6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
CuAnnan
Patton
Because Ireland pulled it off a century ago

What?
Ireland has been independent from the United Kingdom for almost a century, and seems to be muddling through well enough. So why should the same not eventually prove true for Scotland?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Patton
Ireland has been independent from the United Kingdom for almost a century, and seems to be muddling through well enough. So why should the same not eventually prove true for Scotland?

Éire left the United Kingdom in the 30s and the Common wealth in 49

Heroic Hero

I was surprised that the no-side won by how much they did, even though in my opinion it was a good choice. I felt like the slogan was geared toward yes being positive in the question. After all, would you rather follow someone that is saying "yes we can" or follow someone that's saying "no we can't." The yes side sounded like they had momentum going for them from the positive question but I read that a large number or sort of "silent majority" people voted to remain in the union.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?
Ireland had more Issues with England than Scotland does. Many Irish people still have a grudge against England. It is not about what it doable, but about what is convenient, desirable and practical. With the UK the Scottish have a strong economy and everything is already sorted out. If they left they would have to work on things they don't necessarily want to deal with.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
CuAnnan
Patton

Éire left the United Kingdom in the 30s and the Common wealth in 49
And Ireland was an independent nation long before either of those dates. The Constitution of the Irish Free State (adopted October 25, 1922) predates the Constitution of Ireland (which came into force December 29, 1937) by more than a decade. The Anglo-Irish Treaty & Constitution on the Irish Free State can even be complimented with a Royal Proclamation, also issued in 1922. By the time of the Statute of Westminster (December 11, 1931), I don't think anyone doubted that Ireland was already its own state...the Dominion of Ireland was already de facto no different than the Dominion of South Africa. Whatever documents were bickered over post-'22, the ink was already dry and reality need only wait for bureaucracy. This does depend, of course, upon whether one puts more faith in the idea of de facto or de jure .

Royal proclamation re the Irish Free State, dated December 6, 1922: historicaldocuments.org.uk

Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
AliKat1988
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?
Ireland had more Issues with England than Scotland does. Many Irish people still have a grudge against England. It is not about what it doable, but about what is convenient, desirable and practical. With the UK the Scottish have a strong economy and everything is already sorted out. If they left they would have to work on things they don't necessarily want to deal with.
My point is that I believe that the Scots are just as capable as any other member of the Commonwealth in working through these issues...they just need a little faith in their own capacities. And its not like they going to leave the Commonwealth, only the UK.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Patton
AliKat1988
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?
My point is that I believe that the Scots are just as capable as any other member of the Commonwealth in working through these issues...they just need a little faith in their own capacities. And its not like they going to leave the Commonwealth, only the UK.
The UK has a stronger economy than the European commonwealth. I don't think it is lack of confidence but convenience for why they would stay. The status quo is pleasant and the alternative of self rule is not that much better and will take a lot of extra work to sort through.
Because independence and liberty are awesome. To be fair, so are stability and security, which is largely why half the Scots didn't vote for independence.
Patton
AliKat1988
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?

Firstly, they do not want to.

Secondly; why ought they? They can have faith in their own capacities, and wish to stay a part of the UK, as they have done.
randomuser2349
We all know about the Scotland referendum.

Now that is an assumption.

By a fairly thin margin, the No vote won. However, prior to this, I noticed that in polls online and in comment sections, the dominant voice was pro-Scotland independence. Why is that?

Mainly because people that want independence are more vocal. In fact as we where I live are going through a similar process most people are alright with the status as is, do not care one way or the other, uninformed about any movement to change status and what the change means. The more vocal and smallest group the one getting all the coverage by the media is the one that wants independence. In fact one of the main reasons why they want to stay the same is that it provides security and change is difficult. Also that citizenship grants them certain rights.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
from blue to
Exoth XIII
from blue to
The internet is where the slacktivists are.

That is an excellent word, worthy of addition to my vocabulary.

The podcast Skeptoid has a great explanation of the term and the problems with slacktivism. It's Skeptoid #419: Slacktivism Raising Awareness. Not the first place I heard the term, but the best description I've heard of it.
I got the portmanteau. It sums up in a single word everything that was wrong with the 99% rallies.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?

Because the Union between Scotland and England was one of consent while Ireland had never consented.

Irish national identity is more real that the current Scottish national identity what is basically that bloody braveheart movie
Glorious Leader Luna
Patton
CuAnnan
Patton

What?

Because the Union between Scotland and England was one of consent while Ireland had never consented.

Irish national identity is more real that the current Scottish national identity what is basically that bloody braveheart movie

None of that contradicts anything.

Scotland is no less capable of being an independent nation. Which is the point.
Scotland got lucky, if they actually became independant they would be in so much s**t.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Patton
And Ireland was an independent nation long before either of those dates. The Constitution of the Irish Free State (adopted October 25, 1922) predates the Constitution of Ireland (which came into force December 29, 1937) by more than a decade.

With the King as the head of state

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces