Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roseanne Barr, Spike Lee, and many other prominent actors/celebrities/etc have been tweeting
the home addresses of (who they think) are the homes of George Zimmerman's family. Many with a wink and a nod saying people should take matters into their own hands. Even House speaker Nanci Pelosi said "“We all supported an investigation that is taking place. I think that’s an issue in the justice system, and if that doesn’t seem to be working, then consider some other options"
OTHER OPTIONS? What the heck?

While for now the facts in the court of public opinion seem to favor Trayvon, just the fact the media and everyone is making this a purely racial thing and calling for vigilante justice is disheartening

You also have the case of Obama deciding to kill a New Mexican Muslim cleric without a jury/trial/etc because he said he was suspected of terrorist ties. Both his top cop Eric Holder and
made it sound like the government can just kill American citizens without a trial whenever, and the FBI head Richard Muller said he couldnt answer if its forbidden to kill a US citizen within America

And yeah bin Laden wasnt a very nice guy, but going in their for a "kill, not a capture mission"
in the dead of night; then refusing to show any evidence of the raid or the dumping of his body off the side of a ship...

Im just wondering what all this says about America? When Obama has aggressively gone after whistleblowers following the footsteps of Daniel Elsberg, as well as deciding people should die without a trial. Or celebrities and our own politicians directing people to go after certain people and giving home addresses...I just worry what this makes us look like? And whats it say about, HOWEVER FLAWED, our justice system we pride ourselves on?

WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR LEGAL SYSTEM? The one we pride ourselves on?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I find it pretty hypocritical to ask for vigilante justice against someone whose crime was essentially a misguided attempt at vigilante justice.

It's imperative that this go through the courts and that we get the result we want.
Yoshpet
I find it pretty hypocritical to ask for vigilante justice against someone whose crime was essentially a misguided attempt at vigilante justice.

It's imperative that this go through the courts and that we get the result we want.

I agree! Even if there was footage of him in a KKK hoodie shooting Trayvon execution style, we still need to honor trial systems. We already have the government making it sound like Habeas Corpus and a number of other things are null and void.

When both politicians and celebs people worship give the idea that people are above the law, and the legal system doesnt matter...just kind of a scary precedent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff