Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld
Who wouldn't want to live forever? As long as I have people I love with me then it would be awesome! You get to do whatever you want, experience life in the far future, you get to bum around for eternity or finally do something brave in your life. I would imagine that it'd be pretty boring to live for an eternity, but I fear death too much and just the idea of living forever (even as a ghost) is pretty darn good to me. I don't want to be in a deep sleep forever while my bones, flesh, hair melts away and decompose. gonk

But would living forever render the expression "carpe diem" useless? I know fer sure, I don't "carpe diem," but I'm really gonna one of these days... gonk
Every one you love will die and you wont. One day when the every thing as died you will be the only thing left floting though space.

What if everyone else lives forever too?

See, didn't think of that.
Fear of death

Death = Fear of the unknown

Same reason waaaayyy back when people were afraid to take a bath more than once every few weeks. They thought how your skin would prune up, it was scary to them as it was unknown as to why that happened (or atleast back then it was)
i want to see my future family
ChaosKnights
In the hypothetical situation one had eternal life and eternal youth to which one would have infinite time to do whatever they wished, doesn't this just make the idea of 'living' pointless?

I've heard in a few forums of people wishing for the strangest things such as wanting to live forever or wanting to be young forever. Honestly I can see the appeal in it. But is it really of any worth in end I wonder?

As I thought about it if I had infinite time on my hands I'm pretty sure I'd be the worlds greatest procrastinator or perhaps the most bored person on Earth. When I put more thought into it with a limited amount of time to get things done and the amount of time you have to do other things, one learns to appreciate the things they have in life and value them for what they are worth.

Of course my thinking could be backwards on this. So I'm curious of what other people think. Is Methuselah really such a great thing? Can one still be productive when they have forever to do it? Is there really any meaning to anything when you have an eternity to do it?

Immortality is psychologically neccessary, so I would say the answer to your question is "Sanity"

Greedy Consumer

Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld
Who wouldn't want to live forever? As long as I have people I love with me then it would be awesome! You get to do whatever you want, experience life in the far future, you get to bum around for eternity or finally do something brave in your life. I would imagine that it'd be pretty boring to live for an eternity, but I fear death too much and just the idea of living forever (even as a ghost) is pretty darn good to me. I don't want to be in a deep sleep forever while my bones, flesh, hair melts away and decompose. gonk

But would living forever render the expression "carpe diem" useless? I know fer sure, I don't "carpe diem," but I'm really gonna one of these days... gonk
Every one you love will die and you wont. One day when the every thing as died you will be the only thing left floting though space.

the person didnt think, they are blabbing the popular answer.

Fanatical Zealot

Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld

lol xp

Greedy Consumer

Suicidesoldier#1
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld

lol xp
well, thats what it seems like when everyone says that over and over because they would be more content for life to not change or something.
Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld

Then in such case assuming we can't colonize other worlds, reproduction would pretty much have to be outlawed. If new life can't occur then the human race will remain evolutionarily stagnant for the rest of eternity.

Fanatical Zealot

ChaosKnights
Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld

Then in such case assuming we can't colonize other worlds, reproduction would pretty much have to be outlawed. If new life can't occur then the human race will remain evolutionarily stagnant for the rest of eternity.

YAY!

Evolution is boring.
Dandrogyny
theothermanoverthere
Dandrogyny
theothermanoverthere
To every one that is talking about learning everything they would be able to know and s**t like that. You do know that they are starting think that the brain can only hold so much info before it can't learn anything else? This would mean you would need ways to make more room up there. So have fun with a mac stiking out of the side of you head.
I don't get why one would want to learn everything when they ARE going to eventually die anyway. Sounds kind of pointless.
I'm talking about in the context of living for ever.
Well if there's a "forever" then you can't possibly ever catch up with the endless possibilities of knowledge. So that's kinda moot also.
My point that you missed was that you might not be able to learn everything or even close to it. There might be a limited amount you can learn.
Suicidesoldier#1
theothermanoverthere
Lalaworld

Wht if only the rapest would live for ever. s**t like that would suck to. Life needs death.

Dapper Phantom

theothermanoverthere
Dandrogyny
theothermanoverthere
Dandrogyny
theothermanoverthere
To every one that is talking about learning everything they would be able to know and s**t like that. You do know that they are starting think that the brain can only hold so much info before it can't learn anything else? This would mean you would need ways to make more room up there. So have fun with a mac stiking out of the side of you head.
I don't get why one would want to learn everything when they ARE going to eventually die anyway. Sounds kind of pointless.
I'm talking about in the context of living for ever.
Well if there's a "forever" then you can't possibly ever catch up with the endless possibilities of knowledge. So that's kinda moot also.
My point that you missed was that you might not be able to learn everything or even close to it. There might be a limited amount you can learn.
'i][Headwall] Hence it being... pointless??
We would want to live forever because we fear death. But the idea of immortality is really flawed because assuming it was possible to live forever, the Sun is still going to expand out and swallow us all.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
Immortality of the consciousness is something more interesting to me. But of course, you would have to get used to 'dying'.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quarkiness
We would want to live forever because we fear death. But the idea of immortality is really flawed because assuming it was possible to live forever, the Sun is still going to expand out and swallow us all.
We have a couple billion years until that happens. Far long enough to deal with that problem.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff