Welcome to Gaia! ::

theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3
I'd give absolutely anything to live forever.
Even if it mean the you would have to spend that forever being tortured.?

Forever is only so long. If the people who are torturing me die then I'm free again. Time loses it's meaning when you can live forever.
Inritus_v3
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3

Forever is only so long. If the people who are torturing me die then I'm free again. Time loses it's meaning when you can live forever.
If you can live for why can't the people torturing you? That's what I'm asking nothing else kid. You die like a normal person or live forever but be tortured foreve too.

Fanatical Zealot

Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
if we did have people living forever, we could have amazing civilizations or terrible tyrants living forever

No government lasts forever. History has shown us that every civilisation has had an eventual decline and then a final collapse. I don't think immortality would change any of that, although the rest of your post is quite true.

Let's say we had a benign dictator, who's actually good at his job. Suddenly his son takes over or someone else and it goes to s**t.

If that never happened theoretically prosperity could last forever. Theoretically.

I understand that, but there would be many other ways in which that good situation could go badly and end, other than the benign dictator dying. Yes, theoretically the prosperity could last forever, but what if, for example, a coup d'etat was staged?

He can't die so it would be difficult to remove him; it's possible he'd take everything over by himself. xp

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3
What kind o' torture we talkin' 'bout? Physical, emotional, er that bullshit torture people assume will happen if'n yer immortal where everyone ye know dies and ye become a jaded uncarin' person who has no fun and hates that they be immortal?

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
ChaosKnights
In the hypothetical situation one had eternal life and eternal youth to which one would have infinite time to do whatever they wished, doesn't this just make the idea of 'living' pointless?

I've heard in a few forums of people wishing for the strangest things such as wanting to live forever or wanting to be young forever. Honestly I can see the appeal in it. But is it really of any worth in end I wonder?

As I thought about it if I had infinite time on my hands I'm pretty sure I'd be the worlds greatest procrastinator or perhaps the most bored person on Earth. When I put more thought into it with a limited amount of time to get things done and the amount of time you have to do other things, one learns to appreciate the things they have in life and value them for what they are worth.

Of course my thinking could be backwards on this. So I'm curious of what other people think. Is Methuselah really such a great thing? Can one still be productive when they have forever to do it? Is there really any meaning to anything when you have an eternity to do it?

People don't really think about what "living forever" actually means. You get this from a lot of religious people, the idea being that they will exist forever in Heaven. Well even if it is the greatest place ever and you get everything you've ever wanted, think about being there for five hundred years. or five thousand. Or five hundred thousand. Or five hundred million. The fact is, the human mind can't really grasp the concept of infinity. Is it really heaven, if it goes on forever and ever and ever and ever and there is no end? How long before you do everything there is to possibly do, go everywhere there is to possibly go, talk about everything there is to possibly talk about, etc?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind maybe an extended lifespan, a few hundred years maybe. But forever?

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
if we did have people living forever, we could have amazing civilizations or terrible tyrants living forever

No government lasts forever. History has shown us that every civilisation has had an eventual decline and then a final collapse. I don't think immortality would change any of that, although the rest of your post is quite true.

Let's say we had a benign dictator, who's actually good at his job. Suddenly his son takes over or someone else and it goes to s**t.

If that never happened theoretically prosperity could last forever. Theoretically.

I understand that, but there would be many other ways in which that good situation could go badly and end, other than the benign dictator dying. Yes, theoretically the prosperity could last forever, but what if, for example, a coup d'etat was staged?

He can't die so it would be difficult to remove him; it's possible he'd take everything over by himself. xp

It'd depend of the specific conditions of the regime and the country, I guess, but I can definitely see your point though =P Who knows how those kinds of things would be though if all the population could live forever though.

Fanatical Zealot

theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3

If you can live for why can't the people torturing you? That's what I'm asking nothing else kid. You die like a normal person or live forever but be tortured foreve too.

In what way are you/would I be tortured?
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3

I'd still want to live forever. Kid.

Fanatical Zealot

Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Suicidesoldier#1

It'd depend of the specific conditions of the regime and the country, I guess, but I can definitely see your point though =P Who knows how those kinds of things would be though if all the population could live forever though.

Mhhm.

A lot of problems would be solved in any case, and most people would have no reasons to steal or do anything of the sort. 3nodding

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I don't think everyone should get to live forever, only a select chosen peoples. Of course, myself and my fiance would be number one picks, and then we could truly spend forever together. I imagine it being more like Anne Rice vampires without the need for blood and the occasional birth certificate forgery.

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Aerlinniel C Robleda

Mhhm.

A lot of problems would be solved in any case, and most people would have no reasons to steal or do anything of the sort. 3nodding

That's true, everything would be much better in that sense, although I guess that resources would have to be carefully controlled and planned for confused It would definitely solve many problems 3nodding

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Phallic Wonderland
I don't think everyone should get to live forever, only a select chosen peoples. Of course, myself and my fiance would be number one picks, and then we could truly spend forever together. I imagine it being more like Anne Rice vampires without the need for blood and the occasional birth certificate forgery.

What would that choice be based on? Blue blood or something similar? confused I can't imagine a worse future than elitism applied to this.

Gracious Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3
theothermanoverthere
Inritus_v3

Why would you be tortured forever? Why wouldn't they stop? Why would the only choices be 'die or be tortured forever'? There is no greater thing than being alive, and therefore living forever would therefore be the greatest thing.
The age of the Highlanders is nigh...

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Aerlinniel C Robleda
Phallic Wonderland

What would that choice be based on? Blue blood or something similar? confused I can't imagine a worse future than elitism applied to this.

Well, personally I would choose based on intelligence (sanity is a good one too) so that they can use their immortality responsibly. Lol, blue blood. I grew up on welfare, I don't give two shits about the elite. Intelligent people would be more apt to appreciate the everlasting change and knowledge as the world ages around them. And then at least my fiance would be able to finance asteroid mining and replacing the magnetic field around Mars to make it livable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff