far too much about him. He is by no means a superman, although he is undoubtedly very energetic and able. Even if he were a superman, it would still be highly undesirable that our men should credit him with supernatural powers.

I am not jealous of Rommel."

-General Claude Auchinleck

Unbeatable Survivor

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
Hitler was evil. but he was necessary for Germany to recover. He was the man Germany needed to recover from the hurt the rest of Europe personally put on it, and he taught the western world a lesson on punishing people with war reparations.

The people working under him that weren't on board with pointless murder of people of a different ethnicity went along with it to protect their families. There are tales of people who managed to work the system and do good despite their position.

Stalin was way worse though.
Dr Dillinger
CH1YO
Dr Dillinger

QFT

"There exists a real danger that our friend Rommel is becoming a kind of magical or bogey-man to our troops, who are talking far too much about him. He is by no means a superman, although he is undoubtedly very energetic and able. Even if he were a superman, it would still be highly undesirable that our men should credit him with supernatural powers.

I am not jealous of Rommel."

-General Claude Auchinleck

I've not encountered that before, I'm glad to have now. Thank you so very, very much.

Adored Admirer

Heil Hitler!
Great, more German guilt. Because that's not what helped Hitler rise to power or anything.

There's so much to say in response to how ignorant the OP is, but it's just too must to handle and probably would be a waste of my time to try to explain to her.

I guess Americans were pretty evil too for largely being in support of Hitler for a while (among other things around that time).

Adored Admirer

tuxkatz6
Great, more German guilt. Because that's not what helped Hitler rise to power or anything.

There's so much to say in response to how ignorant the OP is, but it's just too must to handle and probably would be a waste of my time to try to explain to her.

I guess Americans were pretty evil too for largely being in support of Hitler for a while (among other things around that time).

Forget "German guilt".
You realize that to go against Hitler meant you and likely your whole family would be placed in danger, right? Many people were doing what they had to do.
My grandfather died in Auswitch and I find this thread very insulting to his memory.
Sergeant Pancakebatter
You realize that to go against Hitler meant you and likely your whole family would be placed in danger, right? Many people were doing what they had to do.

And who was monitoring any dissenters? The people making threats and acting upon them were evil.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff