Absolutely not. 0.25 25.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 28 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Romantic Hunter

11,650 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Object of Affection 150
Personal Accounts of Strangers Dealing with Racism/Sexism that I had read/watch about in the last week:

Some Statistical Accounts of Strangers Dealing with Racism/Sexism that only took a few seconds to find:

Personal Quotes from my own trusted friends (most are female, so bias of course):

"I realized I can't trust people who most people are supposed to trust... cops...lawyers...therapists...my parents...If a guy (or girl) with a cool looking tattoo and piercings, or someone on the internet asks, I can tell them everything and I'll spill my life story. Best part is they're generally cool with it and understand without judging me..." - My sister, Age 15, Tonight

"saw it on craigslist. I'd apply but I can't handle nerd boys" - Female, Age 23, Date: 08/23/2014

"I think the reason I was let go from my job was because of the fact that I had accidentally let someone know I was going to the therapist... At least I know now not to talk to anyone about anything personal anymore..." - F, 23, In the last three months

"When we had parties at the sorority, we always made sure that no girl left alone drunk [because of the chance of rape]..." - F, 23, four months ago, talking about her experience in University in the middle of Midwest.

"I realized after reading a news article that I always look in the back of my car before I walk in and I asked my brother...[he] never does that" - F, 22, Around 6 Months ago

"I don't like going to Game Night [at the local board game shop] with out [my boyfriend]... around..." - F, 23, Around a year ago

"When I turned in my application, they asked me if I was sure I wanted to go to China, especially since people are afraid of black people there..." - F, 25, A year ago when I was volunteering in China to teach English

Things I've heard several times from other people that are happening in my community (majority white, upper-middle class suburbia of local cities):

A new High School was built in my district seven years ago, several parents complained that it was going to be a "hispanic" school, which would cause more gang violence because the caucasian percentage was a bit less than 60% (majority of schools in the district have at least 60% or more caucasian students at each school). Parents pulled out students in complaint with the district and requested to be moved to other schools that were much farther away from their homes. Now even though new school has better equipment then most of the other schools (better theater and sports equipment because it is well), school now suffers from graffiti and other gang problems. Also it is generally called the "Dump School" (it was built a few miles away from a dump, but because of violence has become the new dump school)

When I was in High School, there was a young male teacher who had several sexual relationships with students on the Volleyball team. Even though the students were never really named, people found out within the first three weeks who it was and went to defend the teacher (who according to many was a nice guy?) calling the girls "sluts" and other bad names. I had when I first found out they apparently went to the church (back when I was still mormon and young) accidentally slut shamed them mentally. I realized that was a mistake since she was a very nice girl, but it happens a lot.

What is the point of this post?

I won't say I'm some feminism messiah (though I am a feminist and a humanist) and that the world has not improved in the last two centuries, that would be discrediting people who worked hard in history to make my country better. I will say that while we are on the right step, we still have a long way to go before I can say there is minimal racism in America.

And maybe I'm wrong about Canada, maybe it's not a problem there. I don't know if it is different social system in Canada but it's possible it's still very similar stance to where I live where people say they believe they're not racist but behind close doors warn their children about the "sins" of the world and that when you try to call them out they say to their kids "I have gay/black/Asian/muslim friends...", but from what I experienced and heard from other people while visiting China and working in America and reading about things on the internet from other friends of different denominations all around the world in either developing or First World Countries. It's still a problem.

I still have friends who couldn't get jobs in engineering fields, even though they had a degree possibly because they had complicated very "arabic sounding" names in Australia. I still don't feel safe walking to my car at night, even yesterday when I walked down three flights of stairs from my new gaming job alone. I still have parents who watch news saying that racism is gone, that the majority of feminist are sexualizing women instead of letting women fear to be who they want, that my friends who are gay are not people I should hang around with because they'll lead me down satan's path, that me being allowed to believe what I want or that I am not a psychopath because I want to improve myself from years of emotional abuse by going to therapy. I have troubles getting jobs that I am 90% qualified for because I haven't gotten my degree and I can't go to college because my parents don't think I'm worthy for college even though I worked hard to recover and become who I am today which means I need to get a good paying job to go to college.

It, discrimination, still very much happens, just in smaller, more secret doses, or made publicly as a mockery on TV news or on the internet. It happens even in the job force that people try to get into. So saying that people only claim to have disadvantages and not accept advantages does not sound like a smart statement to make. No matter who anyone is, people should not have to exploit advantages or disadvantages to anything if they want a career in a field and are qualified for it.

Canada and their version of "Affirmative Action" in the Public Workforce

Now do I think that there should be a quota like they do for colleges in the US for government positions in Canada? Probably not. I understand why they might do it in Canada (if they really do, where is the law/bill/memo that has this written down that law enforcement or other government jobs must fill by quota, where's the reference link, this is ED. Your professor stated this, you should have probably ask him where he/she heard this from).

Minorities, whether you have been born of a family with a minority race, come from a single parent home, or a low income, do still go through current social disadvantages that make it harder for them to graduate and compete with others that are not so socially disadvantaged (a college educated, white child from a middle-class or higher. So the government may be trying to use an affirmative action of sorts to try and hire a more diverse group, to award those that may or may not have worked harder than those of not so socially disadvantaged situations. Whether this is fair is something that is still up to debate (many schools are getting sued in the US because of Affirmative Action).

However, I think it goes like this, if you go into a job and show that you have better merits and show that you will work harder than most of your contenders who may have worked as hard or harder to get to be in the same spot, this will probably not be a problem. However, if you just assume that you will get a job simply based on merit without visually representing your merit (because us humans are very visual and very first impressions based creatures) you probably won't get a job. So work hard for the job you want, show your ambition and passion and you probably won't have a problem with this.

The only reason the government is asking for a percentage is that until there is no more inequality in the world (or at least such a minimal amount that it is no longer a problem like stated above) they are doing that to force people that may be racist (which really, there should just be a better government set up to always do assessments on people to make sure they're still qualified for the job of hiring others and better penalization measures taken against racism/sexism in the workplace) to hire people that they wouldn't hire because their racist.

So blame the mistakes of the few (or a lot of times the majority but they're all in the closet about their discrimination) that make it more difficult for the many.

Romantic Hunter

11,650 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Object of Affection 150
Also, because that was a long post here's the tl;dr version of above statement:

1) Racism/Sexism is prominent, even outside of the US, you probably haven't noticed it and didn't realize that maybe we should all just not have any disadvantages at all (instead of stating to just exploit our advantages, the point of people griping is because they want to get rid of all advantages one sex/race may have or another, because you know peeps want EQUALITY being as equal for everyone as possible, even if there may never be true equality for people)

2) I only know about the US and a bit of China's social problems, so I may be wrong about what's going on in Canada (but probably not completely too far off)

3) You should possibly have gotten reference of your professor for his affirmative action in Canada's public workforce statement, because if not you might be letting people lie to you about things that may not be true (for all you know, your teacher is secretly racist)

4) If a type of "affirmative action" is happening, it's not the best step the government is taking against racism, it's just the easier step for them instead of having to work hard to inspect all their hiring workers every year.

5) No it's not fair for anyone, until it is, step up your game. Advertise yourself as the best and don't dilly dally, and you will probably get hired, so don't worry too much about it. You're still the majority.

Hygienic Smoker

People definitely need to shut the hell up, and get along, but looking at the history books I don't see any chance of that happening, ever. What are we going to do say "hate speech is now illegal". Nah, there is no way.

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100
God-The-RapistV2.0
The Raggedy Man
CuAnnan
The Raggedy Man
On my first day of college, my professors told us that it was going to be harder for white males to get the job than anyone else.

What job?

Police. For the longest time they hired pretty much only white people. Now, at least in Canada, they are trying to hire a more multicultural force, to represent our very multicultural country. The reason why there are still so many white police officers, is because A) they got hired before they put this policy into effect, or B) They know the right people. It really isn't easy for an un-connected white person to get the job nowadays. Not impossible, just not as easy as it used to be, when all you needed was to be white and strong.

If you have to FORCEFULLY reject viable candidates for a job just so you can hire a quota of minorities, that is not 'representative.' It is in fact the exact opposite.

This is the issue with bullshit like this. It is literally saying to Women and Visual minorities "You're not good enough to get the job on your own."

Law enforcement and other emergency response careers, more than any other, should be merit based. If you can't get in on your own, you shouldn't get in at all.
You're looking at it completely wrong, these people are viable candidates who probably would have been looked over, not people who don't know how to do the job they're trained to do. It's not "you're not good enough to get the job on your own," it's "we would have hired another white guy if it was up to us," that is the problem that needs to get dealt with there. You basically admit this yourself when you say in your next post of course they hire the guy with a white sounding name, groupthink!
Revolutionary Justice
God-The-RapistV2.0
The Raggedy Man
CuAnnan
The Raggedy Man
On my first day of college, my professors told us that it was going to be harder for white males to get the job than anyone else.

What job?

Police. For the longest time they hired pretty much only white people. Now, at least in Canada, they are trying to hire a more multicultural force, to represent our very multicultural country. The reason why there are still so many white police officers, is because A) they got hired before they put this policy into effect, or B) They know the right people. It really isn't easy for an un-connected white person to get the job nowadays. Not impossible, just not as easy as it used to be, when all you needed was to be white and strong.

If you have to FORCEFULLY reject viable candidates for a job just so you can hire a quota of minorities, that is not 'representative.' It is in fact the exact opposite.

This is the issue with bullshit like this. It is literally saying to Women and Visual minorities "You're not good enough to get the job on your own."

Law enforcement and other emergency response careers, more than any other, should be merit based. If you can't get in on your own, you shouldn't get in at all.
You're looking at it completely wrong, these people are viable candidates who probably would have been looked over, not people who don't know how to do the job they're trained to do. It's not "you're not good enough to get the job on your own," it's "we would have hired another white guy if it was up to us," that is the problem that needs to get dealt with there. You basically admit this yourself when you say in your next post of course they hire the guy with a white sounding name, groupthink!

The solution is NOT to hire people based on sex or race though. The solution is to make all applicants genderless and raceless.

It's very simple. Have every applicant submit their application with a number, not a name, and have any physical tests done by someone impartial to the hiring aspect with limited contact and only a number for reference.

This is how all impartial situations should happen. Trials should be done this way. Hiring should be done this way. School exams should be done this way.

If you don't know the sex or age or race or orientation of a person, you can't discriminate based on it.
It ******** sucks, I got refused for a job not too long ago because they have the job to a woman, one I clearly outqualified on pretty much every level.
But theír male to female ratio was to high and they are forced to hire females, blacks and disabled people.
I'm fine with equal chances, but if i'm just the better choice I don't want to be ******** over because the other person happened to be female.
Brothern
The Raggedy Man
My point is that because they aren't really hiring that many white people right now means that it would be harder for me to get in, that is all. I'm not complaining, I'm stating it how it is.

Every couple of years a sociologist performs the same cookie-cutter study whereby they send out the exact same résumé to employers, but modify the name to be more "white" or "Middle Eastern" or "black" sounding. You know, a résumé with the name on top of it saying Robert Smith versus Muhammad Yousuf versus DeShawn Wilson.

Every single time without fail the "white" sounding names get more callbacks from employers. http://www.uh.edu/~adkugler/Bertrand&Mullainathan.pdf
I'd really like to know how the race of the employer affects this.
Exoth XIII
The Raggedy Man
So I initially posted this in the GD. that was a mistake.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quote:
Doesn't really seem fair, does it?

If I were a minority, I'd be insulted.
What, you think I need help, I can't make it like those white guys over there?
Quote:

So, essentially, everyone needs to sit down, shut up, and get along.

Relax.
We've got ponies now.

ponies don't suit you
or maybe they do
can't tell
hard to read that business guy

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII
The Raggedy Man

Quote:

Quote:

Relax.
We've got ponies now.

ponies don't suit you
or maybe they do
can't tell

I'm actually not wearing my Charles Foster Ofdensen outfit. This is more or less what I look like IRL.
Exoth XIII
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII
The Raggedy Man

Quote:

Quote:

Relax.
We've got ponies now.

ponies don't suit you
or maybe they do
can't tell

I'm actually not wearing my Charles Foster Ofdensen outfit. This is more or less what I look like IRL.

So, you are CFO.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII
The Raggedy Man

Quote:

Quote:

Relax.
We've got ponies now.

ponies don't suit you
or maybe they do
can't tell

So, you are CFO.[/quote
I don't have his kind of money.
But I do have a deceptively wide array of interests and hobbies, including several forms of martial arts.
I think I'm also more charismatic than he is? We don't get to see him schmoozing much.
Exoth XIII
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII
the reverend silver
Exoth XIII

Relax.
We've got ponies now.

ponies don't suit you
or maybe they do
can't tell

So, you are CFO.[/quote
I don't have his kind of money.
But I do have a deceptively wide array of interests and hobbies, including several forms of martial arts.
I think I'm also more charismatic than he is? We don't get to see him schmoozing much.

You don't yet.

Yeah, that's a match.
The Raggedy Man

WARNING: This topic is about Race Issues.

First I'm gonna tell a little story, which ties into my main point:

On my first day of college, my professors told us that it was going to be harder for white males to get the job than anyone else. If you are a woman or a visible minority you have a much higher chance of being hired in this specific field. Also, when I was signing up for a tuition rebate, there was one question that stood out. It was one of those "For special Considerations, Check all that apply" questions. It was: Are you (a) A visible Minority, (b) Aboriginal/First Nations (c) A woman. Basically, what this means is "Are you anything but a white guy?". Doesn't really seem fair, does it?

Which brings me to my main point. Everyone only sees the disadvantages that their specific race/gender etc faces. Both men and woman love to point out the double standards that each gender faces, and finds it laughable that the other gender feels worse off. The same is true for race. Do I see where other races are disadvantaged? No, not really. Does that mean that said disadvantages do not exist? Absolutely not. People only see where their race is disadvantaged, and where other races have it good.

"The grass is much greener on the other side"

User Image

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
God-The-RapistV2.0
Brothern
Every couple of years a sociologist performs the same cookie-cutter study whereby they send out the exact same résumé to employers, but modify the name to be more "white" or "Middle Eastern" or "black" sounding. You know, a résumé with the name on top of it saying Robert Smith versus Muhammad Yousuf versus DeShawn Wilson.

Every single time without fail the "white" sounding names get more callbacks from employers. http://www.uh.edu/~adkugler/Bertrand&Mullainathan.pdf

STOP THE ******** GOD DAMN PRESSES!

Are you telling me that HUMANS who have survived for MILLIONS of years because of IN GROUP mentality STILL HAVE IN GROUP MENTALITY!?

NO. WAY.

What a shocking and totally inconceivable turn of events this has become. I think I need to sit down and assimilate this totally strange and horrible information.

With that kind of reading comprehension I can understand why you were an MRA until they wanted to kick you away.

1: White people have a harder time getting hired.
2: Study says otherwise
You: Well of course bias exists, why are you telling us!
The Herald of War
God-The-RapistV2.0
Brothern

STOP THE ******** GOD DAMN PRESSES!

Are you telling me that HUMANS who have survived for MILLIONS of years because of IN GROUP mentality STILL HAVE IN GROUP MENTALITY!?

NO. WAY.

What a shocking and totally inconceivable turn of events this has become. I think I need to sit down and assimilate this totally strange and horrible information.

With that kind of reading comprehension I can understand why you were an MRA until they wanted to kick you away.

Idiot: White people have a harder time getting hired.
Person: Study says otherwise
Blind Idiot: Well of course bias exists, why are you telling us!

Wow, you are mocking MY comprehension?

The thread was not about white people having a hard time getting hired, it is literally about how white people are TOO EASY to hire so they had to make a POLICY that specifically IGNORES white people so that more 'Minorities' can be hired and it was that policy that specifically makes it hard for his specific demo to get a job.

The study ENFORCES what the thread said.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff