Welcome to Gaia! ::

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
Columbine.

When people realized kids had their breaking points, and may pop a cap in someone's a**, or 30 peoples asses, then they freaked out. I got left alone after columbine.

That's the only explanation I can offer.

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
XxEchidnaxX
You know what, I kind of want to know why too. I want to know why suddenly it's this hot issue. Now, I haven't been in highschool for a while (is six years a long time?) but I didn't see a lot of bullying when I went to school. Some, sure. But not to the extent that you hear about now. I find it difficult to believe that children are that much more different now then they were then. But if they really are, wtf happened? I am really concerned that being the case. What created a whole generation of bullies? I'm not even sure I believe that it is as much as a problem as we are being lead to believe or if it's just some kind of hype. I don't know what the purpose would be for propagating that false information...But like I said, it's just really difficult for me to believe that kids have gotten so vicious and cruel.

I graduated about 9 years ago, bullying definitely happened when I was in school and it could be extremely vicious.

I think sometimes if you're not in the circles that bully or are bullied it's easy to not notice.
Macaroni Junior
Because kids nowadays are little bitches, as are their parents, who were probably bullied themselves and can't get over it. neutral

This.
People are have always been 'bullied'. It's not a nice thing in the slightest, and while it can be detrimental at the time, the kid will come out stronger and wiser than others. There's not always going to be an authority figure to come along and punish the bad guy, and kids need to learn how to stick up for themselves sooner.
Atog v1771561
Because some people realize that bullying is a vital experience that helps prepare children for their adult lives. It helps them fit into their stations in life. Children have to understand that the world doesn't just get along like teachers want them to think & there are wars & fights & all kinds of conflict. Bullying prepares them for this by letting them experience what their lifelong roles as victims or aggressors are going to be like.

Children shouldn't be allowed to graduate from high school without having been a bully or a long-term victim. Society can't function without winners and losers knowing their roles, and a properly beaten loser knows they can't try to change their station in life.

I hope you are aware that bullying can also cause murdrrous monster like me that doesn't think twice about killing someone if needed? That passed most of her childhoon just learning how to kill efficiently?
Kashkee
Macaroni Junior
Because kids nowadays are little bitches, as are their parents, who were probably bullied themselves and can't get over it. neutral

This.
People are have always been 'bullied'. It's not a nice thing in the slightest, and while it can be detrimental at the time, the kid will come out stronger and wiser than others. There's not always going to be an authority figure to come along and punish the bad guy, and kids need to learn how to stick up for themselves sooner.

That, or they go out and shoot the school up or kill themselves. I think its a bit much to assume kids always come out stronger or wiser for their experience. Some get out and out destroyed, and I think its rude to assume people who react poorly are lesser or weaker for doing so.

That's what's so weird about this whole thing- see, in the adult world, there is almost always an adult or HR department or lawyer or boss to come to the aide of adults for assaults, harassment, etc. And, when there is not, management or society or the government makes damn sure that changes right quicker than a hurry.

So, just what kind of world are we preparing kids for exactly then?

Aged Lunatic

Kashkee
People are have always been 'bullied'. It's not a nice thing in the slightest, and while it can be detrimental at the time, the kid will come out stronger and wiser than others.

Yep, nothing says make a kid wiser and stronger like knifepoint rape or sexual assault, eh?
I believe a lot of it has to do with the increase of competition in our society. Before internet, cell phones, etc. there were only a limited amount of opportunities for a bully to access a target. You read about cyber bullying, malicious texts from bullies who got a hold of a victim's cell number, and the increased need to be popular by squashing those weaker around you.

My personal theory is this. In a society where appearance is becoming a more and more crucial aspect of likability and acceptance, those who lack "the standard" (Or I would the outrageous standard of physical acceptability, set by the media and fashion industries) suffer as more obvious targets by those who need to bully others to improve their own self esteem and be accepted by their peers...

I would also add the the violence that was unacceptable in the media 20-25 years ago is now a common trait in movies, games, comics and the like. 11 year old kids watch movies where people are brutally beaten, murdered in awful manners, maimed in violent confrontations. All during a time when personality and behavior traits are forming, when public acceptance is becoming more personally crucial. Since younger generations are more susceptible to incorporating this in their own behaviors (again, acceptance and self-esteem) those who are "lacking" become targets of an increasingly violent and shallow society.

This is more of a hypothesis than a theory. I've been studying this phenomenon on and off, but I still have yet to put in place all the factors that lead to bullying. A question still remains. Why would two people, exposed to the same factors in personal life, media, etc. Have different outcomes, one becoming a bully and the other not?

-Personality traits in gene coding?
-Could some be preconditioned for bullying?
-If so, why such an increase?

So many questions and theories out there. Its mind-boggling, but I cannot nail down a definite answer.
Because back in the day bullying used to be only at school...now it follows you home burning_eyes
Little Starpuff
Back when I was in grade school, bullying was ignored and was seen as "Oh he/she is just playing", my personal favorite, "they're only doing that because they like you." And of course, "Ignore it, they'll stop." But it never stops. Self-esteem plummets, suicides happen, people bring knives and guns to school and that victim is seen as the problem. Not to mention, teachers/counselors, etc, tend to take the other person's side. Trying to stick up for myself or for my friends ended up getting me suspended or after-school detention.

I was tortured throughout my school years. I loathed having to go to school. Being beat up on, spit on, trash thrown at, tripped, pushed down the stairs, and shoved against lockers wasn't exactly my idea of a school life. I had to go through psychiatric treatment because it got to the point I wanted to commit suicide, let alone, hurt my "fellow schoolmates" .

Just in the more recent years, First Lady Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Megan Fox and whomever else in the celebrity world is trying to put a stop to that. It's interesting and disbelieving that someone like Megan Fox was bullied but in any case...

Apparently, people are now caring because bullying has gotten much worst and has spread throughout social internet webpages. Cyber bullying didn't just start over night. It's been happening for years. It is very upsetting that nobody did anything back in the day, or thought nothing of it. Now all of a sudden, it's "a criminal offense" to bully other people?

Thinking more about it, it pisses me off that nobody gave a damn then. What makes now so much more of a big deal?

Because the media ran out of other s**t to blow out of proportion.

Familiar Smoker

You're looking a gift horse in the mouth...don't.
Social media and global connectedness allows people to see what's going on at all times. And as such, people start giving more shits, or they at least appear to give more of them while hopping on a few bandwagons.

Dapper Phantom

I think it's because bullying-related suicides are on the rise.

The weird thing is I don't get why that is. I was viciously bullied and that NEVER drove me even close to suicide. I had suicidal issues for completely different reasons.

Fanatical Zealot

GunsmithKitten
Kashkee
People are have always been 'bullied'. It's not a nice thing in the slightest, and while it can be detrimental at the time, the kid will come out stronger and wiser than others.

Yep, nothing says make a kid wiser and stronger like knifepoint rape or sexual assault, eh?

That's not bullying for god sakes!

That's like saying it's teasing to joke about someone's dead mom. O_o

Aged Lunatic

Suicidesoldier#1

That's not bullying for god sakes!

How so?

Newbie Noob

Dandrogyny
I think it's because bullying-related suicides are on the rise.

The weird thing is I don't get why that is. I was viciously bullied and that NEVER drove me even close to suicide. I had suicidal issues for completely different reasons.

What is "vicious bullying" to you? Just want to know if you've actually seen the worst of what packs of progressively younger psychopaths actually do to toy with their victims. Long term games devoted to exploiting and crushing the spirit of someone through false camaraderie and coordinated backstabbing I consider worse than short term humiliation. The former, they actually strategize to get someone to feel as helpless worthless and alone as possible.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff