Welcome to Gaia! ::

SchizoSpazz
Columbine.

When people realized kids had their breaking points, and may pop a cap in someone's a**, or 30 peoples asses, then they freaked out. I got left alone after columbine.

That's the only explanation I can offer.

It's weird how Columbine wasn't the first, but it seems to be the defining event.
Nonesuch Solo
SchizoSpazz
Columbine.

When people realized kids had their breaking points, and may pop a cap in someone's a**, or 30 peoples asses, then they freaked out. I got left alone after columbine.

It's weird how Columbine wasn't the first, but it seems to be the defining event.

Not really. We just understand the psychological effects of bullying now more than ever before. These aren't just fads, they're trends which grow as our understanding of implications and methodology grows.
As for the topic? Adults keep trying to interfere with children's social lives and often do so in ways that are counterproductive. You are forced into this machine in Kindergarten and in some cases you're stuck with the same people for THIRTEEN YEARS simply because of where you live if your parents can't afford sending you to a private school. If there's someone you don't get along with, you're screwed. If you try to stay away from them and they feel sad about it, the adults in your life tell you to suck it up, you HAVE to play together. Who cares what you think? A lot of the social bullying in young children starts out as an attempt to deter someone you don't like from playing with you. Instead of helping you figure out how to resolve your differences, how to politely ask for more personal space, how to have more fun together, it's just platitudes and ridiculousness of "We're All Friends Here!" and "Share With Everybody!" And when your attempts to exclude somebody start damaging their emotional stability, then you're the bully--and at that point, you're marginalized with all the other "bad" kids and most adults won't bother trying to help you find more productive ways to get closer to what you want. They'll just tell you that you can't do what's been working so far, because it makes you a Bad Child.

Why don't we just invent better Pax and be done with it? rolleyes
The Sky Does Not Bow
Nonesuch Solo
SchizoSpazz
Columbine.

Not really. We just understand the psychological effects of bullying now more than ever before. These aren't just fads, they're trends which grow as our understanding of implications and methodology grows.

When people think "school shooting" they think Columbine. Perhaps it's because it lasted long enough that news could get there and put on a show for the whole country?
Nonesuch Solo
The Sky Does Not Bow
Nonesuch Solo
SchizoSpazz
Columbine.

When people think "school shooting" they think Columbine. Perhaps it's because it lasted long enough that news could get there and put on a show for the whole country?

I'm not so sure. It's the same as every other aspect of psychology and sociology: our methods have improved and so our inferences have become more astute.
The Sky Does Not Bow
Nonesuch Solo
The Sky Does Not Bow
Nonesuch Solo
SchizoSpazz
Columbine.

I'm not so sure. It's the same as every other aspect of psychology and sociology: our methods have improved and so our inferences have become more astute.

So people noticed and remember Columbine more because of advances in sociology and psychology? Remember, this is the general population we're talking about. People who held vigils because the one girl was claimed a martyr. People who were completely terrified of anybody in their school who wore a trenchcoat. (School officials who harassed trenchcoat-wearers after the fact Just In Case they were part of it all.) Nobody made a fuss after Pearl, and that was a mere two years prior.
I'd say we are just becoming more and more PC, and it's just something that rustles the jimmies of school boards who don't want to get attacked by hoards of soccer moms. Not saying it's a bad change, just that it's more of a "we don't want people to think the school is letting harassment happen on school grounds!" thing, and less of a "we don't want kids bullied at all" thing.

Dapper Phantom

Joan Darr
Dandrogyny
I think it's because bullying-related suicides are on the rise.

The weird thing is I don't get why that is. I was viciously bullied and that NEVER drove me even close to suicide. I had suicidal issues for completely different reasons.

What is "vicious bullying" to you? Just want to know if you've actually seen the worst of what packs of progressively younger psychopaths actually do to toy with their victims. Long term games devoted to exploiting and crushing the spirit of someone through false camaraderie and coordinated backstabbing I consider worse than short term humiliation. The former, they actually strategize to get someone to feel as helpless worthless and alone as possible.
It was psychologically vicious. I was never beaten up, thank Sagan. I was dealing with long-term humiliation amongst my peers, about 4 years and it rolled over into high school. I became goth and a recluse.
Well, over the years, people have been more aware about bullying. I think it began when Facebook and Twitter got really popular, because thats where people started to get cyber bullied. I think adults started to take notice about how bullying isn't only on the internet, but at school. Also, all these new stories about teens committing suicide really brings awareness. A lot of celebrities have been making their fans notice this too. Like Ellen DeGeneres, she always talks about treating people with love and equality. I think Bullying has just become something more widespread. It has a lot to do with the development of technology. And just plain ol' development of awareness.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff