Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,325 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Back when I was in grade school, bullying was ignored and was seen as "Oh he/she is just playing", my personal favorite, "they're only doing that because they like you." And of course, "Ignore it, they'll stop." But it never stops. Self-esteem plummets, suicides happen, people bring knives and guns to school and that victim is seen as the problem. Not to mention, teachers/counselors, etc, tend to take the other person's side. Trying to stick up for myself or for my friends ended up getting me suspended or after-school detention.

I was tortured throughout my school years. I loathed having to go to school. Being beat up on, spit on, trash thrown at, tripped, pushed down the stairs, and shoved against lockers wasn't exactly my idea of a school life. I had to go through psychiatric treatment because it got to the point I wanted to commit suicide, let alone, hurt my "fellow schoolmates" .

Just in the more recent years, First Lady Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Megan Fox and whomever else in the celebrity world is trying to put a stop to that. It's interesting and disbelieving that someone like Megan Fox was bullied but in any case...

Apparently, people are now caring because bullying has gotten much worst and has spread throughout social internet webpages. Cyber bullying didn't just start over night. It's been happening for years. It is very upsetting that nobody did anything back in the day, or thought nothing of it. Now all of a sudden, it's "a criminal offense" to bully other people?

Thinking more about it, it pisses me off that nobody gave a damn then. What makes now so much more of a big deal?
Because some people realize that bullying is a vital experience that helps prepare children for their adult lives. It helps them fit into their stations in life. Children have to understand that the world doesn't just get along like teachers want them to think & there are wars & fights & all kinds of conflict. Bullying prepares them for this by letting them experience what their lifelong roles as victims or aggressors are going to be like.

Children shouldn't be allowed to graduate from high school without having been a bully or a long-term victim. Society can't function without winners and losers knowing their roles, and a properly beaten loser knows they can't try to change their station in life.

Aged Lunatic

Atog v1771561
Because some people realize that bullying is a vital experience that helps prepare children for their adult lives. It helps them fit into their stations in life. Children have to understand that the world doesn't just get along like teachers want them to think & there are wars & fights & all kinds of conflict. Bullying prepares them for this by letting them experience what their lifelong roles as victims or aggressors are going to be like.

Children shouldn't be allowed to graduate from high school without having been a bully or a long-term victim. Society can't function without winners and losers knowing their roles, and a properly beaten loser knows they can't try to change their station in life.

Because as we know, people NEVER change their stations in life. Ever.

Oh, and you're the same person you were in high school too. That never changes.

rolleyes

What kills is me how you derive insanity like that from the common sense of "look, not everyone's going to like you and you need to learn how to deal with it."

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
It's sad that it took this long for people to start paying attention to how damaging bullying can be but honestly, I'm not going to complain that it's getting attention now.

The world is never going to be a perfect place but we should try to fix the things we can.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I don't know why it's suddenly become a big public issue, I'm just glad that it is now and wish that it had become more prominent sooner. I imagine that someone somewhere got tired of bullying getting swept under the rug.

Aged Lunatic

Because kids nowadays are little bitches, as are their parents, who were probably bullied themselves and can't get over it. neutral
Because all drones must follow the prescribed pattern. Overprotecting people will lead to a future of people that are shocked that they can't get a job because they think they are entitled to it.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
GunsmithKitten
Atog v1771561

Because as we know, people NEVER change their stations in life. Ever.

rolleyes

Shhhh. If we ignore the troll he'll go away.

8,325 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Atog v1771561

Hm, I somewhat see your point, but does that explain the mental impact left on someone, especially when it comes to taking their own life? Can the person be stable enough to take on the role of "dealing with bullying" or just give in and fail in life? I guess it "weeds out" people in society, from the top dog to the low life, I suppose, but a life is still a life no matter how you look at it. It takes push after push after push to break someone. Is that really acceptable?

Quotable Poster

8,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
bullying is now an issue due to the fact several people are seeking professional counseling/therapy/whateveryouwanttocallit. & alot of people do not have the money for such things and a lot of medical insurance companies wont pay for things like deperession or bi polar disorder which are commonly linked to bullying for younger people. & the government health insurance is paying for these things so tehy figure they will put out PSAs in hopes that adressing the issue will make people more aware of its negative reprocussions.
because OH MY POOR SPECIAL BABY
Little Starpuff
Atog v1771561

Hm, I somewhat see your point, but does that explain the mental impact left on someone, especially when it comes to taking their own life? Can the person be stable enough to take on the role of "dealing with bullying" or just give in and fail in life? I guess it "weeds out" people in society, from the top dog to the low life, I suppose, but a life is still a life no matter how you look at it. It takes push after push after push to break someone. Is that really acceptable?

Suicide is an indicator that someone has a screw loose to begin with.

Aged Lunatic

Old Blue Collar Joe
Because all drones must follow the prescribed pattern. Overprotecting people will lead to a future of people that are shocked that they can't get a job because they think they are entitled to it.

You don't have to go back to law of the jungle to prevent overprotecting and oversanitizing. Yes, sometimes we go to far in that direction, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't

A: Say to bullies "you assault or harass people, we'll bust your a** for it"
B: Prepare kids to deal with them.

Aged Lunatic

Captain Verd
because OH MY POOR SPECIAL BABY

Yea, you little s**t. You say a kid with 5 inches and 100 pounds on you put a knife to your neck and put his d**k in you while he friends watched? SUCK IT UP! I'm not pampering you by dealing with it!

*pat pat pat*

You've got your sociopath badass credit now dear, now run along and play.
GunsmithKitten
Old Blue Collar Joe

You don't have to go back to law of the jungle to prevent overprotecting and oversanitizing. Yes, sometimes we go to far in that direction, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't

A: Say to bullies "you assault or harass people, we'll bust your a** for it"
B: Prepare kids to deal with them.

Let's clarify one thing. There's a big damn difference between words to someone and assault. Damn. Prepare kids to deal with them? I grew up being bullied.
It's turning into a land of candyassed retards. "Oh!! They said I'm fat/ugly/stupid!" Well, you need counseling.
No wonder the work force is a bunch of whiney a** union pricks that think they are entitled to whatever they want.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff